Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Ugh. I want all of the 2.0 stuff now. I just started setting up a megabase situation and got a few blocks of it done before I discovered I fundamentally hosed up how I designed my rail system, which means I probably need to tear it all down and start again, which is enough to make me not want to play anymore until the update. I wish I were smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Can somebody help me sanity check this city block / train intersection design? I'm not sure I understand rail signals and chain signals properly - like, I have the gist of chain signals at intersections and rail signals at exits, but I'm having trouble getting trains running through intersections simultaneously when they're not blocking one another. Things are slowing down / stopping when it looks like they've got a clear path through.

https://factoriobin.com/post/KGmzLins

My city grid spacing is mostly based on 3 roboports, so I think 150 x 150 tiles, though I have also got a sort of maintenance/refuelling narrow block that I want to run through the middle of things while I build, which is basically just the same outer corners but moved closer based on the roboport spacing:

I'm using 1-4-1 trains for everything, and with that length there's room for 2 stations on each side of the block, though I might not use every station location.

How can I signal these intersections better?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Jabor posted:

If you grab a train signal and stand next to the intersection, you can see how the existing signals divide up the rails into blocks.

This sort of area is a problem:

Because it's all one block, a train on the inner loop ends up conflicting with every other train traversing that same arc - what you'd need to do is place a chain signal before the crossover point to the south line, so that trains only on the inner loop only need to reserve the inner loop and the not the crossover - and similarly on the middle track, you'd want a chain signal before each merge or crossover so that the blocks only cover the paths that the train actually takes. But as you can see, there's no room to place those signals - the only way to fix it is to make the intersection bigger.

Well, poo poo. I was afraid of that - I'm going to have to see if I can come up with an arrangement that can let me isolate that without changing the overall outline of things because I've got a bunch of infrastructure blueprints I've worked out inside this general boundary already that I'd hate to also change.

Xerol posted:

Since you have mid-block lane swaps available, is there a reason to have paths for trains to change lanes mid-intersection? I think you could cut down on complexity significantly by having the outer lanes only able to make right turns. Only other way I could think of getting the room to fix the intersection in general would be to move the stations back, and I'm not sure if you have room in your system for that.

Limiting the trains to only right turns feels like it'd be a net loss in throughput, no? I know the trains can run at higher top speeds if they're doing the only-right-turns approach, but the trade-off is a lot of extra running around before arriving at the destination and that seems just as bad as having the trains slow down during crossovers.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Does anyone have a non-gigantic 4-lane balancer that also includes a 90 degree turn? I keep doing this:

... but it feels like there's absolutely a more space-efficient way to do this.

Edit: I think this does it?

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 4, 2024

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Can someone explain fluid balancing from trains to me? I have looked at a few blueprints and some of them describe the process as balanced unloading, and I am confused - surely if the pumps are unloading a train into tanks, and the tanks are connected, the tanks will self-balance? But I'm seeing these wildly complex circuit systems that seem to be managing or controlling pumps to establish balance.

Like, in a test platform this seems to be working just fine?

Am I missing something fundamental about this?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Darox posted:

If you're using a dozen pumps and tanks in an amalgam like that then there's no benefit. If you're using a 1 or 2 wagon train it doesn't matter. If you're using 4+ wagon trains with a compact design then you need some basic circuits to stop the system being dumb when a train is loading because otherwise as the outer tanks are drained the pumps will start stealing from the inner tanks to fill them and not fill the train fully.

That's what a fluid balanced station is and why you'd want it. Directly pumping to/from tanks is also a lot faster than trying to pump into pipes and waiting for fluid spread.

e: the same is true in reverse, for unloading if you don't balance it the outer tanks start pushing into the inner tanks and block the train from unloading fully, significantly slowing down the unloading speed.

I assumed the setup I had was sensible if only because I thought loading and unloading with a pump directly from a tank would be the most effective, but I'm curious about testing the differences now. Can you share a blueprint for this arrangement? I can copy it visually but I'm not sure how the combinators are set up.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

M_Gargantua posted:

Ok going to post some stuff about fluid stations to simplify your lives.

Thank you very much for this. I’m gonna have to figure out how to make this work with Cybersyn since I’m using that to dispatch all my trains, but I think as long as I can isolate the signal for the quantities in the trains to a wire I’ll be in business.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Now that I have been able to solve my fluid loading and unloading station issues thanks to the thread I am looking at making a big block of production for plastics. Does this kind of thing make sense?

It seems like my limiting factors are that the plastic output belt is getting saturated, and it can be tricky to ensure that fluids (petroleum) make it all the way down to the end of the line in consistent enough quantities, but this arrangement seems to be giving me pretty stable output if I give it saturated input, so I'm assuming I could probably just stamp this down a couple of times to increase the overall plastic output.

I'm mostly asking because until very recently I didn't understand the benefits of doing on-site production for things like copper wire, etc. and was shipping it in from other sites, and I want to make sure I am not doing something equally dumb here.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

VictualSquid posted:

The only actually not optimal thing here is not using beacons and modules.

