Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
anyone have a good map string they've found?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It seems like if you are going to do direct iron to steel you shouldn't do 1:1, right? Waste of iron furnaces?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Has anyone made blue print books that have a single unit of each type of inserter, belt, spotter, etc, and put those on the toolbar? So instead of separate spots for fast, long, and stack inserter, you just have one book and change I serter type by scrolling through the book.

I saw someone do it in a YouTube and just got construction boots, I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Also, is there an easy way to do a quick copy paste of designs with construction boots without making a blueprint and all that? I'd like to be able to set up the first assembler in a subassembly line and tile that without makeing a blueprint for a single assembler and only using it briefly.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm building my first train network, only done simple loops before. Do I need signals along my main stem in between junctions at regular intervals?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I did it gamers

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
anyone have a seed they'd recommend for a no spoon attempt?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks! I don't expect to get close my first time having just launched my first rocket, but trying to do it faster appeals more than building something giant.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Power armor, shields, and enough legs to outrun the biters while you combat shotgun the spawners. Then just lead them back to your base for your walls to take care of, or just run far enough away they lose interest.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Don't go electric furnaces until you go nuclear imo.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
There's a tutorial menu in .15, look there

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Get more nukes then. With enough exos you can outrun the explosion which is fun.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
But you need a blue belt of copper and a blue belt of it on to make a blue belt if circuits. Can't braid belts of the same color.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Unreal_One posted:

One blue of copper plus one yellow and one red of iron gets you there.

Didn't think of that, that's a neat trick.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I want to try Bob's without angels, what all do I install?

Is there a SA factorio discord channel?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I had the same thing happen, I think you can turn it on and off a couple times in the options and it works again.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
How long does it take for a miner to produce enough extra material to justify prod modules? I always go from the biggest consumers down with prod mods, so silo, labs, science packs, circuits, etc, and have never made it to miners.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Is 0.16 worth jumping to?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
They should just makes belts affected by speed beacons

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Having some trouble understanding how to use circuits for the first time.

I want to control my oil cracking by looking at the amount of heavy vs light, and only cracking heavy to light if there is an imbalance greater than amount x. I was planning on using a arithmatic combinator to subtract the value of light from heavy, and then wire that to turn my pump on if that value is below x, but the arithmatic combinator only has one input?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I struggle with turning biters off because military is such a large portion of the tech tree and is a big resource draw so it feels like turning it off kinda unbalances the game in a way but also I dont like dealing with them, they go from a frustrating challenge to a chore with little in between. I often leave them in but turn off expansion so I can proactively clean them out before pollution reaches them in early-mid game and then its not endless biters in late game where getting any new resources requires 100 nukes.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm playing after a looooong break and forgot that I usually set richness pretty high so ore patches don't run out too fast and I don't feel like all im doing is setting up new ones. Haven't gotten too deep into the newest save but yeah big blueprints that stamp a basic mining array over the entire patch, route it to a blueprinted cargo loading station, link it into the train system and that makes it pretty fast all in all but still a pain to go run out and do, especially if it involves clearing a ton of biters in the process.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I thought this was a good video that explained the design considerations for a perimeter wall and an example solution, I've used it as a reference for rolling my own that's definitely not as advanced as this one but references a lot of the design elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Di8oDUGco

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Sooo I'm getting close to launching my first rocket, just waiting for space science to finish researching so I can build the satellite before launching. I want to try and build a bit more of a 'megabase' in this space before moving on, any thoughts on a reasonable SPM target? I'm thinking I'd be a fun change to plan out all my resource draws, build optimized blueprints for stuff etc while my current base builds everything I need but not sure if 250 or 500 SPM or what should be my target, any thoughts? This'll be the first time.ive built something like this, though I've launched rockets in older versions of the game.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've been building the base to a 60spm target if everything was yellow assemblers but I'm still on blue assemblers and haven't replaced belts/added alnes to support the throughput.

Also need to get nuclear going well enough to build nukes or mass produce artillery to clear bites to get bigger resource patches as that's another main bottleneck at the moment.

Is 900ish SPM a reasonably feasible jump from 60? Seems kinda big but I guess once everything is designed it's just plopping more and feeding it all. I wasn't planning on doing a beaconed build but could at least beacon the silo itself.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Hmmmmmm I appreciate all the input and thoughts, I'll launch my rocket, get my current base and layout to a true 60spm and then go from there I guess.

From the numbers y'all are sharing beacons and modules does look attractive, and I guess a more interesting design problem than just slapping down an endless amount of my current layouts.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've started the upgrade process from yellow belts and iron furnaces to blue belts, electric furnaces and assembly machine 3s. Bit stressful figuring out where to fit my newer and much larger smelter arrays but i was able to move some stuff and reorient the smelters and now I think it's all gonna fit.

Blue belts take forever to build with the amount of iron and gears they suck down but slowly working along the base upgrades and should be on track for 60spm once this is all done.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah that woulda made sense, the main issue was length going from 12 steel furnaces per side to fill a yellow belt to 18 electrics a side for half a blue, required some adjusting of spaghetti belts and moving my old steam power setup to free up some space between the start of my bus and the unloading stations.

I'm gonna get my existing base to 60spm and then do a totally new build for anything beyond that so I can beacon everything and move away from working around bad choices from the early game.

Once I've confirmed the base can do 60spm I'm gonna turn science back off and point everything at making all the bits for my attempt at a TBDspm base, still split on something that feels reasonable like 500ish or go for the 900 of a fully beaconed and moduled single silo.

Or just say gently caress it at 60 and start a new playthrough with some mods that add new recipes/production chains without being crazy complex.

