Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I buy this now, will I get a steam key as soon as it becomes available on greenlight/early access or will I have to wait for full release? Or do we know yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Elfface posted:

Aha, I found my huge mess! First factory to make blue science packs.

Not pictured are the two off-screen chemical plants responsible for batteries, several fields of power generators, copper mine a few hundred belt-spaces away from the base and massive backlog hurriedly picked up so the gif would actually be animated.

I keep seeing GIFs like this of this game and that old cartoon "industry/factory/building something" music keeps playing in my head. It's sort of wonderful. :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Breetai posted:

Dollars to donuts it's this.

I'll confirm/deny soon as I get home from work and I can actually see youtube again. (:arghfist::smith:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I'm finally back from work...

Breetai posted:

Dollars to donuts it's this.

It is indeed this I was thinking of, specifically the bit starting at 1m13s. Just loop that in the background Factorio guys, you're pretty much done with the music. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone done any good gameplay video series' on this, by chance? I could use something to watch while zoned out too much to actually play :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Royal W posted:

Arumba is a pretty good player and youtuber. He is doing a series right now with another streamer and they're up to 60 episodes.
I don't know if an LP is exactly what you're looking for, but try this on.

This looks like exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

(edit) Both of you! :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What's the keybinding to put fuel into machines without having to open their gui and do it manually? I've seen it in videos but combinations of modifiers and clicking don't seem to be working (except to take fuel back out).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, didn't realize you'd have to hold it, derp, thanks.

New question, is the game's framerate supposed to be oddly choppy? It hitches for a split second every half of a second or so, from the very start of playing.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 1, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What is a "bus" belt?

I've just started playing this morning and have a single lab automated on red packs and I already feel like I've done it completely wrong.

Also the hotbar is a hot mess, why can't I hit 6 through 0 to use those, I have to drag them to the left hotbar instead :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blast and drat it I wish I could see imgur at work. Stupid "mixed content/potentially adult" rating. Oh well, thanks for all the pics and explanations, I'll look tonight when I tear down what little I have so far and start rebuilding.

(edit) Actually I might outright start over. I probably haven't made much pollution yet, but am I right in understanding that it's cumulative over time, so the fiddling I've done so far leaves me in a slightly worse position vis a vis biters, or is it more about the current total output?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Would turning on Peaceful Mode ruin the ~game experience~ for me much? I'd kind of rather take my time and learn all the right numbers and ratios, than rush to get hamfisted defenses up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ratzap posted:

You could do worse than look at Negative Root's new series for the steam release. He starts with setup options for a beginner and goes through the early game, furnace blocks and a big bus.

This, if you're interested.

Thanks, I'll watch this while I continue to gently caress around.

Question, it looks from empirical testing that I need two stone furnaces to one electric miner, but what's the math to have figured that out from the displayed stats? Is there a wiki with mathy stuff I can look up for this sort of ratio thing when I need it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, crafting looks simpler, it was the mining that was throwing me, there's a few different numbers there between the furnaces and the miners I can't reconcile.

New question, I haven't looked at any of the bus pictures on the last page yet, wanted to see if I could figure out the idea first. Is this generally it, or if not, what mistake(s) am I making?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Improvements on my previous, you all think?

- Added space between each element of the bus, maybe that'll get me something later
- Widened the iron plate bus
- Added iron gears to the bus
- Made a red pack line instead of direct inserting to the lab

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh god i can feel the addiction bug starting to bite he;lp

(edit) Are steel furnaces electric? I'd rather not have to set up more coal conveyors if I can just electrify the things

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 2, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

pisssss

maybe I should set up a separate smelting area so I can cart all the coal to two places then (power and smelting) instead of power and (# of mines) then

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gotcha, I'll have to refine that.

Speaking of needing refinement I fear I may have badly hosed the dog on this one

Lucky it's on peaceful. Time to break this poo poo down and try again :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh hey it's 1130 where the gently caress did the last four hours go

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have elected to start a new map because oh my god sudden bodies of water offscreen are assholes my base is ruined :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ratzap posted:

You can also (in addition to the chap who suggested low terrain segmentation) set it to water only in the start area. That means of course that all your steam and oil work will need to be done near the start area but it does guarantee nice open areas.

