Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Thanks to the goon who suggested Raymond Scott - Powerhouse for background music, I performed this operation as a public service: http://labs.echonest.com/Uploader/index.html?trid=TRBSWBB145F1D8DB49

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

if you want a basic on/off, note that you can rotate an inserter after it's been built by hovering over it and hitting R.

I use them as cheap on off switches by rotating them to a N/S position in an otherwise E/W flow.

Now of I could automate the rotation of an inserter... :getin:

xarph fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 18, 2014

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Kenlon for next thread OP writer whenever that happens.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

wave your inserters around like you just don't care

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Factorio: Ozymandias was an Amateur

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Shintaro posted:

Factorio physics

Is that a prerequisite for learning looney tunes physics or vice versa?

:pseudo: is pretty much the best way to describe how poo poo is supposed to work in this game.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Drevoak posted:

Oh absolutely. I think I struggled with fluid so much in the beginning because just looking at a pipe and seeing the numbers fluctuate wildly was hard to determine if you werent producing enough or you had too many machines consuming it. Would also be nice to get some kind of logistic fluid pipes that could monitor storage tank levels as well.

Something like the Dwarf Fortress init variable that replaces liquid tiles with a 0-7 number indicating the amount of fluid in that tile. Or just put a colored overlay over the pipes and adjust the opacity based on how much liquid is in the pipe.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I was so enamored with this solar design that I made a higher quality jpeg of it without turrets so it is easier to see what's going on (note that I also replaced some 2x2 turret blocks with more accumulators; if the biters are getting close enough that those turrets matter, then I have bigger problems)

Parts count:

248 Accumulators
136 Solar Panels
16 Substations
1 Roboport

It is 48x48 tiles big. Peak output is around 8MW, full capacity is 1.2GJ.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

I really wish there was a way to save plans between games. Not only could you save your own designs between games, but there should be a way to share designs with other people, so I could just download the blueprint of that solar farm and load it up into my game.

Since they have a dedicated dev for each platform, I think just being able to drag a blueprint onto the desktop to create a lua hash or something is not beyond the realm of possibility. If it were open source I would be tempted to try myself, but for the moment we just gotta let the guys do their thing.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

UberJumper posted:

That is awesome. The turrets are actually lamps, and i am not sure why i have 2x2 blocks of them in the design :iiam:.

Yeah I'm not sure why you would need lamps because at night all the accumulators arcing makes it look like something out of the industrial accidents thread.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

here is an incredibly stupid way to balance a coal belt when you haven't researched anything yet.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Is there a mod or a setting to start a new game/map with all techs unlocked (or even just all red or green techs) so I can just build isengard without working up from banging on rocks with a stick?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Because I am a masochist like everyone in this thread, I really want an industrial electricity mod that models current loss and overload with separate hot/neutral/ground wires. I want to have to design my grid around huge circuit breakers that kill my character if I turn things on in the wrong order.

I want bringing assemblers online to require Procedures that James May would be fond of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Xik posted:

I guess like everything else Wube does, they have well thought out tooling to help with save game corruption.

If Wube was in the enterprise software industry they wouldn’t last two quarters. They care too much.