Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I played the demo of this game this morning-- it was fun, so I bought it.

I'm about to start my first game. Any suggestions on settings that are newbie friendly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So, game is good.

I started out with high resources, and aliens don't attack unless I start poo poo.

My plans going in:
-Give myself lots of space.
-Build based on rows. I watched some of a letsplay on friday and the guy used the "Main Bus" method, which I guess I'm emulating a little bit. All* major production is done left to right to keep things organized.

My screen shots don't look very interesting to me but maybe you guys will like them? These are day 1.

Here I am trying to figure out how to get two resources on the proper lanes on a single belt.

My overall base (still super early on)

Here I make plates, woo.

Here's my science corner. This is temporary, it depends on me running the resources by hand.

Day 2 (today)
Lessons!

-I'm going to gently caress myself for space no matter how I do things
-Science is way more involved than I realized; machines themselves are part of recipes, and this is only green stuff.
-I should have automated belt and inserter building wayyyy earlier than I did, I make an awful lot of stuff by hand.
-I read online that inserters can take from chests. I tested this and found I couldn't, guess I was just dumb. Makes life easier though.
-I'm learning how to use splitters a bit, handy things.

Overall base:

I replaced my first science area with a inserter factory. The science hub is now in the bottom left, and I hope to keep it there.

I like how easy it is to disassemble existing stuff.

My plan now is to keep with the rows. I'm placing big vertical routes every so often to move resources... currently only in one direction (down) but I image this will change. I'm giving myself even more space.

My science is humming along now (red and green) and I'm not sure where to go next, I guess make some steel.

Oh, and I just ran into the wilderness to shoot up some biters. I figure the pressure they put on me will keep things interesting. Time to set up some turret/ammo factories!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was reminded of this game when I was talking to a friend about laying out PCBs, which I used to do sometimes for work. There's a lot of similarities really, so I had a sort of head start.

Now time to hop in my new car, and find some oil!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I killed a biter nest ages ago, and more recently I provoked a bunch. They followed for some time but eventually I outdrove them.

Whats it going to take for them to attack my base? I'd like to do something other than straight building once in a while.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Day 3

I have a car! I spend most of my time smashing into things, though the big trunk size is amazingly useful.

I'm getting oil! I set up a train even though the oilfield isn't too far away. I ended up building the start of a second refinery area, intended to replace the first little one I built. I'm a bit nervous here, as I don't really know how oil, pipes, trains, and more work with each other or expand in the future. I may even start again for a 3rd time to ensure I'm giving myself enough space for expansion.

I put in the console command:
/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode = false
twice, after the prompt about disabling achievements. No effect so far. I want to be attacked, drat it.

I used this setup from the start, and its common throughout my base. It isn't very space efficient, and I could stand to make better use of the output belts, but the basic design is working well so far.
The red PCBs are the last ingredient I needed to make blue science jars. Next step is setting up belts to deliver all 3 ingredients automatically, which won't be hard because a major vertical thoroughfare is right there, though its getting full already.

Nothing special, just stuff moving around. Those splitters and belts will change as my needs change. Those ghost belts are just rough lines showing where I intend to put... something, later on. A reminder not to build on top of them.

My first experiment with oil. It got me enough plastic to start up red PBC production, but I didn't like the location. I'd need to pass through a lot of stuff to get the finished products to my major factory areas.

My setup on the other side of my base, adjacent to major thoroughfares. My "row" building system makes me worried though, as it currently goes storage -> refining -> processing and then whatever comes after that. Having the rows go up means it will interfere eventually with my planned expansion areas. So I might tear this up and build it so it descends, away from my base instead. Oil and its products looks complicated so I expect this area to become a zoo. I'll keep it away from my normal networks until I understand it a bit better.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well I had my power grid crash. I had diverted too many streams of coal. First power flickered, then it went low enough that the inserters failed, meaning none of the boilers were getting coal anymore, so the whole system shut completely down.

