Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
This suddenly came onto my radar from a few different places today and it looks amazing. Like some kind of perverted cross between Transport Tycoon and the Tekkit mod in Minecraft.

Time to get my :spergin: on, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Filthy Monkey posted:

Looks neat, but I wish they had other methods of payment. Amazon payments, or google checkout, or any sort of direct credit card processor. Paypal blacklisted my card after my account got hacked, and there is no way I am touching buttcoins.

Their most recent blog post says they're working on exactly that.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I actually don't understand the use of the faster belts - having things travel faster doesn't increase throughput at all, would it? It'd just reduce travel time, which is essentially useless once your system's humming along at full production speed.

Anyone care to explain the value of them to me?

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Hagop posted:

What's up needlessly long main bus buddy :spergin::respek::spergin:

Could you show how the topmost items get to your factories? The image is too zoomed out for me to make out how you sorcelled that together.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Hagop posted:

Sure after lunch I'll put together some section shots.

*edit:

Here is a standard belt cross settup.

And here it what it looks like when it is done

let me know if their is anything else you want to see.

Thanks that looks great. Seems like you've hit the mark on what you'd want to transport by belt as well, even once you have logistic drones up and running. I played my current game to around mid-way into blue science before I wanted to start from scratch on a concept like that - get all the basic goods and low tier intermediates on fast belts, have all slow end products karted around by an army of drones.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Sarrisan posted:

This may be a stupid question, but is there a way to mass-delete entire sections of construction? I just had to move my science factory because I way underestimated how much space I'd need for blue science (God knows what I'll do when I get to purple), and removing all of the old stuff is a right pain in the rear end. It's all outdated tech, too, so I don't even want it.

Speaking of which, is there a way to permanently delete items? I've got dozens of iron chests scattered randomly about with garbage that I didn't want to deal with anymore.

Not as far as I know.

Apparently 1) put in chest 2) blow up chest works.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Delamore posted:

Multiplayer is an awful lot of fun with 3-5 dudes.

Yeeeeesssss! That looks like what happens on OpenTTD servers as well - super involved train lines built by whoever logs on. I really enjoyed touristing around on those for a while. Maybe it's time to go back and see what's going on.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Not to derail this thread about this excellent game of sperging logistics (in space!) but they recently announced the release date for Prison Architect - this calendar year.

So that's realistically another 9 - 10 updates max. Which should be enough to put in a campaign and gangs and the other stuff that's clearly still on the list.

Man that space picture is cool. Assuming it's expensive to create a larger platform you suddenly have to worry not just about making poo poo at all, but also about making it in the most space-efficient way. Not a consideration we've really had to deal with before.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I was about to say the same thing - that was truly a thing of beauty.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to use to figure out signals and all that but in terms of gameplay usefulness i would say it’s pretty minimal. I think the buffer amounts were already changed in the last major patch to ensure x seconds of productivity rather than simply double the recipe. (That might be coming in 0.17 though, I recall seeing it in a dev diary, haven’t checked in game).

Secondarily the “lost” resources are a drop in the bucket. And if your throughput ever slows it gets used up anyway. (I suppose the partial fills in assemblers does not get used but generally your throughout will - if it slows down it’ll only hit the first few assemblers, meaning the buffer will be comparatively smaller still)

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Regarding rail signalling - I saw a pretty good overview about structuring rails networks linked on the factorio reddit. It explains the whole idea behind signals without assuming you've been running a model railroad in a dedicated room of your house for the last 20 years, which I found helpful.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

kanonvandekempen posted:

I guess you can't really say much but would you say it's a 3D first person factorio game or more like a survival game with some belts?

The first. My uncle at Nintendo told me.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Mr. Powers posted:

Should I make a Satisfactory thread? I can write something up and post the thread once it is no longer under NDA.

Yes. For reasons I am not yet at liberty to elaborate on I think that's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Radiation Cow posted:

So I've finally conquered my restartitis and launched a rocket in vanilla. I'm still keen to keep going, which means megabase but I'm not sure how to manage the transition.

Does anyone have any best practices on how to make the transition as smooth as possible? I've noticed that my bottleneck is modules and circuits, but I'm running four blue belts of iron and copper and don't have much room to expand the bus, so I'd need to rejigger the entire base to make space.

Almost tempted to leave this base running and build up somewhere else but I'm not sure if there's sufficient infrastructure to support it.

I am hardly an expert but the approach I’ve both seen and taken once myself is to use your current base to build a bigass iron and copper mine, some smelting facilities (fed by trains from those mines) for end game quantities for both (probably built with modules in mind, even if you don’t currently have enough) and then a green circuit build fed from the results of those smelting facilities. From there it’s up to you, probably a bigass power thing, some red circuits, large scale module production, etc.