I'm doing a slow-rear end Space Exploration run and haven't unlocked them yet, and I'm sure as soon as I do I will have to redesign everything. :hmmyes:

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I have been using 2-4 trains so far for my pending city block design but I’m playing Space Exploration so my next step is Nauvis Orbit. I know I am probably a pretty good distance away from being able to do space elevator things, but I got to thinking how in orbit 1-1 trains probably make more sense. I know I can theoretically set up an unloading and reloading station to repack cargo wagons into other cargo wagons, but I was wondering - is there any way to have the locomotive engines actually do some kind of cargo wagon handoff? Disconnect a wagon of iron plates and have another engine pick it up, without unloading? If it exists, it is probably mod territory, but I’m curious what options exist along those lines. I’m sure it’s probably not even faster than unloading and reloading a wagon, but it feels like it would be fun to do regardless.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

necrotic posted:

There is a mod to disconnect and connect to rolling stock! The core game has a hotkey for it (v by default iirc).

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Automatic_Coupling_System

Never used it so can’t speak to how well it works.

Hell yeah, I’ll need to check this out. My perfect world would be combining this with the mod that lets trains go off ramps and jumps so your could do a handoff between engines at speed.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I have a question - it feels like there's a smart solution to my problem but I might not have enough experience with the game to recognize it yet.

I have a red circuit assembly block that needs to have a split lane of green circuits and plastic fed together into it on 6 red belts.

The blue belts here denote where I need to feed those plastic/green circuit lines in.

I'm trying to find a solution that takes these 8 input belts and does that in a non-insane-spaghetti fashion. My current thought is that maybe I could use cargo wagons? One at the head of each set of 3 lanes, and just feed belts into those with filtered/reserved slots, let the wagon do the 'balancing' for me, and then pull the materials out onto belts from the wagons with inserters in a way that keeps the copper and plastic each to a side?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Filthy Lucre posted:

Instead of bringing the materials to the center, send them to their respective sides. So plastic would go towards the left side of your screen shot and green circuits to the right.

Then build a 4 to 6 balancer vertically on each side.

Run the unloaded material into the vertical balancer and make a 90 degree turn towards your factories. Run the plastic left to right and the green circuits right to left, side loading each onto the blue belt.

Thanks for this, it makes things much more reasonable than what I otherwise had in mind.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

M_Gargantua posted:

Well, just to give you an alternative, this is what that looks like with Warehousing + Loader Redux

This is absolutely just my personal opinion, but
I accept the warehousing mod and reject the loaders. I meet the loaders halfway and use Bob’s Adjustable Inserters instead.

To me, a big part of Factorio is enjoying the spatial puzzle of moving things around. Inserters are foundational to that puzzle to me. Loaders feel like they make it too boring. Same thing goes for that Advanced Fluid Handling mod that just lets you link up pipes in whatever directions underground.

I haven’t been sure if the warehouses actually served as effective balancers or not because that would partly hinge on arm swing distance with Inserters. I also wasn’t sure what the performance hit would be like using one of those in place of where I have belt balancers on a megabase scale. I’m sure using it with loaders would be more UPS friendly.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

The new belt changes means there has to be improvements to train capacity coming too, right? Because otherwise it feels like this is going it outstrip train usage.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Ah, clearly that’s why we got elevated rails, so we can stack them.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I'm slowly trying to level up my factory designs and I've discovered I really like how Space Exploration handles beacons and modules. Any areas where there are machines being hit by more than one beacon causes that machine to jam up, so you have to actually think about how to maximize your beacon effectiveness versus just dogpiling as many beacons around your production lines as possible. I have been finding it really enjoyable to try and compact my production lines down around beacons as much as possible with Bob's Adjustable Inserters.

I know space is basically unlimited, but I'm building within the parameters of city blocks I've designed so part of the fun for me is trying to build these out as compact as possible. I only have red belts unlocked because I haven't even gone to space yet in my SE run, so I'm sure I'll have to revisit some of these designs later with improvements, but I'm probably gonna enjoy that as well.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

celestial teapot posted:

By the way, one green inserter can fully compress half of a red belt all by itself, if you have it unloading directly onto a splitter!

gently caress, I have a few designs I have to go back and poke at with this approach in mind now, this is so much easier. I thought I was a genius when I rigged this up:

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I am by no means an expert and I have seen people go way bigger than this, but I have been working around a city block size that uses roboport spacing as its foundation. 3 Roboports for interior coverage, plus on the corners. I use the roboports to help align my block placement. I like this because it's just enough that I can see the whole block on my screen.

My baby base is in the top left but I started laying out blocks before I went into space (doing Space Exploration this run) so that I'd have a good base to operate from. Everything's serviced by 1-4-1 trains (both engines facing the same direction, though) and I made little maintenance corridors so they could pull out of the main thoroughfare and refuel/wait for dispatch. Haven't noticed much congestion on my 4-way intersections, too, though that may get worse as I continue scaling up.

If I really had my head on straight I'd have grouped my blocks up a bit better by product, but oh well. I can make XL blocks like what's on the right side with a little bit of adjustment, which I imagine will be where I drop most of my rocket launching and landing pad stuff.

