Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I bought Factorio yesterday and I go on vacation tomorrow. Its already negatively impacted my packing and errands before I leave. I can sleep on the plane right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'll be joining in once I'm back from vacation next week.

I've clocked like 6 hours of play. I'm obviously an expert. What could go wrong?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So I was fooling around with the console (i'm still getting a handle on balancing oil production well enough for my liking). I decided to cheat myself extra module-3's and the raw material to launch a rocket. With the belts filled and electricity turned on 1:09 from start until it starts building the next rocket is pretty close to the upper limit right?

Other oddities brought up some questions too. Low density structure and Rocket Fuel stacked to the hundreds inside the silo, but Rocket Control units would barely ever go higher. Is there a reason for that or is it just a bug?

Now I need to get the rest of my factory up to snuff to do that level of production naturally. Low density structure I could manage but after the first launch it would starve from lack of plastic. Making red chips are a huge bottle neck for me right now, which again I feel might be due to plastic. Rocket Fuel would just be a massive increase of oil production dedicated to solid fuel, which I think fixing plastics would manage.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

DmitriX posted:

Do you mean, like changing the variables, or deciding how much of each product to produce? Because vanilla factorio has that problem where only a single item(flamethrower fuel) ever requires using anything but gas, leading to large cracking facilities to supplement your refineries. While making solid fuel from gas is inefficient, it's still possible which is just...unfortunate.

Things like: Do I pipe or tanker lubricant from my cracking hellscape to my blue belt factory? How much Sulfer do I really need?

In reality all these issues are all solved by making more pumps and refinery's, in common factorio style.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ratzap posted:

The mod portal will be used to download any required mods

Thats great until you get mods like that one a few pages back that was just a trojan in a zip file

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So my most recent factory build I've been running 8 freight cars and 2 locomotives and I'm liking it. Are there any mathlords who have proven that I'm wrong and horribly inefficient?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Sage Grimm posted:

What all hooked up to each other? Without knowing how you designed the tracks or how the train is combined together I can't really comment.

Two locomotives facing the same way followed by 8 wagons. One way track and often two lanes each direction.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So I was thinking of putting my industrial electricity experience to use by making a more realistic and complex electrical distribution setup. Where you getting better local area distribution (Underground service distribution) but have to build transformers and breakers in an actual substation to raise or lower the voltage for distance transmission. Or risk putting too much power through certain lines and causing brownouts/blackouts/fires.

To micromanagey? I think there are a type of people who would enjoy that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Network Pesci posted:

I don't know about "totally green" but I wouldn't mind the ability to create small islands of vegetation in my lakes of concrete and machinery. Just as long as the trees know their place.

Industrial park manager? Control urban automation sprawl with the appropriate amount of bounded nature to keep your construction robots morale up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So has game.local_player. been changed to something else? I can't get the console working for anything. I keep getting LuaGameScript doesn't contain key local_player errors.

E;

Digging through the API local_player has been changed to simply: player

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Is there some trick to placing Electric Switches or am I getting some interference from a mod? I can't place them at all.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

KillHour posted:

Probably with a distance limitation like logistics networks to avoid being over powered. It would also be cool if your player had to be within range to get things like radar info and logistics counts.

You could select between UHF and EHF towers, and EHF towers only work if you have an EHF satalite for every (two?, three?) tower, but they have unlimited range.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ambaire posted:

Thanks to DmitriX, I now have a doozy of a bug report that I submitted on their forums.
[13.17] Client with 56+ mods cannot see Linux server (and also a fourth client causes the Linux server to lock up). 55 mod client can connect, but a fourth locks it up, 56+ can't even see it. 56+ work fine with windows server and I had 5 clients + DmitriX connected to my local windows server.

[56k Unsafe]

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Picer posted:

You're right. I'm not happy until someone makes a fully functioning Super Mario in Factorio.

Wasn't there a functional pong? I can't find it right now but I thought it was a thing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ambaire posted:

I think I'm just going to stop giving advice about the vanilla game. Too used to modded and regular pumps only moving 10/s or something with express required for high speed stuff and regular iron pipes having a capacity of 10/s.

Those aren't true of the vanilla game though?

You can gang up regular pumps to get increased flow. A pipe can only store 10 units at rest but can move a huge amount more through it if forced.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Imagine the strategic use of being unable to interact with other people's setups. Im thinking of people laying out perimeters of belts such that no other player can belt things into your area. Three yellow belts spaced by one, just enough that you can't even run an underground belt into it. Lockout airlock area of walls and gates to allow trains into your fortress. It would almost be competitive.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Renegret posted:

FARL jousting

Someone get on it please

Every time you hit your opponent you get a wagon of goodies strapped to your train, hitting a wagon steals it instead of creating a new one. It's like a game of snake except the snake is loot piņata trains.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SCRAM is the best term that ever came from nuclear power. Does it stand for Super-Criticality Rapid Arrest Mechanism? Shutdown Control Rod Actuator Machanism? Safety Contol Random Axe Man as the legend goes? We may never know...

