Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Had a big worm protecting about five biter spawns in my sandbox game. They were becoming an issue because my pollution was triggering them about every five minutes. I could walk turrets in to clear three of the spawns but the last two were just underneath the worm. I couldn't keep empty turrets up before they were nearly dead by the swarm and the homing shot. I figured I'd try some advice in this thread: take a car, load up a flamethrower, roll down the window and burn the place to the ground. In a short five seconds I burned the swarm then accidentally rammed the worm, killing it and the car. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Essentially you only have to read the top two bars and compare them. Is your production larger than your consumption? You're good! If it's not then you need to add more energy production or add efficiency modules.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Basic tip for early spawner clearing (typically 1-4), use about 20/spawner armour piercing rounds instead of the normal kind. The normal kind is good only for protection and helping out your defensive towers/walls. Clear the initial pool of biters from the area, approach a spawner and hose it down. Keep your cursor pointed in the general direction but closer to you so that biters that spawn will get targeted and shot down automatically. This will work up until medium biters start spawning more than one in a pool.

You can clear small worms similarly and edge out spawners that are far enough away from the bigger worms so you can hit them without getting shot in turn. Get steel armour for essentially infinite protection against the small biters.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Medium and Large Biters have damage reduction to physical of 4 and 8 respectively, so your AP rounds are going to be doing 1 and 1/5 per shot. They have no resistance towards lasers so they'll be taking the full 5 damage. Even with laser turrets reduced shooting speed it will do more DPS to those two enemies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

EvilMike posted:

Is there any reason to actually do this?

Using an imported phrase from Minecraft: Because You Can :colbert:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shoot it up with your weapon of choice. Hover over a potential target (trees, in this case) and hold down C. In the case of shotguns and flamethrowers, just press space. They aren't too concerned about having targets.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It can also be cracked into petroleum if you have got to blue science.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Grey Elephants posted:

I have a chemical plant hooked up to a light oil pipeline and a heavy oil pipeline. The plant is set to produce flamethrower fuel, but none of the oil is going in. Am I missing something?

Hit alt and see if the pipelines are aligned with the correct inputs. Otherwise what Platystemon said.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Drevoak posted:

Is there a mod that modifies power priority? So that electricity will be drawn from solar then accumulators and then finally steam engines? I know you can make a contraption to kind of do it but it seems like you'll have to tweak it every time you change your power flow.

The contraption doesn't have to be tweaked so long as you aren't encroaching on it with either your boilers or your solars. You just need the one accumulator be the connection to the contraption; it gains/loses stored power at the same rate as the rest of your accumulators.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Accumulators basically take whatever extra power there is in your network to charge themselves up to their maximum and then release it when power is required. This means if you can sustain nights only through your steam engines, they're never going to discharge. If you want your accumulators run dry first you're going to have to jury-rig something up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If only you could have your automated lasers target trees around you it would be the best "gently caress THE PLANET" armour ever.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's a combination of both the pollution and time, but the former is a stronger increment. You can take down small bases that do not have worms with an SMG and armour piercing bullets early on but once there are more than one or two medium biters you aren't going to chew through their armour and HP fast enough to kill them easily.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Biters target the bots first when going on rampages. If that wasn't it then your bots have problems finding refueling stations before running out.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Why aren't you cracking your light oil into petroleum and using your heavy oil for making lubricant and MAXIMUM conveyor belts?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Then incredibly you can take it one step further and have a dedicated smelting operation somewhere outputting to your bus which is fed by an increasingly complex train line running to your mining operations!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's neat to see the various stages people go through when playing this game. You can tell who just started to the guys that have a good grasp of the basics to the fellows who have a map of how their factory is going to look the moment they step foot down on the ground. As people get more experienced the more decentralized everything gets.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Guiding biters to your turrets is boring and should only be done before you get capsules rolling out regularly. That's typically between medium biters being common and big biters showing up. Once you've got capsules the combination of slowdown and poison will let you kite groups in a never ending circle inside the death cloud.

Slowdown also lets you some safety in gunning down the nests from the horde but you'd be better off getting Distractor tech and tossing one or two on each nest (after you clear out the worms, of course). If they're positioned correctly newly spawned biters will try and fail to path to them until the nest is destroyed. They sit like lemons and it makes clearing out the base much easier.

Then Destroyers are the :smug: way of clearing things out.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Replicant points if you have logi-bots cart around all the resources necessary to create more logi-bots.

It's not a bad research line to rush into, I find. It lets you move away from buses and belts every which way to an assembly depot near a storage depot for anything that doesn't need gobs of mass-production. And I think you don't have to dip into blue research to get that far either.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

ModeSix posted:

Exactly this. How the hell do you guys control the car so well that you want it to go even faster?

