Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Neruz posted:

Build more roboports; that's the only way to let them charge.

If you don't build enough roboports they'll slowly starve and die until you are down to the maximum capacity for recharging on your current roboport network.

They no longer die in the current version: I believe in 10.1 they changed it to a far slower movement speed instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Thel posted:

Why not go car->car->belt?

Chests have massive capacity when compared to train cars; the chests act as the main storage, while the car 'smooths out' the distribution of materials from chests. so instead of the chest at the farthest end of the conveyer emptying faster because its section of the belt is most often clear, they all (in theory) empty at the same rate.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SquadronROE posted:

I wonder what a good Factorio playlist would be. Music similar to what is in the trailer.

THIS

In fact, pretty much anything by Raymond Scott.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Volmarias posted:

That's good, but the tutorials really only give the basics of gameplace. People are mentioning things like using busses, I'd love some favored examples of how to do this, or how to manage supply chains, etc.

Here's my latest example of a bus that was both efficient, and also essentially infinitely expandable. Basically simple components form the core of your factory, and branch off to create more complex components. Have a read of the following, and make sure you view the pic in full size so that you can track what's going where and why.

Breetai posted:

I while ago I posted about making a main bus that was just the basic building blocks i.e. every component that couldn't be manufactures by an assembler, or that it would be impractical to manufacture on demand due to how much of them are used (i.e. green circuits). I also posted about leaving a 2-square gap between belts, as this would let you branch components off the bus without worrying about having to alter the belts of any other components.

Its. So. Orderly.

Left to right is steel, iron, copper, green circuits, plastic, batteries, red circuits. I'm manufacturing almost everything in assemblers rather than by hand, and can put down 48 accumulator/24 solar panel groupings and 8 turret & wall groupings using blueprints only. My research/science production is infinitely expandable, as is circuitry and smelting. You can just see where raw copper/iron plates enter the factory at the very bottom.

Also: never bother with creating bus conveyers (or indeed any conveyers) for intermediary objects like cogs and copper wire (green circuits are perhaps the only exception because they're used in so many recipes). Just run the raw materials past and have an extra assembler load the intermediary component directly into the machine that needs it. Eventually you'll be producing them with L3 assemblers anyway, and those practically require the inserter stack size bonus that you get from loading from assembler-to-assembler to keep up anyway. Besides, and additional assembler or two is far cheaper than a row of conveyers, and makes your base far less byzantine.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Spaseman posted:

Is there a list anywhere that shows all of the products that each component is used to build?

I'm rebuilding my base with a bus system and I know that some components are used so often that they really need their own lane but others are only used to create one or two things (like copper cable) and don't need their own lanes.

Stuff that can't be manufactured by assemblers is pretty much what you'd need to go with - that way you can have a smelting area separate from your main manufacturing lines that feeds in 'basic' materials. Steel, iron, copper are the basics, but because there's enough usage of them to justify a constant flow green circuits and in late-game red circuits may also be worthwhile.

I did something similar a while ago:

Breetai posted:

I while ago I posted about making a main bus that was just the basic building blocks i.e. every component that couldn't be manufactures by an assembler, or that it would be impractical to manufacture on demand due to how much of them are used (i.e. green circuits). I also posted about leaving a 2-square gap between belts, as this would let you branch components off the bus without worrying about having to alter the belts of any other components.

Its. So. Orderly.

Left to right is steel, iron, copper, green circuits, plastic, batteries, red circuits. I'm manufacturing almost everything in assemblers rather than by hand, and can put down 48 accumulator/24 solar panel groupings and 8 turret & wall groupings using blueprints only. My research/science production is infinitely expandable, as is circuitry and smelting. You can just see where raw copper/iron plates enter the factory at the very bottom.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I have fully embraced going completely nuts in this game.

Here is my current biggest factory. It's nice, almost everything is automatically manufactured, and fed into a logistics system.

But you know what? It could be better. I've built it up on a bus system, meaning that aside from liquids and a few esoteric recipes that require things like Coal and Stone, these two express belts keep the whole thing fed. I need to go bigger.

gently caress YOU, FERN GULLY, I NEED ORE. STRIP-MINING IS LOVE.

Processing ore on-site is for pussies who don't have adequate dedicated processing centers and then bring in the plates by train.

