Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just started playing this game last night and I think I'm getting the hang of it:

I think this is a pretty good factory for only my second free world. Now I just need to hammer out the supply chain for blue beakers, then relocate my labs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shadowlz posted:

Here is my first real small red green factory.

Should be easy to expand. Out of my way stone, I have stuff to build.

You know you can build on top of deposits, right?

I felt kinda stupid at first because I thought you had to go around.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

Huh. That is useful. Here's that same factory, not much has changed since.

Basically I did it one step at a time, going "okay, I need this and this... and then a few of those, and drat, I didn't leave enough room, maybe I'll just snake a belt over here... yeah, okay, that works..."

Just you wait until you figure out that you can have 2 items on the same belt. Then your mind (and your layout) will explode. For example, you could easily have a single belt feeding both red and green beakers to those labs.

Also Backwash loops are nice and pretty but really not needed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Anno 2070 tycoons soundtrack, nothing alike the trailer but thematically appropriate

Oh god yes, the soundtrack for that game was amazing. The Tycoon stuff is very, very good for the "somber industrial hellhole" feeling.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

I've done this about five times now. Each time I get a bit further into the game, get a handle on a new mechanic... and then start again from scratch. Next up... robots!

Yeah, I think a lot of people have an issue where they'll restart because they want to start with prior knowledge/don't like their current base look/hit oil/walked away from the game for a bit/a distracting butterfly fluttered by.

Doesn't stop the game from being fun though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It's pretty much "any time Looney Toons plays Powerhouse" the game. So yeah.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Play/try out Big Pharma, wonky shaped input/output machines of all shapes, and you can only rotate, not even mirroring.

Also you can make pills that both cure and cause cancer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

No, you open the achievement menu in the game and click on the particular achievement to track it.

Niftiest goddamned thing too. Especially if you're inflicting Lazy Bastard upon yourself so you see how close you are to loving by one mis-click on your crafting menu.

Remember kiddies, need to save one craft for your initial oil refinery! Can't build them in level 2 assemblers, and level 3's are hidden behind blue science.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

Are they adding steam and cooling towers in this version???

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-173

read for yourself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Alternatively, upgrade your belts if you haven't already?

A saturated yet moving yellow belt can move ~8 items/second. A red belt is 16 and a blue belt is 24.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hell, solar by steam would be a lot cooler and better. Make the only energy producer the standard steam generator (or perhaps with upgraded versions) but make it so that solar panels are heating panels not the kind that directly convert sunlight to electricity. Now instead of producing free *power* you're just producing free *steam*. Now you have to design your solar plants around steam instead of making gigantic parking lots of glass panels. Ideally though the steam generator would get some sort of upgrade.

And besides, the nuclear setup seems to be just another form of tea-kettle anyways. Why not make your entire base run on steam?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Solumin posted:

That's an idea that the community has been kicking around for a while: https://wiki.factorio.com/Power_production#Storing_hot_water_in_tanks
A single tank full of 100° hot water stores a lot of power in a small space.

Wait, you can actually store hot liquids in tanks?

drat, now I really want a solar boiler mod.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Am I the only one who checks to see if Factorio updated on Steam every time I see more than 5 unread posts in this thread?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

The Factorio devs are the most professional team I have ever seen, bar none. It's an amazing change of pace from the usual amateur coder indie game clusterfuck.

There's a few other dev teams as professional/quality, Zachtronics comes to mind. However you rarely get a team this professional AND transparent which leads to cool details.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

New map generator presets:
Rich Resources
Marathon
Dangerous
Death World :black101:
Rail World :fishmech:

And, um, the advanced settings are amazing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Okay, I fully approve of uranium deposits glowing in the dark:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh, hey, electric mining drills automatically "transform" if you put them over uranium deposits. You don't need a special recipe for them, they just gain sulfuric acid tanks/inputs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Biter expansion is frustrating. The setting it starts at is perfect, as endgame doesn't devolve into a constant "clean the biter incursion up" simulator.

But aye, good reminder to anyone who likes that stuff. I hate playing the game without Longreach though :(

Also, you no longer get research from biters anymore.

And yes, I've been spoiled by longreach. WHY IS THAT NOT DEFAULT!?

Edit:
Speaking of research. Oh god, grape juice requires pump jacks! :gonk:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 24, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kenlon posted:

The obvious thing to do would be this:

pre:
<boiler><boiler><boiler><boiler><boiler>
  <gen>   <gen>   <gen>   <gen>   <gen> 
<boiler><boiler><boiler><boiler><boiler>
But you can't actually get the middle gens hooked up to power lines, then.

Just ad a spacer pipes between the boilers. Bam, done.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Speedball posted:

so, to make military science bottles, you have to grind up gun turrets?! Wow. This is going to require automating a lot more stuff than I previously considered automating.

Blues have been downgraded a bit, and require engine units. Purples are the new blues and they require pumpjacks.

