Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Also, you need a bit of a reservoir of hot water to properly run the system; add some pipes between the boilers and the steam engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You can click 'edit map', and just drop down a bunch of poo poo for yourself and start on that map. I start with a bunch of inserters, miners and electricity infrastructure to skip the first boring 10 minutes.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Resources running out means you need to expand, clear out enemy nests, and start investing in train networks, which is cool.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

autofeed the burner inserters with even more burner inserters :getin:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

Want a mod that gives me personal robobuddies in some capacity at the start. Blah blah making the game too easy, but I can't focus long enough to get to them :(

You can just make a custom map and dump the necessities on the ground for you to pick up. I always do that because I hate the first half hour of slowly getting iron and copper and power automated.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

lol (bolding mine)

quote:

The way to slavery

I wanted to avoid politics in this blog, but as this is relevant to computer games I had to proceed.

There is a report of the EU called Creative Europe - Media. It states that they basically took 3.2 million euro (stolen from other people through taxes), and they just gave the money to certain game companies of their choice.

Just stop for a while and think what does it mean.
They took money from a small studio like us, and they just gave it to some big game studio (CD Project) to support the creation of DLC for their franchise Witcher 3.
From what I have read, they mainly wanted to support games with a lot of story telling. This means, that they think, that they know what is best for us better than we do. They decide for us what kind of game should we play, what movies are worthy, what art is worth support. They decide what kind of food should be supported and what kind shouldn't be. They put quotas of production because they know better how much is enough. The list goes on, and it is all getting worse every year and if we let it go like this for another 20 years, we are all going to be just slaves.
I would like to state, that Wube software never took this kind of dirty money, and we are certainly not planning to do so in the future.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Applewhite posted:

So after playing Factorio all weekend I've come to the conclusion that it is, in fact, the thinking man's cookie clicker.

Not saying that's a bad thing, but definitely fun for all the same reasons.

Right now my current quest is to automate the manufacturing of green potions. I've almost cracked it.

Once you get further a bit and unlock more systems the complexity ramps way up and you will solve problems to solve problems to solve problems that will make your game maybe a bit easier/automatic. It's cool.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Still the same, yeah. Just rush past that stage to be able to convert your excesses into gas.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

A problem I'm finding with single lane buses is that each time you split off to somewhere it's needed, you're cutting the amount on the bus after that point by half each time.

100 green circuit per minute bus gets reduced down to 12 per minute after just 3 off-branches. I was thinking of either making triple lane buses or dedicated lanes. 1 green circuit bus for EVERY section that requires green circuits, etc?

I only bus copper/iron plates, and make the rest in-situ, basically. You can double/triple up the bus if you need more plates to reach the end.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Research advanced oil tech: you can crack using water and convert heavy oil to light oil, and light oil to gas. That's it, no other options. Generally this is the first thing I research once I have blue science.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

They are the same as slipstream chests, found here: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=7121
They're pretty cool as buffers or in cramped spaces.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Holy poo poo, gently caress you. Go back to reddit with that poo poo. These are some legitimate issues with the game, but it's still good and fun. It's not a bad thing to criticize a game, especially if you like it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Replace with assembler 1 maybe?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Well, it's still a game about producing goods and transporting them around I guess!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

This one is also nice: https://factorioprints.com/view/-Kj8bHstSx0LnWi6rqhU
(that site is golden if you're looking for nice blueprints)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Maybe your belt balancers aren't working 100%. If you're merging belts without proper balancing one side of the belt is treated preferentially for instance.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Even when you have nice blueprints and stuff, you'll still end up kludging stuff together, only on a larger scale. You might not have any trouble connecting a factory to the right belts anymore, but you'll run into trouble getting enough raw material into your factory instead, leading to intricate train layouts etcetera.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I mainly use ease of use mods like FARL, RSO, Fat Controller, Factorissimo, Long Reach. Bottleneck, Upgrade Builder & Planner, Squeak trough. Not necessary but helpful and cool.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I use this one: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Pasukaru/quick-start

The large setting is huge overkill, but nice if you just want to skip a phase of base building.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

make more / add speed beacons / add pumps if pipe throughput is the issue

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Go ride around and look for more! The map is infinitely big. If you're having throughput issues just put some pumps in the oil pipeline. One pump for every ~200 pipelengths should be plenty.

If your pumps are 'too slow' you can put in speed modules or find more oil patches to put more jacks on. Don't put in modules at the start, it's way too expensive. Just find some more oil fields.

If your oil field are far away you can transport the oil in different ways, like with barrels or fluid trains. There are enough tutorials for that out there!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Oh, never finished the campaign, they're not really interesting, and way harder compared to the meat of the game (freeplay).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Don't play the campaign, play a random map with peaceful mode biters imo. Biters don't add a lot to the game when learning except annoyance.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Belts remain a requirement even into the late game for bulk manufacturing

Nah, bots or trains are always better compared to belts, in all ways except power used.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Solumin posted:

Belts are more aesthetically pleasing than bots. :colbert:

zedprime posted:

You should use belts though because 100% bots turns into sort of just less complicated Anno.

Agreed with both. I hope they find a way to make the choice between belts and bots interesting.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Freaksaus posted:

So, now that I'm finally determined to push through and launch a rocket instead of constantly restarting, at what point do I start using modules? Do people just make a bunch of tier 1's when they become available and slap them in everywhere, or should I wait until I get to the higher tiers?

Tier 3's are barely worth it for most players. Slap tier 3 prods in the rocket launchpad, but put tier 1s in the rest, until you've fully transitioned into a bot based fully beaconed setup, and then go slowly upgrade your modules imo. It will take literally dozens of hours of playtime to make level 3 modules pay themselves back in most machines.

Oh, and you can just skip putting modules in assemblers until you have launched a rocket. They're absolutely not necessary.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

And don't forget lube for electric engines which are needed for bots (and science)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You can put an underground belt at the 'crossing' to get the same effect, iirc.

so instead of:
code:
>>>>>>
   ^
   ^
   ^
build it like this:
code:
U>>>>>
^
^
^