Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I have hit the point where i need to use trains, i have consumed all the nearby iron, however i cannot for the life of me figure out a decent way to integrate a centralized resource drop off point. Anyone have any decent designs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I restarted after someone posted a really amazing island start (one path off the island).

I finally managed to finish my first T3 automated science pack factory:

It is a huge mess, and my biggest problem right now is that i have iron plates being split off into multiple side paths. However splitters split 50% of the amount between each of the belts, which starves the much later belts that need iron plates.

What i really want is to be able to produce all the intermediatery products in a single area and have those items shipped to place where all those materials are put together.

This game brings out the absolute worst OCD in me.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

90_Minute posted:

I'm just starting out with this so I could be totally off, but couldn't you use a series of splitters to get more granular proportions?

So split the stream into A and B, each of which has 50%. Then split B into B1 and B2, each with 25% of the original. Then feed B1 back into A and you're at 75/25%. With a couple more stages you could control this down to single digit percentages.

Anyway, just wondering if something like that would work. Your idea of centralized distribution would probably be much cleaner though.

You are a smart goon. That works, sadly it is ugly as hell. What i would really like is a tier 4 splitter, that lets you set a percentage.

I am debating if it is worth it to continue this game, the nearest iron ore aside from the little i have left on my island area is really really far away. Even then it is a tiny little patch, i haven't found anymore the further i go.

Is there a way to restart a freeplay map?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Filthy Monkey posted:

One thing I would like to see is the ability to disassemble items. Not necessarily getting all the parts back, but maybe half of them.

Is there anyway to delete items from your inventory? I am up to using electric furnaces in my current game, and I still have burner drills and stone furnaces in my inventory.

Stuff them in a chest and forget about them.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Ugh the flying robot frame recipe is a pain in the rear end.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have any recommendations for mods? Just something that adds a little bit more to the tech tree without going absolutely insane?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So I started a new game and holy poo poo I started on an almost island. There's just a thin,as be eight wall wide, strip of land connecting me to the mainland. The space I have to expand in is enormous too. I share the island with a biter nest, though, so I'm not totally safe. But I'm drat close!

You should share the map/save if you have a save near the start!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So I started a new game and holy poo poo I started on an almost island. There's just a thin,as be eight wall wide, strip of land connecting me to the mainland. The space I have to expand in is enormous too. I share the island with a biter nest, though, so I'm not totally safe. But I'm drat close!

You should share your map/save if you have one near the start. I love island maps.

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I could just make an island for ya'all based on my map?

I don't know how i quoted you instead of the person who i intended. And then wrote a reply I need to stop playing Factorio. :negative:

But by all means share your save, its always nice to see how people do stuff!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Now that we can share seeds, does anyone have any sort of interesting seed starts?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Xel posted:

Here is a 21,600 x 11,700 (27MB) map of my base. Made it with an autoit script to take the images and python script to combine them.

http://manastuff.com/map.jpg

How long did that take you to make that entire base its just massive :staredog:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

SpookyLizard posted:

I think the roadworks mod adds bridges. You can also, in the worst case, open that map up in the editor and amke a small-ish land bridge. Justify it as terraforming.

Speaking of, you should post that exchange string. Seems neat.

Do exchange strings finally work?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Evilreaver posted:

I was thinking about abandoning this game since it's pretty well "won" at this point and it's a huge chore to build and fortify new bases. If I really wanted to, I could obliterate every bug under my cloud and fortify the wall and live in my own little country which would allow me to feed infinite wealth into the grinders, satisfying the parts gods, but as it is I'm juggling too many bases and getting too little done. :geno: My science lab has ground to a halt, as a copper field dried up.

I can provide more details if you like.

:stare:

Can i see how you build your train depots and how you drop off/load stuff onto your trains. I keep looking for a decent example but can never find anything decent.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Evilreaver posted:

A dead mine. On the left was a copper mine, the only evidence of its passing being a few bits of ore dust that didn't get caught by the bots.

