Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

Wolpertinger posted:

but it's difficult to pull them out for other things.

I always plan my factories to have 2 (or three with steel) belts coming in, and the same number leaving.

It's easy to think of the materials as arteries for your factory, you don't want them to stop.

If you ever get it big enough that the factories on the end are starved, you can splice in another supply easily enough, or simply upgrade to red belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

Elfface posted:

Without logistics robots, you can use Smart Inserters to only take certain things, so a chest with three outputs and one input can work. I've been pondering a setup with 'branches' to different mini factories, which then branch off to final products.

The tricky part is, without robots the only way to make the inserters stop is to have no more room. so you still have a big line of stuff.

You can actually do this very easily with every chest type.

Press the big red X on a chest, and you can close some of the slots. Doing this allows you to restrict how many stacks get added to a chest.