Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't know what's more embarrassing, Hobgoblin's nonsense gunhammers or that Solo was involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Doc Ock's tentacles holding guns makes me feel very :3: for some reason.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't know what's more embarrassing, Hobgoblin's nonsense gunhammers or that Solo was involved.

Nothing will ever be more 90's than a panel of Solo jumping through a plate glass window firing two pistols. All while shouting out " While Solo lives, TERROR DIES!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Nothing will ever be more 90's than a panel of Solo jumping through a plate glass window firing two pistols. All while shouting out " While Solo lives, TERROR DIES!"

Make it Solo and Cardiac and it'll be more nineties.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Given that I was like 5 or 6 at the time, that cover is everything I understand and love about comics. I can't look at it without smiling.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

atomicgeek posted:

That was part of the JMS run. (It was a favorite of mine, too.) I liked that his writing was true to the sort of, what, wiseass blue collar Spidey thing while at at the same time forcing Peter to grow up in a lot of ways.

I also think he nailed how May would react to finding out about Spider-Man. Such a shame they rolled that back because it just played out perfectly.
I think history is going to really remember JMS's run pretty poorly which is fair, but also a shame. A lot of stuff like Sins Past can go gently caress itself, but there was still some good in that run, especially around Civil War. JMS really did a great job selling why Peter unmasking makes sense for the character. May reminding him that he made a lot of the decisions about what Spider-Man was as a child made sense. His handle of the family unity of Pete, May, and MJ was also really great.

In general, I really loved where Pete seemed to be going around Civil War. The notion that Peter needed to grow up and live up to his potential beyond just being Spider-Man made sense. And it seems to have become this new trope that Marvel will circle around, but not necessarily really move forward with. His bromance with Tony was wonderful even if I could have done without Iron-Spider. I was sincerely excited for where Marvel was going to go with Peter. And I know complaining about One More Day is silly at this point, but it was a bummer.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 5, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think history is going to really remember JMS's run pretty poorly which is fair, but also a shame. A lot of stuff like Sins Past can go gently caress itself, but there was still some good sin that run, especially around Civil War. JMS really did a great job selling why Peter unmasking makes sense for the character. May reminding him that he made a lot of the decisions about what Spider-Man was as a child made sense. His handle of the family unity of Pete, May, and MJ was also really great.

In general, I really loved where Pete seemed to be going around Civil War. The notion that Peter needed to grow up and live up to his potential beyond just being Spider-Man made sense. And it seems to have become this new trope that Marvel will circle around, but not necessarily really move forward with. His bromance with Tony was wonderful even if I could have done without Iron-Spider. I was sincerely excited for where Marvel was going to go with Peter. And I know complaining about One More Day is silly at this point, but it was a bummer.

100x better than Slott's fart jokes, a weird unnatural scene where Pete and MJ laugh at him asking to move in, and then him magically getting a job at a science place because he can make up a complex equation while trying to switch a machine off or something.

Just reading Big Time. Not feeling it.

Got that and Spider-Island super cheap from Comixology.

Spider-Man's stuff is the best thing about Civil War.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't think JMS is going to be poorly remembered. I think a lot of the poo poo people hate Slott/Marvel for rolling back were added by JMS. And while I dropped Sins Past with disgust and regret, at least there is a realistic editorial reason for it being a lovely story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair, JMS's original idea was kind of dumb as it was like it was directly from a lovely soap opera.

Still my favorite SM run by far.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Look just... let me have this excuse. I need it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

PoshAlligator posted:

That's when I started reading Spider-Man again (I heard he de-masked on the regular news) and went back and read all the Civil War Spider-Man stuff (Started just after House of M and quit at OMD). It's been since 2007 since I've read those comics, but I remember having more fun reading those than I did any spider-man since, other than the rare things like The Gauntlet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JMS did a lot of stupid stuff but he also did a lot of really good stuff. It was never going to last but "Peter becomes a teacher" is by far and away the most appealing 'job' Peter has ever had as a character, I think, if not from a logical perspective than just a "this makes sense for where the character will end up" perspective.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

JMS did a lot of stupid stuff but he also did a lot of really good stuff. It was never going to last but "Peter becomes a teacher" is by far and away the most appealing 'job' Peter has ever had as a character, I think, if not from a logical perspective than just a "this makes sense for where the character will end up" perspective.

Agreed. You know where his run went awry? When JR Jr left. That's when poo poo went off the rails.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno posted:

Agreed. You know where his run went awry? When JR Jr left. That's when poo poo went off the rails.

Daps

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, I'm prepared to agree with that. I'd not been paying attention to the comics for years, thanks to Howard Mackie, and JMS's Spider-Man got me back in. I don't even mind Ezekiel and Morlun that much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like it when Spider Man hit the bad person.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

PoshAlligator posted:

100x better than Slott's fart jokes, a weird unnatural scene where Pete and MJ laugh at him asking to move in, and then him magically getting a job at a science place because he can make up a complex equation while trying to switch a machine off or something.

It's really interesting how two people can do stories about Peter finally getting recognition as a genius and getting a tech job, and just how far apart those two stories can be.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

PoshAlligator posted:

Got that and Spider-Island super cheap from Comixology.

