Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm a clod who has spaghetti'd my way to rockets and taken my first cracks at real automation/bases and find vanilla engaging but solved. Space Exploration looks great, is that a good mod for a next step into more complication? I know there are other overhaul mods but I'm not sure how much I want "Vanilla but with 12 extra steps between finished goods." Obviously I'll try SE soon but I am wondering what the pipeline or sliding scale is from Vanilla to the highest end of complication.

Also wondering if there are well known mods for things like different biter types, I like solving the problems of defense a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ah perfect thanks to you both. Exactly the sort of community knowledge I needed. :tipshat:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Kras 2 really hitting the spot, thanks again for the recommendation. I added Bob's Enemies to it but I've not seen the new spawns yet, though I'm still pretty early game with first three sciences automated. Gonna go knock out the closest nests, probably get evo above 20% just in time for border walls and flamethrower tech, unless Kras really throws me for a loop there.

Really like the windmill and greenhouse techs, though they seem a bit open to abuse. On the other hand at the level of automation to mass produce them I'd have a huge iron bus for the windmills or be ready to slam to green mods for the greenhouses to combat pollution.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Tamba posted:

No need to bother with that.
Krastorio also has air filters which just delete pollution from a chunk at the cost of air filters (that you can wash and reuse).
Once you unlock that, biters which never bother you again.

Oooh. I may have to set up and test walls for fun a few times before I give into my turtle mindset and keep my cloud small.

yoloer420 posted:

Warptorio2 is also incredible, but it's basically a tower defence game.

You've got my interest.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Solumin posted:

How do y'all set up labs for a megabase? 1k spm means setting up 1000 labs (or the equivalent with modules and beacons) which is a lot.

That'd be far past the point where I go from sustenance production to factory production so making a thousand of anything is just a matter of setting up the assemblers. Make a blueprint and tile it out, watch the bots do it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oh hell yes that's going on the list. Thank you!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thought I was a smart guy getting blue science automated in K2, then the new purple and yellow rolled up on me. But this is great! Pure time burning Factorio fun. I've got my first exos, personal robots and big mall set up so the world is my oyster, which is great since it's time to set up some really aggressive border walls for factory space and resources.

Bob's Enemies has been a touch dull. Is Rampant the sort of thing that goes well with mid-game saves? I'm giving it a brute force try anyway and half my base hasn't despawned so here's hoping.

Edit: Ah yeah, goes in perfectly and already more interesting. Sweet.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 13, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The K2 loaders don't snugly fit with the machine they're unloading so I think the inserters look more natural. :shobon:

Automated yellow science and all pre-reqs yesterday in K2, I can practically taste power armor 2, a 4-6 exo load out, 2+ personal robos and setting up base-wide logistics. I'm sure the new tiers of science will beat me up shortly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Make the usual mega factory, add a branch that processes mats up to better quality and cycles the losers back to the mega factory or start of the loop? Sounds fun. Filter Arms are back on the menu.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Lazy Bastard is surprisingly easy and relaxed if you look up the mandatory first 100 crafts and disable your hand craft hotkeys. Amounted to setting up extra empty assemblers ready to go at a few central points and carrying a stack of assemblers/mods/chest/grabbers, which you usually do anyway.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Lazy Bastard made me faster overall because hand crafting is often a trap.

Also can't put modules in your hands.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, the 20m is out of proportion with everything else and I wonder how much time they spend just connecting iron and copper feeds. Or setting up chains of inserters stuffing chests with useless circuitry.

I set up a reasonable hourly output and reloaded a save once a day before reading a book. Took a few weeks. I could've aggressively expanded my circuit farms but the save was set up after I did so 3-4 times past beating the game already...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I admire your tenacity.

Must be the season for it with expansion previews reminding everybody about Factorio. I lost interest in redesigning a proper base 2/3 of the way into my last K2 and restarted this week. Feels good to optimize my start.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Freaksaus posted:

Any lower than my current settings and I'm not sure if I would've had the resources to make enough bullets to get to the next ore patches.

No clue on how things will be once I get a bit further out there, but even a 60k iron patch isn't going to last very long if I try and ramp up production. Without biters I guess it would be doable, but the sheer iron requirements for the long belts, even the copper for the power poles would be pretty taxing.

