Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
They're 2 big pole span sections, I just mean I end up running everything north-south instead of dealing with throwing in the random 45 or something but I like the look of more organically placed rails, its just a pain to do matched pairs through turns and stuff and keep spacing consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Factorio: now it's an RTS.

Bunch of nice QoL stuff. Actually starting to get worried that there are going to be so many useful features that I simply won't be able to use them all.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Extra glad I held off on my new blueprint books until 2.0 because of that grid offset adjustment tool.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

As someone who's spent a lot of time fiddling with grid alignment in blue-prints, holy crap!

Every update gets better, for me. I've been struggling to get into Factorio recently and I think a lot of that is just wishing I had all these 2.0 features!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Probably going to need to keep a post-it on my monitor so I can remember the difference between shift and control because I'm going to get them mixed up all the time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Quickly exceeding the amount of power UI that should be present without a Clippy to help you.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

"It looks like you're trying to cause a planetary climate catastrophe, would you like help with that?"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

"It looks like you're trying to cause a planetary climate catastrophe, would you like help with that?"

The good news is that AI is always helping with this no matter what you ask it!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

They keep adding all these helpful hotkeys. I was already pretty sure I couldn't remember them all. Now I am certain.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Teledahn posted:

They keep adding all these helpful hotkeys. I was already pretty sure I couldn't remember them all. Now I am certain.

I only recently learned there's a way to use the map to tell a train you're currently riding to go to a specific point. I'm sure there's a dozen other useful shortcuts already in I don't know.

I'm surprised there isn't a "patrol" or "loop movement" command in the RTS mode, it's an RTS staple and could be used to make a mobile defense grid of armed spidertrons.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Beacons as literal beacons to be used as waypoints. I'm sure someone can mod that in.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wonder if this means we’ll have command of the drones. Spidertrons are very late game, and it’d be a shame to keep such features unavailable so long.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

well why not posted:

I wonder if this means we’ll have command of the drones. Spidertrons are very late game, and it’d be a shame to keep such features unavailable so long.

My first thought reading this was "Take command of the drones to do what? They're pretty limited in what they can do" Then I remembered the consumable combat drones! Even if they only worked within radar range, that could be an interesting way to let you clear out biter bases without putting yourself in danger.

And since they expire, you don't immediately hit a critical mass of drones that can clear the largest nest with minimal casualties, you'll have to keep manufacturing them every time you want to clear a new area. Might need a more expensive kind of drone for balance reasons or something.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think the current combot follower research is an effective limit on the power of combots, although I say this before they've revealed much of anything about what new enemies we'll be seeing. I consider them to be slightly OP if you focus on it early; as it is right now with all the blue tech researched you can take out bases with big worms using just the gun robots and a shield, and destroyers aren't doing a lot against behemoth worms until you get into post-space-science levels of follower count.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Wube Software, Space Age Announcement posted:

... The expansion contains 4 additional planets. Each of which has its own unique theme, resource, challenges and gameplay mechanics. Most of them also have different military targets ...

Unrelated to that, I'm wondering if those manual blueprint tweaks via keyboard are saved to the blueprint or not. I would assume, yes?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Teledahn posted:

Unrelated to that, I'm wondering if those manual blueprint tweaks via keyboard are saved to the blueprint or not. I would assume, yes?

I hope so! Would be frustratingly almost useless otherwise. Really looking forwards to that tweak, I can do chunk aligned stuff easy but weird sizes are annoying as hell to get right.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope they keep the name as just Spidertron remote. Calling it RTS anything feels weird.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Real Time Spidertron

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah they should just call it remote control.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think it implies it will be used for things other than spidertron.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KillHour posted:

I think it implies it will be used for things other than spidertron.

Scorpion-tron?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Maybe they'll include the flying fortress and helicopters. I think it's pretty cool they've been hiring modders or at the very least integrating very popular mods to the game.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm curious to see what new enemies there will be. Presumably that will dictate some of what the player gets access to, in order to fight them.

And just because I feel like talking about it: I'm really enjoying my current run. I'm terrible at the game-- I've only launched a rocket once. I just straight up died after 20 minutes in my previous run. Just getting a main bus up and running has been very satisfying. I've got my mall going with most of my poo poo automated. I'm on a rail world so I'm about to set up trains, which is something I haven't done before. Very satisfying to have your base humming along and not (yet) a clusterfuck of spaghetti.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I’ve been playing an SE run on my laptop and I’m on my fifth or so planetary surface and starting to see real hits to my UPS. I may have to stow the game until 2.0 because it feels like I’m a fifth of the way into the endgame science and definitely going to run out of computing power before I get anywhere near it. I guess the only other alternative would be to buy and set up a server so the computational stuff is offloaded onto more meaningful hardware but I have no idea how to begin with that.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You should delete all planet surfaces you're not actually building on, if you haven't already, and trim the ones you are. Killing all biters and turning off pollution using console commands will also help.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A server wouldn't help. Factorio runs the simulation simultaneously on all devices.

It may be a specific mod causing the problem. There's a way to see what each mod is using for compute time, but I forget how right now. Unless your laptop is quite old, it seems surprisingly early for you to be having UPS troubles.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Yeah factorio is such a data heavy game that it wouldn't make sense for it to function like a tradition game wrt client server interactions. In factorio, each client is responsible for doing the entire simulation. The server mostly just passes around player inputs to each client. It still needs to maintain its own simulation to ensure synchronization, but it couldn't possibly send a delta of the world state every tick.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, slowdown in a SE game is almost certainly not hitting that "trim" and delete surface button aggressively enough and/or having some weird pathing bug on nauvis which can happen as well.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Turning off all biters on Nauvis helped a ton with my SE game. Cliffs as well to help with pathing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Look at this neat 60 SPM Megabase: https://imgur.com/a/s5e8hDb

The "S" stands for "Spidertron", not "science".

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Solumin posted:

Look at this neat 60 SPM Megabase: https://imgur.com/a/s5e8hDb

The "S" stands for "Spidertron", not "science".

I love all the direct insertion here! Where did you find this? I wonder if there's a factoriobox link to the save or such.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It was on the Factorio subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/1bt34m9/60_spm_megabase/

I don't see anything about sharing the save, but you might be able to ask for it!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Ha, I love the note about how expensive the train full of fish is. Although I seem to remember that you can catch fish with an inserter; I wonder how many fishing spots you would need to do that instead.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
You can't repeatedly harvest the same fishing spot on a give water tile, I think, so using inserters would be pointless since each inserter is single-use only.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
I use inserters (usually the red ones) to catch fish all the time. They're not single use, just slow.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Fish don't respawn. The only way to automate fish is rockets.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Fish don't respawn. The only way to automate fish is rockets.

The Reddit post doesn’t go into the mechanics. How do rockets enable fish automation?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

necrotic posted:

The Reddit post doesn’t go into the mechanics. How do rockets enable fish automation?

If you launch space science back into space, it gives you fish.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

necrotic posted:

If you launch a rocket with a satellite, you get space science.

If you launch a rocket with space science, you get fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Wow , never knew that one!