Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is insane. I did the tutorial thing and figured "Oh, okay, it's a decent resource management sim that'll probably get old pretty quickly"

Then I played an actual game and saw the research tree. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I definitely agree that the art direction is kind of bland. I really like it, because I grew up on Command and Conquer, Dark Reign, and other similar games with a really bleak, grimdark environment, and it definitely fits the setting and such of this, but it will really hurt sales in the long run because modern gamers are used to more color in everything that isn't FPS games.

Or I could be wrong and there are hundreds of thousands of people just like me eagerly waiting to spend all their money on this. :shrug:

E: I have a gameplay question. Do biter spawners only send stuff after you if you have them shown on your map, or are they hostile based on distance from you automatically? Also, what's the point of Radar in either of those situations and why is it under the military tab?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 4, 2014

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

One thing in particular I really like about this (and may need to be nerfed in future versions, honestly :v:) is that the power grid runs itself and automatically limits its production to exactly what I need. Even more than that, if I have solar panels and steam engines it will always draw the maximum amount from the solar panels before using the steam engines for power, and the boilers don't even turn on if the steam engines don't need them.

Basically what this means is that it's really easy to manage pollution.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's the best way to do it, in my opinion, unless there's a space constraint in regards to your mining location.

Here's how I do mine:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How do refineries work? I have crude oil in a storage tank, and that tank is hooked up to a refinery, but the refinery isn't doing anything or outputting anything. Do I need pumps somewhere, or is there another facility that needs to go in between?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So can solid fuel replace coal for recipes or just for furnaces?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

Anyone have an example of a refinery complex approaching cleanliness? Mine is a hideous slapdash affair (due mainly to figuring out systems on the go) and I'd like it to be neater next time I build one.
This is my refinery setup. It's a bit cramped, but is probably the most efficient way to hook a bunch of refineries up to the same system while also being easy to set up chemical plants off of any of the outputs.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why can inserters not take pipes out of a box? I'm trying to set up a engine assembler and it doesn't take pipes out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Do you not have any power, or something?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bhodi posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would ever use electric furnaces. They're bigger, suck power, and you've got more solid fuel than you know what to do with during plastic/lubricant refinement to shove into steel furnaces. The electricity savings alone are worth avoiding them.

It'd be nice if they smelted at 3.0 to make them at least somewhat desirable if you've got massive amounts of power.

Also, just made the airplane. I want more missions! :argh:

Because it saves on pollution. A Steel Furnace pollutes more than the electricity generation for an Electric Furnace, even if you're only using steam power.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Note to self: Do not run after your train excitedly because you might have set it up correctly, especially if it might swing around and splatter you.

You turned on autosaves every five minutes, right?

...right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rapner posted:

Explosives are always the answer. Unless the answer is bots.

All this game needs is a third type of drone that drops primed explosives everywhere.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's funny because that setup runs out of red circuits in like five seconds or something.

Looks nice, though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh god now I'm imagining factorio with multiple z-levels and my palms are sweaty

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

*shakes you by shoulders* My man have you heard of satisfactory????

Is that finally playable outside of the epic store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

neat.