Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey I've got a random Spider-Man question: What's the deal with Chameleon's face? Is there a reason it's white and has a snake nose? Is that a mask? What's the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey I've got a random Spider-Man question: What's the deal with Chameleon's face? Is there a reason it's white and has a snake nose? Is that a mask? What's the deal?

I think it's a mask that's like an image inducer kind of thing. He's not a literal shapeshifter.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Edge & Christian posted:

c) 80% of the people in that backup were drawn to look straight out of 1961

I assumed this was deliberate and think it was kinda cool. Like obviously the timescale has slid and we can have people with technology that didn't exist in 1962 be around Spidey's origin, but to show how this story legit takes place within Amazing Fantasy #15, everyone but our new inserted character looks straight out of that older time period. It was jarring but in a good way, I thought.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

I don't understand why there had to be a mass shooting in a public setting at all. This is different than Punisher mowing down a bunch of gangsters.

I don't either.

But in the comics far worse happens all the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not really an excuse and they are usually dumb too.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Lobok posted:

Yes. After Stan Lee it's the definitive Spider-Man as far as I'm concerned.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to read Marvel in the 80s. What an incredible collection of runs on so many characters.

It was glorious. Stern and Mantlo on Spider-Man, Stern on Avengers, Simonson on Thor, Byrne on FF, Micheline and Layton on Iron Man, classic Claremont on X-Men, Miller on Daredevil.. Hell, even the outright crassly commercial Secret Wars was stupid fun. They took chances on weird concepts (Generic Comic Book, Fumetti Special, No Prize Book, Asst Editors Month) and awesome properties (Transformers, GI Joe, A-Team, Micronauts), and even did kid's comics right (Star!). Shooter may have been a douche at times, but man did he know how to run that company.

And Spider-man was just fantastic... even when DeFalco took over...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, you've sold me. I've sent off for a copy of the Stern omnibus.

Probably neither the time nor place, but from that same era, how is Mantlo's run on Hulk? The only Hulk I've read is the first half of PAD's run.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheJoker138 posted:

His face would be an animated version of a wig stand. A very blank face with only vague impressions of the features. The same kind of face he would later give The Question, but white. When Chameleon was first created he was a master of disguise, switching between and using a combination of masks and wigs he had on him. Only later or in adaptations did he get powers or gadget help.

It ties in with one of the motifs you find in a lot of Ditko characters, that being false or blank faces. Gas/smoke being another. Green Goblin, Big Man, Crime Master, Mysterio, Chameleon, The Looter. And that's just his Spider-Man villains.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Dacap posted:

I think it's a mask that's like an image inducer kind of thing. He's not a literal shapeshifter.

Well first it was masks, then it was an image inducer belt like the '90s series, then he became an actual shapeshifter somehow, then post-OMD he was back to masks and now he's a shapeshifter again.

He's my favorite Spidey villain if only because, Norman aside, he's one of the only ones who seems (well seemed) intent on loving with Spider-Man on a deeply personal and emotional level as opposed to just doing villain scheme things.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So is it a mask or is his face just naturally mannequin style?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

TheJoker138 posted:

So is it a mask or is his face just naturally mannequin style?

Most of the time it's just a mask, every once and a while somebody decides to portray him as so crazy/dedicated that he mutilated his face for the sake of being able to use more realistic masks when impersonating people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some dude just bought twenty copies of Amazing #1. I don't even know what the gently caress.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Some dude just bought twenty copies of Amazing #1. I don't even know what the gently caress.

I'm gonna go to Ebay and be rich, I tell ya! rich!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm gonna go to Ebay and be rich, I tell ya! rich!

Not if I beat him to it!

I mean, it's still in stock at Diamond. I can get 100 copies right now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

There was this story this past week about a local shop putting up Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 (the OG) for sale and this story mixed with what you posted and for a moment I was like "WHO IS THIS loving MILLIONAIRE?"

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I literally cannot comprehend how people are taken in by the constant issues 1s in 2014.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PoshAlligator posted:

I literally cannot comprehend how people are taken in by the constant issues 1s in 2014.

They seem to think that #1's value going up is decided by random chance.

So even if they think it will bust eventually they might hit.

If they understood why they don't hold the value like they did it would probably die out as a practice.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

PoshAlligator posted:

In fairness some are worth something like the Snyder/Capullo Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Starsnostars posted:

I bet some of surprise hits might be worth something in the vext few years. Like Hawkguy #1 or Ms Marvel #1. I know the very first issue of Ultimate Spider-Man was worth a good chunk for a while. But as a general rule, if they print half a million copies of it, it won't every be worth more than the cover price.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Edge & Christian posted:

a) An explicit statement that Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider "thirteen years ago" (2001)
b) Scenes of a dude filming Spider-Man's first public appearance with his iPhone (2007) to post on YouTube (2005)
c) 80% of the people in that backup were drawn to look straight out of 1961

It's a StarkPhone and it's StarkTube, both which - thanks to salvaged Kree tech - were invented 10 years earlier than IRL. See, solved! :D

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Considering there's more than 500,000 copies out there now, Spidey #1 is probably the most worthless of any comic on the stands right now (appreciation wise I mean).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Starsnostars posted:

Is that one actually worth anything? I see it on eBay for 3 bucks. First printing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If I can't get Grant Morrison then please put Hickman or Zeb Wells or Joe Kelly on the book please.

