Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Anyone have an example of a refinery complex approaching cleanliness? Mine is a hideous slapdash affair (due mainly to figuring out systems on the go) and I'd like it to be neater next time I build one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

The Shortest Path posted:

This is my refinery setup. It's a bit cramped, but is probably the most efficient way to hook a bunch of refineries up to the same system while also being easy to set up chemical plants off of any of the outputs.

Awesome.

I'm really liking the 'central bus' setup someone posted earlier in the thread. Just got blue science running!

(for some reason my png uploaded into a jpg :confused:)

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
I really just want roads for cars, gates for walls and some sort of under/overpass walkway you could build across conveyors and railroads

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
Oh gosh, I thought trains were fun, but I just got into logistics robots. Yes, tiny robots, fix my car :swoon:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Klaus Kinski posted:

RTS-mode for sandbox play would also be great, most of the fun for me currently is building enormous production chains not replenishing turret ammo or walking around buildings :(

It would be cool if you could build things anywhere within your construction drone range. Would save me from stumping around my base in constant train danger.

Is it just me or are the Biters waaaay less aggressive if you don't have any nests in your pollution zone? I've killed the nests near me and since switching to electric furnaces and solar power (and an external mining base) my pollution is way down and I barely get attacked now. On the other hand the new mining base is like some sort of alien magnet.

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 13, 2014

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
It seems like the biters will only start sending waves if their nest is under your pollution cloud. You can locate nests you haven't scanned (or that have spawned since); the chunks of your pollution cloud that are blinking indicate the location of nests. Of course blowing up biter nests increases their evolution factor hugely as well so be careful removing them in the earlier stages of the game.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Colonel J posted:

:lol: Game still needs work, I generated a new map and spawned here:

No way to escape!

On the upside, you are completely safe from enemy attack!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
Miners can actually mine up to one block away from the actual structure, so you can space them one or two blocks apart and cover a whole patch with fewer miners. You also have to move them less, which is nice. Babysitting machinery sucks.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
I think a recycling or disassembling machine would be more in the theme of things

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

President Ark posted:

Question (which I can't test for myself right now): If a splitter has two inputs and two outputs, will it act as an equalizer that tries to divide the inputs across both output belts?

yup

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
Returning but newbie player here (the last time I really played Factorio the rocket defense was just a square placeholder graphic), i just got to crude oil and am kind of paralyzed by how obnoxious it is to route pipes. I spent my first few packets of blue science to unlock advanced processing, but I'm not really sure what i should be building - should i even bother thinking about how much i can support on the back of my 4 oil wells, or just build one of each product to get the assembly lines going? Also with red chips online I can build roboports and whatnot, what is a good early task to set my new robits to?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Scorps posted:

As for pipes try putting all your refineries in a line and connect the outputs of similar products in a way such as this, you can see all the undergrounds of all the various outputs essentially link them all together: https://imgur.com/ajh35Mi

2 pipes of the same liquid can't touch but an underground pipe can touch whatever. I assume hopefully you are playing on .17 with the new fluids, I do not have much experience with .16 fluids but I know they were a significantly larger pain in the rear end and could accidentally mix together

Thanks for the replies guys, this in particular looks pretty useful. I think I'm just trying to build spaghetti in a small space for literally no reason and just need to spread out a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
So I switched my game version up from latest stable to one of the newer 1.7 versions since those have new interesting features. What's the most stable one of these, am I generally going to be pretty safe leaving it on latest experimental?

Also my initial base was small and cramped and under attack from all sides so instead of ripping up and rebuilding I started a new game post 1.7 with the intention of building MORE and BIGGER from the start, and it's working out great! (it turns out you can do research much faster if you are also producing much more, who would have thought!)

Base V1:

base V2: