Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
I can admit to spending way more time on this game than is really healthy. Dear lord, the item requirements to make the final missile defence widget are just :shepicide:

To answer some random stuff from the thread:

- A line of 7 boilers will feed 5 steam engines at maximum performance.
- A single water pump will run 2 of the above setups.
- Solar cell to battery ratio is ok at 1:1 but you will want closer to 2 batteries per cell once you get the laser pew-pews going in earnest.

- A single electric mine will feed 2 of the basic furnaces, so the mine to furnace to belt is rather inefficient.

As a general guideline, I highly recommend sticking Efficiency modules (the greens) in all module slots unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise (oil pumps, factories building really important slow to build components). Pollution is directly proportional to the amount of power a widget uses, so less power use = less native unrest. And a smaller solar panel footprint, which is always a plus.

And for those of you who want to be space-efficient and not brain-bend yourself running belts everywhere, for the love of all that is holy research the logistics drones and the requester/provider chest tech as soon as possible. Make blue tech by hand if you have to. You'll need oil to make these babies but they are worth their weight in gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
In this game production stops when you have no more storage. Refineries produce three things, and if its storage for one of those is full it will stop producing. So make it output to to some tanks or something (remember fluids don't mix).

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
I don't really have a good picture of a complete setup but I activated my crappy editing skills to make a thing:

There are variants you can do, but the idea is to have one central belt system with only one resource per belt, and then split off new factories to one side. That way if you need more of a resource, you just pop another fab on the right branch, extend a few belts, and you get more stuff.

Then you can add boxes at the end to stockpile, and then later replace them with provider chests if you give up and start using bots.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014

UberJumper posted:

I have hit the point where i need to use trains, i have consumed all the nearby iron, however i cannot for the life of me figure out a decent way to integrate a centralized resource drop off point. Anyone have any decent designs?

Something like this? Note that I'm using rail signals to run 2 trains, not loading 2 resources into the same train.

Coal use for non-burning purposes isn't typically high enough to justify using trains, so the above station is functional for copper/iron. It's key to empty trains into boxes because then you can take advantage of the inserter capacity techs. In the above pic I'm at tech 2, I believe, and the 5 inserters empty a full car in a little under 30 seconds. It would take ages if you did it onto a belt, even the fastest one.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
You can make smart inserters stop by using a smart chest and the red/green wires. You connect them by clicking with the wire on an existing power pole, then connecting the wire to something else (another pole, inserter, chest). The wire will then sense item counts in all the chests that are connected together and will provide that data to all the smart inserters that are connected to the same wire network.

So if you tell your smart insterter that "red wire signal" should be, say, "iron plates less than 60", then the inserter will stop working once there are 60 iron plates in the chest(s) it's connected to.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Oh my god you can manually drive the trains :swoon: GOTY2014

Don't forget that the rail signals actually* work like real rail signals do. Train sperg taim! :swoon:

* - more or less.

Gotdammy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 9, 2014

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
No, but you can cut your power use by 60 - 80% with efficiency modules.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
Worms will gently caress you up royally in a straight fight unless you have modular armor (or power armor) with a bunch of shields and at least one portable fusion generator. Which costs artifacts to make. :argh:

If it's just one worm, then you can hit and run it /w rockets if you have a body of water where you can catch a bunch of fish. (Fish heal you when eaten) Else you'll need to drag a power line in and kill 'em with a horde of laser turrets.

Both rockets and the flammer will kill spawners just about as dead, but the flammer has the advantage of being useful for clearing out all the goddamn trees :black101:

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
Running around with the flamer and a bunch of follower bots is really the only proper way to do combat. Everything else before that is just there to tide you over.

In other news, I finally got around to actually finishing the game objective (which I hear is a temporary placeholder, thank god).

I like how the game tells you how many and what types of trees you murdered in cold blood. :black101:

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
Biters generally go for things that cause pollution first, but they do have a set of higher priority targets if they can get them (like your logistics bots), and they will munch on anything that's blocking their path (walls, pipes, belts, etc). So while they'll happily ignore your power poles, they are likely to get stuck somewhere in your giant solar array and start taking chunks out of it.

You don't actually "need" solar, really, once you start processing oil. You can easily convert heavy oil, which is otherwise fairly useless, into solid fuel and pretty much never worry about boilers running out of stuff to burn.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
They're full. :D

And I don't mean "64 stack" full, but "enough to keep burning for a bit" full, which is something like 5 coal if I remember right.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
Just wait until you're halfway through the game and decide to scrap everything you have and try to fit it all into the tiniest space possible "because flying robots".

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014

Breetai posted:

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND

This suit plus the combat shotgun with piercing rounds lets me cut through clusters of biter spawners like butter. I went out on what was supposed to be a fuckaround suicide mission and came back with 100 artifacts.

Now realize that you can have the same 8+ lasers firing using follower drones, and use the freed turret space to fit 3 speed boosters and like 5 shields, and out-run and out-tank EVERYHTING.

You don't actually run faster than a car, but it's pretty drat close. :getin:

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014

Hagop posted:

Any one good with train logic? I would like to unfuck this situation using the rail signals. So that I don't have to rebuild anything, but I can't seem to figure the things out.

*edit: Now with travel directions.

Simply place 4 signals per intersection, on the right side of the train. One before the intersection, one after. This will cut that intersection into five blocks - the intersection itself, two incoming lines, two outgoing lines. If the intersection is blocked by a train, the second incoming train will stop & wait.

Gotdammy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 18, 2014

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

Pump oil into an assembler
Add barrels to assembler
Set assembler to "Fill barrel"
Take full barrels out of assembler
transport barrels to destination
Insert full barrels in another assembler
set this assembler to 'empty barrel'
Oil and empty barrels come out.

This (by default) only works with Crude Oil.

And is a ginormous waste of time when you could instead:

- Make a pile of underground pipes and like an electric pump or two.
- Place them.

Biters will happily ignore the power poles/pumps/bits of underground pipe sticking out and you won't have a logistics nightmare on your hands.

Which is kind of sad, really. There ought to be tanker cars for trains and forget barrels entirely.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014

Rapner posted:

Are there any good guides to how to set up the big gorgeous bus driven factories that I see posted here?

I'm trying to decipher them from the screenshots but you can only zoom in so far before everything becomes a blob.

I have a close-up pic somewhere on page 3. It's a bit more convoluted than necessary, but it gets the point across.

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Everyone seems to be all about the efficiency upgrades.

Is there anything to be said for productivity modules? Theoretically they should allow you to milk ore deposits for longer, but with the obscene power consumption they cause, I find I have to sink an awful lot of materials into photovoltaics/capacitors for a modest production line.

Biters hate productivity, too.

Productivity modules are pretty rear end at the moment. They boost your power use just like speed modules (which also increases pollution) and then they dump more pollution on top of that. So you end up with 4 times the pollution in a t3 fab with four prod modules compared to four blues. And more power used. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014
Signals break rail into blocks. A signal leads trains from one block to another. If there is a train in a block, signals leading to it will turn red and will stop incoming trains. If you hover over a piece of track, it will tell you which block it belongs to, and if you hover over a signal it will tell you which blocks it connects.

It seems more complicated than it really is. But keep in mind that if you have even one signal in a system, you need to have a valid path between stations or the train will not run.

EDIT: Looks like I forgot to mark the signal leading from block 1 to block 3. It should be obvious where it is. Block 3 is there purely to hold a waiting train.