"hi techs" require a battery, a blue circuit, a speed module and 30 loving wires.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Factorio: Terraforming(verb): to blacken the skies; to pave with concrete
Factorio: Don't hand-craft nukes, have a machine do it
Factorio: An even better spreadsheet game than EVE
Factorio: Transport Tycoon Deluxe + Nuclear Weapons

e: Factorio: Trees are a pain in the rear end, fire is the solution

Factorio: Now with SEVEN flavors of Kool-Aid!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Onean posted:

Oh, okay.

Low frequency and Very Big size, plus I guess it decided to plonk me in the middle of a lake. I mean, starting off in the middle of a lake could be interesting. I can see land, and while I was hoping landfill would only be Red science as mentioned in a much older FFF, I guess they decided against that.

Add me to the list of people using this start. It's surprisingly cool. Also my starting factory is a mess of spaghetti since I can't really go one direction to set up belts.

Dirk the Average posted:

The Factory is Expanding to Meet the Needs of the Expanding Factory

This one's pretty cool if there's enough room in the text field.

Hmm...some alliteration perhaps?
Factorio: Factoring for Fractal Fraccing Factories

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ambaire posted:

What about :

Factorio 0.15: Now Turing Complete

Also, after so much modded lately, vanilla is a refreshing change. Not having to worry about interweaving ten thousand intermediate products is a nice bonus.

Congratulations. Gun turrets, assemblers and pumpjacks have been upgraded to "intermediary products" for military, blue and purple science respectively.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So on that Goon Island map I finally made a bridge south and found about 1M uranium.

I don't think power will be an issue.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

This is what I do...at least when I have red belts:

Shown vertically and horizontally for clarity.
I call it the belt MOOOOBIUS! (because I loved New Vegas's Dr. Mobius) though I guess Belt Helix would be more technically correct. Or "Space efficient literal impossibility." With underground belts, yellow/reds/blues will only pull from the same color, allowing you to basically phase belts together. Also works with underground pipes. Ore comes in on the slower belt, and then zooms off to the base or train on the faster belt.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Damnit, having to restart my goon island game. Turned out my save got overwritten with a multiplayer save somehow.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Autosaves =/= manual saves. Always make a manual save of your factory when you go do something else / collapse for the night. I do like 'Adventures001' for my first save and then increment it each time I reach a good milestone or stop playing for the day.

It was a normal save. I had saved the game as "Goon Island" and then gone to play with a friend.

I went back yesterday and my "Goon Island" save had the friend's multiplayer game in it.

Rexides posted:

I was thinking about such a setup last night when I went to bed, glad that someone verified that it works. Does it work with electric furnaces too, with the powerlines in-between the inserters? That would make for a very compact design. It's probably going to be fixed at some point though

You'll have to shift it about for the electric furnaces 3x3 shape but yes, it would work. And no, it's been in the game forever and sure as hell isn't getting fixed. I originally got the idea/design for the belt overlapping in this very forum back when Factorio was on version 0.13.x.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

It's not an exploit, it's clever use of game mechanics.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is precisely how the devs feel.

Your dude is able to craft and place a gun-turret that's bigger then him while back-peddling, with both hands full of SMG gunning down a horde of alien wildlife the entire time he does it. Realism is not the biggest deal to the devs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Loopoo posted:

IIRC turbines / heat exchangers are only worthwhile for nuclear power, as they are most efficient at the temps nuclear power outputs (165 degrees C or something?). Sticking them onto boilers and stuff, I dunno if it'd work very well, because boilers output steam at a lower temperature.

Where can I go to get a ratio flowchart tool for Factorio 0.15? I am just starting my main bus and I wanna get my ratios right. Last time, I started using Foreman after my entire bus system was set up and it made me have to tear everything down and start from the beginning cause my ratios were awful.

Yeah, I think the blog specifically stated that. Both produce steam, but using a turbine on a boiler means it works at a low enough efficiency you lose power (because turbines are tuned for nuclear steam) and if you use a steam engine on a nuclear reactor's output you're just throwing steam away.

Speaking of uranium/nuclear power: the amount of uranium on the goon island mapshare with default settings is obscene. In addition to the 56K on the island there's like 4 MILLION more uranium in various easily reached deposits east, west or south.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Finally built my first uranium mine/centrifuge setup. I love how the whole thing looks like something out of Fallout with the gentle green glow over the ore, and the far stronger green glow around the centrifuges.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hahahaha, holy poo poo Nuclear is amazing. Finally got around to setting a reactor up. I'm still hand-feeding it, and don't ahve a second one going, but it seems 1 reactor = 4 heat exchangers before adjacency bonuses (that much I knew) and, much to my surprise, 1 heat exchanger = 4 turbines.

One reactor has comically dwarfed the output of my entire 15 boiler setup in output without trying.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Does nuclear fuel not burn the same as coal? ie it pauses when no power usage is required, or slowly burns when there's a small energy demand? What's the point in only getting your nuclear station online at certain times when it doesn't actually save fuel?