I started a new map with both of these options, yeah. So far so much better, except I have to walk a long way to chop wood for more electric poles. How far in do I have to go before I can get different poles and stop using wood entirely?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I'm at work and thinking about factorio, new question. Say I have a four belt iron plate bus; on one side a splitter takes half the plates off for iron gears, leaving that belt half empty (assuming there's no input backlog). (Or, more likely, dedicate that belt on the bus entirely to gears, because god drat do I need a lot of gears.) How do I then re-balance the bus after that point?

Best I can figure is to leave the bus unbalanced until I have another factory that needs plates, take those from the belt on the opposite side, then put two splitters inline on the bus to "rob" the middle two lanes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Moddington posted:

What you're working with here is what I'd term a "naive bus". A bus system that's designed without any specific knowledge of what it's going to feed. Which makes them incredibly flexible, and a great system to center your entire base around, all the way up to launching a rocket.

With a naive bus, there's a couple ways you can use to keep the belts balanced. The first is to take products from the belts in a balanced way, using a splitter setup like one of the following:

This inherently keeps the belts balanced, and if you make sure to take from both lanes equally, the lanes will also stay balanced. The other way is to use a much smaller splitter setup (eg. a single splitter on the leftmost belt) to take a belt of products, and every so often throw onto the bus a balancer like the following:

The one on the left is very compact, but has a bias to it (items coming in on the left or right half of the bus will more likely than not leave on the same half), while the one on the right is count-perfect, but bulky.

What I've done lately is use the first setup, leaving lots of space between the different products on the bus for splitter shenanigans, and a single count-perfect balancer at the very start of the bus.

But a third method is to make the bus a little less naive, which is something I think I'll do for my gear and circuit builds next time I start a new base. What I mean is you'd take a number of belts from the bus, and redirect them fully into the gear or circuit factory. So your 4 belts of iron plates would be cut down to 2, but with the gear factory operating you would've just had 2 belts worth spread over 4 belts, so you're kind of better off anyways. This method becomes even more desirable when you start working with ratios, because you can measure input and output in terms of how many fully loaded belts and completely eliminate bottlenecks with little effort.

Bookmarking the hell out of this post, too. Thanks!

Also that factoratio webapp is insanely cool and I wish I'd thought of making something like it :buddy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the fixes.

New question, how do you work out how many assemblers of each science pack you need to support a given number of labs? Empirically? For that matter, how many labs do you all run with?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 3, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can probably support more labs than I have right now, then. Problem being I'm not quite sure what to improve next, now that I'm back more or less where I was before I restarted. I think I need to improve my iron supply followed by my iron gear pipeline.

Time for a break for a few minutes, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh lord, time to get into oil processing for plastics. This is uncharted territory for me.

Wonder how many ways I can gently caress this up

(ed) Though at least I'm making enough research that I'm just kind of blindly clicking my way through the stuff that needs red and green, so that's good I guess???

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 3, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

aww thanks :shobon:

this game is a disease send help

I'm hosed for copper now, though, so time to get into trains and embrace my inner OpenTTD nerd. I expect this to end in horrid disaster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ratzap posted:

Not so fast sunshine... for trains you must first pass Oil 101, then the Joy of steel works and engines for every man.

I put together a very temporary disasterpiece to get plastics earlier, I'm guessing one of these products that I'm not using yet is how I get the fuel for the locomotives. I'll work that out next.

(ed) And yeah steel production is unbussed at the moment, debating whether I'll actually need that to have it's own bus or not still.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 3, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think he meant the train cars, 'cos yeah that's how I just got fuel into my engines.

Got two engines, one on each end, and a cargo car in the middle on the tracks. Got a train stop at each end, all the tracks are connected, but the train is whingeing that there's no path. Hrm.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, the stops have to be on the right relative to the direction of travel, that makes sense now.

I DID ANOTHER DUMB THING

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

minutes later, the train failed to stop

five were killed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sadly I'm at work so I can't continue my cute-newbie crusade for a few hours :v: I'm excited to, though.

