Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

SnowblindFatal posted:

My previous alcohol experience is a sip from my mum's wineglass when I was 15. I'm going to a party tomorrow and my friends tell me it's the kind where everyone gets super hammered. I'm excited but also kinda nervous. What should I know about drinking alcohol? Is it ok to decline if someone offers a drink?

realtalk: eat something oily beforehand, a can of sardines an hour before makes you absorb alcohol at a more controlled pace as the oil lines your stomach. if you are a pansy, you can also down some milk or whatever. brush your teeth tho

drink plenty of water during, especially with shots. light snacking on chips or something might also help

next morning, when you wake up with a hangover, also eat something with a good ratio of fat/protein/carbs like a bacon sandwich (there's studies indicating this is probably the world's best, if not only, hangover cure [actually, there's another cure, and that is more alcohol in a form of a single beer or something, but you won't want to look at alcohol the next morning if this is your first time - seasoned travellers only]). you might feel like you don't want to swallow anything but trust me on this, eat one of them bitches. it'll either make you hurl and you'll feel better, or it'll make you feel better. and prepare some water near the place you will be sleeping if possible

I would say to pace yourself, but as this is your first time drinking, you won't be able to tell what to do, so that kind of advice is useless really. don't be afraid to turn down drinks if you feel really bad

And if you get super-smashed drunk, have someone check on you when you're asleep.

godspeed, future alcoholic goon

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

StarkWhite posted:

also dont be shy about making yourself throw up. i just did this for the first time in my late 20s and holy poo poo have i been missing out.

the tactical chunder

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Alcohol is alcohol. Your body doesn't know and doesn't care if it came from tequila or beer. If you get a hangover you would have probably gotten it no matter what you drank. Drink whatever you want, it's the amount of alcohol not the type of drink that matters.

not strictly true, distilled alcohol has less impurities than say wine, and rectified has less impurities than distilled. the more impure alcohol, the more it contains of substances called congeners that make your hangover worse. in general, a clear alcohol is purer than a colored alcohol (so vodka > whiskey).

i happen to be an advanced alcoholic and drank pure rectified spirit in the past. gets you almost lethally drunk, blackout, tired as hell the next day, whatever - and no hangover, as this is likely the purest, clearest spirit there is. nothin' but water and ethanol.

this all also explains why wine will give you a sanctimonious hangover if you get drunk on that

though, your body gives no poo poo whether you mix or not, just the amount of alcohol and the amount of congeners

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 30, 2014

• Locked thread