Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Harik posted:

Edit: Whoops, SALR added this to the wrong thread.

There's no way to prioritize energy sources, right? I want solar->battery->steam, but it goes solar->steam->no battery because steam is online. In the end I just went with 12 GW of solar and a gigantic battery base that trivially lasts all night.
No, the only thing you can currently do is build a crude battery level measurement which turns on the steam a certain amount of charge is exhausted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I do like electric furnaces because with them I don't have to carry coal everywhere.

With my latest factory I even went with just iron, copper and plastic on my main lines. When I need steel, I just put in an electric furnace.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is it normal for biter nest clusters to be enormous with like 50-100 spawners?

How do you kill that? Flamethrowers and power armor?
No, that is not normal. Did that nest sit for hours in your pollution area?

The best way to kill large nests seems to be power armor and armor piercing auto shotgun.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

What do people think of the newly increased base price for alpha access? I just wrote up a description of the game (which I love) for another forum, and slightly stumbled when I saw that they had increased the price 50%.

Now... I've gotten a lot more playtime out of it than I have out of many $60 games that I've played to completion (SR4 being the most recent example), and a lot more than $30 early access games on Steam like Prison Architect, but still...

It feels like a "You must buy this, no questions asked" at 10, and a "I would still buy this for myself, but you need to try the demo first" at 15.
I think the increased price is OK. But only because they have a Demo. I would buy a 10 Euro game based on a cool concepts and some vague recommendations, but not a 15 Euro game.

Though maybe I am wrong person to ask, as I bought the 50 Euro luxury package of Factorio.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Both bottom belts will have the same resource, but at different rates, will this work to balance them so they're the same rate on each top belt?
Yes, it should. Splitters have some quirkiness but that only is a problem if you send through a small amount each of a large variance of items.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

What gives? What am I doing wrong?
I think you need to put one block of wood inside the chest.

Here is an old video explaining the trick:
http://youtu.be/OCgX_n150Xc?t=15m
I get distracted halfway through, the explanation resumes here:
http://youtu.be/OCgX_n150Xc?t=26m40s

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Unfortunately, I've yet to stress the the system, to see if the main network would even have enough power to shift coal into the boilers and fire up the steam engines once the accumulator runs down. I went a tad overboard with accumulator blueprints.
Just add a lot of lamps to the isolated circuit if you want a stress test.
If you have lots of accumulators outside you will probably even want several accumulators for the coupling, otherwise your steam engines will turn on too fast.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

khy posted:

When do I stop using boilers and steam engines for my electrical generation? Like what's the next step up?

Also do I ever get furnaces that operate using electricity instead of coal?
There are only two steps in generation. Steam and Solar power.

There are electric furnaces. They are even relatively early in the tech tree.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I recently remembered that there used to be a bee mod.
It just replaced the logistics bot's sprite with a bee.

I am trying to recreate this, but I suck at spriteing. Currently the mod uses a random bee sprite I found on google.
Is anybody interested in helping out? We could also change the bot's sound, if we find a suitable soundfile.

That kind of modding is relatively simple, you could just modify the files yourself too if you want:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9wbapwevxrx4o4/bees-0.1.zip

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Some small tips on base defense. I was just catching up the the LP and some people seemed confused about the efficiency of various defense systems.

1)Turrets without ammo are very weak. Even if you have bots repairing them. Biters will just chew through them. Don't build them unless you have a way to keep them full of ammo. Bots will not refill turrets with ammo directly.
2)Laser turrets are significantly weakened if they don't get enough power to fire at full speed. Fire speed upgrades do not make them stronger in this situation either.

On the other hand ignorance of those facts leads to people underestimating the power of fully functional defense systems. This tempts people into building things like 3 lines of laser turrets wasting all the power.

This kind of defense setup will stop even large biter attacks:

Note that there are 5 spaces between each laser, and one space between each normal turret.
If your turrets get damaged, which rarely happens anyways, you can just add another layer of wall.

Michaellaneous posted:

It would be awesome if you could get your hands on the SS13 bumblebee sprite becuase that is just the darndest little thing.
I never really played on goonstation, if you can post a picture maybe I can edit it to fit.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Those need a bit more work then I can provide:

vvvvv https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykvszgndy9fiqlu/bees-0.2.zip

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 15, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Sam. posted:

Is there a machine that automatically chops trees?
Constructor bots do this. Just use a deconstruction blueprint on the area you want cleaned.
The more low-tech way is a flamethrower.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

That's a mistake I made early on, I walled myself in and fortified myself to hell and back- then when it came to get rocket defense I had zero artifacts, no power armor, lousy drones, etc etc and breaking into enemy bases guarded by Big Biters and Worms was nearly impossible. That's where the LP is now and that's probably why nobody wants to take a turn anymore :sigh:

Get SMG+P and 100 artifacts asap, new players! That's enough to kit out later.
This happens to me almost every time. The best solution is actually to load your car full of armor pricing shotgun shells and drive until you can snipe some small bases.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

AP shotshells cost artifacts, nerd
E: to research
Well, normal shotshells then. I didn't remember them costing artifacts to research.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Everyone's first game is like this.
Coal will be your main power source for most of the game, for many players this is the first thing they automate.