First thing I gotta do tonight is figure out if I want to look into robots yet or not. I have a general idea in mind of how they work but I'm not really sure how to use them, or whether to tear down my current bus infrastructure and replace it with them, or perhaps even spread out some--now that I have the resources, maybe take my current bus-based factory, tear it down into nothing but a smeltery making iron, copper, and steel plates, and link it by trains on one side to mines, and on the other side to various factories run by robots, placed out a few screens so they all have massive room to expand (because who cares about travel time when you have trains and cars).

Then I think to myself there's no reason to do that besides hubris, I have shitloads of resources right where I started. Then I think alternately "so what?" and "maybe I'll start over, installing some mods like RSO, to give trains a real purpose."

this is how madness starts isn't it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

When I was reading logistics bots made sense right from the off but construction bots didn't make much sense--at least, without pictures (work proxy :argh:). I'll have to see an example of them in use to get it.

I don't remember, do train stops or signals need electric power to function? I found a giiiiiant coal deposit a ways out, figure I could set that up as an end-of-the-line for a rail network, but I don't particularly want to drag rail lines AND poles out there.

Speaking of which, there any faster way to lay rail than running alongside and click-dragging a la belts? Especially with respect to 90 degree turns, that was a pain in the butt even only done twice for my copper mine yesterday.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ratzap posted:

And just how are you going to load the train without electricity for inserters? You will be running power out there or make a local substation with some solar+accumulators.

Logistic bots are a common downfall for many factories. It's so easy to be lazy and just toss down a requester and let the bots handle it. For low volume or ad hoc builds - fine, brilliant, lovely. But don't use them for anything else - belts shift stuff faster and more efficiently.

I was about to be slightly snarky and say "burner inserters :smug:" then asked myself about the actual mining part of that plan and welp i'm dumb

Never messed with solar, though, so this seems like a good excuse to figure that out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Two main functions of construction bots:

With repair packs, they will repair walls and turrets (and other equipment!) damaged by biters, and automatically replace anything destroyed.
With blueprints, they can be used to construct your factory without you having to be carrying the parts around yourself.

Neat! Not so much the former because I'm a giant peaceful-playing babby, but the latter sounds neat. So I can make a blueprint of the green-circuit factory and just duplicate the whole drat thing lock stock and barrel? Cool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Solumin posted:

Vertical trains are in fact shorter than horizontal trains. Video games!

So that's why my loving inserters weren't working right. God drat video games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well it's going to be slow, need a teardown or three especially on the oil processing side, and makes me cringe a bit to look at but god damnit I did science 3 automation

Now to go make dinner and let it sit for a while so I can spot the backlogs on the belts

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 4, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looks like my current shortfall with what I have is green circuits, which means new factory time

I'd like to work out construction bots to do that though, which means lubricant, which means...

well, what it actually means is taking down and redoing oil processing 'cos all the crammed-together-ness has screwed my ability to pipe. Rats.

Question because I don't understand pipe mechanics, is there a way to completely empty one storage tank into another or can i only save half of it if I need to destroy it (by building the new tank first and piping to it)?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

You've gotten further than me. I got a small wall factory up and running. Barely. The biters are angry with me, and come in a wave every few minutes.

I did get 32 stone furnaces cranking out steel, but that's a popular hangout with the locals at the moment.

The big downside is that the biter bases they I've find ask have big worms guarding them.

Console yourself with the knowledge that I am a giant sissy and turned on peaceful :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My goodness watching construction bots just go to work and start making whatever poo poo I tell them to is a magical moment

I may have shed a manly, nerdy tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Trying to get green science working. I think you can tell I originally had a lot more duplicate factories and finally got around to removing them since they were just stealing parts from other things.

I know this isn't efficient but in terms of ratios or belt layouts, is there anything better I can do here?

I have decided I mostly cannot be bothered with ratios but there are a couple I feel I'm going to memorize. One of those is for making green circuits; three copper wire factories to two green circuit factories ends up being dead on

I also think you can tear down four of the five iron gear factories serving your red pack production, since gears produce waaayyy faster than the packs do-- in fact, I have two gear factories serving six red pack factories, and an inserter and belt factory, and that's seemed to work okay