As I was trying to get a screenshot, it turns out all of my mines are dead or dying :cripes:

The philosophy here is to have ore come in from the "front" of the train and the "back" of the train so you fill both cars evenly, otherwise one car tends to fill and the other starves (until the buffer chests fill up).

Dropoff. See how both sides of the belt are naturally filled. I'm not 100% sure this is the best way, but it's 80% there and suits my purposes.

Also see how no goddamn copper is coming in from the train :arghfist:

FISHMANPET posted:

So here's how all my trains get loaded, a series of splitters so that each inserter has its own dedicated belt:

And two different methods of unloading:

I like the second one better, though they both suffer from the problem that as the chests empty out, only a couple are feeding the belt and can't saturate it, even if they have thousands of items. I may try one where each train car unloads into two train cars as the buffer, and those train cars are unloaded onto the belt. I'd lose capacity, but gain throughput.

Thanks these are so much better than the hideous things i create with train stations.

Another random question how do people get such nice maps with the large open areas that aren't a clusterfuck of random little lakes every few feet.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

FISHMANPET posted:

Since I've spent the last few hours of play optimizing the factory that loads this train, here's the belts feeding the factories that supply that train:

And here's the factory those belts feed:

Did you use some sort of mod to fill in water? I don't understand how you have absolutely no annoying lakes? :confused:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

FISHMANPET posted:

I may have increased the size of the starting area, but I didn't adjust water at all, and I didn't do anything to the map after it was modified. Here's what my whole map looks like:

See i always see a ton of people with these huge nice continous bodies of water, but all i apparently get is a ton of tiny little lakes thrown everywhere. :iiam:

You should post your map exchange string :allears:

*EDIT* After playing with the settings in map generation and using the editor.

Lowering terrain segmentation to low seems to lead to mostly continous bodies of water outside of your starting zone. Your starting zone for whatever reason will always have a bunch of werid little lakes.

However lowering terrain segmentation has a weird downside, and that is on medium+ water sizes there is a good chance you can end up spawning on an island completely cut off from everything.

I find the map generation to be really weird in factorio.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 24, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

FISHMANPET posted:

AAAKAAMAAQADAwYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMFAgoAAABjb3BwZXItb3JlAwUCCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAUFBAoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMCCAAAAGlyb24tb3JlAwUCBQAAAHN0b25lAwUCUCbzYPZWAADTXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFACrrGdL=

I'll warn you, starting on this particular map is actually brutal. I haven't exhausted any copper deposits yet, so all the copper you see is what you start with. The deposits are enormous, but really far away.

I will give this a shot! Thanks.

Evilreaver posted:

Speaking of weird map generation, I tried making an ultra-huge/rich/common ore map for a speedrun, and I kept getting maps where I was walled in with perfectly circular walls of those stone outcropping doodads. I'm guessing some sort of anticheese, because I don't know of any other reasons that might happen.

Anyone else run into this? I'll try to recreate it when I get home.

Did you specify water to only spawn in your starting area? If so then it seems to fill any areas that it would normally fill with water, instead with those stones. Its really weird.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

AuxPriest posted:

Probably not very useful, but interesting.

Factorio map generation is weird.

Yeah this is becoming my problem, I have started two games that turns out i am alone on a large island. Opening the map using the map editor, the map editor apparently the only thing it seems to generate is water.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone know about scenarios? If i just add a player to the map will everything work correctly?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Yeah a boat would be much nicer, honestly i could care less about multiplayer. To me this game just does not feel like a multiplayer game. I would rather see a bunch of improvements in other areas, like doing something about water, bridges, or some more late game stuff.

Honestly i still cannot see multiplayer working in a fashion that does not cause a massive headache.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have a good chemical/oil processing setup? I know someone posted a really nice modular setup but after going through the last 20 pages i cannot find it.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
In my game at random power lines seem to be randomly un-wiring themselves, It is really weird and makes absolutely no sense. I was somewhat confused when my walls started to get destroyed by the aliens, only to start wandering over there and notice a big chunk of my power lines completely unwired. I though i accidently hit shift, and unwired them.