E: also just realized that prod3 modules in my silo means I need 3.5 belts of copper vs 4.1 which means I can avoid building another copper unloading station for 0.1 belts which is real nice.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 24, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've been slowly working my way through getting my base up to 60spm, and currently dealing with scaling oil - am I misreading factoriolab or do I really need 24 unmoduled refineries or 9 with full speed 3s???

Also if theres a better calculator for this stuff please lmk, it'd be nice if material flows were a little easier to visualize but its been mega helpful so far.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I'm getting my starter base up to doing 60spm of all but military, currently only got prod3 in the silo and now speed3s in the refineries to get numbers low enough for them to fit in their spot in my current layout without tearing up big chunks. Just going through one science and base resources at a time, bumping up to assembler 3s and blue belts as needed according to factorio labs.

It's kinda annoying, I thought I was putting in assemblers to 60spm but didn't realize assembler3s are 1.25 speed not 1 so I'm having to prune things and also realizing I hosed up ratios in some spots, but it's been fun. Did start stockpiling blue belts early enough or in large enough numbers so it's kinda slow going but we're getting there.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

The Locator posted:

For calculators, I don't really do any planning in Helmod or online planners, I just use a mod called "Max Rate Calculator" inside the game. You can setup your oil, put all the recipes in the refineries and chemplants and then hit the hotkey for max rate calculator, use the mouse to highlight the entire setup, and the mod will spit out the exact inputs and outputs of everything highlighted. That way you don't have to figure out each individual section and add them up, the mod does it all for you and tells you that it will have inputs of crude oil, heavy oil, light oil (because of your cracking) with outputs of those also plus petroleum gas.

This is also helpful for making sure you have enough cracking as you can see how much heavy and light oil you are producing and verify that your input side of the cracking stacks have enough capacity to process all of it.

I'll give that a shot, sounds helpful to see what each section is producing and if im feeding it enough but having an idea of overall consumption has been super helpful as far as x belts of y etc

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
When you talk about x spm do you include military? I initially assumed not and then realized artillery range research requires military (duh), so now I'm wondering if I should add that to my 60 spm base or not.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think thats what confused me, a lot of megabases I've seen are -military and 'infinite research' is just for mining prod or whatever, not artillery. I can support 60spm of military within the overhead of my existing production, so I'm gonna add it in to boost arty range.

I've got biters on peaceful, expansion off, and pollution off as a balance between can't totally ignore the military side of things and need to clear them to expand, but don't have to constantly deal with them. Arty range increase will make clearing them easier, but tbh nuke rockets and a ton of exos has been working pretty good for the last couple nests.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've got the artillery garrison designed and a train that carries all the supplies to build it, now I've got a spider to do my rail expansion I'm along the way to fully automated base expansion.

Bummer the spider is a little too fast to deploy bots as it walks (maybe I need faster bots idk (maybe they're already maxed idk that either)) so it needs a bit of micro to built a long train line.

I also sat down and fixed my intersection blueprint so any non-crossing use is possible simultaneously and made my T intersection and 90deg turn stripped variants of the 4-way so its a lot easier to just blast down and adjust later.

Pretty sure nuke artillery isn't vanilla.

I also want to just bail on my megabase and do a k2 run, might get that going but I'm enjoying figuring out my new spidery toy rn. Maybe k2 with a spidertron to start, scenario being the ship crashes and only the engineer and a spidertron survive.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I decided to jump into k2 instead of scale.my vanilla base and have enjoyed the first two hours or so of gameplay, but man setting up the mall there's a ton of intermediate products to keep track of, even just plates/beams/sticks means I have stuff all over the place. Normally I bus anything more dense than plates, so I guess I'd belt iron beams but not sticks?

It's fun figuring out all the new recipes and production chains and I'm not even to green circuits yet!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The more they share about the expansion the more hyped I get. Normally I turn cliffs down/off but if it's part of the planets character I think it'll add some fun character vs just additional hassle which is how I see them now.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm starting to work on blue science in my k2 playthrough and realizing I threw stuff on my bus I don't really need, like automation cores and blank tech cards. Automation cores are mostly used in machines and stuff so basically no draws after my mall, and blank tech cards might be better made at each science build instead of taking up a bus lane but idk.

Then there's weird stuff like wood that I feel like is worth bussing for a bit (green circuits) but isn't used much after a point.

Trying to get better about using recipe book to see how much intermediates get used to decide vs just bussing everything but uhhhhh I'm not good at it yet.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Oh good to know, I'm also not good at checking out the multiple recipes for things and just go with the first one I find.

Making that change would mean I just need wood for coke and other stuff like that and could keep it all in the smelting area which would be nice.

Base is loving organized chaos rn, as always I don't leave quite enough space in the early game of laying out my first smelters when I go from handfeeding to the start of the bus.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah only one recipe and its wood.

Do you bus electronic components or make on site? I'm working on my red chip assembler zone rn and it looks like elec components are mostly used as machine ingredients but then also red chips and another intermediate or two? Going from 3 ingredients to 1 makes me want to bus to reduce complexity at each build, but there is a cute method of adding a direct insertion to my red chip build so tempted to do that.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I put electric components on the bus and was glad because I need them for military tech cards, and now I'm trying to decide if I bus coke to my biter research area or put that near my coke production and then move the research data to my military tech area? Or just bring the elec components back to the smelting area, make the tech cards there and do a long run to my labs???

In short im enjoying k2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Agreed, the smeltery also being the caster is weird. But I'm really excited with how they're making the planets have unique gameplay loops with how iron and copper need to be extracted from lava and how that means based on different planets will have different vibes and resource flows vs just stamping down a Nauvis base on Vulcanus. Can't wait for this!!!