Eight belts for Copper and Iron. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Trains may be less efficient than blue belts, but getting a set-up like this working is infinitely more fun.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
If you're making a factory with multiple input belts like I am, put one of these splitter formations in periodically throughout the line.

It's a load balancer that ensures that all 4 lanes are contributing equally to whichever lanes are outputting in front of it, which goes a long way towards ensuring that you're not wasting any lanes and that bottlenecks caused by drained lanes don't occur.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Breetai posted:

Processing ore on-site is for pussies who don't have adequate dedicated processing centers and then bring in the plates by train.

Ended up having to expand this processing areas. Protip: if each of the two blocks of furnaces you see there is 14*8 for a 4-carriage train (or 28 furnaces per carriage/Express Belt line), that's just enough to process the full output of the train station given 8 unloading crates per carriage being evenly balanced into each line, with a slight tendency to build up a backlog of raw ore (at about 2/minute/line). (Discounting modules effects, in this case.)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
THE BUS is ready.

THE BUS is an infinitely expandable factory bus that provides every major component and resource that can't be manufactured in an assembler, plus a couple of lines for items that are required in bulk (chips). This is the root system of THE BUS, the factory proper begins with everything north of where it currently terminates.

THE BUS is expandable: here's a detail of how it expands. Materials originating in THE BUS flow outward, materials that become part of THE BUS flow inward, meaning that I can just keep on plopping down more and more assemblers in the same pattern when demand exceeds supply (I'll also balance belts once throughput becomes an issue)

THE BUS is love. Here's everything it provides. Coal, bricks, stone, green circuits, red circuits, sulfuric acid, lube, petroleum gas, and 4 blue lines each of copper plates and iron plates. Anything else is better to manufacture on demand in clusters of assemblers. Liquids are manufactured in a separate mini-factory near my main refinery. I will eventually have automatic assembly of every item in the game, with finished components being dumped into Provider Chests to provide 100% on-demand supply of everything in the game.

ALL HAIL THE BUS. ALL. HAIL.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Thyrork posted:

Welp, this post will come in handy in the future. :getin:

Doing this has been an eye-opener with regards to how easy it is to organise stuff when you've got a good foundation. I've worked on it a bit more:

...and getting full automation of high-demand components is a cinch.

Storage and inserters - done.

All 4 types of smart chests and Steel chests as well, plus blue, red and green Inserters are available on-demand.

Mass Transit - done.

Everything to do with trains is now available, which means that thanks to blueprints I can now pretty much instantly carve out new rail networks for resource shipping wherever there's a logistics network.

Conveyers - done.

Red and Blue Conveyers, Splitters, and Underground Belts, all available through provider chests, and in a nice, compact area. Cog assemblers have L3 Speed Modules to keep up with demand.

Pipes and Engines - done.

Thanks to blueprints laying long underground pipelines is a breeze, and whenever I need more robots I've got a stack of 100 frames for immediate construction (I've decided not to automate robot construction just yet - I already have ~ 500 of each and am focussing more on getting the basics up before looking at exponential growth.

Having the ability to just branch off everything, and having Red Circuits available relatively early in the bus makes setting stuff like this up immeasurably easier. Everything's nice and compact, too, and once I've got assemblers, miners, and power grid components organised I'll be able to completely decommission my starting factory save for the research labs (still have about 10 follower robot research to complete at this stage, plus if future patches include more researchable tech I'll not have to dick around with setting it up again).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Slickdrac posted:

Has anyone thought of/tried any good new challenges lately? I tried the no crafting one and a "linear" one, but those both played out about the same as a normal game with only minor differences. I was thinking about a no belt challenge, where you research directly to bots and then those are the only thing you are allowed to shuffle items around, but not sure if that would be too much CPU/GPU load to handle once the system gets large.

Dirty industry. You aren't allowed to use electric miners OR furnaces, and anything involved in the mining or smelting of metal needs to use burner inserters too. Enjoy coal shortages, massive pollution, and building an oil set-up the size of a late-game oil set-up in midgame simply to provide the required amount of solid fuel to keep your mines going. No solar panels or accumulators.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Found an amazing little mod: Upgrade Planner. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9587

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ambaire posted:

Is there a way to change the color of pollution on the map? I prefer making my bases in grassland / forest biomes and since I'm slightly red/green colorblind, I can't tell where the light red overlay ends on a dark green background. Makes it impossible to tell if it's overlaying a biter spawner. :(

Raise this with the devs on the official forums because they seem to be super open with regards to the development of the game and there's iirc a forum for sbmitting suggestions.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ambaire posted:

Could someone who is fairly late game (most techs unlocked and full logistic network solar etc) with few or no mods post a link to their save and the mod list so I can get an idea of how to make a REAL base? The furthest I've gotten so far is laser turrets and construction bots. Still haven't automated blue science yet. And I keep starting a new game as I learn better tricks.

