Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tenzarin posted:

I've been messing around making a self robot making factory where I'm using robots to make more robots then put them in the roboport. Is there some way I can set it up so it keeps a ratio of each robot drone in the network?

You need two roboports. Set both to report network statistics to the logic wires.
Then have an inserter insert construction bots from a requester into one of them if the available construction bots are below a certain number, I tend to use 50. Have an inserter take logistic bots from this port into an active provider if the available bots are above a certain number which should be below 300.
The other port has the same with the other kind of bot.
Put those near your storage so bots settle there for removal regularly.
You need to take those bots out to make sure there is space for the type you want to insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

looks like you accidentally turned on some debugging info, yes.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I like lamps and I think that the night-vision mode makes the game look boring. My last playthrough has an improved lamp ratio with one in seven of my lamps running during the day, from something like one in then on my previous base.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

double nine posted:

do you guys smelt at the ore deposit and transfer the plates to the main base, or do you ferry ore to the base and smelt it there?

It depends.
After I got automated construction material delivery trains setup, I switch from the second to the first.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

SettingSun posted:

This is loss

Putting speed modules into the rocket silo is inefficient. Put prod modules in and surround the silo with beacons.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Roflex posted:

As I found out during my current 10x randomizer game, you can chain fuel between burner miners. I only looked into this because my burner miners have a speed of 3, while electric have a speed of 0.4. Of course, leaving room for the fuel chain to cover all of the burners means I don't get as much coverage, but if I use long inserters and leave 2 spaces between them I can just move the entire line down 2 tiles once they're used up. This would work in a normal game too if for some reason you wanted to use burner miners for an extended period.

you don't need to have inserter between burner miners to chain fuel them.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1XgyTdHzQM1cQrv1YpZJuRGtMv6AE9j4h6Phdn4Fe8-c/edit?usp=sharing

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a way to disable these notifications? I drag-clicked upgrade across an entire base and now it's got a persistent 600 logistic alerts because it's missing components to upgrade(for stuff I don't want to upgrade like inserters)

it feels like it's actually slowing down my robots doing stuff too, it's taking longer and longer for my personal roboport to do stuff now. is it trying to cycle through all the various alerts before it gets to the ones near me to replace or something?

Yes, once you got over 601 construction orders the game switches to a different scheduling. Before that having too many construction orders tanked your framerate.
There might be a config option to switch back to the old behaviour.
But the correct solution is to just finish or cancel the construction. You can set a deconstruction plan to cancel order mode and drag it from the map.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Planning ahead in factorio is nice, but you really don't have to.
The cool thing about factorio is the good blueprinting system, you can pick up your whole base and put it down a few meters over with a few clicks once you got bots.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I vaguely remember hearing that kovarex is an rear end in a top hat years ago. Just a less specific kind of rear end in a top hat.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Well if you want to talk about the effectiveness of review bombing, it is pretty useless. And the other side will bomb in the other direction even if there is just a rumour of review bombing, so it doesn't really matter who goes first. And that also opens the question what an unopposed positive review bombing by the chuds would even do for a game that is already in the best rating category (I think).

e: and yeah, put a warning in the op when you get around to it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

If you rush for bots, building defences becomes much less effort. And that often makes pushing bases not really worth the effort.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

FalloutGod posted:

Can I get some advice on signaling this rail network? or a dead simple tutorial guide. I've done the in game signaling tutorial but things stop making sense when I can't visualize the entire "puzzle" in one screen.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2674962067

E: I have this "working" with just straight signals but I think I'm suppose to have some chain signals in there somewhere...
Is that a single rail in the middle?
You want chain signals everywhere you enter a shared line piece. More chain signals everywhere you want to enable two way trafic.
And normal signals where you leave the shared line for a dedicated line or a terminal.

So, for a branch intersection like you seem to have:
code:
           Terminal
           |
Chainsignal|Signal
           |           
       C   ^  C
Line------<+>-----------Line
       C      C
e: I left my whole starter base lying around in my last big game

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 6, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I do think that the correct time to switch from simple one track rail to complex blueprints is when you get your mobile bots.
Building multitrack without bots is just too annoying, and once you got your bots tileability is more important then anything else.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

There are established multi splitter setups for up to 32x32. I used to be able to build the 8x8 from memory, but I no longer build factories in ways that need those.

