Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This game is amazing. I just played the demo tutorial missions and holy hell. This takes the best of a lot of ideas and makes it in to a really easy to figure out game that will have a lot of depth as you get into the later phases of it.

Spacechem meets Transport Tycoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

gently caress, I can barely drive my car without hitting something and blowing up as it is, making it go even faster would be a nightmare

Exactly this. How the hell do you guys control the car so well that you want it to go even faster?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

How do you get construction bots to disassemble your base? Is that what the red blueprint is for? :downs:

edit: apparently that's exactly what it's for

Will the bots clean up resources that are just laying around on the ground during a cleanup? and will they take items from the storage chests and put them in the requester chests as long as the requester chest quota hasn't been met? And will they things from the storage chests to build with?

ie: I deconstruct my steam engines and they place them in a storage chest. Can I then place a build order for a steam engine and have them take the components(boilers etc.) from a storage chest to build it?

This is my first time making it this far in terms of research progression and my base is a huge mess and needs rebuilding.

I also built the Von Neuman machine where the bots are perpetually building more bots and neatly placing them into a drone silo.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 16, 2014

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

DaveKap posted:

If you don't have an endgame moment where 20+ logistics bots are constantly feeding you your every whim as you raise your arms in the air yelling "Yes, come to me my pretties! Come!" then I don't even want to know you.

I find that the logistics and construction bots kind of ruin the challenge of the game because everything just happens and you have to do a lot less thinking to get things from point A to point B.

They are handy but since discovering them I've lost a bit of interest in continuing.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

In Dytek mod there's a way to play where you have no little guy running around, is there a way to enable this sort of behavior without using Dytek?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

For everyone who loves the game and wants it more complicated and harder, Dytech (Worst name. All I can think of is LOST ANOTHER LOAN TO DYTECH DOT COM~) just made a major update and is the best mod for the game right now, by a mile and change. It rules.

Dytech adds a lot of things to the game not all of which are useful, some of which are very imbalanced, some that are just plain bad, and a few really great things.

I wouldn't install all the dytech modules because it just creates this complicated unbalanced game.

Mods I'm using:
Belts+
BeltStorage
CleanPipes
TerminalChest

Dytech Modules I'm using:
Dytech-automation
Dytech-Core
Dytech-Energy
Dytech-Inserters
Dytech-Logistics
Dytech-Transportation

I think the rest of the Dytech modules are unnecessary and don't add anything worthwhile to the game they just simply make it more confusing and unnecessarily bloated.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 18, 2014

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

ikanreed posted:

What about automatic rail laying machine? Not using that for some reason?

I don't really use trains, never have, so no use for it. :v:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Neruz posted:

Then you are a fool!

Trains are amazing, once you work out how the gently caress they work.

I guess I just don't have the patience to learn a second logistics system.

Maybe in my next game I'll try out trains.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Trains won't be too difficult if you aren't going to run multiple sets on a single rail.

That said, I've died to trains more than biters at this point. Protip: exiting a moving train will leave you close enough to be ran over by the following cars.

Protip: Play in sandbox mode then you don't have a player character that can die :v:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This may be a dumb question likely with a simple answer.

Is there a way to quickly clear trees or must I click harvest all of them?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Mr Wikstroem posted:

If you've gotten far enough into the tech tree to have construction bots you can have them clear trees for you. Failing that you could always build a vehicle and go for a ride... :killdozer:

I've gotten into the bots (not on my current game though) how do I assign them to clear trees?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Use a deconstruction(red) blueprint to select areas of trees.

Thanks. I would have sworn I tried that a few patches ago (6-8 months ago) and it didn't do anything, guess I'll have to try it again.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

b00n posted:

Nope, that would be bobs mods. Any one of them. Take them all for extra fun.

So are you saying that Dytech is actually good and/or balanced now?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

KillHour posted:

"Good and/or balanced" is not mutually inclusive with "fun."

Fair enough.

Some of the poo poo that Dytech adds just seems unnecessary.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Torpor posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Found real life Factorio.

You can just slowly zoom out to get a sense of scale. That type of thing extends for miles and miles to the north, south, and east of that point it is pretty staggering.

That's pretty goddamn amazing.

I wonder what the production speed on their rocket defense is.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Solumin posted:

I ran across this thread randomly yesterday, checked out the demo and found it to be pretty fun. I'm thinking about buying the game, but I'm confused about pricing.

The base game is currently $16. You can upgrade to the second tier to get the base game + Scenarios DLC for $21.50.
According to their blog, the game on Steam will include the Scenarios DLC and will retail for $19.95.