But i just wandered away and setup some more steam boilers, and suddenly all the power lines from my smelter are gone:

If i reload my save they show up for awhile, but eventually they just randomly start unwiring themselves.

Anyone run into this issue before?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

AuxPriest posted:

I started getting this with the most recent patch, removing the occasional post and replacing it will make the wiring fix itself. It's only a matter of time until other areas lose their wiring as well.

Yeah apparently the developers know about the bug, apparently they will fix it eventually. In other factorio 0.10.4 news, there is a gamebreaking bug when you start using logistics robots. When your robots go outside a certain zone the game crashes.

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4999

I downgraded back to 10.3.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Doing it by Rail also means i am 99% less likely to accidentally drive over pipes :v:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Breetai posted:

The day they implement a system that lets you hold-click and drag underground pipes like you can hold-click and drag electrical poles for maximum reach efficiency I'll be a happy man.

Wait what? How do that with electrical poles :stare:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Sage Grimm posted:

Okay, place an electrical pole but hold the mouse button down instead of just clicking. NOW RUN LIKE THE WIND. You will place poles down at max range where your cursor is from the previous pole!

:negative:

Wow i never realized that. This will certainly make things easier since it seems to work for all types of electrical poles.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
What do you guys do for your oil refinery setup? Including storage tanks and such and actually getting it to your chemical plants. Everything i build seems to just lead to a massive mess.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Evilreaver posted:

Awesome Tips

snooman posted:

More awesome

Thanks i think i am going to go and rework my oil stuff using both of your awesome advice. I really left almost no space for the refinery so i am going to rework a bunch of stuff.

Also is there a way to turn off that extremely annoying warning noise every time a biter touches a wall? It is driving me insane.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have problems where Water pumps seemingly at random decide to stop working? Twice now i just noticed that all my steam engines have stopped and i am forced to rebuild the pumps.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I am using 1 pump per set of steam engines (9 engines). Sometimes the pumps just seem to be pumping almost no water. I am forced to destroy and rebuild them.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

SpookyLizard posted:

You can only have two pumps per line though. Unless all of your pumps are totally disconnected from each other, that may be your issue. Or you've got some weird bug and should file a bug report. Either way, screen shot your pump/furnace/engine layout and lets take a look.

Here is my setup: (the problem isn't currently happening)

A bunch of the pumps seem to stop pumping water at random times, forcing me to run over and destroy and rebuild them. I don't understand why.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Z

Breetai posted:

Awesome stufdf

This is the most optimal thing i have found for loading trains:

Is there any sort of robot recharging mod? That gives me another way to recharge my little robot bees? I have nearly 3k robots (i accidently left my logistic fabricator going while i played with trains for about 2 hours). They are currently wandering around my base desperately trying to find somewhere to recharge.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Robot stations are massive and take up a huge area. I was hoping for something small that just lets you recharge robots and does nothing else.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Michaellaneous posted:

So, if anyone is interested, Arumba has quite the long and decent LP of Factorio, with lots of designs and little tricks you can copy. Also he has a decent voice, so eh.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWD7yMEuxKeFAinXB-Zkgdnf

:wtc:

You can filter toolbar slots?!?!?!?!?!?!

There is so much i never knew.

Also something i am not really sure how he does this, but here he puts half of what he has in his inventory and not just half of a stack into the chest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeqGEj3cn1w&t=770s

How do you do this :allears:

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 8, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Shintaro posted:

As of one of the 0.10's (.2 maybe?) you can filter cargo trains, too, the same way. Middle click on a blank slot and select item, or middle click on occupied slot to set to current item. Control middle click to clear.

Control-rightclick, with the interface open. Control-rightclick with it closed will put half the stack in your hand (rounded down) into it.

That is awesome thanks :downs:

I have been playing a lot with Dytech, and some of the stuff it adds is not really that bad. But some of it is just really tedious. The entire dytech subforum is a confusing mess of outdated information.

