Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

This looks amazing, cya later free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

How do storage tanks work? I have 15 in three rows, with them connected in such a way that it forms a continuous line, rather than them all being connected to each other. A small pump on each end pipes liquid from one row to the next. I was assuming this would force the "last" tank to have the most liquid (the output), but instead it is the "first" (the input) tank that has the most and the others fill at a glacial pace. What am I missing here?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Has anyone tried the Uranium Power mod? It looks complex enough that the effectively infinite, huge power supply isn't too gamey, and anything that frees me from the tedium of solar panels sounds incredible.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

This game is loving awesome and I have about 1000 hrs in it, but it worryingly seems like the devs are going down the Toady hypersperg development hell hole. There hasn't been a content update in...years? It's nice to constantly tweak everything to get some more performance here and there, but how about another level of production? More interesting biter behavior? Another biome with different resources, which are interdependent and both required to upgrade each other's production lines?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

a gay lion named Tangiers posted:

I don't understand why people worry at all about pollution beyond a purely roleplay standpoint. Granted, I've never done a 1RPM factory or anything, but I just "finished" a factory by launching 9 rockets at once on a map that was set to maximum biter population and density with normal ore deposits (except oil which I set to higher richness because loving hell setting up new pumpjack fields is a pain in the rear end). Clearing out the biters is a chore but defending against them has always seemed really easy to me: laser turrets and a double wall to defend and a robot network to repair/rebuild when necessary, and really the robots are just laziness on my part; the behemoths do tend to start knocking out walls and turrets eventually but not often enough to be more than an annoyance as long as you have enough turrets.

I usually don't even bother with walls. Well, at least the stone ones. I build the walls out of laser turrets.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I like bussing to get started. You need a factory to build enough materials to build your REAL factory, anyways. Bussing is simple and quick so you can get to 8-lane train setups :q:

Also, space is the only truly unlimited resource in Factorio, so use as much as you want!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Marxalot posted:

Does anyone else bus their liquid oil products?

All I can say to this is YIKES but in the back of my mind I'm thinking..."that could work..."

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Build a factory to build a bigger factory

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

vOv posted:

Jesus god. What are you doing with all those green circuits?

Nothing yet, I just can never seem to have enough of them \/:shobon:\/

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Jabor posted:

Look down the bottom at how many resources feed into each set of assemblers.

They all have 4 prod3 modules. It won't saturate a belt, but it comes close and adding more assemblers just creates overhead (oversaturated belts).

Copper/iron each come in on 8 car trains.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Speed modules make your assemblers animate super fast which looks and sounds cool, therefore they are the best modules.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Firos posted:

I managed to find a 32 lane balancer in the end :toot:

I love belts but tbqh there's one thing bots are reeeealllly good for....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

One thing I always forget about, if the belt you're offloading Space Science packs to is full, the Rocket Silo will happily keep "Automatically Launching with Cargo" and it can only store 2k science packs - each rocket you send up with it full like this is completely wasted. I launched about 100 rockets and go no science from it in the game I'm playing right now - that's a lot of materials.

I just put a wire to the output belt and had the inserter for the satellite only operate if there were <7 science packs on the belt (i.e., it wasn't full).