I bootstrapped it by inserting coal manually, but the problem was deeper. I built more more boilers and steam engines. I had to quickly turn off diversions for coal, and when that wasn't enough, put down more harvesters, which of course need energy themselves to run.

And during all of this, the biters decided to make their first attack- on my remote oil outpost. After I fixed the power issue I went down to check it out, and cleared out a nest that had spawned close by. And some buildings have range attacks, which surprised me.

My base is so spread out, protecting it is going to be a bitch. But it certainly gives me something to work towards!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Removing a full tank should spill the contents, counting as a big pollution hit.

Speaking of pollution, those times I've complained about insufficient attacks? Well my wish came true.

I took this screenshot a few hours ago, detailing the novel experience of having enemies launch concerted attacks on me. My response was to beef up my single turrets with lines of them. I connect power and lighting, with the idea of adding walls if it became necessary.

Well, I spent the rest of those hours fighting off wave after wave of the bastards. My bullet production was barely automated at all when this started, so I had to keep running back and forth with small batches of bullets to feed the turrets that were killing the swarms. I also got several attacks on undefended parts of my base, including my power grid and science research.

There was a... nest? nearby my base, so I launched an attack on it. They easily repelled it-- those loving worm things outrange both me and my turrets. I built a heavy armour suit which helped me not die instantly, and started to build turrets and wall segments closer and closer to the nest. My best method so far was to have a line of turrets by the nest, build turrets for the worms to shoot at, then run in and throw grenades. This didn't work very well but it was the best I had.

What sort of weapons should I be looking at here? I'm pretty low tech still, I've got red pcbs in steady production but no batteries yet. I need mil science before I can research flame throwers.

If the aliens level up I'm seriously hosed, I can barely hold them off as it is.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 11, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Red bullets for everything, plus rockets so you can outrange the worms. Getting military science up should be a priority. I do it before I even set up oil.

Rockets eh, no I definitely don't have those. I'll rush for mil science and pray I have enough time.

For the time being I'll put armour piercing bullets and grenades on major production, as I literally have nothing better.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The tank is amazing and super useful. Grenade drive-bys are solving all my problems.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like that a lot.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squibbles posted:

Enjoy it while you can, next release they are dropping the bonus machine gun damage for the tank so it'll have to rely on shells again

Just toss grenades. The best part of the tank is that it isn't made of glass.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

If we could replace train tracks with canals for cargo ships I am on board.

Why not a train bridge with cargo ships passing under it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Burn it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

zedprime posted:

If we take experienced player solutions as perfectly fine, we are pulling up stakes over a problem that is fixed by building more fluid tanks. We're talking about a player who's crowning achievement of the past 12 hours is one refinery and a couple chemical plants and the idea of more is a hurdle because they are just getting into the meat of automate everything, more more more.

**raises hand**

This was me. I was also new to trains, having set up a super basic train network to get my new oil. I'd also started to reap what I sowed with biters: setting them to low, finding that too easy, turning them up, only to have them start to pose a real threat by trashing parts of my base.

I'd advanced into blue science and had some personal robots hanging around but they were super expensive as a lot of my base was powered by me manually replacing poo poo. I was mostly running back and forth keeping my defenses up. The prospect of automating all the stuff to get me out of this hole was too much. I dropped the game, briefly started a new game, and that's that.

Its a super sweet game though so I've followed this thread diligently. I can't comment on exactly how to fix the issue, but I definitely agree that oil presents a too-large jump in the learning curve and that it should be smoothed out a bit.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah I didn't know that. Instead I was dealing with brown-outs caused by my coal being increasingly used in... some new recipe. Eventually I crashed my whole power grid as I had no non-electric backups. Which is a pretty cool thing to happen really, that was a fun problem.

Really it was the mentality that I needed to change. I grasped it by the end, but I was too deep in the whole to really put it in to practice. The whole Just Build thing is a bit strange to newcomers: all my attention was wrongly focused in keeping up my tiny garbage base instead of continuous expansion.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My gaming machine is a windows box with no wifi card, and in my new living arrangement, no internet.

