Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I played the demo two days ago and bought the game 20 minutes later for the same reason: it takes my favorite parts of complex factory setups in modded Minecraft and the coolest parts of OpenTTD. The fact that it looks so much like the old Command and Conquer games is a huge plus too.

But it's so hard :negative:

I end up mining a ton of stuff by hand/getting destroyed by bugs because I'm too busy dithering over optimum design (or just trying to figure out how to make anything work, period) to actually get anything built in the first place.

But yeah, the aesthetic is gorgeous and it really scratches that spergy industrialcraft itch without being too taxing on my PC. I'll love it as soon as I can figure out why these loving boilers aren't working! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sold! I didn't need that 10 euro anyway :10bux::byewhore:

Bhodi posted:

I keep wishing they'd hurry up and get on steam so I can buy and play it.

Normally I'm leery of steam alphas but this is already pretty fun, and it looks like they're committed to getting more actual game in there rather than just futzing around with flavour of the month features/items forever like he-who-shall-not-be-named :notch:

Carecat posted:

The mid 90s 2D look isn't a popular one.

Further proof that a majority of people are wrong about everything :colbert:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 5, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The fact that everything only produces as much as is needed and stops if there's nowhere for the output to go really simplifies things a lot. So long as your system a) can meet peak demand and b) backs up behind bottlenecks in a way that doesn't break everything (especially for conveyors) you should be golden.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KillHour posted:

I usually just put the furnace directly in front of the mining drill.

Electric mines output faster than stone furnaces can process, FYI.

Gotdammy posted:

those of you who want to be space-efficient and not brain-bend yourself running belts everywhere

aka cheaters :colbert:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 6, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That... would explain what that blue square in alt view is. Huh.

To be fair the game doesn't make that super clear, since the setup it gives you in new hope has everything cheek by jowl.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Buried under production optimisation flowcharts and the half finished bones of a resource calculator program, please send help :gonk:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Evilreaver posted:

E: You know what's a dick move? The end of the campaign, "Make an airplane. Made it? Good, game over! No, you don't get to fly it." :byodood:

Really all of the campaign missions could do with allowing you to continue to play after you've achieved the objective, it'd be a nice environment for tweaking mostly complete designs.

Gotdammy posted:

I don't really have a good picture of a complete setup but I activated my crappy editing skills to make a thing:

There are variants you can do, but the idea is to have one central belt system with only one resource per belt, and then split off new factories to one side. That way if you need more of a resource, you just pop another fab on the right branch, extend a few belts, and you get more stuff.

Easiest spacing for fabbers with this bus system (I think) looks like this:

Keeps the power cables neat, at least. You could probably double up items on the main bus conveyors by faffing around with smart inserters at the base of the branches to take out what you want before sending the rest back.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 7, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finally figured out a red/green setup for new hope that I'm mostly happy with:

The main snag is I don't have nearly enough iron, especially with the secondary objective, but oh well :buddy:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

s1ppycup posted:

I'm probably guilty of this as well. I considered jumping straight into a save with a large base already humming along, and in retrospect I sort of wish I had. I think for future videos I'm going to keep recording paused the majority of the time, and only resume when I've reached a milestone or need to talk about what I'm working towards. As a viewer, is that something like what you're looking for?

Yes. Watching another kid play with lego is boring as hell, but I'd still like to see the end product and enough of the in-between bits to get a sense of how it all fits together. Imagine having to watch someone build this thing in real time, except you're not allowed to help and they refuse to tell you when you should come back if you want to see the good bits.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh my god you can manually drive the trains :swoon: GOTY2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fingers crossed that's part of the "factory noises" we're getting in 0.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw

Gotdammy posted:

Don't forget that the rail signals actually* work like real rail signals do. Train sperg taim! :swoon:

* - more or less.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out rail automation actually, I got one to move to a station once and then it stopped forever because it turns out that although locomotives can be manually run backwards, they won't do this automatically (and also the reverse gear sucks), so either your track route must form a loop, or you must have a second locomotive on the opposite end of the train
:qqsay:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 9, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A line with looped ends is fundamentally identical to a circle :colbert:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Looks like a closed loop to me :dijkstrasay:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Evilreaver posted:

Alright, next question, the only way to get artifacts/purple science is by killing alien bases, yea? All the bases around have worms that kill me dead and none of my weapons (upgraded as high as non-artifact weapons go) hurt them at all. I suppose it comes down to which of the Rocket Launcher or Flamethrower is worth getting.

