Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

NoMoneyDown posted:

I'm just not feeling ASM. What made Superior so good was Doc Ock starting out by doing things his way, and basically doing villainous things to benefit the city in a heroic way. He was different from the previous Spiderman, and a breath of fresh air. Now we're back to business as usual with the most dry wit ever seen. The entire comic felt like the definition of "the more things change, the more they stay the same". I haven't been involved with current Spiderman for too long, and I know returning to status quo is par for the course, but Spockerman was a huge loss for me.

And I love that they have a side comic that explains how Spiderman's powers work, when

-There's a very very very SMALL group of people who are probably going to start on Spiderman at this point
-Even if they never picked up a Spiderman comic, I think a vast majority knows how his powers work by now

And the extra kick to the gut being the larger price tag, because they have to throw in their lovely new Inhumans comic in an already crowded book.
The extra comic in the back doesn't add to the price at all. Also if a new reader was going to jump on to Spider-Man at any time this year, it would be this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

NoMoneyDown posted:

And I love that they have a side comic that explains how Spiderman's powers work, when

You don't get it someone ELSE was bitten and we never knew about it!!

The whole "secret origin" trope is one of the absolute dumbest gimmicks in comics.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

You don't get it someone ELSE was bitten and we never knew about it!!

The whole "secret origin" trope is one of the absolute dumbest gimmicks in comics.

And we're getting an entire event based around it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

A mini isn't really an event.

The issue was alright. Not really terrible, other than Ramos really and the Spider-Man 2099 part reinforcing that I'll be staying far away from the book. Even Giuseppe Camuncoli was a lot better than he's been as of late in the art department.

Main story was standard stuff, Ramos though was rough, especially whenever drawing Mary Jane. At least the girlfriend stuff won't be dragged out too long. No idea why people keep using White Rabbit though. Silk stuff is whatever, it happens every now and again and I doubt she'll hang around much or get shunted off to mini before being sucked into the void of nothingness like Alpha.

Back ups were alright too, giving Electro a power boost/motivations to match film Electro were pretty hilarious pointless but the Rodriguez art was nice. Black Cat bit was good and it's nice to see Felicia have something to do other than try and sleep with Peter. The New Warriors back up was whatever and the Clash stuff was alright too, though I'm a sucker for Lee/Ditko era stuff and the Perez art was good.

So yeah nowhere near the worst Spider-Man stuff and not even the worst stuff Slott has done. If they can keep the artists (other than Ramos) around it shouldn't be too bad. It'd never happen but a Black Cat series or even non Kevin Smith mini coming out of this would be good.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 30, 2014

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Peter's attitude of "hey wow, look at how great my life is now! Thanks Otto!"

The repercussions of Ock's time are loving nill.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Waterhaul posted:

A mini isn't really an event.

A mini that also has a spin-off mini (Original Sins) and tie-in issues across all of the other major titles? That's pretty event-y to me.

Anyways, do we think that Year One storyline is gonna be butts - and presumably connected to Original Sin, what with that relating to Spidey's origin and all - orrrrr...?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

tenniseveryone posted:

A mini that also has a spin-off mini (Original Sins) and tie-in issues across all of the other major titles? That's pretty event-y to me.

Anyways, do we think that Year One storyline is gonna be butts - and presumably connected to Original Sin, what with that relating to Spidey's origin and all - orrrrr...?

Original Sin is the Marvel event. The Spider-Man/Silk arc is a 5 issue issue storyline taking place within Amazing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Kaine backup was pretty sweet and the Miguel one made me grin from ear to ear :allears:
Peter finding out Dock's been doing it with Anna, and she finding out SpOck was gonna propose is hilarious, but not enough to drop more cash into this.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The Kaine backup was pretty sweet and the Miguel one made me grin from ear to ear :allears:
Peter finding out Dock's been doing it with Anna, and she finding out SpOck was gonna propose is hilarious, but not enough to drop more cash into this.
My first impression of Anna was that she was being weird by constantly sending SpOck a ton of emails and texts and whatnot to get his attention and then makes him dinner the first night they meet. My second impression of Anna is that she apparently knows every inch of his body and could tell he was Spider-Man just from three little freckles about 30 feet away from a news camera. This make it seem to me like she's kind of stalking him since I missed everything in between. :v:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Well she's going to end up being evil that's just a given, she a non-traditionally attractive female in comic books. She'll find out it was Ock in Peter's body and want him back then we'll pick up on the Stunner appearance earlier to reveal the new Doc Ock loving villain Duo Stunner and a Half!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
How is this Anna Maria thing not creepy as hell? How did it hit paper without somebody saying to Slott that goofy romance drama with a lady who used to bang the dude who stole your body is opening a big old can of worms?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Wanderer posted:

How is this Anna Maria thing not creepy as hell? How did it hit paper without somebody saying to Slott that goofy romance drama with a lady who used to bang the dude who stole your body is opening a big old can of worms?
But you see! It works both ways because Ock did that with Mary Jane too! so it's totally okay.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Did they ever show that's the wrong word reference Anna Maria sleeping with Peter before now? Because I don't remember that happening at all during Superior and find that coming out at the end hi-fuckin'-larious. "Oh hey we hosed guess ya should know"

I love that the entire issue is devoted to "Hey here's how everything in Peter's life is pretty well off right now and absolutely everything is going to fall apart very shortly because Peter is not Ock."