At the base level Dytech adds a bunch of new basic items; super advanced circuits, 3 kinds of loving gears, 2 types of wire, rubber, and a few other intermediaries. It also changes a few recipes and i am not 100% sure why, but they do. Level 1 science is now made with stone gears, and copper plates. So stone is now more or less required during the entirety of the game. However there is a way to get infinite stone from water filtering, which feels like cheating. Steel is also a lot more used in crafting. Honestly i don't mind the changes it makes a few production chains a bit more complex, but honestly it is not that bad.

How to Make Rubber:

- Cut down trees, you will get Resin
- Make Rubber tree seeds
- Plant the seeds
- Wait a few days for it to grow into a rubber tree
- The rubber tree is a chest that slowly fills with resin
- Put an inserter next to the tree and it will start removing resin
- Put Resin in furnance ==> Rubber

The unfun Dytech Stuff:

Dytech Warfare mod basically makes everything related to defense and the enemy biters a massive labour intensive chore. You now need stuff like biter corpses, and gems to build the upgraded laser turrets, laser turrets in general have been made weaker along with the other basic turrets. The new upgraded walls are an absolute must, due to the new biters.

From what i can tell it adds some new super biters, that will just plow through everything you have defenses wise. One of the new super biters casually walked up taking hits from several dozen laser turrets and broke the wall in a few hits, it then went on a ramapage before it finally got stuck on some trees and me and a bunch of turrets sat there shooting at it. There is also MK1 to MK5 laser turrets and most of them need gems to make and unfortunately you can only randomly encounter extremely small patches of them in the world? (I have never found any aside the green one).

Dytech Metallurgy

Dytech at the base already adds a bunch of new intermediaries, but gently caress this thing it makes everything so stupidly complex. Do you want to make steel?

Coal Miner => Coal Centrifuge => Carbon => Carbon + Liquid Iron (which has another extra step) => Liquid Carbonated Iron => Steel Plates

There is also around 8 or so other metals that it adds and all are used in various things, it becomes basically takes the complexity level to the extreme.

DyTech-Meteors

You know what is a lot of fun? Random meteors that will randomly hit the earth in places, destroying everything it touches. The meteor stuff apparently is used in metallurgy for the super late game metals, but i just do not care enough to get that far.

DyTech-Tools

Yuck, since you only really need tools in the early game, i would avoid this. It basically forces you to use lovely stone tools (half the speed of iron pickaxes?) until you can research some iron type tools. It has a new tier of tools that i think are bugged since i could not tell the difference between it and a steel tool.

Okay Dytech Stuff

Dytech-Inserters

This mod is stand alone and basically adds a ton of inserters, for example short inserters that put items on the near side of the belt. Honestly i found this really useful, and some of the new inserters really help with optimization, and stuffing stuff on both sides of the belt. I do not understand the point of "output inserters" since they seem to have the identical behavior of the other inserters. :iiam:

It also adds a bunch of other types of filter inserters (one for each type), and some even faster inserters.

DyTech-Energy

This mod adds something extremely cool, it gives you primary, secondary and tertiary variants of the power sources (like steam engines). Basically if all your primary power sources are not enough to meet your consumption, then secondary power sources will be used, if that is not enough then tertiary ones are used. This is really nice because it makes steam engines much more useful, you can build a bunch of tertiary steam engines and they will only be used when your solar panels are not enough to meet your needs and consumption.

It also adds MK2-5 Steam Engines, Solar Panels and Accumulators. The MK5 Steam Engine generates nearly 10 times the amount of power a MK1 steam engine produces. It also adds a bunch of much higher capcity pumps, and tanks.

DyTech-Transportation

Want more train stuff? This adds a bunch of faster, and larger trains and train cars. It also adds MK4 and MK5 transport belts, that are much much faster than the current super belts. The super extreme belts are about on par if not faster than trains.

DyTech-Logistic

Adds a bunch of MK2-3 roboports (they cover a larger area, and seem to recharge stuff really fast), it also makes the logistic bots go a lot faster and carry more. Also adds some bigger logistic chests. The new MK2 and MK3 robots however feel like cheating since they can carry a ton of stuff around, and go much faster. However their energy drains much much quicker so they always seem to be recharging.