From what I can tell, the fuel burns at a constant rate no matter what and produces a certain amount of "heat". If you run at 4 or less heat exchangers (discarding reactor adjacency bonuses) the reactor and any attached exchangers max out at 999.9 C, with the heat exchangers converting water into steam at max efficiency. If you run at less than the max exchangers/turbines you're basically wasting the heat that your fuel is producing. If you're running at more exchangers they're not running at full efficiency.

So the downside of nuclear is that you don't get the self-regulating fuel use that you get with normal steam. It's very much "always on" and burning the same amount of fuel unless you mix it with circuitry.

...Though I do wonder how much power use/# of heat exchangers does affect how fast a cold reactor loses temperature.

Anyways, I found a deposit large enough for 8 mines packed in tight (the one you get on the goon island map string if you go with default resources) was more than enough to fuel a single turbine without any refinement.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 29, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Retro42 posted:

Uranium fuel cells only start off feeling rare. After you get the reactor up to temp and humming along you should be finding more u235 than you are burning provided you run at least 3-4 centrifuges. Plus, with power no longer being a concern throw some modules on them as well.

Remember each piece of U235 turns into 10 cells @ 8Gj a piece. 80Gj per u235 vs 8Mj per piece of coal.

Of course, it takes 20 pieces of uranium, which each take 10 pieces of ore, to make 10 cells. So that's 200 ore/1 cell, discounting all the trash 238 you get before you reach Kovarex.

They're still hilariously powerful and that poo poo only sounds expensive until you get stuff up and running.

So the advantages/disadvantages for each power source are:
Steam:
+Cheap to set up (it's your first power)
+Easy to expand
+Fuel burn rate depends on power grid consumption
-requires nearby water and coal access
Solar:
+No "fuel" required
+No pollution
-Requires accumulators to fully power your base 24/7
-Requires a fuckton of space.
Nuclear:
+FUCKTON of power
+Gets more efficient with adjacent reactors
-Requires a lot of investment, technology and support network
-"Always on" burns fuel constantly

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 29, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Truga posted:

I love that it's called the Kovarex enrichment process.

Much like this loving crack game. It's 6am again. Good night.

Hey, the Dev designed the process, he gets to name it after himself :v: Besides, something like 90% of the playerbase won't realize "Kovarex" is the name of one of the devs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Baloogan posted:

.15 is loving fantastic

im gettin mah sperg on and i don't even need to jab angels and bobs into my veins

The new recipes for science past green do an amazing amount to add complexity to bases. Before it was basically "Eh, a fancier inserter and some red cards" for blue, now its "Red cards plus an engine plus an assembler" which adds a bunch of complexity to the process. Requiring "end" products, instead of just more middle-tier stuff, also acts as an amazing way for the devs to say "Hey, the game is about automating everything, not just circuits and gears."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

vOv posted:

Grenades have a pretty good radius and do over half of a tree's health.

No upgrade is three grenades/tree. But the first upgrade you reach the two grenade/tree threshold. And then I think around grenade damage 4 you oneshot them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Selklubber posted:

e: Radars are pretty good now, you can use them to monitor distant outposts from the map!

Yeah, my friend figured this out in multiplayer and for the longest time I didn't understand what he meant by them "giving sight". Then I realized I could zoom in on our iron mine and was all "WTF?"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

You need an absolutely stupid amount of iron in 0.15, which is honestly liberating compared to 0.14 where green chips were always slowing me down.

It's an excuse to get a rail system established asap, which is great because rails own, but mining outposts aren't too tough to set up so it's not a huge problem.

I'm sure once I start trying to get yellow tech going though that green chip siphon is going to come back to haunt me in a big way. 3 blue chips and a speed module for two yellow beakers :cry:

Yeah, in 0.14 and before it was "You need iron to start and build your infrastructure, but afterwards everything is increasingly circuit hungry."

In 0.15 it's "OH GOD, MORE, MORE, MORE IRON! WE NEED MORE IRON, MORE STEEL...oh, right, and of course circuits too." poo poo like building assemblers for blue science and gun turrets for military eats up iron, and purple/production devours steel for pumpjacks and electric furnaces.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

vOv posted:

I haven't gotten to purple/yellow science yet but it seems like it absolutely devours your raw resources.

Yeah, Purple (Production) Science takes a pumpjack (5 steel), an electric furnace (10 steel) and an electric engine (another steel) so each purple beaker takes 16 steel to make. Not to mention a whole lotta other stuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Is there any downside to bussing whatever the hell I want? Cause I didn't bus gears in my starter factory and it was a major pain in the rear end. Having to put gear assemblers where they were needed made my assembly stacks messy and annoying.

As long as what you're not bussing is wire. Everything else compacts down, so a bus is more space-efficient. Wire expands, so a bus wastes space.