Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Looks neat, but I wish they had other methods of payment. Amazon payments, or google checkout, or any sort of direct credit card processor. Paypal blacklisted my card after my account got hacked, and there is no way I am touching buttcoins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I bought the game yesterday, which caused yesterday to quickly disappear. Definitely fun, and I can see burning a lot of time on this. It is easily better than most greenlight games, and should be a lock for getting on steam. This game has to eventually make it big.

I spent a lot of time fumbling with figuring out how to effectively use both sides of conveyer belts. I've occasionally built a small extra extra section so that my belts can meet at a right angle rather than a curve, so that my resource is moved from the outside to the inside of the belt.

I've been good at automating red research, but have been lazy with green research so far, stocking the factories by hand. I think I need to spread my factories out more, and not be worried about keeping things compact.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Retro42 posted:

Try this:

All splitters do is equally divide items between two belts, keeping them in the same lane. This trick just splits the belt into 2 and immediately merges the two so they are running on only one belt. Great way early on to increase capacity without circuits or chests/etc.
Neat. Appreciate the tip. I definitely think it is something I will use. I got as as far as the mission where you get to the destroyed base and have to research train technology. Hoping to progress more tonight.

edgeman83 posted:

This game is absolutely blowing up... at least on the people I have subscribed to on Youtube. At least 4 people have posted videos in the last week or two playing the game. Hopefully this turns into a Banished-like event when it gets on Steam and it stays stuck at #1 for multiple weeks.
This game has real potential to go big for an indie title. I do feel like one they get it on steam it is going to explode. I already think this is a better game than banished.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 8, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am at the point where I need to put supplies in the car inventory. I can click on the car, open the trunk, but when I put stuff inside it, the total count goes down. What gives?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Man, this collection mission (the 2500 piercing rounds + other stuff), really blindsided me with how much production capacity it requires. I've been playing a while, and I only have half of the ammo. Should have built bigger. I feel like this is the first really major mission of the game so far.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Finally have my first fully automated green and red science-generating machine. Not a huge accomplishment, I know, but before this I was being lazy and manually making some of the parts for the greens.

Basically saying 'gently caress being space efficient' now too, and just splitting off any main line, doing my processing, and chucking that product back into a new belt on the center line. Think my machine needs more iron plate input though.

What is it that makes the enemies start coming, exactly? I haven't seen any in this game yet.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 9, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

One thing I would like to see is the ability to disassemble items. Not necessarily getting all the parts back, but maybe half of them.

Is there anyway to delete items from your inventory? I am up to using electric furnaces in my current game, and I still have burner drills and stone furnaces in my inventory.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is there an actual reason to use solar? I don't mind building big arrays, but transitioning to it from steam seems pretty hard, given that you don't get power at night. I feel like I would need much more powerful accumulators to make the transition without going crazy. Steam is just so easy and reliable.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I don't really know how I would run out of coal. I've moved over to electric furnaces. Right now the only thing I use it for is fueling my boilers, and they honestly don't take that much.

Do biters only attack things that generate pollution? Can I put a huge solar/accumular array off to the side, and know that I don't have to defend its giant borders?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 11, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Managed to get myself to solar only. Spudnewt was right about efficiency modules. Makes a big difference in how much juice you use and how much pollution you produce. I would suggest picking those up pretty early, especially if you want to keep your pollution down, or plan to go solar.

One thing I am learning is that you don't really want to overbuild from the start. If you can keep two labs going all the time, you are in fine shape, especially once you get to blue science. It is easy to start laying down the plans for a giant production empire, trying to feed six labs, taking forever until you actually finish your chains, and producing mega-pollution in the meantime. A small finished loop right now is better than a huge unfinished loop.

Here is what I have meeting my modest power needs at the moment. I built it by the coast, so that biters are unlikely to walk by. Not that I am even generating enough pollution to get attacked.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 11, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

Awesome.

I'm really liking the 'central bus' setup someone posted earlier in the thread. Just got blue science running!
It is a good method for keeping things organized. I am rebuilding using that right now. Tore down my old base, where I started off doing a lot of stuff by hand, and am going from the ground-up using better tech. Just got to green science again.