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Jesus Christ, you guys were furious Ock was driving, now everyone is cranky Peter is back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is reaching burtle.

I don't see anyone complaining he is back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

^burtle posted:

Jesus Christ, you guys were furious Ock was driving, now everyone is cranky Peter is back.

I think the core issue is less "people disliked Spock" and more "god drat, it's still Dan Slott."

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

^burtle posted:

It's Stockholm Syndrome in comic book form.

And I'm probably among the few that really liked Spockerman.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

^burtle posted:

I don't care if Peter's back. I don't care if Forbush Man stole Spider-Man's costume and is now running around using the identity. It's Dan Slott writing it, so it doesn't matter, it's going to suck either way.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yes if there was anything to take away from the constant Slott bashing it was that people just wanted Peter back.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I was really excited over Peter coming back because I thought Avenging Spider-man would be re-renamed and i'd be able to read Peter in a monthly comic. Then it just wasn't announced ever.

Miles Morales:, New Warriors and 2099, tho. Decent time to be a Spidey fan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the best time to be a Spider-Man fan recently was when Venom was pretty good and Scarlet Spider was running. :smith:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think the core issue is less "people disliked Spock" and more "god drat, it's still Dan Slott."
I finally gave it a fair shot and I didn't hate the idea but light bless Slott is not a very good writer. In December 2012 there was the Sandy Hook shooting, and in January 2013 Slott began writing a character who went into a burger chain and shot up everyone inside of it, then went to a bank or something and shot up more people. That was just tasteless, and there's not a good reason why that had to happen in the comic, even if there hadn't been a mass shooting in the US for the last 10 years.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the best time to be a Spider-Man fan recently was when Venom was pretty good and Scarlet Spider was running. :smith:
Behind the scenes Dan Slott threw a fit because those comics were getting more praise so he used his pull to have them all canceled so he could write the true Superior Spider-Man comic (Because it has no opposition)

(This isn't true at all)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Metal Loaf posted:

I like Bagley; I believe he pencilled Thunderbolts for a while and I liked that a lot.

I associate him so much with the Ultimate Spidey that it was kinda weird to learn he'd been doing art for the main Spider-Man titles in the 1990s, worked on the early Clone Saga and drew the issue with the death of (the actress pretending to be :v:) Aunt May.

Is it fair to call him a definitive Spider artist, along with Ditko, Romita and Romita, Jr.?

Personally I love Mark Bagley's art; I find that he excels at telling stories. I very rarely read a Bagley-drawn book and spend any time wondering what the gently caress is actually happening on-panel, which is something I wish I could say about more artists. Mileage, of course, varies.

My perceptions may be colored by the fact that he was the original New Warriors (v1!) artist and I love that book beyond all healthy reason.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

^burtle posted:

It's creepy both ways when you romance a lady who is fundamentally mislead about your identity,

moreso when she is drawn like a 12-year old.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well I'm glad it only took to page two for us to establish who hates Slott and the book and has no intention of reading any more!

TwoPair posted:

Did they ever show that's the wrong word reference Anna Maria sleeping with Peter before now? Because I don't remember that happening at all during Superior and find that coming out at the end hi-fuckin'-larious. "Oh hey we hosed guess ya should know"

I love that the entire issue is devoted to "Hey here's how everything in Peter's life is pretty well off right now and absolutely everything is going to fall apart very shortly because Peter is not Ock."

It being Marvel, and especially after the Chameleon stuff, you can wait another week or so (maybe less) and there will be a statement of how they didn't actually sleep together and you're gross for thinking that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

No I'm fairly sure it happened. I don't have the exact issue, but it happens during a date where they go to a Planetarium. They basically have a discussion about not getting hung up on things and just going with the flow.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Well I'm glad it only took to page two for us to establish who hates Slott and the book and has no intention of reading any more!

Yes people who want to know what's going on with spider-man and not monetarily reward Marvel for keeping Slott on read the Spider-Man thread. Mostly in hopes of hearing that Slott was overcome by the need to only write independent original characters for Image or got his time consuming dream job of writing Dr Who or is abandoning comics to pursue his dream of professional line dancing.

