Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've been in on Factorio for quite a while now. I stopped playing it for months so I would be surprised by that number of changes and HOLY poo poo am I surprised. The increase in complexity is incredible. I still am not sure how to use trains effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've been out of the loop for quite a few versions. I decide to come back and... now there's oil? And trains!? Oh holy poo poo!

I've taken to watching this guy mess around with it in order to get a handle on all the changes. He's a pretty good watch and a good example of what to do and what NOT to do.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
How the heck are you supposed to use barrels? I've been trying to figure it out but it seems to escape me.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Thanks guys, this helps my massive factory a great deal.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Road acts like a railroad that you can hop on and off of?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Note to self: Do not run after your train excitedly because you might have set it up correctly, especially if it might swing around and splatter you.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The Shortest Path posted:

You turned on autosaves every five minutes, right?

...right?

Yes. Yes I did. And thank goodness for that.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I admit I prefer to have my clusterfuck bases rather than clean efficiency driven ones. Makes the game more difficult for me.

In other mew I finally have a train loop working to bring plastics from one side of my base to the other and return with circuit boards!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Grey Elephants posted:

Is there a way to easily clearcut a forest early on? I got a map with iron, copper, and coal all right next to each other but they're all right in the middle of a jungle, so getting infrastructure around them is a pain in the rear end.

Flamethrower! :flame:

I think I got lucky with a starting position.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Flamethrower! :flame:

I think I got lucky with a starting position.

Big water!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Now that I have oil bases out in the world besides my main factory I've found that loading oil into drums and training it by the thousands to my main base 8th awesome thousands of miles of piping to deal with and I get my oil very fast.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LordSaturn posted:

Has anyone tried this as a defensive strategy? A set of endlessly orbiting locomotives making a sort of :killdozer: moat around your base...
I started on an almost island so I got lucky there but since then I've tried the Rapidly Circling Train method out front of my base.

It worked fairly well until the Big Biters ate my track.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have a small opening in my wall that is very well protected with landmines and turrets. They go for it every single time and every time they never get close enough to even damage my walls. It's pretty nice. I'm glad they never learned how to swim.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh my god Big Biters are a serious pain in the rear end. And I don't mean attacking me, they never get close with my lasers and mines, but I mean attacking an alien base to get some artifacts. I need more to get my fusion engine going!

Also why can I make a portable fusion engine but not a big fusion engine?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There has got to be a better way than this prior to have Power Armor mk2

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Filthy Monkey posted:

Assloads of distractor capsules, and some destroyer capsules? Those are giant bases though. I am assuming you turned the enemies way up.

I did turn the bases WAY up.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've started using a ton of landmines and laughing at the attempts of silly biters trying to reach my walls. I've expanded out into four satellite bases now that bring in my metals and they are all protected by robot-laid mine fields.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

For those of you who think their factory is a rat's nest, I present to you... my rat's nest.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Platystemon posted:

Is there a way to tell construction bots to build something if you don’t have at least one of the building in your inventory?

I've stared making blueprints for things like my solarpanel farms and stuffing a storage chest with what's needed to make several. Once I plop down the blueprint they go gather the stuff and build it.

Edit:

Guys I think I have a biter problem. No really, there are so many now my game chugs. I'm getting maybe 5fps rigght now.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 28, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Baloogan posted:

The dytech mod sucks, made my game stutter like mad.

DyTech really is terrible. The forums suck it's dick however.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Skyl3lazer posted:

25? Ahahahaheaheahehaeh

Yeah even my relatively small factory has about 400 to last through the night, assuming I only get 1-2 waves of biters.

Only 1 or 2 waves? They get splattered by my mighty minefield :black101:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

James The 1st posted:

Do new bitter spawns ever pop up in areas where you already removed one?

Yes, yes they do. I have three forward bases now to feed my metal hungry main factory and each of them remain covered in landmines and lasers as I've had biter spanners pop up right next to them. Just keep your radars going and you should notice new bases before they get too big.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Shintaro posted:

Poison capsules are great for worms. 160 damage each, and worms don't regenerate.

I still have not seen a single Worm. I have no idea what they look like.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Evilreaver posted:

One of these days I will automate bot construction. O what a day that will be, to deploy 80 construction bots at a site and get poo poo done

I had well over a thousand logistics and construction bots when I left my base for my exterminatus. When I returned, some 500 artifacts richer, 8 have almost no bots left. What happened to my little guys?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have successfully automated logistics bots buildings each other. Now if only I could get them to fly when taken out of a box by a grabber.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can they be loaded into a roboport via inserter?
You know I need to try that

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I started a new game and holy poo poo I started on an almost island. There's just a thin,as be eight wall wide, strip of land connecting me to the mainland. The space I have to expand in is enormous too. I share the island with a biter nest, though, so I'm not totally safe. But I'm drat close!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Buses are for sissies who can't handle massive sprawling factories that utilize a complex system of trains to keep product moving.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Phobophilia posted:

Active provider chests. These are the least commonly used chests. As soon as an item goes into them, a logibot will run up to them and pull them out, and place them into a storage chest. They might be good for train stations, so they're immediately cleared out for the next cartload of items to come in.

I never knew this. Goddamn that explains SO MUCH. I need to use passive providers much more often.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was bored last night so I made fifty chests with arms between them can just move iron to the next one down the line until it reaches a conveyor that takes it back to the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have taken a LONG hiatus from this game. Last time I played getting a car was something new. How much has it improved since then and is there a list of good mods?