Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

Stick Insect posted:

Nope. The radar reveals previously unexplored parts of the map, but has a maximum range it won't reveal beyond. I believe the map is generated as you explore it.
Is there a way in game to see the range of a radar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

Breetai posted:

Is there anything you can do with the purple stuff that comes out of the monster spawners in the third level of demo? (I'm deciding on a 'conquer the map' approach to dicking around with it and want a nice, clear map so I can gently caress around with things for a while.)
I don't think there's owt you can do with it during the demo levels, but in the full game sandbox mode you need them to make the purple science pack and some end game items.

Does anyone have any idea how to use the Night Vision Goggles? I've just made them but it won't let me equip them as armour or anything.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

I feel like what I really want is some detailed data to help optimize my setup, like:

Trying to match solar cells to batteries:
How many J does each solar cell make per day/night cycle?

Trying to balance steam engines and furnaces:
How does a steam engine consume hot water? Is it faster/slower based on the temperature of the water?
How fast can a pump produce water?
How fast can a furnace heat water?
I don't know much about this, so I might not be right, but as far as I know pumps product water extremely fast, so you don't need to worry about that. The hotter the water the more electricity the engine produces. A boiler will only burn fuel if it is actually needed, so you it's better to add more boilers than you need than to have less than you need, as you won't actually waste any fuel doing so.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012
Don't forget that you can make solid fuel with light and heavy oil, so you can always just make a load of that and then use it instead of coal.