It sounds like my best bet is to just wait for it to come out on Steam and get the whole package for $20. Am I understanding this correctly? Is it possible that buying just the base game now for $16 will net me the Scenario DLC when Steam keys are released?

Thanks!

In a recent devblog they talk about this actually.

There's going to be absolutely no difference between them once it launches on Steam. The original plan was to have separate things, but the scenarios will be part of the main package, rather than maintain two separate products.

quote:

The Scenario Pack

Starting with the game release on Steam, the Scenario Pack will be distributed together with the basic game itself. This is quite a big change=) Our motivations are following:

We believe that Scenario pack contains some really interesting content that gives prominence to different aspects of the game than the Campaign and the Freeplay. Exposing this to wider audience feels right.
Having the Scenario Pack in the base package (and not as a paid content) takes away some pressure for updating it. Though we still have ideas for additional scenarios / mini campaigns.
Adding the Scenario Pack gives more justification to increased price.

For more info: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-124

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

ikanreed posted:

At this point anyone waiting is waiting for the steam release.

It's actually better to buy it now at $16 and get the whole game than wait for steam release and pay $20 and get the exact same thing you can pay $16 for right now.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

How playable and close to beta is this game? I saw in the OP it was supposed to release summer 2015 however its still in early access on steam.

It's basically 95% feature complete with a few details missing but nothing you're ever going to notice, really.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Not to argue that it's not finished but,

Tetris has grand master and Pac-Man you can overflow and break the point counter.

This has a win condition. You launch the rocket.

Or build a factory so large your computer grinds to a halt (this may not be possible since the performance patch about 6 months ago).

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 29, 2016

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

I actually would love someone explain how this game can handle so much stuff going on at once so well.

I think they may have actually talked about that in a dev blog a while back.

edit: Yeah, at least twice.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-121

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-117

It specifically talks about pathfinding implementations, but that's a big part of things.

The devs have spent a lot of time optimizing the performance on this game, I remember back in 0.9 or 0.10 that the performance was balls, and now it runs like a rocket engine on meth.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 29, 2016

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

RattiRatto posted:

Yea performance here is insanely good for an indie game like this.
Think about DF and how it melts your processor when you have 30+ dwarfs.

Question: i was starting to look into mods, i'm kind of confused by DryTech vs Bob's. Are they conflicting as two totally different mods or one expands the other?

Two totally different mods and unless they've been significantly revamped I'd avoid them because they add unnecessary complexity, like I know more complexity might be good, but in this case not really. Pick and choose portions of Dytech if you want, but don't install the whole suite. I think parts of them are compatible, treemod for one I think.

Edit: However until you've sunk 100+ hours into this, mods are probably unnecessary, the base game has a ton of content and you really don't need mods to make it 100% fun and playable unlike some other titles.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 29, 2016

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Thanks for the heads up!

I guess it's back to coal for me :/

Cut down all the trees and burn wood.

But yeah, don't convert to solid fuel until you have a really good production line going for the other oil products (plastic etc.) you have and know you're going to have an excess of oil.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I think in almost 2 years of playing this game, I've automated blue science packs... twice... I'm never happy with my factories so I start over...

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Anyone should do that for quite some time iirc.

This really needs to go at the top of every page and every 5 posts thereafter.

Really learn the base game before you even look at mods. This game is 100% completely functional and fun without mods. Mods (in general) just add unneeded complexity for complexities sake!

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think you can use any fuel, like coal, wood or solid fuel.

Plastic specifically requires coal unless something has been changed in the last few months.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

Do spitters attack trains? Could you actually make a train that's just shy of a complete loop and set it to chasing its tail until you tell it to stop? I've never gotten around to trains, so I don't know much about them.

That would be a mighty looonnnnggg train.

Why not just play in peaceful mode?

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 3, 2016

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

I usually do. I'm just curious whether it'd actually work.

It's an interesting question, I may have to try it out, just to see what happens.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Control Volume posted:

I'll probably hold off until that big update is here then, since I know I'll burn myself out on this game before it ever gets added if I buy it now. Looks boss though.

This is faulty logic.

If you buy the game now, you might have figured out how to get to the space platform by the time they add it.

This is no simple game, get ready for many many hours of just learning how to set things up efficiently and manage your production lines.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This is what I use for red/green science.

I just started a new game, this is about an hour in.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

widespread posted:

Well I would be alright, but since a recent blackout related to not-automated coals, I threw a fit and tore down fuckin' everything in order to reorganize and try for a bus line with solar power.