I like building a simple factory until I produce green potions. Then once I started working with oil I build a second factory line that is nice and expandable.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I thought chain signals were pushed back into the next version also?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Fans posted:

Does anyone else use Circuit networks?

I've only just gotten into them and am finding it really useful for managing materials I don't need a whole lot of. I never really need more than 100 Grenades sitting about and a system that'll automatically keep it at that number is great.

Not managed to use the new Combinators for anything yet, but I'm sure I'll think of a reason to eventually.
I generally use logistics network conditions or chest limitations instead. I used to use them a lot, but their window of usefulness seems to shrink with every update.

The only circuits I used in my last factory where to drain the capacitors instead of turning on the engines at night.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Does that still work where putting a belt sideways onto an underground belt only puts one half of the belt onto the underground belt? I would have assumed that's one of the many things that went away when they redid belt mechanics, but maybe that was also an intentional design.
They explained somewhere on the forums, that they had to leave this behavior in, because it is the official workaround for a pretty popular feature request on their forums.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am currently building my base nice and distributed. With all balancing provided by trains. It makes it easy to expand production if I need more. I decided against maximizing belts per station, because it can easily lead to uneven unloading from different wagons in the same train.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

So you're shipping in copper and iron plates and shipping out green circuits? That's a neat idea. I thought the ratio for copper wire factory to green circuit factory is 2:3. Does that change to 1:1 when using modules/beacons?
Something like 9:10 with modules, yes. I don't remember the exact ratio.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Setting the stack size to one in the inserter interface sometimes works. I haven't tried that in 0.17 though, and it never was fully reliably.

With a few combinators you can read the train contents, invert them, substract them from a constant combinator signal, filter out the positive values and then use the resulting signal to set the inserter filter. Total of 4 combinators. You need to set the combinator to below the item stack size minus the inserter stack size.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Could you not use a circuit network to drop the inserter stack size only when the relevant slot is almost full? That wouldn’t need much precision, and it should do better than long inserter throughput at least.
This would only work if you only want to transfer one type of input. Otherwise you need ludicrously complicated logic.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

4 Belts of copper and iron each is pretty much the size of the starting ore patches, so it is ideal for the starting base.
Once you have trains and bots, you can copy your smelters and feed the whole new output into making circuits and steel. You probably have to do that if you want to get to space science without everything taking forever.

That gives you a comfy production base in which you can produce all the parts for the real factory which you build somewhere else.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, my train-focused factory is mostly prepared. Everything is setup so that I can easily expand every part, once I have checked for mistakes and bottlenecks.

I get researching at one blue belt of science, but production will still go down to something like 500/minute once buffers are exhausted.

Then I noticed that there is not enough power. Then I noticed that while I have enough reactor parts, I don't have enough buffers of landfill. When I expand my Stone processing plant, I notice that I need more stone mines. After I build those I see that a neglected part of the rail network is now overloaded.
A fairly unexpected chain of dependencies. Great fun.

At least I can finally plan the purple science plant while my landfill buffers up.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The Locator posted:

Probably a stupid question, but how does buffering landfill affect anything at all in your production chain? I've never run into this.
I had almost all parts I needed to upgrade my powerplant buffered up. Except for landfill, which takes forever to produce.
It shouldn't be in the normal production chain at all, which is why it was unexpected.

The powerplant is upgraded, funnily 220 reactors can be supplied by a single lonely nuclear fuel assembler. Despite being larger then the minimap.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1715165870

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 17, 2019

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The Locator posted:

That's quite a setup. Wouldn't it be a lot more efficient to have the reactors 2 wide though instead of a single line?

I just misunderstood what you meant about your buffering. I can see that you would need a LOT of landfill to make that monstrosity. I have two full chests of landfill buffered all the time, but I doubt it would be enough for that!

To get a long two wide row of reactors you need to do some fairly detailed landfilling. Because you have pumps on both sides of the reactor and land bridges for the heat pipes altenating with the pumps. Or running water antiparallel through the turbines, which narrows down the location even more. I don't consider it worth the effort with nuclear fuel being so cheap as it is.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 17, 2019

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

You can improve that by adding filtered inserters that take construction bots from the port that receives logistics bots (and vice versa) and puts them into (active) provider chests.
This will make sure the insertion of one type of bots isn't blocked by bots of the opposite type resting in the port. It also limits your maximum robot count to less then what fits into your ports.