Have my solar array and accumulators off by the ocean, keeping things up. Still not generating enough pollution to actually get attacked. I have efficiency modules in most of the places they can go now. Just need to put them in a couple more electric miners, and the science labs.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It isn't an even number once you get past red science. It is mostly inserters that screw it up, given that you need 2 for every 3 green beaker factories. It leads to lots of fractions of factories.

Here is a birdeye overview of my base now, with red, green, and blue beaker production. Shows my laser defenses too, not that I have been attacked. Operating purely on solar power, and everything has efficency modules.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just finished updating my coastal solar field. 795 MJ of accumulator capacity now. Could probably survive two nights in a row without any sunlight now.

Royal W posted:

Every time i get a significant upgrade, i feel the need to completely overhaul my whole system. I did it when i got upgraded power poles and just spent 3 hours rebuilding from scratch after electric furnaces. :smithicide:
My thought via furnaces is just to hand-feed them coal before you get electric. It takes a while for a furnace to go through a stack of coal, and belting it is time I will just have to spend undoing later. Just prioritize getting electric furnaces.

Evilreaver posted:

E: Basically Processing Units need a goddamn shitload of circuit boards
Yeah, electronic circuits are my short line right now, that are holding some others up. I have five factories dedicated to it, and probably need at least another three.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The bus-belt line I posted here makes blue science.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629545&pagenumber=6#post429523818

The one change I would make is probably an extra copper mine/smelter, an two extra copper wire factories, and two extra circuit factories.

I don't add some secondary products to main belt, if I know I won't use them anywhere else.

I wouldn't try to feed more than two or three labs to start. You can expand later, if you feel the need.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 12, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It is weird that after playing this for a few days, this is now the game I am most excited about seeing updates for. The game just scratches some sort of itch for order that I have.

One thing I hope they add are varied goals, and more campaign missions. I think the biggest danger is that each game becomes too samey. Get your red science up, then your green science, then your blue science. Once you know how to do it, you know how to do it. Some campaign missions similar to what is done in tropico would be fun, with unique events and goals.

I wouldn't mind seeing more varied planets and enemies either.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Stevefin posted:

Ah that worked. It kinda needs to make it clearer to which way is input/output

Elfface posted:

There's a triangle-arrow displayed when you're placing the plans, but once it's down, that's it. Unless you pick it up again, anyway.

Press alt. It shows what each factory is making too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Nah, you aren't shown anything amazingly efficient in the missions. It might give you some ideas, but don't expect it to be perfectly tuned. Go ahead and try them.

And yes, the game is awesome. Just started a new map myself. Low on easily accessible coal, but a lot of oil. Just switched over my boilers to using solid fuel.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I suppose I shouldn't play on games where I set the richness so high. As of yet, I haven't really had reasons to build trains, as I've always been able to get a nearby resource with huge quantities.

I tried playing around with the logistics drones a bit, but they seem like they need some extra research before they really shine. At their base speed and base pickup capacity, they seem unimpressive.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 16, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think I need to start a game where I pollute more. I've been keeping my operations moderately sized until I get solar energy, accumulators, and efficiency modules. Nothing makes me happier than seeing glowing accumulators powering a -80% energy electric furnace. Biter attacks on my base are usually a super-rare thing, and I don't think I've even seen the tougher biters. Does pollution make them spawn?

I have taken out enemy bases relatively early on too, so long as they don't include the worms. Steel armor and a flamethrower seems to be enough to take down your standard base with biter spawners.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 16, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Appreciate the info. Do attacks only come from nearby bases? If I wipe out anything close, can I pollute my heart out with impunity?

Think I am going to start a game on normal settings right now, instead of jacking up the richness. Might try to get some biter attacks. My normal way of playing felt a little too peaceful.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Looks like it is alt.

One thing I definitely need to get better at is matching my factory inputs and outputs. You guys just got me to test gear wheel factories, and I had definitely been building too many compared to my other factories. One gear wheel factory goes pretty far, and is early more than capable of supporting four red science factories, for instance. I was building multiples before.

