Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked this game up thanks to the LP of it, and it's scratching an itch I never knew I had. I literally cannot stop playing it. A game hasn't had a hold on me this strong in a while.

Anyway, I've a question about nuclear power: I've used the tutorial in the wiki to set up a rudimentary setup. One reactor, four heat exchanges, eight steam turbines. This is supposed to output a ton of power, way more than what I would ever need in my little baby factory. It is, but not what's advertised. Checking it out, it looks like each turbine isn't working to capacity. They're processing around 20 steam/second instead of their max of 60. Everything is just connected via pipes. Could utilizing pumps increase the throughput here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Do you still have your legacy power running? The grid won’t draw from nuclear steam turbines exclusively, so you might have to shut down your old power generators first before the nukes take up the load.

Also if you generate excess power it will just go away unless you’re trapping the steam. Even my huge base only needs intermittent powering from my nuclear reactors, most of the time they’re idle while the base runs off stored steam.

I'm at work (scheming about my factory instead of working) else I would post a picture but you know, it's probably this. I left my old steam engines running so I'll try turning them off. My peak power consumption hovers around 20 MW (I think that's the correct unit) so even a single reactor is overkill, but I'm just concerned with the experiment of getting one running for now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

chairface posted:

It's not gonna output with no place for the juice to go.

For what it's worth this was the case. After turning off my steam engines output went up, and continued to go up when I added new things until they hit capacity. For some reason I thought all the power generators would just generate all their possible power at all times and what wasn't used would go off into the ether. It made sense in my head.

Also I played for like 6 hours straight and managed to launch the rocket for my first win. I then immediately started a new game because I had some new layout designs I wanted to try out. So many ideas, so little time.

This game is good.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That factory was held up with duct tape and a nightmarish web of belts and pipes. It was supposed to be a 'get my bearings' game that lasted 40 hours. Frankly I'm glad to start anew. I also turned on peaceful mode for this new game so I don't have to drive my tank out every 30 minutes to clear out the rabble that moves in.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Blueprints are the natural extension on the type of experience this game aims to bring. Manually doing everything is boring and tedious after a point. I agree that a good middle point would be to have to manually build something once before you can deploy a blueprint.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Am I crazy or did they do away with the little wire graphic that connected all the machinery to power poles? I could swear that was a thing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This is loss

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like to take a measured and contemplative approach to this game so attempting to speedrun it takes all the fun out of it for me, but I am determined to see it through. Thanks for the tips!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some friends and I started a (vanilla) deathworld and boy, did we learn fast to not to create a giant manufactory before developing tools to fight the biters. Just constant wave after wave of huge hordes. It was manageable until the hordes started to consist of mainly spitters and the turrets can’t handle that.

Frankly it rules.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've never thought about anything resembling a ratio until like 200 hours in and launching several rockets. For me it was always:

Rosalie_A posted:

The only commandment you need: make more output machines until adding more doesn't work, in which case make more inputs.

It's "oh, my yellow science is but a trickle....ah I'm not making enough low density structures....christ these build slow I guess I need a lot more buildings..."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

An expansion with the same size and scope as the vanilla game? Seems highly ambitious. I wonder what direction they are taking the design space.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Other factory builders (and mods for Factorio) complicate the logistics with waste output. Satisfactory's mid and late game deal with it a lot for example. I like the idea of managing waste then later using that waste for something else.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

How's the multiplayer in this? My co-op group is looking for another game to add to the rotation.

Identical to single player in function and form. I had a very good time in a two player game not that long ago. It's especially fun because you'll get to know your partner(s) and their factory planning style fast, especially if your philosophies are different.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TonySnow posted:

I am also a believer in our one true savior, the underground belt.

There is artistry in chaos and I kinda want to hang this on my wall.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Instead of waiting for the expansion I've been playing the Space Exploration mod. It's fun as hell. Playing co-op with a buddy and after 55 hours we've finished cryonite science automation and are working on vulcanite science. Well, mostly automated. While rocket delivery staging is automatic we load and fire them manually for now. From what I understand this is still somewhat the earlygame. I've re-addicted to Factorio because of this.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I found this nightmare on Reddit.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I cubed for about an hour. Very interesting so far. I can see where the optimization is necessary. Immediately I crafted 60 steam engines and storage for a ton of steam so I can efficiently run the 50MW synthesizer. Interested to see where it goes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That bug must be caused by something else. I didn't enable that mod and I'm trucking along.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Been thinking about that cube. It’s an interesting logistical puzzle with the cube being the only fuel source (that I currently know of). My first attempt at automating green science was held up by unbalanced outputs, so the cube just sat around waiting to be burned, holding up everything else. Had to work right away on circuitry.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

seiken posted:

Simplest approach is to have some input/output buffer chests wired up to an inserter that puts the cube in and enable it when the chest are full/empty enough. If you have e.g 2 conditions you can use two combinators set to output 1 when their condition is true, wire outputs to inserter and set that to enable when the signal = 2.

Learning improved my cubing a ton. I started a little simpler before I got the hang of it. I just wired all the buffer chests and the cube inserter together and only enabled the inserter when the boxes were less than some total, ensuring the machine can always work the cube.

The actual toughest part right now is figuring out when/where in the cube line to shove the cube into the boiler to keep power running.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cube update: I've automated the 3rd tech card, which was an interesting experience. Getting condensed fuel running helped, as having my cube spending all day powering other things really didn't help my power at all. A look at the next leg of the tech tree is...interesting.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ultracube is progressing nicely, and weirdly. There's definitely a discovery element to the mod so I'll spoiler some of this. After the 3rd tier of science it seems to split into branches. One focusing on deep core materials, and one focusing on...transdimensional ghost tech? :spooky:

The deep core vein is too drat far away so I guess I'm working on ghost tech first. This involves splitting the cube into 64 baby cubes and making those do work. They can produce materials in small quantities and there are 64 of them...but I don't think they can power the big furnace.