My in-progress blueprint book, if you want to see:

https://factoriobin.com/post/KXavg9cx

The early designs suck but I'm understanding how to do things better as I go. Once I get blue belts and beacons I'll probably go back and remake a bunch of stuff like the green circuit production blocks. I really like my nuclear block - was able to design it with a big bank of auxiliary steam storage that I can flip a switch on if I need more power, like when I have to defend Nauvis from a Coronal Mass Ejection.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Bhodi posted:

factorissimo's gain when it comes to organization and reduced travel time / factory size is heavily offset by having to manage the input/outputs and space constraints which can get surprisingly tricky. Some might think of it as a bit cheaty but if you get deep into using them you'll find they have their own logistical challenges, where an entire chain won't fit in a single one so you then need to decide how to separate them, and then route the belts and pipes properly. It's absolutely a tradeoff most of the time, not even considering the research and materials to make the factorissimo building itself.

I have also been one of those people who felt factorissimo was a little too cheaty, but if I'm being honest, hearing you frame it this way is making me reconsider. I basically already forced myself into the exact same logistical challenges by working with city blocks, so why would this be all that much different? I might explore using it on my next playthrough.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I went from not understanding circuits last week to creating my own fully automated cargo rocket system in Space Exploration today.

I'm definitely going to give an Ultracube run a go after I'm done conquering space.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Arrath posted:

I'm assuming that's your actual framerate and not some artifact of giffing it.

I am playing on a laptop but so far I'm still at 60FPS/60UPS. I'm sure once I start adding other planets/surfaces things are going to go to poo poo, but I have to say I'm pretty stunned by how well optimized this whole game seems to be.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

SettingSun posted:

I am extremely interested in how much of SE they're going to bring into the expansion. A fair amount it seems from just the pre-release material, but they must be tossing out some of the groggiest stuff.

I'm hoping it's a bit more of a streamlined take on SE. There are weirdly arbitrary things about SE that feel like they are designed as they are just to make your life harder for no reason - like being able to get all kinds of circuit control over rocket launches, but none over delivery cannons directly (and instead having to control arms/belts around them).

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Can the engine support actual moving platforms with working constructs on top of them? Or is the space platform thing more of a background-is-animated-as moving thing, I wonder. I want an alien planet made of shifting 32x32 chunk tiles that you can’t control but can build on, so that you have to position your inputs and outputs strategically to take advantage of when things line up

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I want this badly now.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

M_Gargantua posted:

So the Factorio surfaces aren't infinite, you'd have to do the thing where the background is scrolling and it just appears that you're moving.

I'm thinking thematically i'd have to be something like a deep space generation ship, rather than a terrestrial train? Like I know enough LUA to make this happen, and can mockup stuff in Solidworks to export to blender and render, but would need to figure out the render options to make things look correct but i'm sure there are plenty of tutorials on the forums. There is no reason you can't make it land based, but like snow piercer it just seems weird to keep a linear train in motion for decades at a time, (or in movie/game runtime lengths at least)

Your goal would be to make things to feed fuel into the engine, in the front car. And build things to upgrade the engine. You'd be able to place more cars, factorisimo style, further and further to the left. Whatever happens inside the car 'surface' would be reflected in the top level map, same as factorisimo, but you're always "inside" the vehicle from the start.

Maybe unlike real factorio there is an actual lose condition - if you don't keep up enough speed whatever is chasing you starts destroying your rear most carriage and working its way up the train. That could easily result in a failure spiral, but also losing carriages would speed you up again so maybe theres a good way to balance it.

I love a lot of this concept.

The seed of the idea for me was seeing the recent update they did of the alien artifact-laden planet and then thinking in the shower about other planetary 'types' that could be added by future mods. It felt like if there was a planet of alien artifacts then maybe you'd find something like an alien 'forgeworld', which led me to the idea of a planet made of moving platforms that took 32x32 blocks and turned them into a sort of sliding block puzzle. They'd move in patterns you could plan around, and would 'pause' for a period of time before moving again. Some would have resources on them, and you'd have to position inputs and outputs in a strategically 'fixed' way to take advantage of those paused moments to circulate material or resources across the plates. I haven't actually played Ultracube yet but I imagine it's probably a similar puzzle vibe where you're trying to manage a solution in a moment-to-moment fashion.

I realize most of that is probably not something the Factorio engine can support, so the take of doing this Factorissimo-esque on a train or deep-space generation ship is also great. Personally, I like the train take better because it's Factorio. Maybe it's something like this idea in Riddick, where it's an equatorial super-rail on a planet that has an absolutely insane day/night line that incinerates or freezes the planet respectively, and you ride the 'sweet spot' around the planet while building resource harvesters you can drop in specific places that take advantage of the weird planetary properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I’ve been playing an SE run on my laptop and I’m on my fifth or so planetary surface and starting to see real hits to my UPS. I may have to stow the game until 2.0 because it feels like I’m a fifth of the way into the endgame science and definitely going to run out of computing power before I get anywhere near it. I guess the only other alternative would be to buy and set up a server so the computational stuff is offloaded onto more meaningful hardware but I have no idea how to begin with that.