Do idle factories still consume electricity and pollute, or do they go offline?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It semes like the desert starts are a little harder, especially if there are bases nearby. The pollution-absorbing trees definitely help contain your early filth.

Having played a few games now, I feel there is kind of a dead zone in the middle of the research tree. Namely, the period between maybe steel, and getting sulfer/plastics/batteries. I can't really safely expand base without causing a lot of pollution, and oil doesn't accomplish a lot until I can make batteries and plastics. Not to mention that a lot of expansion would end up being torn down once the aforementioned techs come in.

A good chunk of the techs aren't useful until you have the others. Solar panels aren't great until you have accumulators, which need batteries. To put that energy to good use it helps to have electric furnaces, which take plastics. Honestly have been just kind of alt-tabbing out while I let my research go at that middle point.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think one thing I would like to see are more resources, and multiple paths to each type of science (except maybe red). Depending on what resources are nearby, you might pick a difference production chain in order to get to that sort of research. Maybe I start by a bunch of nickel, so I mix nickel, copper, and iron to make magnets, which are used in different green science recipe. It would add some variety.

Maybe make some of the resources for high-end stuff really rare, to encourage you to go out and do some exploring. I know that is somewhat the case now, with alien artifacts, but I am thinking more from a noncombat standpoint. Give me a reason to want to use a train to haul something from a few map screens away.

Edit: Should be a nice easy start. Very defensible. Everything is on normal.

The iron vein north of me is pretty rich, but the copper veins aren't. The giant copper vein by the enemy base is basically infinite copper though. Might be a good opportunity to try out trains on a non-campagin map.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 16, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Having a good time here with a harder than normal start. Compared to my last couple bases, which generally never got attacked, I am pretty close to multiple nests here, and have been attacked constantly since the start. Even with efficiency modules in everything, I am still getting attacked.

Had to get walls and gun turrets up early, and needed to do a lot of ammo restocking. Getting laser turrets up was a big relief. My actual base is kind of a mess, and I am not sure where I can find the room to place a good solar farm. Dumping coal boilers would definitely help.

I should probably switch to electric furnaces now that I am flush with efficiency modules, but I have a coal line snaking across my base feeding the smelters. In reality I am sure my entire base should be stripped down and rebuilt. I was kind of lazy with the layout to get green science, as I just wanted to get it fast. My previous bases had better thought out layouts.

Can't decide whether or not to staple blue beaker production on to my current factory, or to just tear the whole thing down and start again.

Still love the game, and can't stop playing.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Depends entirely what you are researching, as they have different cycle times, and what sort of science lab efficiency bonus you have. My three assemblers of each type can't keep up with six labs while I researching character logistics slots right now. I have the second lab efficiency too.

You can see the input lines aren't starved.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It is messy, but cleaning it up can come later. As you get more experience you'll get better at laying things out too.

I actually just started a fresh game. I restarted until I got a desert start, as I like the increased contrast against the ground.
Kind of a neat little area I decided to haul up in. I am taking it slow and playing defensively, since I don't have any trees to buffer the pollution to the nearby bases.

I walled up and turretted up early. The exposed entrance to my base has the three groups of pillboxed turrets. Should be good enough to catch people trying to come in. The other areas are walled. My (pretty small) pollution has already reached a nest to the south, resulting in attacks.

I built more power infrastructure than I will need for a while. I find it less of a hassle to just start with something like this though. The boilers are only fired up as needed anyway, so it isn't like you are constantly wasting fuel to power all of the generators.

This is the only copper inside my secured-off base. Definitely going to need to procure more. I still haven't really mastered trains, and figure I will give that a try. Find some copper somewhere else and haul it in.

I have a couple of sources of iron. More than I have of copper. Still, neither one is exactly the motherload. I am sure I will have to go out into the wastes.

My plan is to run the main production line straight up the middle, towards that group of oil. You can see on the map in the first picture. Provided I can secure some more resources, I think this should be a fun base.