Or maybe I just want to hear how he'll scramble to stay on his unsinkable boat again when marvel goes for another shake up "Spider-man is taken over by uh, um... the Hypno Hustler, that means I get to stay on because I'm not really writing Spider-man anymore!"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SirDan3k posted:

Yes people who want to know what's going on with spider-man and not monetarily reward Marvel for keeping Slott on read the Spider-Man thread. Mostly in hopes of hearing that Slott was overcome by the need to only write independent original characters for Image or got his time consuming dream job of writing Dr Who or is abandoning comics to pursue his dream of professional line dancing.

Or maybe I just want to hear how he'll scramble to stay on his unsinkable boat again when marvel goes for another shake up "Spider-man is taken over by uh, um... the Hypno Hustler, that means I get to stay on because I'm not really writing Spider-man anymore!"

I will give you spoilers. Dan Slott is going to continue to write as he always does, this won't change. He's also going to be on the book for another year and Marvel feel no need to toss him because the book is selling consistently well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Isn't it Marvel's best selling book by far?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It's not their best selling book overall but it is the most consistent. It stays in the top 10 along with event books/.NOW issues and new #1s despite having multiple issues a month and Amazing Spider-Man #1 had 500,000 copies reserved by retailers. Whether it sells that many is still to be seen but even if only sells half it will completely eclipse even its closest competition.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I'm pretty sure Amazing #1 will sell like wheathotcakes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's almost like most people will buy Spider-Man when it is the only "real" Spidey book on the market, no matter who is writing it, or something.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

I finally gave it a fair shot and I didn't hate the idea but light bless Slott is not a very good writer. In December 2012 there was the Sandy Hook shooting, and in January 2013 Slott began writing a character who went into a burger chain and shot up everyone inside of it, then went to a bank or something and shot up more people. That was just tasteless, and there's not a good reason why that had to happen in the comic, even if there hadn't been a mass shooting in the US for the last 10 years.
Behind the scenes Dan Slott threw a fit because those comics were getting more praise so he used his pull to have them all canceled so he could write the true Superior Spider-Man comic (Because it has no opposition)

So because a school shooting happened, there should be no shooting or guns in comics at all? That's a stretch.

Aren't comics usually done 4-6 months ahead of release? That's why sometimes pop culture references feel dated especially when it comes to fads.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Should I get the Roger Stern omnibus? I've heard it's meant to be good.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

Roger Stern has a very strong run on Spider-Man and wrote some of my favorite stories. The Hobgoblin mystery kind of became a clusterfuck after he left because every writer had a different idea on who the Hobgoblin was. And Stern sure as hell didn't help make it any better with that lovely Hobgoblin Lives mini in the late 90s.

But his work on Spidey is still very, very strong.

I gave the online shop the wrong loving address so my omnibus is delayed but I've read his run before and I'd highly recommend it.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

Peter's attitude of "hey wow, look at how great my life is now! Thanks Otto!"

The repercussions of Ock's time are loving nill.

I mean gently caress Slott but did you just skip the pages with the girlfriend, Electro, JJ, and Black Cat?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Vishass posted:

I mean gently caress Slott but did you just skip the pages with the girlfriend, Electro, JJ, and Black Cat?

And the job? Basically the whole issue?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Metal Loaf posted:

Yes. After Stan Lee it's the definitive Spider-Man as far as I'm concerned.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to read Marvel in the 80s. What an incredible collection of runs on so many characters.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

So because a school shooting happened, there should be no shooting or guns in comics at all? That's a stretch.

Aren't comics usually done 4-6 months ahead of release? That's why sometimes pop culture references feel dated especially when it comes to fads.
I don't understand why there had to be a mass shooting in a public setting at all. This is different than Punisher mowing down a bunch of gangsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Flameingblack posted:

It looked like Massacre was pulled right out of a Batman comic during his grittiest, most grimdark era and had the concept with Azreal or Hush as Batman deciding to pull the trigger and kill Joker.
For what it's worth it was Azrael-as-Batman's decision to kill a mass-killing villain named Abbatoir that forced Bruce Wayne to use like Caribbean healing magic/mutant telepathy to come back as Batman.

This is a small thing to complain about, but I found it jarring that in the exact same issue we saw:

a) An explicit statement that Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider "thirteen years ago" (2001)
b) Scenes of a dude filming Spider-Man's first public appearance with his iPhone (2007) to post on YouTube (2005)
c) 80% of the people in that backup were drawn to look straight out of 1961

I get it, and in ten years when they reprint this somewhere it won't matter because everyone would have had streaming video and smartphones "thirteen years ago" but it still struck me as odd.

• Locked thread