Anyways, the most critical measurement is the throughput from any 1 input to any 1 output, with all other inputs empty and all other outputs blocked. The next difficult is 2 to 2.

And, of course you can build much simpler things now that we have priority splitters.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Re: Trains, I agree with the common opinion that 4-way junctions are not worth the effort for all but the slowest networks. And that you should build your network in such a way that you only use T-Junctions.

Oh, and clover-leaves are a bad layout in Factorio, because you don't have bridges. If you want a conceptually simple, but slow 4 way interchange use a roundabout.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The recent LP was very guide focused:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984107

1) Loops are a possible but very unusual way to build things. It is very hard to expand and easy to clog up. And even harder to use without filters and some very advanced knowledge.
2) Yes.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I do think that the big stacker setups are no longer the best way to build fast and large train networks since the 1.0 train update.
You can just build some logic such that there are at most n trains pathing to your station, ideally reduced if the unloading buffer is full, and then you can build a smaller buffer for each unloader.
Massively reducing average travel time between buffer and unloader.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Belts are more fun because they are harder.
I built a 2700 spm belt base once, though it was a distributed base with lots of trains. With bots only in the make everything base.

Belting nuclear fuel to all the train is a terrible idea in the best possible way. Back-stuffing it is fine it just happens. But, deconstructing parts of the base become hilariously inventory heavy.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kinetica posted:

Yeah, I let it run for about 10 minutes to see it improve and nothing. Did it a few times after rebooting factorio too, just to see if that was the issue (shouldn’t be).

I somehow got it fixed, for some reason I had to habe the entire computer reboot as opposed to just factorio. I have no idea why, but it’s working now and is back up to 60. :iiam:

Sounds like a driver crash.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I do find their pricing model interesting. And what actually annoys me about it is that they don't publish enough data to draw real conclusions about how well it works.
They seem to be confident in their approach, but on the other hand they do pretty dumb things sometimes. Remember how they tried to sell the game for bitcoin, back when paypal refused to work with non-americans?

I say as someone who paid 50$ for a higher funding tier, back in the day.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I built a Sushi belt in my first game. It makes sense if you haven't seen any videos about the game before.

Building an actually useful sushi belt is witchcraft. There are 2 in the 100% speedrun, where you plop down a blueprint that took something like 10000 man hours to plan and test.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

For megabase biter defence I always use outposts instead of a wall.
Just a small train station with artillery and defences. The artillery takes out all nearby bases and the biters attack the defence base instead of walking past in most situations. Specifically for at least as long as the defence strongpoints are outside of the pollution spread.
It has automatic ammunition and repair delivery.
And in case I miss something, I can dispatch a few defence spiders that can repair the tracks, strongpoints and each other.

Though I haven't played with biters on for quite some time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The issue with that I've found is every once in a while there'll be an attack triggered by a passing train and you'll lose the engine or even worse the power line which then shuts off defenses at the outpost. Probably making a kill squad of 6+ spidertrons loaded out with rockets then piloting them remotely is best. Either that or sinking tons of science into artillery range.

That is why you have normal turrets and emergency solars at the outpost. And once you got a few levels in artillery range, it stops happening anyway.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

zedprime posted:

You can punch above your weight in artillery range with some train arty and pillbox blueprints. Or roving gangs of spidertrons.

But you can also just type the delete biters command into the command line after your first gaggle of unlimited tech. I'd play with at least some biter toys before this point but most of the big brain arty and spidertron solutions are varying ways to just make biters not exist while not troubling the player not unlike the command line.

Yes, I built that automated pillbox system in one game. With me planting down a blueprint and building the train stops from my inventory, and then trains automatically arriving and bringing turrets, ammo, walls and all that stuff.
And in the next game I just turned off biters from the start.
Though I actually enjoy designing late game defence automatisation more then I enjoy slapping down improvised walls in the early and late game. So turning off biters in the middle of the game is something I never did, except for ups reasons.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Normally you start your UPS optimisation by hitting f4 for the debug options, and looking at which parts of the game are hitting your base the hardest.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Trains sip fuel. Anything better than wood will easily be able to be shoveled in faster than the cargo can load/unload. Just a single fast inserter is all you need.