Sounds like you should carry your base on your back and in a car as soon as possible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Hmm. So inventory full of turrets and ammo, and inch towards the nests.. didn’t realise I could use turrets in combat like that too. Doh. I saw I could wield flamethrowers if I had oil, so I’ll try to secure the oil next, set up flamethrowers there so I won’t lose the base, and then go clearing the nests nearby with help of turrets. Maybe that will help…

Some advanced combat tips:

1) Don't carry some grenades. Make a hundred and aggressively toss them into Biter crowds. The materials for 1 grenade can kill 50+ biters simultaneously in an instant. Compare that to the red ammo cost and time firing.

2) Hotkey turrets and ammo, spread a crescent of 4+ turrets, select ammo, use single drop(Z) and wave your mouse over the crescent until it feels good. Do it again and leapfrog forward, deconstructing a wave only when two are covering each other.

2a) If you drop 2-4 turrets ahead of everything else they can soak worm spit and early aggro as you get an actual crescent set up and manually SMG down the worms.

3) Carry fish.

4) If you're within a few tech jumps to get modules(though you've got no oil...) putting greens in your entire base really shrinks the cloud.

5) Expansion parties are much smaller than consecutive staggered nests so walling far past your cloud with radars and turrets pays off in the long run. Having radars in empty space near your base lets you run out and kill a 2-4 nest expansion as soon as it spawns too.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

I got some oil now so I can make light blue science with red cards. This game has so much stuff.. It feels like my factory does nothing because I’m not fast enough to utilise myself all the goods the factory provides.

This is normal if you don't have a very motivated and knowledgeable plan for what to build or expand next. Don't sweat it and let your factory build chests full of useful goodies that will be ready when you need them, assuming your ore isn't about to tap out of course.

Hell, it's why everybody makes a mall. You never know when you'll want to do 3k wall tiles worth of border work but I'd much rather pull it from a long forgotten chest and furnace line then go set it up and wait/do something else when I know I want that project now.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Think of planets as train outposts and the rockets as trains. Space is tight on planets, right? Gotta send that stuff back home into the main factory machinery.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Everything but green chips is a reasonable amount of growing the factory. Getting to a rate of chips that'll remove idling from 20m greens is some aggressively setting up outposts and trains across 2-3 times the average megabase scale.

If you wanted to read a book or something with the game open then produce a bulk green chip factory blueprint, tile it to tedium/output limits and set up steel chests to fill. Make a safety save and load it once a day for an hour, then don't save and repeat later. Will get you the green chip nonsense in a week or two depending on scale.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If you can tolerate the sight of a long belt then you can make turret border walls for infrequent attacks and expansion groups. Unfortunately yellow belt reloads and 5 clips each will die really fast to extended pollution cloud aggression.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 19, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Somebody here made Ultracube, yes? Saw a playthrough vid pop up on my Youtube recommended, looks like you've reached the fanbase. Nice work!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The mental image of Factorio guy building multiple processing and orbital junk ejecting facilities for waste products across multiple planets is simply sublime. The "Factorio Guy is the villain" theory turned up to 11 as he exponentionally expands polluting for personal gain operations.

Yes, space is impossibly big but I applaud the spirit of it. Just a half dozen steady streams of debris launched into space as mile high stripes in the sky...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I gotchu fam.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Gorgeous to see those naturally generated paths, especially as an aesthetics-brained defender nut.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I set down as many beacons as continues to look aesthetically pleasing. As many as can possibly fit into a tileable space? No thanks!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Well you know what they say, if you want something done you've got to wear it yourself.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Babe wake up, new death world tech just dropped.

Loving that it's canonical that the Factorio guy is superhumanly strong. Lmao at Fred Flintstoning an entire train car. All the QoL looks great too.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pumping oil into moats I can light on fire. Please preview this with the update to fighting aliens, tia.

Ooh ooh, how about dumping pollution into water to kill underwater biter nests?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I know they can be divisive but I'm really hoping biters gets expanded for variety and scale of threat. Once you realize the power of the flamethrower they're quite solved unless you push to rapid expansion with enough evo for frequent behemoths.

Rampant is pretty good for teeth on normal biters but I've not seen anything else that adds to them and feels good.

And of course new planets need new threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Incredibly invasive and aggressive growing plant life. Carpets of death. You get a walking around "starter" option like the weed whacker from Zombies Ate My Neighbors, upgrade to a giant lawnmower version of the car and an even bigger riding mower style tank. Defenses could be refining new chemical materials to make weed killer gas clouds or automated sprinkler system sprays that you can wire up to activate defensively and/or periodically.

Fire spreads aggressively along the plants but add some give or take to it, alternatively or in unison with an interaction between pollution/trees/evil plants, some kind of whammy if you get too cocky somehow. Evolve the Engineer vs Trees wars.