Factorio is installed on it, but is a few versions behind. Is there any way for me to download updates on my mac, and USB them over to the desktop? Its installed through Steam, unfortunately.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

utamaru posted:

if you go to factorio.com and log in you can download the zip straight from there

e: https://www.factorio.com/download/experimental for latest

I tried twice to login with my steam credentials (which work) but get the error: Could not log in, no connected account found.
Do I have to link my Steam account with Factorio account somehow?

DelphiAegis posted:

There's also no drm on the steam version iirc, so you can just grab the files from some place with free wifi and play offline fine.

I don't think that's changed?

I don't know how to download a windows version of the game on my mac, is the issue.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

You do not log into their website with your steam account. You have (or can create) a Factorio account and link it to your Steam account.

Done; downloading; thanks!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've gotten back into the game after probably a year out of it, and it is good. I'm still quite a newb though, and while this base is way better than my first attempt, there's still a lot I don't know.

Due to some interesting map settings I chose, my closest oil is pretty darn far away, thoroughly colonized by biters. I toned down the biters, including enabling the option that prevents them attacking first. So far I can happily skirt their bases. To get that oil I'm going to need to fight though, and while I've been stocking ammo and the like, I'm not sure how it will go because of the distance.

Questions:
Is there a way to see my current biter settings? I don't remember if I have evolution on or not.
If I start hostilities with biters, will they begin to attack me from all directions?
Do biters attack train tracks?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm sure you've all seen the Factorio trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR01YdFtWFI

I love this video. It shows different parts of the factory, set to a sort of zany music that is extremely fitting.

Are there other videos like this? I'd love to explore other people's factories, but instead of being set to narration, set to something like the Powerhouse theme made famous by Looney Tunes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR01YdFtWFI

Does anyone know of anything like this?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How does one view pollution? I don't see the red cloud in my map mode.

I had trouble with biters early on when I was still using burner drills for mining. I built some walls and turrets which were well worth it. In my last session I automated military science; the biters were pretty easy before, now they're a joke and I don't even have a tank yet. I'd like them to be a bit harder, but I know well to be careful what I wish for.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

re: changes to oil

Count Roland posted:

**raises hand**

This was me. I was also new to trains, having set up a super basic train network to get my new oil. I'd also started to reap what I sowed with biters: setting them to low, finding that too easy, turning them up, only to have them start to pose a real threat by trashing parts of my base.

I'd advanced into blue science and had some personal robots hanging around but they were super expensive as a lot of my base was powered by me manually replacing poo poo. I was mostly running back and forth keeping my defenses up. The prospect of automating all the stuff to get me out of this hole was too much. I dropped the game, briefly started a new game, and that's that.

Its a super sweet game though so I've followed this thread diligently. I can't comment on exactly how to fix the issue, but I definitely agree that oil presents a too-large jump in the learning curve and that it should be smoothed out a bit.

I started a new game soon after I wrote this.

I can say I like the change to oil. Getting it up and running was a great deal easier than in my previous experience (partly due to me having done it before, plus less biter pressure) and I was able to fit it pretty smoothly into my existing base. Despite having done most of this before, I still spent quite some time messing with fluid mechanics and discovering some good ways to do things. I laid some long distance pipe (using the undergrounds, of course) in what I thought was a smart way-- then I tried to drive through it. So I still have a long way to go in optimizing things.

What I'm working on now is flying robot frames, which need lubricant. So now I'm dealing with multiple resources including one I currently have no use for. Which is a neat challenge, but I'm happy it wasn't upfront with the others.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Duodecimal posted:

That's it then, nothing more can be removed. Excellent. I'm saving the blueprint as Mario's Bodega.

Unless you can remove another power pole.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

What speed/productivity for drills do blue belts become insufficient? Does outputting directly onto a splitter double that?

Does anyone do the technique where you have mining drills point straight into a cargo wagon?

I read that first sentence thinking I was in a martial arts thread and boy was I confused.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How does one prevent biter nests from re-spawning in previously cleared areas?

