Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Filthy Monkey posted:

Is there an actual reason to use solar? I don't mind building big arrays, but transitioning to it from steam seems pretty hard, given that you don't get power at night. I feel like I would need much more powerful accumulators to make the transition without going crazy. Steam is just so easy and reliable.

Probably the only reason is less pollution. You could also be running out of coal (hahaha) but I usually have more solid fuel than I know what to do with once I start oil refining, so it would be easier just to use that to fuel your boilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The tank is hilariously powerful.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

It won't let me put efficiency modules in electric furnaces in the new version. I am hoping it is a bug. It just says the message "__1__ can't be used in __2__"

That's odd, they work fine for me.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Sylink posted:

How do I unequip everything so I can click on machines ?

If you mean put back what you're holding, Q.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I tried a game with Dytech, and wasn't really happy with it. IMHO adding new tech that takes metals that only occurs in 1 tile spawns all over the map kind of defeats the point of a game about building massive factories. Also, it has basically no documentation at all.

That said, I would like a mod that adds a bit more complexity to the combat/base defenses, instead of building a thousand laser turrets and ignoring ammo. Dytech added a flamethrower turret which I thought was cool, but not enough to use the rest of the mod. Is there a good mod that does something in that area? Seems like rocket or cannon turrets would be a great addition (after all, the ammo is already there) with enemies that justify their use.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

oxbrain posted:

What, and make my circuit production all messy?

e: This is marathon mode so copper plate is the logistical nightmare. 1 ore gives 5 plate. 10 plate for 2 wire. 10 wire per green circuit. I'd need 5 belts of copper to match 1 belt of wire.

I like that the minimap is completely washed out by the pollution overlay. The old world will burn in the fires of industry. Forests will fall. A new order will rise!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Thinking about getting back into this, and are there any mods that make energy generation/management more important/involved? From my memories of previous games it basically seemed to come down to either just slapping down a bunch of steam boilers every time my power got strained or going with huge fields of solar if I cared about pollution, and it hardly seemed worth even bothering with the more complex nuclear chains when I could just scale the latter up so easily at that point.

I guess I could do a personal challenge run where I just don't use efficiency modules.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 14, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I guess I haven't been lurking in this thread enough, but what's UPS?

vvvv Ah, thanks.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 16, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Teledahn posted:

Instead of playing SE I watched three hours and forty six minutes of YouTube. Dosh has a four video series on his adventure through it with two companions. The mod looks like a bit more slog than entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRJ-CcwvrI

I'm actually playing SE right now (in regards to a previous comment here about mods that make power generation more of a thing). There's pretty much 0% chance I actually finish it, but it's pretty fun so far. Making new bases on different planets with limited transport of stuff between them is an interesting spin on base design.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 8, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Like a lot of starter players, I too didn't use beacons and modules but once I tried Space Exploration, with its beacon changes and 9 levels of modules, I became a big fan. And I also avoided using circuits/logic in vanilla, but you are almost required to use it for SE.

Yeah, same. Vanilla beacons bother me because I have a strong impulse to come up with the best solution and there's always some better way to arrange them, SE beacons are great because you design good setups around them but they're nice and organized and tileable.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

DoshDoshington, he's a computer engineer and it shows in the insane combinator setups he often uses in his bases. He's also one of the few Factorio Youtubers who actually understands editing rather than dumping 8 hour-long VODs that are 90% dead air.

https://www.youtube.com/@DoshDoshington

He had a Space Exploration video that was really good (and yes, well edited to only show the interesting stuff), I look forward to his seablock one.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

If only there was an easy clearance solution to the massive rock piles Alien Biomes dumps everywhere, before bots that is.

I would ditch it, but I really enjoy being able to play on a snow world.

If you use the mining vehicle mod I think you start with one in the crashed ship. Or at least I did in my SE game. Then you just have to drive it through them.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Looking at the example images I think they don't stack in assemblers, either, but rather you set the assembler to use certain quality levels and it only draws materials of that level. Hence why in the above video there's four assemblers with various quality levels set as recipes.

Which, yeah, is going to be a nightmare when it comes to jamming, though I can think of ways of designing around it. I suspect this is going to be something that either gets ignored for most of the game or, as the dev blog notes, quality modules just added to the final product assembler. Having a factory devoted to increasing quality at every step is going to require some extra special design.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, though it's a fair point that if you want you can just ignore it and never use quality modules.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 9, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Another issue occurs to me - since it looks like assemblers are set to use uncommon, or rare, or whatever, for the entire recipe, leveling up all the intermediate products is going to be an enormous pain with recipes that use some products with several intermediate steps and then, oh, some iron plates or whatever. It doesn't matter if you have a bunch of purple advanced circuits if the recipe also requires some iron plates and you barely have any of those - you just end up with enormous amounts of purple circuits piling up that you can't use.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

Instead of trying an AngelBob embark I picked up a K2/SpaceEx game which I had stopped playing right before I was ready to head up to the space platform for the first time.

Whoever said that the new main way to get materials into space was now the space elevator eat me, it's gated behind space-platform production, astronomic, utility, and energy pack 1s as well as material pack 2s. I'm going to need more nuclear power than I've ever built for myself to run enough railguns to let me comfortably make all of this, so that I can then start shipping trainloads of poo poo up the beanstalk.

Did someone say that? The space elevator is really late game as far as I know.

Railguns seem okay for shipping small amounts of stuff, and they're nice in that you can control them remotely, but from what I saw the real workhorse of interplanetary transport was cargo rockets.

But yeah, you definitely want nuclear power ASAP in Space Exploration. Both because you'll have a massive power demand and because the fuel is very compact and easy to transport around.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Railguns are low cost/low power, just have some accumulators. They are just peaky power consumers.

The power requirements aren't that bad, but the need to provide them with projectiles (why do I need explosives for a railgun?) means it's not just power. Since I'd need to either be shipping the projectiles in or setting up production on site it didn't seem that much harder to just set up cargo rockets, which have massive cargo holds.

I still used railguns for relatively low bandwidth, single resource stuff like ice to planets without water.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to walk on the elevated tracks, but I hope I'm wrong.

Run over by train deaths increase 5000%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines becomes a vanilla change. They are clearly willing to rip out and replace systems that aren't working well, and beacons have always received criticism.

Yeah, considering how many changes so far are inspired by/copied from Space Exploration, I'm kind of surprised they haven't announced a change to single beacons already.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 25, 2023