Oh and no more Ramos please. But more because of time for change. I thi N k he gets undeserved hate. Let's go with someone else...I dunno...let's say Immonen or Copiel or...JH Williams or whatever. Go artsy or something.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 3, 2014

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Who's the artist who did the recent marvel Knights Spider Man because that was awesome.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gatts posted:

If I can't get Grant Morrison then please put Hickman or Zeb Wells or Joe Kelly on the book please.

Oh and no more Ramos please. But more because of time for change. I thi N k he gets undeserved hate. Let's go with someone else...I dunno...let's say Immonen or Copiel or...JH Williams or whatever. Go artsy or something.

Wells writing with Allred drawing is my current dream Spider-Man book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They could even have one of those celebrity name fusions, like Wellred.

Can't find the quote, but I remember Morrison saying he'd be a bad fit for Spider-Man.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

Wells writing with Allred drawing is my current dream Spider-Man book.

God, no. I love Allred as much as anyone else but Spider-Man would not be a good book for him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

They could even have one of those celebrity name fusions, like Wellred.

Can't find the quote, but I remember Morrison saying he'd be a bad fit for Spider-Man.

He can work and do something amazing but it means pushing Spider-man into areas the fanboys probably wouldn't be comfortable with and taking him somewhere else. Not a bad fit, he can do great things, he just needs to think it through, but it won't be accepted because its not what people would be used to. Like the whole "lol totems, wtf?" poo poo. Like, finally some writer does something different and interesting, however flawed, but its lambasted because it isn't single Parker luck Spider-man fighting street level crime and cracking wise like I'm used to.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Morrison said back when he was doing his Marvel work that he just didn't have anything to say with or about Spidey.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gatts posted:

He can work and do something amazing but it means pushing Spider-man into areas the fanboys probably wouldn't be comfortable with and taking him somewhere else. Not a bad fit, he can do great things, he just needs to think it through, but it won't be accepted because its not what people would be used to. Like the whole "lol totems, wtf?" poo poo. Like, finally some writer does something different and interesting, however flawed, but its lambasted because it isn't single Parker luck Spider-man fighting street level crime and cracking wise like I'm used to.

No he just doesn't want to do it, stop making dumb excuses.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really want Zeb Wells to take over, but if he gave up Elektra for his other work then I just can't see him committing to comics.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God, no. I love Allred as much as anyone else but Spider-Man would not be a good book for him.

The only thing he'd have to work on is the sense of speed Spider-Man has, which doesn't really come across in any of his work I've seen. His action would have to be a bit more dynamic. But I could deal with that not being perfect just for the tone his work sets.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He did a super good Untold Tales of Spider-Man annual back in the day, but it was probably helped by it being a sixties-set story that really suited his style.

Spidey makes a webbing bow tie!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Morrison said back when he was doing his Marvel work that he just didn't have anything to say with or about Spidey.
I believe he also said something to the effect that he finds Spider-Man depressing since Peter's life will always be hosed up somehow and the character is counter to a lot of what he likes to say through superhero stories.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Though dated now (in a good way) Marvel Boy was a teenaged superhero with bug-based powers in his own right that was Morrison's attempt to revamp Spider-Man for the early 21st century.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Gatts posted:

Yeah, I really really enjoyed the JMS run. It got more and more off the rails towards the end but it was still a lot of fun. Who was writing when Peter became a high-school science teacher in a bad part of town? I feel like that will always be my idea of what adult Peter Parker would do for a living.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
That was part of the JMS run. (It was a favorite of mine, too.) I liked that his writing was true to the sort of, what, wiseass blue collar Spidey thing while at at the same time forcing Peter to grow up in a lot of ways.

I also think he nailed how May would react to finding out about Spider-Man. Such a shame they rolled that back because it just played out perfectly.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I really want Zeb Wells to take over, but if he gave up Elektra for his other work then I just can't see him committing to comics.

Lord I know. The art is amazing, I can only dream of what they could have come up with.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

atomicgeek posted:

That was part of the JMS run. (It was a favorite of mine, too.) I liked that his writing was true to the sort of, what, wiseass blue collar Spidey thing while at at the same time forcing Peter to grow up in a lot of ways.

I also think he nailed how May would react to finding out about Spider-Man. Such a shame they rolled that back because it just played out perfectly.

Speaking of nailing Spider-Man, the one guy who wrote Spider-Man stuff that, looking back, seems way way off: Erik Larsen.

I like his art (except that he can't draw the Hulk, at all), and his (artistic) approach to Peter/MJ/Ock are all fantastic. But his writing approach seemed to miss the intent of the classic books he was going for.

When he brought back the Sinister Six (with new member... Gog?), his idea was to give everyone in the Six big guns. I know that was the style at the time, but it was just too thick with mindless crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That panel is so incredibly 90s.

• Locked thread