I have a lot of planning to do for a new facility.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My favorite Dosh forbidden knowledge is the cargo wagon mall. I've compressed entire setups into lines of cargo wagons with filter inserters shoved between them. Watching that video was like having my third eye opened up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What resources that base produced in Dosh's video is much more than the sum of every product I've ever produced in my 500+ hours of playing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Speaking of cube progress I "automated" both branches of 4th tier tech finally. By that I mean the goods come off the line with some manual massaging of where the cube is and some junk output (so much calcium). The next thing I have to do is figure out a building whose correct inputs change every execution. Well, I couldn't avoid more complex circuit behavior forever...

Deep core drilling was much easier than the other tech tree, mainly because of all the dimension folding I didn't need to do.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I set up a (cargo wagon, lol) mall in Ultracube and it turns out that all these necessities require quite a few basic matter units. So many in fact I created a version of one of the title menu slides to create a couple thousand in a short amount of time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am, except once I couldn’t get rid of calcium fast enough now I can’t make enough of it! And coal liquefaction is mandatory to rid myself of enough of it so the deep ore powder can flow so I’m lousy with oil derivatives.

And the logistic bots stack to one. :mad:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've only ever used balancers for ores at the miners so all my inputs output uniformly. But in that endeavor I've used fun ones like 8-4s so I'm happy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My friend I can point to any of my first few wins to show you what it looks like to win without balancing. Or bots. Or solar panels. Or...[trails off forever]

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm about to start manufacturing what I think is the last tech card in Ultracube and soon I'll also be able to show what it looks like to win a mod designed for circuitry shenanigans with hardly any in practice. Also excited to export a picture of my factory as I don't think I've designed such a monstrosity of belts and pipes in a long time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Once more this game grows ever closer to what I do irl. Never thought I'd encounter variable parameterization outside of my report writing work.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have some cursed factory to show today in Ultracube. I was having a severe raw input problem so it was time to remake the cube line (and you can see why below), so I grabbed a cap of the place with bonus cube route. Everything eastward is experimental and is another reason it was time for a retrofit.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I forget that lots of things have backer names and not just train stations, and those get renamed anyway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So in Ultracube there's a building which accepts 6 things in pairs, but it doesn't tell you which pair it accepts and it changes every time it succeeds (otherwise it spits out junk and you can try again). I knew there was no good way to solve this effectively without circuitry but I've never really used them. So I watched the two Dosh videos and read some examples and I think I have something simple that works and I feel really good about it.

So with 6 possible paired inputs including itself that's 21 pairs. Since the accepted pair doesn't change on failure if you can give it all pairs you will get it eventually. In fact, since it randomly changes the only way to really do it is to feed it all 21 pairs over and over again. So, I came to the solution of feeding a belt with the 21 pairs sequentially one set at a time and using a loader to guarantee they get into the machine in that order. Then I ordered the inserters to wait until the belt was clear before loading another set by using a belt reader. It works! It actually took more time than it should have to come to this conclusion because I didn't know you can override the stack size on inserters so I was wracking my head over how to deal with an inserter sticking 3 qubits on the belt at once. With that solved it was obvious what to do. Lesson learned.

(one of these boxes is requesting the wrong qubit lmao)

This is actually pretty flimsy, as if there's a qubit shortage then the order gets all messed up but not horribly so. I'm still thinking of a way to fix that. I thought I could sum all the blue chests, make them negative, then send a signal if any were positive to disable the inserters until every chest had something, but with 7 chests per qubit all of them would need to be empty and that doesn't work. I could do it on a per-chest basis but that sounds tedious. I'm still thinking!

tldr circuits are cool and I'm glad I'm learning them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Well, I used a few circuits. Wired inserters to buffer storage so I could tell them to not grab the cube if the box/tank was too full. This is was my first foray into actual logic. I'm trying to learn and apply more decider logic! There was/is a lot of hand feeding in my cube factory. I JUST got around to unifying all my cube consumers so the cube doesn't have to do a tour of my whole factory (this was killing my oil production).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cube :unsmith:

Excellent mod. There's a lot of post victory stuff to think about and automate. Also these victory stats are incorrect. And I definitely ran myself over with the train (lol).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The mod is still pretty fresh and the dev has updated it quite a bit since he launched it two weeks ago. I have a tough time forming an opinion on things that feel off since the overhaul is extensive and everything is very deliberate. But the thing that annoyed me the most by far was that the anti-belt shoes aren't in so I'm slipping and sliding all over my nightmare base.

E: Before anyone asks I used exactly one combinator in my entire base (in the build I talked about earlier).

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 9, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Don't watch the Dosh video on K2 if you want to preserve the surprise. But do watch it eventually because it is a Dosh video.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

seiken posted:

I kind of just forgot about those since I don't think I've ever used them hah. Fixed for you!

You're a cool dev, thanks! I have a habit of just cutting through my factory and over all its belts so this will make that feel so much better.

The final production chain is kinda scary, so I feed it by hand for now and procrastinate by thinking about train-based manufacturing. The idea of bring in materials by train is strangely appealing for a mod with such an interesting premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They should devise a way to borrow DSP's proliferation mechanic next. The stacker was a good start.