I had a very nice choke point that was well defended. But I desperately need the coal thats way out there in the open wild. I go on excursions to clear a path, set up outposts with walls and turrets and radar. I'm building a road up there now. But every time I go back there's several "new" biter nests that were not previously on my map.

I've read that nests are formed by biters that go out and morph into them or something. So I guess I have to keep them out? The task is daunting given the area.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Biters have to get somewhere in person to build nests. If they die on the way to where they want to build a nest then no new nests.

One of my goals is to clear then just wall in big areas. When I need new land it's time to expand my curtain wall of walls and turrets.

I was thinking about factorio today at work, and decided I'd stock up on supplies, then roll out to expand by laying down blueprinted defensive elements. Walls, turrets, belt + inserters, and a central ammo chest for each section. I've been manually doing all my defensive work until now and it's lame.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

super fart shooter posted:

One thing I really like about IR is how it's balanced so it doesn't use sheer quantity of resources as an obstacle for higher tech as much... I'm getting into red belts now, and I was surprised at how cheap they were. In vanilla you've gotta set up a whole iron production chain just to feed that, and then you've gotta do like 3 times that for blue belts. Same with science, everything's locked behind more logistical challenges or the newest ore processing thing or whatever, but I haven't felt like "oh god I'm gonna need like 3 new mines to run all this stuff" or like I'm constantly running out, the way I often do in vanilla, so I've spent way more time factory building instead of the more tedious parts of building huge resource throughput

I was thinking about this yesterday. To me the enjoyable parts of the game are in order:

1) Automating stuff
2) Resource extraction
3) Biter hunting

I find only a small portion of my game is actually spent on automation. Lately I've been seizing territory from biters (which requires frequent trips back home to collect more bullets and walls), getting more iron and copper, and trying to keep my solar/accumulator setup ahead of my power use. I'll soon devote a session to getting a modern mall with red belts up and running, and to automate bot construction, and to try and get my yellow science up to par. This stuff is the meat of the game, the rest kinda feels like chores.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

lmao if your busses don't look like this

Good lord

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dootman posted:

Shift+area select with the deconstruction planner will cancel it.

Oh thank god.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

Do you folks go for fortified but isolated outposts or do you prefer to seize an area with a perimeter defense and then build relatively undefended outposts within that zone? Or some other strategy?

I've only really done this once, but it was fun.

I chose my starting area because it was largely surrounded by water and had some prime choke points. My starting settings also gave me lots of resources, so I didn't need to expand much. It meant I left my expansion until it was a bit of an emergency.

My resources were really starting to run low, especially coal. My power was flickering, my plastics were running low. Science production was stalled. And biters were starting to be a serious problem, constantly attacking my base. I could fend them off but my defenses were not automated and my ammo production was limited, so I was spending most of my time running around dealing with attacks. Coal was far away, well beyond my choke point, deep in biter territory.

What I did was stockpile stuff and venture out. Car for long distances, tank for danger areas. I used rockets to clear biter nests, and lots of bullets. I set up small outposts at first. These were very simple: turrets, walls, solar panels and a radar station. The radar was key because I wanted to see some of these attacks before they made it to my base. These small outposts I'd largely just place and forget about. They could last a surprisingly long time on their own unless they were directly in the path of big attacks.

The next step was to clear a narrow path to the coal patch. There were biters on either side, but I didn't have the time or ammo to do a complete sweep. At the coal patch I made a more dedicated fort. Bigger walls, lots of turrets, several radar stations. And importantly, belts and inserters to keep my turrets filled.

From there I put down miners, train tracks and power lines to my main base and got a train delivering coal. Killing biter nests as needed. It was only as I became more established and got my economy running properly did I expand my perimeter wall all the way up to the coal.

It was all very fun!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wallrod posted:

I made a tidy little self sufficient radar outpost that fits around a single pylon

That's cute, I like it.

