Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
This game is really cool. It's like Anno with way more detailed means of production

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

KodiakRS posted:

The sudden jump is what makes the game fun. Figuring out how to manage the complex resource chains required to make the next level of science is a massive pain in the rear end, but the satisfaction when it all comes together is amazing.
That's one of the reasons I really enjoy this game, it makes you think about where to actually put stuff.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Shintaro posted:

Evolution factor is between 0 and 1 (it rises asymptotically) and controls at least the following:

• Biter spawn rate
  • Existence and frequency of medium and big biters (this is also influenced by distance from the start point)
  • Settling party size (which presumably influences the size and perhaps contents of a new base)

Evolution factor also may influence biter attack party size.

Peaceful mode, as I understand it, means biters won't form attack parties due to pollution and thus attacks will only occur when you get close enough to bother them. In "nonpeaceful" mode, I don't think biters will send random attacks if untouched by pollution; I don't know though (nor do I know if they send settling parties in peaceful mode).

In other news, I was watching a Twitch stream today and somebody claiming to be a dev (which seemed legit, but, you know, whatever) said they were working on the final bugfixes for release 10.
They made a blog post saying they plan a new patch release next week.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Do new bitter spawns ever pop up in areas where you already removed one?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Why would you need to mass-produce refineries? :psyduck:
Because you can!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

I think Factorio is the best game of the year that I've played. Getting about 4000/m copper wire consumption on this cluster gently caress setup.

http://i.imgur.com/AL8obEN.jpg
It's glorious!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
A problem I have with a lot of mods is that the designers don't even tell you what they do.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

RattiRatto posted:

I have been looking at this game for quite a while, should i jump on it before it goes steam?
How long it has been in development? Is it almost done or is it a long way until it's finished?
It's cheaper now than it will be later, and it's already a pretty good game.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

GotLag posted:

Reactors update!
Yes, I know I need to do a proper write-up at some point.
Your mods are great!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
It needs to be said that the Factorio devs are pretty awesome.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I've finally gotten into oil for the first time and holy cow, I can feel my brain melting.:psyduck:
What do I do with all the heavy and light oil? Turn it into Solid fuel?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

a7m2 posted:

what are some good, simple QoL mods? I got that mod that makes trains worthwhile by moving resources further out

there's a mod that has a tanker cart for trains. thinking of getting it myself
Get it, it's going to be added to the game anyway. Might as well save the hassle now!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Galvanik posted:

How are you all estimating the size of iron and copper patches? I have no idea what size the patches are other than "big" or "small"
Go to your map and hover over the patch, it tells you how much there is.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
What are the ratios for nuclear reactors? How many steam turbines can I run with one reactor, or should I have multiple reactors? I can find the info for steam engines, but not nuclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Make sure you all get the new update for 0.15. Some one found a major security vulnerability with the mods use of LUA where someone can sneak though executing malicious code in Windows. It is fixed in the latest update.