DyTech-Automation

This adds:

- MK1-MK5 mining drills (MK5 mining drill has an area of 99x99, and a mining speed of around 20).
- MK4-MK8 Assemblers

TLDR; Dytech has a few cool things like the changes to the power. If you want more powerful versions of everything in the base game, you would probably enjoy some of the mods. Some of the mods are just a little too complex.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Factorio 10.7 is out.

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5381

It is avaliable for Mac and Linux but not Windows due to a crippling bug.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
They said they might be able to get an emergency hotfix release out this afternoon. Otherwise i am guessing next week :smith:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Dominic White posted:

There's already a 0.10.8 update available via auto-updater, if you have Experimentals turned on. Having trouble downloading it, though.

Edit: Got it. This seems to be the hotfix they were talking about.

Yesssss :fap:

Time to start a new world i think.

Krataar posted:

So I fell really hard for this game this week. Getting ready to start over for the third time. I saw the modular oil refinery post, are there any other modular setups? I know I saw people mentioning a 10MW power plant setup.

Heres what I've accomplished so far:

Your factory is pretty :unsmith:

Two decent designs for solar and green circuits i always keep coming back to:

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 15, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

AuxPriest posted:

These designs are so hot.

Is there any reason to stockpile copper wiring, say on it's own belt? Or is it best just to do the above and directly feed it into something?

The only time i use is copper wire on its own belt is for adv circuits:

Adv circuits take 4 wire, but takes 8 seconds to craft an adv circuit. So it never has been much of an issue.

If anyone is good at modding you should make a mod where you can craft eletrical poles with lights on top of it. I am pretty sure this is not possible though.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Shintaro posted:

It is and it isn't. Entity types at the moment are kinda hard-code-y, so adding tweaking values of stuff is easy but adding new behavior [combinations] is really hit and miss (mostly miss), so I don't think it's possible to make an electric pole that emits light (I haven't checked, but, again, "mostly miss"). However, it would be very easy to make a light entity that gets placed whenever you place an electric pole. The catch is that while there is a lua event for the player placing items, there isn't one for construction bots. So a blueprint-placed electric pole wouldn't get a light attached.

This is the way a lot of custom behavior is done in mods (by keeping track of specific items when placed), so at least people who use mods would be semi-familiar with the whole "this is special, won't work with bots" concept.

fake edit: while there isn't a fast way to scan for objects, there is a lightning fast ( O(1) ) way to get the global count of a specific object, so (especially for a cosmetic thing like lights) you could write a function that spam-checked for inconsistency between this number and its own count and then while it knew it was missing some, checked the area within a generous range (enough to cover the player's visual surroundings) of the player for light-less poles, and it probably wouldn't be too terrible of a performance hit. Might be worth coding as an exercise, really.

Yeah i just tried this and made a small quick mod that placed a small-lamp entity on top of the a medium-electric-pole. It works but its pretty ugly, sadly it seems like things that make light all have this behaviour as part of their object type.

It would be really nice if most entities just had an optional light property (some do however it is tied to their specific behaviour type).

SquadronROE posted:

So the biggest bottleneck I'm trying to solve right now is how to research things quickly. Currently I can have some machines automate the crap out of the red science flasks, but the green ones are still a bit beyond me.. Is there an easy way to do this?

This is probably one of the most efficent layouts for making science. But its pretty drat ugly.

1 inserter assembler and 1 belt assembler can comfortably feed 4 x green science assemblers.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

xarph posted:

I was so enamored with this solar design that I made a higher quality jpeg of it without turrets so it is easier to see what's going on (note that I also replaced some 2x2 turret blocks with more accumulators; if the biters are getting close enough that those turrets matter, then I have bigger problems)

Parts count:

248 Accumulators
136 Solar Panels
16 Substations
1 Roboport

It is 48x48 tiles big. Peak output is around 8MW, full capacity is 1.2GJ.

That is awesome. The turrets are actually lamps, and i am not sure why i have 2x2 blocks of them in the design :iiam:.