Inventing these was a lot of fun for me. I'd built myself into trouble by allowing too many biters around me while being severely short on coal (this was before I realized how useful solar was). I had to fight hard to expand my base and little outposts like this eventually proved key. Mine were ugly and disorganized, but had walls and turrets and did their job of preventing more biters from nesting in previously cleared areas. It was fun to furiously iterate designs while working off meager ammo production, flickering lights and non-stop attacks.

I never did finish that playthrough, stopped around when I started space science or whatever. Seeing that makes me want to take it up again though-- I never have launched a rocket.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I got back into Factorio last night, after many months away. I'm still a beginner though-- I've never launched a rocket.

I came back to my base and found it in a sorry state.

Pollution overlapping many biter nests outside my territory, with frequent attacks on my defenses; generally spaghetti throughoutt most of my base; whats looking like a severe shortage of copper as one of my original fields runs dry; wooden power poles, yellow belts, wood fueling my car/tank; manually needing to ferry resources around for various production steps; personal bots but no serious use of logistical bots; poo poo I'm not even automating bot production...

And so forth. I remembered why I stopped: I discovered that space science was a product of, instead of requirement for, launching rockets. I've got hundreds of blue chips banked and the other resources didn't seem too hard to get-- once launching a rocket seemed totally within my reach I lost interest.

But then I played 5 hours last night, and there is so much to do!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've launched my first rocket in Factorio.

56 hours of gameplay, with lots of time spent meandering or idling. It was my second game, my first being aborted around the time I got to engines. My second game I started with a better understanding. I have a bus, albeit a very sloppy one. Spaghetti is terrible compared to the stuff you guys post, but by my standards it isn't bad. Just lurking this thread for a few years has passively made me a much better player.

I'm eager to play more, though launching that rocket is going to absolutely destroy my base. I'd maxed out the tech tree for everything below space science, so my factory was largely idle except the parts to make the rocket. Despite this copper is in very short supply. I saved the game just when I put the 1k space science into my labs, meaning that all my science lines are going to start chugging away again. I expect brownouts, then a severe copper shortage when those are fixed, then multiple other shortages when that's fixed. But at least now I know the solution. I must expand. I must always expand.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Freaksaus posted:

Has anyone been keeping up with the factorio speedruns? Team steelaxe has been doing any% runs for the past few weeks now and they just managed to launch a rocket in 1:04:18. It's a very specific mapseed with huge starting patches and no biters, but it's still impressive to see how quickly a team of 8 people can get to the rocket launch.

Still hoping they can break that 1 hour mark, they've been slowly chipping away at their own best times.

A lot of little things they do can be really useful for early game stuff, the way they set up certain smelters and use boxes to stock up on stuff without letting things go idle is useful even when you're just playing by yourself and want to get out of burner city asap.

I'm a newb, but putting boxes on my lines is something I do almost by instinct. An idling line is dangerous, when it starts back up you can get brownouts and unexpected shortages of things. Keep that poo poo running to better build!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bad at Factorio report:

I was really having a hard time getting my solidfuel up and running, which was really slowing down my rocket launches. I just couldn't get enough heavy oil, and ended up storing vast quantities of petroleum gas and light oil.

Until I realized last night that solid fuel can be made not just from heavy oil, but also from light and petroleum. Once again, I am an idiot. But one that will shortly have a lot of solid fuel.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

That's a much better redesign. Not sure what they were thinking with the first iteration that loomed over everything.

Agreed.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I have a question about updating the game.

I run the game on a windows machine that isn't connected to the internet. I'm writing this post on a mac. I'd like to update the game to 0.18, ideally by just downloading an .exe or installer file to my mac, then USBing it over to windows. I have the game on steam.

I feel like an old man for not being able to figure this out, but I have yet to find a way to do this. Is it possible?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mario posted:

https://www.factorio.com/download -- you can log in with Steam and download the Windows installer.

Much appreciated!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like the glyphs you put in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Looking for a mod.

It grants early game helper robots. The the cute boxy ones that drive around and use lasers to place and pick up items. They beep a lot.

What's this called?