Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

How are you supposed to move stuff around in this game? If I want to make a "few" of something, it's pain in the rear end to collect the materials since production is all around the base. Make more belts snaking through the base from end to other end? Moving poo poo with trains feels like shooting a fly with a BFG-9000, since I don't need that much volume.

This question is really the core of the game. There are lots of ways to do it and they all present their challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

How are you supposed to move stuff around in this game? If I want to make a "few" of something, it's pain in the rear end to collect the materials since production is all around the base. Make more belts snaking through the base from end to other end? Moving poo poo with trains feels like shooting a fly with a BFG-9000, since I don't need that much volume.

Space Exploration doesn't have requester chests or they are balls deep in the tech tree so that does not work.

SE's developer considers bot logistics to be easy mode so he both put them later in the tree (they're in the cryonite branch of the second space science) and there's a required secondary mod that makes logistic bots break constantly. You never need just a few of something. Eventually you need a lot of everything. Might as well set up the infrastructure now to make it at scale and also transport it around with belts or trains.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There’s an easy text file edit you can look up, to remove the bot attrition from the bot attrition mod.

It’s not a big deal to just eat it though, there’s a network size floor for it kicking in so the 50 drones you left to do repair and replacement for each mining outpost aren’t going to overload and crash.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Ihmemies posted:

Space Exploration doesn't have requester chests or they are balls deep in the tech tree so that does not work.

If you really only need a few of something, just output it to a chest and drop by that chest to grab it, or snatch some off a random belt, and run it to where you need it on foot

In practice, needing a few of something now usually later becomes needing a lot of it, so might as well just build some belt or train infrastructure for it. Even if it seems overkill now, you'll probably need it later.

The real problem here is that you've scattered your production for various materials all over the base, and haven't left any room for carrying those materials from one place to another. Over the course of a game, you're going to need to move all sorts of materials all over the place, in quantities both small and large, so once people are experienced with the game they often end up designing their whole base around a layout that makes it easy to do that in some way.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp. I guess it means I'd better start thinking about building a new base then :v: Thanks!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Ihmemies posted:

Welp. I guess it means I'd better start thinking about building a new base then :v: Thanks!

You can retrofit it in to a certain extent. What I do when I'm starting a new mod is run my base as general spaghetti until I've got a sense of how things generally work in the mod and things are starting to get more complex. Then I build a bunch of train stations around the edges and route everything to those train stations, and use the trains to run all that stuff to a second, more organized base that receives all its basic materials via train.

Once I've done that, then I can start building dedicated production outposts here and there to replace the basic production being done in my starting base. Since the new main base just receives everything via train anyway, it's possible to change out where those goods are actually coming from without actually having to change anything else.

That in turn allows you to thin out the starting base a bit, giving you some flexibility to continue to use it for producing random little things you don't feel like building dedicated production areas for yet.

That's the nice thing about rail-based layouts. Unlike belts, where each belt has to be a dedicated path from suppliers to destination, rail infrastructure is heavily shared so you can move your production around or add new production without having to change much.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Count Roland posted:

This question is really the core of the game. There are lots of ways to do it and they all present their challenges.

The Space Exploration solution is obviously point to point rockets, even on the same surface :eng101:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Tamba posted:

The Space Exploration solution is obviously point to point rockets, even on the same surface :eng101:

:frogout:

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Spaceships move basically for free between points on the same space surface. You can absolutely do a ship bus for your orbital platform.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Nullius report: I have finally researched Biochemistry 3, which gives me the ability to turn the cellulose I've been accumulating over the last few hours into sugar. However, between that and grass seed milling giving me even more sugar, I am now badly backed up on sugar and very short on the cellulose I need to feed my bacteria. So I'm going to stand up another little factory turning that sugar back into cellulose.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I really enjoyed my play of Nullius but I never finished it. I should get back to it sometime before Space Age drops.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I really enjoyed when you got to the part in Nullius where you can summon metal meteors from space. No more expanding outwards as patches are depleted, just slam a new meteor down in your iron ore patch when you are low

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-409
Beacons have diminishing returns now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Diminishing returns, but a base effectiveness buff. If a machine is affected by less than nine beacons it'll work a bit better in 2.0, more than 9 it'll work a bit worse. And quality can boost that further. So there's more room to make bespoke designs, especially with things like the space platform adding new restrictions on space.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
One of the things that I really like reading these is that it's obvious that they play the game. They aren't just listening to complaints by the loudest few on discord or reddit, the devs are actually, literally playing the game and trying to make it a better experience overall.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
We'll have to see how this plays in practice, but I'm fairly optimistic. I think beacon designs will be desirable earlier in the game and have a longer design tail with more dimensions of scaling. Especially when you consider things like the infinite productivity researches and the multipath progression through the expansion, there's potential for greatly expanded creativity. I feel like mature 2.0 mods are going to get very mind-bending in some cases.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Plonking down 1-2 beacons for a big boost is much more appealing now

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The funny thing about this kind of change is that a lot of Factorio-heads are 100% focused on UPS-optimization and they're complaining how this makes functionally no difference since they're so ultra-lategame brained. For people like me that value aesthetics way more this is great. I wonder what the other mathematically optimal layouts will end up with this, like max output per tile/watt/cost.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

New Doc Jade video, torturing himself for our amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj17aGFp3lM

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

KillHour posted:

New Doc Jade video, torturing himself for our amusement.

I was curious as to why 12x9 specifically. The video just says it's the smallest map possible, but not why unless I missed something. Apparently it's necessary because it is the smallest rectangular footprint that will fit a rocket silo and power generation while the rocket builds. Silos are 9x9 and there's no power generation smaller than 3x3.

However! some brave commenter is trying to make 11x9 work by building a rocket entirely on stored 2x2 accumulator power. You can apparently make it on 4 full accumulators squeezed in next to the silo if you mix in some efficiency modules. 4 accumulators + silo + power pole leaves a single tile of free space and so necessitates point-of-no-returning by paving over the water patch to fit everything. Plus it makes the overall logistics even worse, possibly with multiple steps needing to run on accumulator or steam battery power. Sounds wonderfully awful, glad I'm not the one doing it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He said it at the end when he actually built the silo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Ah, then I did in fact miss something.