Edit: Also, what settings do you typically use for a new game and how many times do you remake it until you get good starting resources? I've found myself regenerating it fifty times in a row because the previous 49 weren't good enough.

,phone posting now, but hit the ? Under my name and search for my posts about THE BUS if you want an idea for late game layout.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Get rid of the top middle splitter entirely so there is a gap.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah, from what I can see you have plenty of resource spots nearby, so why aren't you just paving over all of that ugly greenery with your nice, clean factory?

CONSUME

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ToxicFrog posted:

Maybe it's different once you upgrade the shotgun, but in my experience you can nail a biter with the entire shotgun blast and this will have no visible effect on its health. "Two shots to kill a biter" is complete fantasy.

Are you using the purple ammo?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Frankly I've never used combat robots, they seem kinda underwhelming to me. Power armour with 2 fusions, 5 shield and the rest speed boost + combat shotty with piercing ammo + poison caps for the enemy 'turrets' seems to work fine even in the late game.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The game is fun, it's basically feature-complete except for some minor end-game content, and regardless it's structured in a way that means that you can just sandbox a massive factory that takes 100+ hours to build and still have poo poo to tweak. I'd argue that 100's of hours of entertainment is worth a modest purchase price, but some people want there to be a completed end goal and that's fine. Buy it, or don't.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

"completed"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just played my mega-save (THE BUS) from about 6 months ago having not played Factorio since then.

Having to go around and re-jig a bunch of conveyers because of the changes to inserters was a massive pain in my rear end, and changes to blueprints because of turret size is also going to be a poo poo.

That said, the personal roboport is amazing, and setting up small outposts and mining operations is going to be an absolute breeze from now on. Have they fixed blueprints so that they can include modules yet?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Platystemon posted:

How did I never realise that holding shift allows a blueprint to be used even if there are conflicts with terrain or existing structures? :psyduck:

Documentation is in alpha too :-P

Try holding shift while placing a regular structure out of your normal reach.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Khorne posted:

I was watching the 3 hour 45 minute solo rocket launch video and it gave me lots of ideas. It's still an ordeal to do it yourself the first time unless you want to copy something exactly. It's fun though.

Could you link to that? It sounds interesting.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This is literally the thing that will get me to re-install for another couple of months and expand my megasave.

Distant ore expansions aren't going to be as huge of a PITA anymore! :swoon:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Gibbo posted:

Portal sucks anyhow

fight me

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's not the biggest one that a goon has produced but check my post history in this thread for THE BUS. I explain some reasoning for it which you may may find helpful.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ego Trip posted:

Don't you need a win condition for your game to be complete, legally speaking? I remember something like that with Minecraft and the weird scrolling text after you kill the Ender Dragon.

if so, that's probably the only reason this is an early access game.

Whaddaya mean? There's been a win condition since years ago! :v:

Breetai posted:

loving lol

In all seriousness tho, the replacement for that placeholder looks amazing, and while the endgame is going to be refined from 'build final rocket structure and push butan to win game' to 'launch rocket and then transport materials to space to build the final, final structures', it is essentially feature-complete, remarkably stable, insanely fun, and you'll probably have multiple 20+ hour playthroughs from scratch just refining your technique towards building factories anyway, so you may as well get on board because if it comes to worst, you'll just have the opportunity to experiment a lot with your playstyle before the final 5% of endgame is polished. It's like Sim City in that no-one ever just builds the one city and keeps developing it throughout the life of the game - you'll want to have multiple attempts.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Applewhite posted:

So after playing Factorio all weekend I've come to the conclusion that it is, in fact, the thinking man's cookie clicker.

Not saying that's a bad thing, but definitely fun for all the same reasons.

Right now my current quest is to automate the manufacturing of green potions. I've almost cracked it.