I've been hands on with a number of reactors and will gladly answer any mechanic/physics questions that come up.

the way if imagine it working best in factorio is that the reactor building takes water and creates "High Pressure Steam". Which is consumed by steam turbine buildings plus a small quantity of lubricant that would generate like 20MW each or something. But the reactor still has hot water that it needs to get rid of in a cooling tower, or "radioactive coolant" that can't be used in a regular steam engine. You'd be able to run a number of turbines off a single reactor limited only by how much water you could pump through(which fluid physics would probably limit to something like 500water/sec with a ton of pumps. So 5 water/MW ish rate. And the reactor would also have a poison capsule effect around it for a radiation field, which takes a long time to decay so you can't just walk over and pick it up, and forces you to spread your power plant out slightly.

E; I just thought of this... But that means that if you accidentally ran out of lubricant you would suddenly have a serious issue with a huge amount of built up steam and heat. Chernobyl it.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 6, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
A cooling tower outputting cold water just shortens the distance you have to pump a huge quantity of water. Yes it's more realistic but doesn't really add to usefulness. Same with adding preheaters which recirculate waste steam, doable and realistic but not super useful in the context of factorio. Unless getting nuclear fuel is difficult enough to make every efficiency gain worthwhile.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

GenericOverusedName posted:

I care about the amount of time it takes to make the engine, electric engine, and robot frames! Takes forever!

Perhaps...maybe... Automate it?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
code:
/c game.player.insert{name="logistic-robot", count=10000}

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Uncle Spriggly posted:

There was a server test recently where they had 154 simultaneous connections and apparently it all went very smoothly. I hope the mod community or devs wip up some really cool scenarios now that MP has been reworked.

Arumba a did a 159 person mp stream that lasted two hours and went smooth

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I need to set up some sort of elegant system for expanding my Solar Power arrays, because right now I'm just shuttling back and forth between the array and my factory and letting my bots build it.

Set up Farl with a huge solar panel and accumulator sea on both sides. I've run 20 cargo wagon Farls (although I add two diesels to get good speed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
For a while I was tryin to do the whole ideal ratio thing in solar farms but even when I'm placing them with blue prints I just do two rows of panels above a substation and two rows below. Then I just click and hold and drag in a straight line. Way easier then trying to align each blueprint stamp with the rest. The ratio comes out close enough.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

"HE LOOKED AT ME!" "He was scanning the horizon!"

My world is belts and gear wheels. Once, I was a newb, a fool searching for the perfect ratios...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Loopoo posted:

Anyone got suggestions on how to fix belt saturation?

Stop using busses. General busses are bad. Now, the bus layout is fine for organization, that's just a mechanic of how underground belts work more than anything. But you should only ever be balancing at the end of smelting. Here's why: let's say you need to route materials to belt production, which you expect to be continuous. You happen to calculate out that your production goal happens to need exactly one red belt of gears at full saturation! How convienient... So now you that you build an area that feeds it gears, which now requires two full saturation red belts iron plate. If you were bussing plate then your bus would go from four to two lanes right there, because if you have a balanced plate input to your bus then drawing off two lanes won't have any effect on the other two. If you kept trying to balance it as you go you just strangle everyone's plate. You should instead be dropping four lanes of plate into your supply level once you've used the four that you started with, but again, don't balance there, balance at the start.

So, really what you're doing is you're rate limiting at the start. Rather then trying some balancer insanity later which doesn't help.

Classic cusses are good for when you have limited manufacturing of specialized goods. For example I have an auto FARL station such that when I'm done with it, I hop out and tell it to go back to its home, where it is automatically emptied of wood and stone and refilled with equipment. This equipment is part of my bussed input, because no good will ever take a ceaseless stream of material. Large electric poles, rail signals, lights and all only ever burst produce. In that same system I have a set up that produces locomotives and wagons, but I've deliberately limited it to one yellow belt of input so that while it does operate "continuously" it never pulls to many materials.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
One thing I was thinking of doing for my next playthrough was play essentially ironman style, where you can't pickup anything you put down (I'm going to make an exception with inserters though). Any other similar challenges you can think of?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

XkyRauh posted:

How would you ever split any of your ore/plate lines, though? :(

You can rotate belt in place to reroute as needed within reason, plus I would have to design for growth or just abandon old factories for greener pastures.

As far as infinite production that would almost happen anyway as once I set up a build area I can never change it again, so they'll just produce until the ore field their hooked up to runs out or theres nowhere left to stuff the output

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I built a semi remote train yard and combined it with FLAN. FLAN sends the status of my resource accumulation area at the north side of my factory to the yard, and the yard dispatches trains based on that. Plus a latch circuit to prohibit the next train from leaving immediately (Generally long enough for another train to have arrived and start depositing resources, finding a good balance was difficult but I settled on ~60 seconds before the next check, done by using the AND 60 seconds elapsed at the station plus the circuit condition. When a train is sent out it just makes three runs and then returns to the yard. The last one I set up had room for about 25 trains in it.