E: Probably the rocket launcher just to have the infrastructure for the rocket defense later

Walk turrets towards them. So like, plonk down half a dozen turrets and load them up, then stand next to them and place six more as far out as you can, remove the first ones, rinse and repeat. It's a bit tedious without blueprints, but it's the safest way to advance on biter spawners without heavy weapons (PS the rocket launcher isn't actually all that great anyway, because you can only use one at once :v:)

If that sounds boring, you'll do better building a shitload of defender capsules, getting in your car, and doing donuts in the general area you want to hit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Unfortunately no. There's only one kind of locomotive and one kind of cargo carriage right now, but with the target release date over a year away I'm sure they'll find time to diversify things a bit before then. (and if they don't it'll be because they've been busy turning this thing from a sandbox into an actual game; this order of priority is one of my favourite things about these guys)

Rapner posted:

This train mission really needs to have the gather amounts lowered. They're out by like a factor of 10.

It's fine so long as you actually repair the railway to bring iron/copper from the existing mines. Total requirements just to meet the target are 17k Copper and 25k Iron, which the the train can bring back in about 9 and 13 trips respectively provided you fix everything up completely. The actual problem is that the prompts don't push you into doing this hard enough, and don't give any instruction at all on how to go about it.

PS you'll burn through 2500 magazines fast enough on the next level :jihad:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Aaag, why is the power monitor so hard to read? I can never tell when I'm overcapacity or falling short.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is anyone else getting a thing where ore estimates will sometimes read like "4.2G" instead of "4.2k"? I can't tell if it's supposed to mean something or just a weird bug :iiam:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Liquid tank rolling stock would really help out with that :pray:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yes, you get to gently caress around with oil in the next one.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mirarant posted:

4,2 giga units perhaps?

It's definitely an error:

e/ I demolished the thing to take a better look, and the one patch of coal under it said -2550. Mining it yields coal and makes the negative number bigger :shepface:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 13, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Banemaster posted:

Most likely a integer overflow.

Almost certainly, since a 32 bit unsigned int has a maximum value of a little less than 4.3 billion, which would explain 4.3G (the reason my screenshot says 8.6G is because there are actually two broken squares under there).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

metasynthetic posted:

am I missing out on anything worthwhile in the campaign?

Not really, it's noticeably unfinished at this point; the tips are very sparse, and the whole thing stops only halfway into the research tree.

Speaking of which, someone on their forums threw this neat little tool together - click the icons and it tells you what all you need researched to be able to build/unlock a particular item/research. It's especially useful for a lot of the middle stuff since weird codependencies mean there's things you can unlock for construction before you've researched something else that's one of the required ingredients :downsgun:

The devs have noted that the ingame tech tree is bad though, so I've got hope this won't be necessary forever.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 13, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Hagop posted:

Research high tension wires then go for the train techs.

You can actually leave pylon research until a bit later, if you cannibalise what remains of the south line to repair the north. Just helps get things rolling a little quicker.

Stevefin posted:

So I decided to pick this game up as it looked pretty cool. however

What am I doing wrong? the mine won't mine cause the steam engine is not making steam, and the boilers won't boil even though they have water and I have dumped coal in

Your miner is facing the wrong way. See that orange blob at the top? That's the output. It mined one lump of coal and then stopped because nothing carried it away. Just hover your cursor over the miner and tap R twice, that'll turn it around so it's lined up with your belt.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Breetai posted:

I'm on the level where you have to build the plane, and I'm getting my poo poo pushed in by Big Biters. Even armour piercing rounds have little effect, and I just used up my last rockets on a wave that had 5 big, several mediums and a few smalls.

What's my best strategy for survival?

In the woods to the southeast and northwest there are crashed ships containing a bunch of laser turrets and explosives. Those should do you until you can research laser turrets to build more. The southern one is undefended, but the northern one is behind a bunch of worms, so watch out. Also don't forget to be building your walls at least three blocks deep, since big biters can damage things over the top of single walls.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Breetai posted:

Oooh! Are the Laser Turrets significantly better at killing heavily-armoured enemies than armour-piercing rounds then?

Very much so, yes.

quote:

I can develop a perimeter, but I suppose after a while the power you need to fuel them will start attracting more biters through pollution.

Not really. They get power priority but only draw when they're firing, so as long as your system can supply around 12MW for 10-20 seconds it's all gravy. More turrets will draw more power, obviously, but won't have to fire for as long to kill any given group of biters; in fact more turrets should actually use less energy, since the big biters have quite rapid health regeneration, so the quicker you can overwhelm that the faster they'll die.

e/ The accumulator bank that level starts you off with can supply a maximum of 8.1MW for a little over 16 seconds, so yeah.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's especially true for cable because not only do they craft fast, but you get two for every one copper plate. If you don't have at least two extractors for every inserter I don't know what to tell you (other than to make that happen, obviously; also the opposite thing for gears since they take two plates to every one gear)

Unless you're making a lot of express belts, two gear factories should be plenty to keep you supplied, provided you can fully meet their demand for iron (which I've never quite been able to by the way, considering you also need a ton for steel and pipes and belts and research packs and and and and)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 15, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just started messing around with red/green wires and smart inserters, this poo poo be fun yo. Having my science assemblers automatically shut down when I've worked up a buffer of ~1000 so that I don't have a bus belt full of worthless beakers behind a clogged up chest is most excellent.