Go back and look at this post a month from now when you've got automated robotic production of large sections of factory that you can basically cut and paste at will, and marvel at how simple this task feels in restrospect. :-)

This game scratches the simple-to-learn-hard-to-master itch so well.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I have a factory (look in my post history on this thread for THE BUS) that can construct automatically every object that is required to actually make itself, so technically speaking I could stamp the entire thing out on the landscape in a neverending self-replicating nightmare as long as I hooked up raw material inputs.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, crafting looks simpler, it was the mining that was throwing me, there's a few different numbers there between the furnaces and the miners I can't reconcile.

New question, I haven't looked at any of the bus pictures on the last page yet, wanted to see if I could figure out the idea first. Is this generally it, or if not, what mistake(s) am I making?

As you've surmised, adding a gap between bus belts helps greatly with creating offshoots, however a gap of two spaces is much better than one because it means that you can branch off with a splitter and easily have a horizontally-aligned underground belt to go around your other lanes. Here's one of my pics from THE BUS I posted several months ago in this thread. It's more of a late-game bus (7 belts and 3 pipes!), but it shows how to split off the green chips and also an incoming red chip addition to the bus from the factories on the left.

e: and here's its final form, producing practically every component in the game. Note that I'm using railway cars to better balance the wires going in to my green circuit factories (you CAN go direct wire fac -> circuit fac with inserters, but occasionally due to inserter stack size upgrades you'll get imbalance. Research is done at another base, however.

Also I believe someone asked about belt load balancing?

Breetai posted:

If you're making a factory with multiple input belts like I am, put one of these splitter formations in periodically throughout the line.

It's a load balancer that ensures that all 4 lanes are contributing equally to whichever lanes are outputting in front of it, which goes a long way towards ensuring that you're not wasting any lanes and that bottlenecks caused by drained lanes don't occur.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 2, 2016

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Try something like this: it's not direct insertion of copper, but a railcar in-between aids balancing of wire input to the chip assemblers; just make sure it's only got one inventory slot active.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jabor posted:

All furnaces use exactly the same amount of energy per unit smelted.

Burner furnaces are 100% efficient, and use all of the joules in the fuel for smelting. The Boiler->Steam Engine chain is 50% efficient, and only turns half the fuel energy into electricity.

That said, don't forget that you can also put efficiency mods into electric furnaces, which makes them superior, energy-consumption-wise.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
As much as it's the trains that has me holding off on building more until .13, I just noticed this on their dev blog:

Underground pipes and belts can also be built the same way as poles in 0.13:

This and rails combined is going to make me rack up another 100 hours+, easy. Quality of life upgrades like this will really help eliminate the few aspects of the game that are actually tedious.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mr. Powers posted:

Holy poo poo. I just started upgrading my ore processing to electric and not having to feed coal everywhere has simplified so much. There isn't even a reason to keep it central, I can distribute it to the mines.

I am also almost entirely on solar now. I'm down to two steam engines + accumulators for night time and I've got a chest with something like 500 accumulators in it.

It's possible to never have constructed more than one line of 13 boilers+10 engines through an entire game if you tech judiciously enough

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lowen posted:

.13:

(from the friday facts)

:gizz:

But seriously, I can't wait for .13 to drop; I've been sitting on a savegame that's JUST at the point where I need to start building train tracks, and the new building system looks so good that I don't want to continue until it's available.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's been a while since I've played and given the recent major updates it looks like it's time to while away about 20 hours of my life again. At the current state of modless Factorio, are the default resource settings generally sufficient, or do you eventually get to the point where 99% of your game is finding new mining sites in between stalls?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I made this lovely little factory tonight. I think it's perfectly balanced insofar as once the first level 3 module starts it will continue indefinitely.

To keep it running, however, I'm going to have to basically triple my capacity to build green circuits.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Given how cheap production buildings are my solution to cracking ratios is to use a combination of pumps wired to storage tanks and have more cracking buildings than my oil processing plants can keep up with. This allows you to keep a buffer of intermediary oils for specialty uses (lube and solid fuel) while still ensuring that all overrun is converted to petroleum.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
For those of you who are doing the one rocket per minute thing, what are your resource settings like? I cant imagine churning that much raw materials out of mines using default settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Could someone with one of those nutso 1 rocket/min games please share the savefile? I've a hankering to see exactly what that looks like in action, and I'm pretty sure I could learn a thing or two from looking at sections of the factory itself.