If it is a low traffic network --like a support base-- you might limit the extracting inserters to only work if there are more then a few bots available, otherwise you get strange loops.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Does anyone follow the streamer rain9441? He's been working on a vanilla megabase for a while and among all streamers he makes the most powerful practical use of the logic system that I've found. Specifically his outposting system is pretty incredible. With one seed station blueprint it plops down some combinators and stops he can then place any blueprints he wants and they will auto summon specific trains with robots and materials for whatever he placed. So it could be a mining/melting setup, or an acid uranium mining, or an artillery outpost or whatever, no interaction required. It's very impressive.

Here's an overlong semi-comprehensible writeup for it: https://imgur.com/a/kgITiqe
I do watch his speedruns and use a similar but simpler base system.
You can get 90% of his functionality with 10% of the combinators.

I was trying to build a system similar to his a few versions ago, but when I restarted with the .17 release I decided to just use a simpler system.
Mostly because I dislike importing blueprints, even from my own old bases.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Greens, Reds and Blues.Two word descriptions are for casuals.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That is bad roundabout signaling. A train heading from west to west for an U-Turn won't stop at the bottom signal if a train is heading from east to north at the same time. If then there is a train heading north to south that one will halt at the western chain signal. And now you are gridlocked.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Reverend Dr posted:

The first part is wrong though. (I've heard this thing repeated often, its always been wrong)

Its always the signal before that determines whether or not a train has the possibility of stopping, because chain signals ensure that the train can pass completely through the bloc before its allowed to enter.

Its also the wrong way to think about train logistics. You don't create signals so that trains have a place to stop (this is stations), you create signals such that trains have to stop as little as possible.
This is wrong. Or rather it takes a large amount of effort to make your description true.
Chain signals let your train pass when the next upcoming signal is green. That only matches your description if the distance between your signals is always longer then your trains. For example in the pictures that were just posted the train length can never exceed a single locomotive without any wagons.

Your trains will stop. You can't avoid it. And if your network gridlocks to easily all your speed advantage will be gone quickly.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Reverend Dr posted:

Always make the distance between standard signals be able to hold a train, is some basic railroad advice (context, we are talking about a railroad tutorial).

You've missed the point entirely. "use a standard signal to make a train stop" is, despite something that has been repeated often, fundamentally wrong and should not be told to anyone trying to learn.

Trains stopped at a station (or a stacker, but hey context, we are talking basic railroad tutorial) are fine, but trains stopped at intersections is absolutely not *unavoidable* and when it happens
(which real world situations, it will often happen) can be engineered out.
We are talking about a specific railroad tutorial which suggests that trains should be only locomotives without wagons.

How do your intersections look like? I really can't imagine a junction that won't lead to a train stopping. For example if trains from two directions both want to continue towards the same direction at the same time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I tried industrial revolution and it felt strange.

The need for coal everywhere should be a fun challenge.
But then you have those millions of intermediate steps, which discourage early automation.

So I built a green science setup where only most of my assemblers and half of my inserters got coal delivered.
And I finished researching electricity before having to refill them. Even the first setup I built for automating belts, didn't run out of coal.

So despite the looks, the optimal strategy seem still to be hand-feeding until you got electricity setup.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I finally got around to finishing my "no-bots"* factory. One blue belt of science each, 2700 science per minute. The UPS drops below 30 and once the buffers are empty, my railsystem will probably collapse.

It was a fun challenge, much more interesting then any mod I have tried yet.

Trying to belt nuclear fuel for the trains can become quite hilarious. The bottleneck is actually not the production, because uranium is cheap. But cleaning up the trash from minor adjustments to the stations. You can quickly generate multiple trainloads of trash. Especially because my recycling moves the trash to the hub first. Then a different train moves the excessive raw materials to the various production facilities.

*No bots, means not logistics bots in the active parts of the factory. I use bot mining and a bot based make-everything hub and trash system.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Your setup looks entirely correct. The sprite will change once the belt has been placed.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Personally I like building distributed, expandable and train-focused factories.
I do like big well-planed efficient megafactories.

But then I see things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzQge6pe2o

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I personally think that the effort to plan and landscape out a 2xinfinity reactor is not worth it compared to a 1xinfinity reactor.
Especially as fuel is so incredibly cheap once you have processing setup correctly.

If you are sure you only need a smallish reactor then you can go 2x2 or 2x4 without much effort.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Why even bother with a 1xN when you'd do way better by just plopping discrete 2x4s wherever?
I can get a lot of power from building a single lake into a 1xN plant.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The 1x16 has the advantage that I can just expand it into a 1x32 or more without much planning.

My base started with a 1x2 or something, and now it has 1x222.
I couldn't think of a 2xinfinity pattern that didn't require annoyingly precise landfilling. And those 2x4 patterns seem to have less power per coastline then a 1xinfinity that I can plan using simple mental arithmetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Nefrums just ran "all achievements" in just over 8 hours.

That rainbow science setup he used is amazing.

And watching the way he builds his rail network is almost physically painful.