It should even work with multiple chest setups to maintain high throughput, since the item count is based on how many are in the network, not how many are in one particular chest (I am explaining this badly, screenshots tomorrow)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Everybody seems to be using waaay too many science assemblers for the number of labs they have, two each of red and green will happily feed anything up to 10 labs. Assuming you're using basic assemblers, your production rate should be around 12 and 10/minute respectively, and after the first few easy researches everything takes either 30 or 60 seconds to complete, so if you're using buffer chests as well to compensate for the faster/hungrier ones your line should have no trouble keeping up)

e/ vv I keep forgetting lab efficiency upgrades are a thing :shobon:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 17, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rapacity posted:

Does anyone else think it's odd that there are no switches in this game? I wish I could switch sections off the factory off at certain times but I can't think of a way of doing that without manually removing things or turning them the wrong way.

There are no manual switches, but if you can think of a way to tie your desired behaviour to the production of a particular number of a certain item, it's fairly easy to set it up so that production stops and starts automatically.

My current set up uses this to maintain a buffer of 1000 science packs in a single chest without the belts between it and the assemblers needing to be backed up:

You make a network out of smart chests, smart inserters, and red/green wire (manually strung between any power poles; it's easiest to use existing power poles mainly, but you can see I've put down a few just for the logic network by removing the wires (shift+click) to keep things uncluttered). The total number of all items in the all smart chests connected to a particular network are broadcast throughout that network, allowing you to set conditions for the inserters like this:

This says "this inserter will operate (handling any object) only if there are fewer than 1000 red science packs in this logic network". If the chest in the top image has 1000 or more red science in it, this inserter won't run (this one is the input on one of my red science assemblers). This is an easy one, other things will take a bit of brain bending to figure out, like the set up for turning off steam engines at night if your accumulators are charged.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Spot the difference!

Isometric view mapped to perfectly square grid = geometric fuckery: a train of two carriages is one square longer when horizontal compared to when it's vertical (also the station marker (not pictured in the vertical shot for reasons) needs to be one step, i.e. two squares, closer) :gonk:

Supplementary pet peeves re. trains: tracks and stops can only be placed on even-numbered tiles. This makes laying track a little easier, but means you have to put down stations before you spend 10 minutes constructing your loading bay, lest the whole thing be one square away from where it needs to be. And the carriages aren't even a whole number of squares long! All I want to do is be able to have a consistent scalable station design. :(

tl;dr: :spergin: games are a double-edged sword

e/ Don't let this post leave you with the impression that I'm not having a blast with my shiny new train set though :toot:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 18, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Can't really say without a picture :shrug: it sounds like you're not making any power at all though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's what signals are for, yeah. It's basically an automatic blocking system. There's a wiki page describing how they work, but it's kind of a mess of :words:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That was it, yeah. I reported it in the forum a few days ago, it's fixed for the next update.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was about to come in and be all :goonsay: about how obviously rail will be more material efficient over long distances, but it's actually not.

Material for one pair of underground pipes: 15 iron. Distance spanned: 11. Iron per square: 1.364
Material for two rail segments: 5.5 iron (and 1 stone). Distance spanned: 4. Iron per square: 1.375

That's before even accounting for the creation and running cost of locomotives, and the fact that overground pipes are even cheaper (1 iron/1 square). :goleft:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 20, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hmm, true that.

PS signals are a humongous pain in the rear end and really just loving awfully documented. I'm trying to nail down how they work so I can get the wiki edited with something that isn't a well-meaning but poorly worded electric train set analogy.

Mostly it's annoying because I can make them work, but I still don't get exactly why they work or why certain things are necessary to do, which makes the whole thing seem extremely capricious.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Can't wait until we get those worldgen keys in 0.10, a lot of people seem to be getting really cool map scenarios and it bugs me that there's no real way for me to get at them :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What settings did you use for that :stare:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Accumulators. They can seem pretty expensive at first, since getting battery production going takes quite a bit of effort, but after that you'll be laughing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gotdammy posted:

Which is kind of sad, really. There ought to be tanker cars for trains and forget barrels entirely.

Developer Roadmap posted:

Factorio 0.12
  • Working Multiplayer.
  • Oil extension (boiler for oil, oil wagon).
  • Fight revisit (balancing, tank, more enemies variety, ...)
  • Proper tech tree.

:neckbeard:

They're spending most of 0.11 sussing out multiplayer though, so I'm expecting this to take a while. Still, yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Evilreaver posted:

Has anyone been following development prior to this thread? How long do they take between patches, how soon is multiplayer? :f5:

This time last year they were on 0.4.1/0.5, and updates have been fairly frequent if somewhat irregular since then. The recent publicity push and their graphics man being on [sort-of] holiday are slowing things down at the minute.