BromanderData posted:

I started using them so I'd only have to not mess up coal getting to my boilers.

And well I still use them now because I like not having to transport fuel or coal to them.
They are an upgrade for sure. The biggest thing is that they have two module slots. It is pretty fun going green, with just solar polar, accumulators, electric furnaces, and efficiency modules in everything with a slot.

Edit: Just finished getting my red-green line up. Need to get trains and laser turrets. I won't be able to progress much if I can't get some more resources.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 18, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I don't think this is true because I've never manually produced any blue science.
It isn't. I only occasionally manually produce blue science for, poo poo, whatever the tech is that enables cracking fuels. That is pretty much always my first tech from the blue-science tier.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Still playing my base from yesterday. I spent a long time getting trains up. I eliminated an enemy base with a flamethrower and steel armor too, which ratcheted up the enemy difficulty. I am constantly being attacked, sometimes with groups of 20+ now, including medium biters. I've handbuilt a LOT of laser turrets.

I set up a small train line to bring in resources. My first successful train line outside of that campaign mission.

Here is the iron stop. I get a lot of attacks here.

And the copper stop. It is close enough that I probably could have belted it, but I wanted to play with trains.

I am going to need to secure more resource points, especially copper. It will necessitate taking out more enemy bases though. Resources aren't that easy to come by on my map, which actually makes it kind of fun.

I am not terribly green. Still using coal water boilers, and efficiency modules are not yet on the menu. I idle at about half of my power capacity, but I like to keep excess for the constant biter attacks.

I did just get blue beakers up and running. It would have been sooner, but I spent so long working on the railroad. The end of my line turned into a little bit of a mess, as I was hurrying between biter attacks. Still need to repair the occasional piece of masonry.

Circuitboards are the shortage on my line right now, and that is because the factories on that line eat copper wire faster than the belt can move it. Going to need to do a little rejiggering there.

My oil industry is functional, but could use a little rework too. I am starting to drain my wells pretty badly. I've turned pretty much all of my heavy oil into lubricant, in case I decide to go drone crazy.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Really depends on the surrounding area. If enemy bases are far away, and if you have trees nearby, you can stay underneath the enemy radar. If there are close bases and nothing to suck up pollution, prepare yourself.

Edit: Attacks have died down a lot now. I did some cleaning of a few nearby bases, thanks to distractor capsules. I put efficiency modules in anything that can fit one.

I did notice that suddenly all of my iron was disappearing, even though I have twenty electric furnaces working nonstop.

Notice that three gear wheel factories, after the first split, are not backing up. That means they are keeping up with somewhere around nine furances worth of production, which is impressive. I wonder where all of those gear wheels are going.

This is the end of the line for the gear wheels, and they still aren't backing up.

I had figured I would put in an express transport belt factory to eat though some of my eight tanks of lubricant. Turns out they are super, super gear hungry. Just one express transport belt factory eats an AMAZING amount of iron. This half-chest is a huge iron investment.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 19, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Are you sure you have a line between the poles? Try picking the pole up and putting it back down.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dred_furst posted:

Picked this up yesterday, been making a base for the last few hours, and this is what I've ended up with:
Pretty happy with it so far, just starting to expand into plastics.
Plastics are good. Namely, they allow for electric furnaces, which are cool and useful, and for advanced circuits, which are used in a shitload of stuff.

You are going to start stalling on circuits once you ramp up. Once you get to tier 3 (blue science), everything becomes SUPER circuit heavy. If there is any line other than copper/iron you want to go both sides on, it is loving circuits.

I've reached the endgame with my little desert base. I have my factory producing distractor capsules. I have been using them to ravage bases (and to manually turn into destroyer capsules). I built mk2 power armor, and loaded it up as such.

