Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
This game. If it had come out when I was 11-14 it would have changed my life trajectory. As it is, it's made this dark month a lot more compulsively interesting, and is helping me quit smoking because it is the stronger addiction now.

I've launched rockets in two games (with biters turned down and resources turned up) so far, the second was a Lazy Bastard run and I thought that was really fun—with a bit of tweaking I could probably get it to launch a rocket every 5 minutes or less, but I like to move on.

In my current game I focused on Getting on Track like a Pro with default map settings. Got worried an hour in, because Logistics 2 takes so long to research, so I had to double my labs and research manufacturing and handload half of them while fighting off the occasional biter swarm.

Got the achievement with a bit over 3 minutes to spare, at the cost of any sort of optimization in the base which is still creating problems for me even after automating up to blue science and getting a couple of supply outposts going. It felt like I squeaked by but it was a really fun way to start.

Biters are hardcore if they smell you while you're still defenceless. I had to abandon one game where I started in a desert, between 3 nests, and the pollution cloud from just 6 burner miner/furnace combos triggered 2 of them, so I was caught in a war of attrition where the biters quickly overwhelmed my SMG, then my measly turrets, and I didn't have enough automation set up to keep up with the pressure and material losses, and not enough time to dedicate to automation versus defense, or any research at all, and eventually died, fish in hand, trying to kill a tiny 2 worm/2 spawner base with the SMG as my backup turret ran out of ammo. I'm sure I could've prevailed but the game is just a biiit too clunky for me to easily balance production, defense, and offense at 30 minutes.

Nightvision is a crutch. I finished my first two games without nightvision, my second without lights. Just chill at night, or stumble into things.

Tried to get my friends to buy in for MP but they're not biting. Anyway, cool thread thanks for all the content and screenshots of the ugly old days, I'm back to my hyper-compulsive factory game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
I got into Krastorio 2 recently and it's really good and 'complete' so far. More complex recipes, lots of intermediates, and more management overall to build and power the cool stuff. I've managed so far with vanilla trains and haven't even botted up yet. Krastorio adds so many items the menu gets a little crazy (it took me 5 minutes to filter rare metals because I couldn't find them among the 50+ other icons), but it's worth it and makes vanilla highly refreshing by comparison.

Plus I learned that I'll probably never be interested in the more eccentric/detailed mods, Krastorio 2 is a good amount of plate spinning for me. I was thinking I'd try out Space Exploration but probably will pass on that unless I get really desperate.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Finished my 'No time for chitchat' run last night on a default settings map. At 5 hours in my run I thought maybe I could do 'There is no spoon', by 7 hours I was setting up a rail system to get more resources and knew it was not going to happen. It was all messy, incredibly messy, with panicked spaghetti erupting everywhere, and RCUs were a major bottleneck, but I managed with about 3 hours to spare as biter attacks started to ramp up.

Thinking about trying to beat 8 hours next, but it would take a lot more practice than I want to devote. Purple/yellow science are such a pain to set up, let alone the rocket.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

Mr. Peepers posted:

I've finished my Lazy Bastards run (and picked up the no logistics achievement entirely incidentally on the way) and I'm trying to decide if my next game is going to be a death world or Krastorio 2, or if I'm going to be ambitious and try both at the same time. How challenging would it be going into K2 blind and not get totally obliterated at some point?

If anything it might be easier, though the start is a little slower, tech-wise, for a bit. Once you get rolling you'll have more options for biter deterrance and even being stealthy (via massive wood farms and even pollution scrubbers, if you want more management and design problems—you can even plant forests if you want to tank your UPS).

Xerophyte posted:

If you want then you can make the speedrun achievements a lot easier on yourself by disabling pollution and biter expansion, maxing resource richness and making your starting area as large as possible. The only worldgen setting that disables those achievements is lowering enemy base frequency and richness. I never even saw a biter on my There Is No Spoon run.

This is the base I ended up with when I did it.

Bots, of course!. Hand constructing advanced oil (separate from simple oil for some reason), and later balancing the output and cracking, took me at least an hour.

Good advice, I will definitely set pollution diffusion to 0% if not disabling it, same for biter expansion. I'll also enable research queuing because gently caress opening that menu all the time and forgetting what I was running back to the mall for. Before the attempt I'll have to work on my early game. I can get to blue science fairly easily, but after that everything slows down.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

I'm the delightfully lonely blue chip assembler. That is a very well-ordered setup though. Full points.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
You have to power up one galactic transceiver (?) and surprise made me laugh out loud and shake my head.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
The orchestral score is the most dubious I've been about additions for the expansion. It's just puzzling to me. It's not bad, but I just like the ambient scoring that is currently in the game, and even just a set of more tracks along those lines was what I was hoping for. I dunno, there's something about the soundtrack as it exists that is just formless enough that I don't get sick of it (and sonically so fitting for the subject matter of the game), maybe they can preserve that with far more structured arrangements and a full orchestral score but then that's a huge waste of time, talent, and energy... nevertheless: cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
In a moment of weakness I installed Industrial Revolution 3 and started playing Factorio again instead of waiting for the expansion like a good person, sound of mind would do. I'm glad I saved it until after K2, and it's got fantastic assets and seems really cool but clawing my way into automation, and then another 5 hours of messing around until electricity was definitely a bit painful.

Also it's been reminiscent of my very first Factorio game with all the spaghetti, the half-finished side projects and distractions which I am certain will reach alarming proportions by midgame, the handfeeding temporary builds much longer than I should, and general chicanery trying to figure out what's going on.