Especially if you use nuclear trains as god intended.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I was going to say that ottd works fine without signals or curve on tunnels and bridges.
But that grade separated station exit/entrance is really cool.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Wood disposal for megabases.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The 100% speedrun is finally below sub 4:30.
With the new announcement I am getting in the mood to play again, but I feel like I should wait until all those announced things are actually in the game.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The official optimal nuclear setup is getting funnier each time I look:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Half-wit posted:

Amd what exactly is this being optimized for?

Speed.
It is from the 100% speedrun. Download the save yourself and walk through the base, it embodies the true meaning of factorio.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Jabor posted:

I would think that for a speedrun a less optimal but easier to hand-build (and still "good enough") build would be preferred.

Unless this is a preexisting-blueprints-allowed speedrun?

Yes, the 100% speedrun allows premade blueprints. You rush for bots and then it turns into a bot management game.

And because the blueprints have 100s of hours of planning in them you get really crazy circuit magic in surprising places and ideas like using red inserters instead of belts to transport nuke fuel.
It used to be that the 20M greens achievement was utterly dominating the run, but recently that part has become so optimized that 100% research or the second rocket launch takes longer.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I think thats what confused me, a lot of megabases I've seen are -military and 'infinite research' is just for mining prod or whatever, not artillery. I can support 60spm of military within the overhead of my existing production, so I'm gonna add it in to boost arty range.

I've got biters on peaceful, expansion off, and pollution off as a balance between can't totally ignore the military side of things and need to clear them to expand, but don't have to constantly deal with them. Arty range increase will make clearing them easier, but tbh nuke rockets and a ton of exos has been working pretty good for the last couple nests.

Deploy a line of construction spidertrons that lay down a long traintrack and an artillery outpost base that gets automatically supplied with ammunition. The real factorio way of clearing biters.

Follower robot count is the actual spm measurement method I prefer, it needs all colours at once. But, military research is fairly trivial to stuff into a corner for distributed bases.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Simplest way to do that is with a tank.
Have the priority pump insert into the tank normally. Then have the second pump also insert into the tank, and wired to the tank to only pump while the contents are smaller then 10k or something.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

one trick for the petroleum is to pump it in from both sides of the line. So in your case a second output pump for the tank that goes into underground pipes to the top and then feeds the plants from both directions.

The only actually not optimal thing here is not using beacons and modules.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

For my last few bases I had local uranium processing. Where I have a 2x3 reactor including processing from rare uranium as a block. That I stamp down whenever power goes low.
This is entirely sufficient control for kovarex, as long as you use large buffers for the actual kovarex input box.

This is my last belt based kovarex setup. No need to overthink things. The dark-U belt and the chest with the backup bright-U activate once the network has under "number" bright uranium:

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 25, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

well why not posted:

I have become aware of, and accepting of, the fact that my best efforts in this game amount to “spaghetti branches off a neat bus”

Replace the bus with a rail system, and you got a perfectly fine megabase concept.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

if your complaint is "the most optimal way to do X is boring", then simply do what is fun for you. Unless you are playing with biters on deathworld or using a Rampant/Natural Evolution mod, being optimal or 100% efficient or not doesn't really make an actual difference except perhaps time taken!

Nah, it is a sign of lazy game design. There are actually some very good Factorio devblogs about that. Where they talk about how the kind of people who play Factorio are also the kind of people who psychologically can't use a suboptimal strategy even if it is more fun. And they talk about working hard to buff belts to make them actually competitive with bots outside of the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

New friday facts:
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-408

quote:

Asynchronous saving

Many of you might not be aware that Factorio has support for saving your game in the background, without freezing while it does so. This feature is tucked away in the hidden settings and only works on macOS and Linux. This is one great example of taking advantage of a platform's features to benefit the game, which would not be available to us if we simply went through Proton.