Enemies are less dangerous when you can outrun them all. My strategy has been to capsule myself a robot army, and run around in circles while everything dies.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Prior to medium biters, you can take out small wormless nests with just a flamethrower and steel armor. If you do a couple of those though, mediums won't be far behind. Poison capsules are pretty good against worms early on. Distracter and destroyer capsules are both excellent, and it is very possible to clear out nests, including worms, with those two. Unless the nest is like 10+ spawners, in no way do you need to run to laser turrets. It works, but it isn't necessary.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It has a few gimmick challenges. One gives you some chests and a timer. You have to put so much of a stated resource in the chest before the timer expires. Another puzzle-like mode has you connecting chests. If money is tight, I would suggest just buying the base game. Chances are good that is what you are going to be playing 99% of the time anyway.

Just built rocket defense in my desert factory too. I was vacuuming down copper deposits at the end.

One easy mod with minimal impact I like is 90 degree inserters. I was wishing it was in the base game, and then I noticed somebody had already done it. You can instantly craft 90 degree versions of any of the inserters. If you pick them up, they revert back to their base type. Useful for cramming in factories.
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3622

I agree with the suggestion about not turning on peaceful mode too. Being attacked is part of the game. And is manageable so long as you pay attention to your defenses. Start making stone bricks early, build initial walls and gun towers, and prioritize laser towers.

I would also not suggest jacking up the richness to crazy levels. I did that when I started, and it is more interesting needing to actually go out and secure more resources. Jack up the richness and your initial deposits would probably last forever.

I am not sure how sold I am on trains. They are totally cool, but I feel like just belting in ore from a remote base takes a lot less effort.

One thing I do suggest is just turning all of your heavy oil into lubricant. You'll appreciate it if you ever go robot crazy, or if you like using express belts everywhere.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 20, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

That would certainly be good at making it more square shaped.

I think that as you get better at layouts, you tend to move away from bussing products, and instead producing them where they are needed. Take plastic for example. The only thing you are likely to automate with it is advanced circuits. It doesn't make much sense to centrally bus plastic, expanding the width of your bus.

Iron and copper plates are basically a lock for your bus, and should be on your fastest available belt. I would probably also bus the basic electronic circuit using a fast belt, since you use so god damned many of them once you get to tier 3 and beyond. I think that beyond those three a just-in-time production philosophy is very viable, where you put the needed factory on the spot.

And who busses stone? Seriously.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Trying a game right now where there is zero easy access to coal. Figured it might be a fun challenge. There is coal on the map, but it requires me to go through a nest. What I do however have is a number of trees to chop down, and easy access to numerous oil wells.

My goal has been to make a minimalist wood-powered setup as I rush to oil processing, so I can power everything via solid fuel.

My tech list is going automation->steel processing->oil processing. I just handcrafted 50 green flasks, while I set my factory to make red flasks. Keeping things really small until I can get solid fuel coming, as handfeeding wood sucks.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I would suggest turning all heavy oil into lubricant for drones/belts, and cracking all light into petroleum.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 22, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

What on earth are you doing with four battery factories? I seem to have no problems at all getting enough batteries for tech, accumulators, and a mountain of laser turrets out of one factory.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

TheBlackVegetable posted:

I thought I was playing this game pretty well, got a nice factory set up pumping out blue science and starting on modules... then I looked at power armour requirements... and back at my tiny rear end factory piddling out pieces... and I realised, ive got to start thinking much, much bigger.
Wait until you see the rocket defense materials.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

CK07 posted:

I can't figure out how to install mods. I'm on Win7 ultimate. I've tried a couple different inserter mods, just putting them into the mods folder, and I get errors when I start the game. I see that there's a json file in the mods directory, does that need to be altered? I feel like an idiot, I can wrangle miles of conveyor belts but apparently I can't unrar a file to the right place?
Jut put the mod folder into your data directory. For example, I have the directory C:\Program Files\Factorio\data\Side-Inserters

Motherfucker posted:

I wish you could plant new trees and automatically harvest them somehow.

That way you could go green AND stay black!

And get vengeance.
There is a mod for farming trees.
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I would always put the smelters where you want to put the smelters, regardless of the location of the deposit. Deposits run out. That said, if you have a close deposit to start, putting mines next to it is reasonable, and then rebuilding later.