How do you bus. Just have all mines point to one line that splits a lot?

It doesn't need to split at all necessarily, but the idea behind a bus is you have a primary line carrying your basic resources and take from the primary line as required to do sub-tasks.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Captain_duck posted:

Just finished my first game of factorio, took me 32 hours.

Ended up being a big heap of spaghetti (drat those blue circuits), but man that was a lot of fun.

Very cool. Your base looks good. :v:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Travic posted:

Ok. I'm trying to plan how many solar panels I need to run my base. My laser turrets aren't used much since I've been very aggressive about removing nests that are affected by my pollution so attacks are rare and small.

So a solar panel produces about 20MJ during daylight hours.

A day lasts 417 seconds.

I add up all the kW in my base and that's how much power I need per second?

My secondary resource base: 12 electric miners. 12*90*417=450,360kW per day. 450,360/20,000=22.5(round up to 23) solar panels to power them all day and night? With 20 accumulators?

Don't forget that solar panels don't work at 100% efficiency all the time. They start low as the sun comes up and decrease production as it goes down, giving only 100% production for a percentage of the day cycle.

Also:

mastermind2004 posted:

You need more solar panels. That's always how many solar panels you need. More.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

two input belts:

That's how splitters work.

If you want it to even out move your splitter than you have on the branch back up to where the two splitters are taking from the main bus instead of partway in between the production modules as you have it now.

Also why are you doing a double split from your bus like that.

Better would be this, and it will balance the split across both belts automagically:

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 11, 2016

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Chakan posted:

That article is crazy cause I figured anyone with 15+ hours who was interested in it would've fired a rocket. I'm not downplaying the work involved, but I restarted twice then did the whole thing pretty cleanly. Are there really people that have put a whole mess of time and still haven't fired a rocket?

e: I should make clear, I'm talking more about the author, obviously the dude with 10+ launchpads and 500 hours has launched a rocket.

15+ hours. What? I guess if someone is using guides and YouTube to see optimal everything.

15 or even 30 hours teaches you basic facility setup and slight optimization. I would not expect anyone to get to rockets in their first 50 hours without googling the hell out of setting things up, which in my opinion is sort of counter fun.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

DarkSol posted:

I've got plenty of solid fuel for both the burner inserters and the boilers for all 30 of them. I have ten boilers for ten steam engines, each fed from a separate pump per ten boilers.

I'm thinking it may be a bug, because it just started all of a sudden.

I am definitely sure.

Check out this power graph.

Your solar power is covering your usage.

Switch the graph to 5s view and you will see that. The 10h view is just that, average usage for the past 10 hours real time.

Look at the blue line in your graph (solar) it exactly matches the reduction in your steam boiler (orange line) output.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think they're very business savvy. They've stuck to their $20.00 price point instead of going with $19.99. They don't do sales, they whine about government grants for game development.

If everyone operated the same way as them, they might be okay, but when people are using all the cool marketing/business tricks, they've really got to step up their game.

I'd say for a couple guys who've done zero marketing. Making several million dollars is pretty good.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just played through the demo of this and really like it. Are my 20 bucks still well-spent on steam, or should I grab it off some other platform for mod-compatibility and whatnot?

It doesn't matter where you buy it from except how much money they "lose" on the sale.

If you buy it direct from them, they get the full amount, and they *should* give you a Steam key if you want it. I think.

If you buy it from steam they lose the 30% steam fee.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So their websitr is the way to go to support them, then? I'd be happy to do that, but I'm a little concerned about my credit card company triggering another automatic security hold due to a transaction from yet another source and spazzing out.

gently caress it, might just go for it anyway, the demo was a lot of fun

I think sales on their site might be handled through Humble... not 100% sure, I bought it several years ago.

Edit: Yeah, looks like it's through HumbleBundle. So you can paypal or directly pay with cc.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

Why do my two trains lock up here?

Left train doesn't go into station because of the right one and right one doesn't continue because of left one. But I have plenty of signals along the track and these are my only trains atm...

Do you have another signal just right of where the screenshot ends? It looks like whatever is on the right branch of the line is blocking the trains from exiting because it doesn't have a signal to say that section is all clear until it reaches the next signal.

I don't know if it's exactly how it works as my train time in Factorio is limited, but in TTD a signal won't clear until the train passes the next signal, so you may need to drop signals at regular intervals along your tracks so that the previous signals clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This is the most amazing post in the whole thread.