Toss poison capsules in the areas you're going to be driving your car?
Still wouldn't want to go faster though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That would work so long as the road doesn't have intersections. Maybe have you hold a button down while driving to 'stick' to the road, left and right operate similarly to how trains do on choosing which track to take, let go to drive normally.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That is a very nicely organized cracker setup. Scalable in all directions.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Man, I'm envious of your position. My latest base doesn't have any other bodies of water in a huge radius around me.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Okay, place an electrical pole but hold the mouse button down instead of just clicking. NOW RUN LIKE THE WIND. You will place poles down at max range where your cursor is from the previous pole!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Use lots of space if you don't want a tangle of pipes. This is good advice for whenever you're just figuring out the different systems. Once you have a handle on things you can start being more space efficient.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Fans posted:

So it's probably a total mess but I feel proud of this anyway!

That's one of the cleaner builds I've seen for that campaign mission. Good job.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Not to mention it's one of the highest consumers of your power. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you did, you would really enjoy Infinifactory which is ALL about that sort of thing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Stay with vanilla for now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Gibbo posted:

Don't be an idiot then? It's not a hard game to learn.
This game is way easier to handle than the awful anno interface.

If you're the type to get frustrated and smash your Lego because a piece is out of place then you're barking up the wrong type of video game. Have you tried peggle?

I get frustrated and smash my Lego (restart) fairly frequently, particularly when I was first learning the game. gently caress you for calling that idiocy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

kaxman posted:

Blowing up huge sections of your base becomes pretty trivial once you get some roboports going.

Correct and they're fantastic for fiddling with layouts but they're pretty far into the tech tree.

EDIT: ^ Hm, seems my memory of them is misplaced.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's basically a long line where all resources are part of a trunk. If you need to produce an mid/end product you introduce a splitter and have it tunnel to one of the sides to an automated factory. Have it get processed then either dump the end product into a chest or add the mid product back into the bus so something further along can use it. It takes up a lot of space (have each line of the bus have two spaces in-between to make it really easy to split off lines) and does not guarantee the best throughput but it does make guarantee every factory attached to that bus will product something eventually.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Efficient method is to drop them on a cargo container in-between the wire assemblers and the circuit assemblers (3 to 2 assembler ratio). You could do the same thing with chests but it doesn't balance as well.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, EvilReaver was more inclined towards speedrunning though I do remember him building a factory to automate rocket defenses at one point.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Build more storage tanks, duh. But Kyrsmphoenix has it right, you'll want Advanced Oil Processing so that the only clogging is going to be the really useful petroleum gas, used in plastics and sulfur production.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Logistic robots is a trade-off of bandwidth and parts vs belts. They take an incredible amount of different components to make whereas belts are, at it's core, just iron, gears and lubricant for the top tier. Additionally if you don't care how long a volume of things take to build then the robits are the way to go.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yes and no. They have their place in really dense factory setups (with lots of small quantities of unique items) but bulk work over long distances, where trains would shine, they are terribly inefficient. Here's a good breakdown of the strengths and weaknesses of each transport system.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Means you aren't running enough trains! Constant engines flying around the tracks, daring you to cross without getting sideswiped. :black101:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You need a 'trash' storage area for the times it gets overwhelmed so the belt doesn't get jammed. Once it eases off you could then reintroduce it back to the start using the circuit network to determine this and it can be properly sorted!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

RVT posted:

I've thought about this a little, played with chest to increase the buffer amount, but if you get really clogged, I don't see a way to fix it except manually. Which is fine for me, because that's pretty much all I do. But if you have a "trash" system that'll actually automate it I'd love to hear it.

Reading your post closer, I've never used the circuit network in my many hours of factorio, so maybe I'm missing out.

Well if you ever get clogged you have three ways of fixing it without siphoning up the materials yourself: expanding the sorting array with more belts, expanding the unsorted storage array with more chests or expanding the buffer of the sorted material with more chests. The chests are easier on space since you only need a chest and two inserters for input and output.

There's also the possibility of staggering your sorting inserters so that each 'vane' on your sorting array isn't dedicated to a single material. That way you aren't prone to having a glut of a single material block the operation entirely. The downside to this is it'll eat up more space because you'd need spots for tunnel belts and splitters.

Circuit network is more to get fancy with using a timer and the input of the unsorted storage array to determine if it hasn't been used over such and such a period. If it does then it starts the output of the same to start dropping off material back into the sorting array. There's literally nothing preventing you from constantly feeding the unsorted stuff without such efforts; it's more of an aesthetic choice.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shotgun is pretty good ammo-wise for taking down smaller concentrations of spawners. It balances out the machine gun which is great against biter waves but chews through ammo like they're made of candy.