The next one I want to work with combinators more to get essentially a edge detecting rate circuit, such that if the rate of accumulation in storage spikes up then trains are paused and if a draw ramps up the pull then a train is dispatched as each rate limit is passed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm sticking with my pitch of a high power turbine generator that takes high pressure steam fluid and lubricant (or better yet a light oil version of lubricant for realism, call it turbine oil or get creative).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Wait why can you no longer enter an enemy vehicle? I want to raid blue teams motor pool of fully armed tanks!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

FISHMANPET posted:

It's got 8 bays for trains unloading ore from mine outposts, and 4 bays for trains to load up with ore to take to smelters. The 8 intake stations are named identically, and the 4 output stations have the same name. This is so, in theory, a train will just pick an empty bay and start unloading. Unfortunetly they tend to pick a full one and just wait, and so I have backups with bays sitting empty.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in concept, but ok.

The train behavior simply means something is messed up on your signalling or naming. Without a better picture I'm going to assume its actually on the exiting side due to the way chain signals behave.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I just watched all of Arumba's 6 hour stream. So many dumb things that he and everybody else does. I know there are dumb thing I do too but people in general, wow.

Other fun fact was that Angels Petrol is coming soon.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Without venturing into Reddit has anybody worked with using combinators for derivatives? I suspect there's a more streamlined way to get a rate of change than brute forcing it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Kris xK posted:

Playing with Bobsmods and Angel Ores, what the hell do you guys do with all your slag?

Use acid to reprocess it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

seravid posted:

Is there any documentation on advanced train management? "Full load or wait X seconds / empty or wait X seconds" works fine for now, but it will soon become inadequate as the train network expands; I can't have a bunch of trains sit forever at the depot unable to empty their cargo or at a nearly depleted outpost waiting to load, but I can't have them going back and forth for no reason either.

My advanced train management: (Might be able to update this with pictures later today?)

For this I use FLAN and Warehousing mods, but you can do it in vanilla by running wires the whole way, have fun doing that without FARL though.

Somewhere in the great outdoors lies a rich iron deposit, one of many you've uncovered. You set up the mining drills and route all the ore to the station, where its loaded into warehouses. Balanced warehouse loading can be done with a fairly simple wire setup. All the warehouses (or chests) are wired together to the input of an arithmetic combinator. The combinator is set to to divide EACH by the negative total of the number of containers, and output EACH. Since I use six car trains loaded by six warehouses the value for me is -6. This means the combinator outputs the negative average of the contents. The output of the combinator is wired in a chain to every inserter on red wire. The Red wire linking the warehouses and the Red wire linking the inserters is a separate network with the combinator in between them. Each inserter is wired to its warehouse with a green wire.

What this does is each inserter is adding its Green ore signal with the negative average that is coming over red, so you set it to enable if less than 0 (Meaning that warehouse is below the average, so its positive value is smaller than the averages negative value). I also set one inserter to operate if equal to 0 to break the occasional stalemate.

The other use for the arithmetic combinator is to control access to the station. I build robot omni-depots so I don't care what train is carrying what ore. You can use whatever you want, but I name every ore station "Ore". Wire your arithmetic combinator output to a decider combinator near the signal at the entrance to the station. Set it to out 1 signal A if Iron Ore < -4k. Now wire its output to the station entrance signal and set it to block if A < 1.

Now when the station is ready to load a train it unblocks the signal allowing that station. Configure the signal to output signal B when green. Wire this over the separate wire network to the FLAN tower, which at your depot have trains waiting for signal condition B.

To prevent multiple trains from being dispatched you build a simple latch, which once B is sent reblocks the station input signal and removes B from FLAN and only clears when the signal directly before the blocked signal reads yellow, meaning the train is arriving. I also incorporate a timed latch into this to prevent another dispatch signal from being sent while the blocking signal switches from forced red to yellow because it might go green for one or two ticks.

Other things I've added are latches that reset on pulses from the belts coming to the station, functionally a watchdog timer. If there hasn't been enough pulses to reset the timer then the latches flip as if the depot is full and I also send a signal to indicators at my main base that the field is running dry (Which is redundant since I use YARM too, but circuits!)

Also combine with a circuit condition at your unloading depots to prevent dispatch if you have too much ore waiting to be smelted.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ratzap posted:

My rough count says that's something like 3GW? Should be enough for him, perhaps.

I like it! But, only 3GW you say? Challenge accepted!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
With the mod that gives you more tiers of military research and the incendiary shotgun rounds I tear through biter bases like paper and it's still feels like I'm spending too much time doing that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Never tear down.

Never Ratio.

Just always build more and let it run ad-infinum.

Embrace the belt spaghetti and come to love the beast. Eventually you'll be on your n-th factory and it will look good to everyone but you as you keep trying to OCD correct inserter and power pole placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I see you're a minimalist. Don't worry, we will cure you of that soon. Merely seven iron drills? Perish the thought.