Man Slott has had a lot of dumb stuff but I don't think even he has had something as dumb as Peter getting paranoid because Iron Man knows about his Spider-Sense or having Tony and Peter break the fourth wall to call the audience dumb nerds.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Waterhaul posted:

Man Slott has had a lot of dumb stuff but I don't think even he has had something as dumb as Peter getting paranoid because Iron Man knows about his Spider-Sense or having Tony and Peter break the fourth wall to call the audience dumb nerds.

I'm gonna have to stop you right there if you're gonna start mocking that scene that was a shot at pedantic nerds who wanna know how someone mended a broken bone when her husband is best friends with like 9 super scientists.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Classtoise posted:

I'm gonna have to stop you right there if you're gonna start mocking that scene that was a shot at pedantic nerds who wanna know how someone mended a broken bone when her husband is best friends with like 9 super scientists.

Nah I'm mocking the fact that JMS got in a strop because he obviously forget her arm was broken and did his usual whining when people called him out on it so had to include that scene in the book. At least Slott keeps his complaining to twitter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Nah I'm mocking the fact that JMS got in a strop because he obviously forget her arm was broken and did his usual whining when people called him out on it so had to include that scene in the book. At least Slott keeps his complaining to twitter.

Who wrote the issue of Spider-Man where the last scene was a reveal of Mary-Jane surrounded by references to Mephisto's deal saying "it's magic, you don't have to explain it?" Because that was infinitely worse than the JMS thing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I think you're making that page sound a lot more mean spirited than it was. I felt like JMS was making fun of himself more than anything.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I thought that whole page was great. It's a little "Oops I forgot to explain this" and a little "loving christ it's a comic book do I have to show one of the healer mutants or super science doctor kits every time someone gets hurt or can we just accept that they are running around doing that stuff off panel."

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think you're making that page sound a lot more mean spirited than it was. I felt like JMS was making fun of himself more than anything.

I'd accept it as just a very dumb joke if the norm wasn't JMS throwing hissy fits all the time when he gets called out on things.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

The Spider-Sense stuff was done in Iron Man's title and not written by JMS.

I'd say Slott's first BND story with the first page being Peter macking with some random girl was trolling fans pretty hard as well.

Comic writer throws hissy fit can pretty much be applied to every comic writer.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Spider-Sense stuff was done in Iron Man's title and not written by JMS.

Actually...

(Amazing Spider-Man 534 by JMS + Ron Garney)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Edge & Christian posted:

Actually...

On the one hand, I do like that that page because it's a well written piece to move along the central narrative that JMS wanted to work with. Namely that Peter is smart enough to figure something out and is being paranoid about how much information others have on him. From that point of view it's good. (NOTE, I'm not saying JMS's take on Civil War was good. I thought it was really tiresome him making the Pro Reg side into the ultimate evil boggeymen and to do so, they had to make them all evil.)

On the other hand, Peter you are a dumb rear end. "No one knows about my Spider-sense but May and MJ." HORSE poo poo! I can pick up any Stan Lee issue of Amazing from the 60's and I'll find a number of pages of you telling villains all your powers and how they work. Daredevil being blind was a better secret than your Spider-Sense.

The thing about JMS's run that got me (apart from the occasional hissy fit he seemed to throw around Civil War.) was he wanted Spider-man to work alongside the Avengers and how he could contribute to them. That's cool, I approve of this.
And he decided to use BMB's New Avengers line up to do so, wonderful. They were the Avengers at the time, it makes sense. Okay the Sentry was off the table because no one was sure what the deal with him so he sat out the Amazing stories. That's fine, other writers did the same.
What did kill me though was he would have Wolverine show up in the Avenger's meetings and act like an rear end hole to Spidey and either get smacked out of windows or verbally torn a new one by Aunt May. Right you don't like the guy, fine. That's lovely but fine.
But he didn't even have the stones to show that Wolverine was a part of the team and would you know help the Avengers save the world. Like during the Hydra Arc with the evil Avengers, Wolverine shows up in the pre and post fight scenes, but JMS makes it look like Wolverine actually doesn't go into battle with the Avengers. He makes it seem like Wolverine is just sponging off the Avengers and using Avengers tower to pick up mutant chicks and drink booze and nothing else.

And that is what I found really lovely. It's one thing to not like a character. But going out of your way to make him seem lovely at his job too? That's like Garth Ennis levels of bad.
Say what you will about Dan Slott,, even when he uses other character's in cameo's, he at least shows them being heroic. Sure his Avengers had to be not competent enough to immediately spot Spider-man was Doc Ock*, but he would at least show that the Avengers were busy fighting Spider-slayers or Goblin Island spider-soldiers or masses of super villains and not just have them all pass out as drunk.

* = And really it's not their purpose in the story. The Doc Ock story was never going to be resolved by "the guest stars instantly figure out something is wrong and end the dramatic tension."

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Edge & Christian posted:

Actually...

Come on Peter, Spider-man being able to sense danger would be obvious to anyone that teams up with him as often as Iron Man.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 6, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kainser posted:

Come on Peter, Spider-man being able to sense danger would be obvious to anyone that teams up with him as often as Iron Man.

Doesn't that story feature a hit man that falls asleep (with an alarm triggered to something) in order to get the jump on Spider-Man because even a loving hit man knows that Spidey can tell when danger's coming?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Plus, the original Secret Wars was one of the first comics I ever read and he tells every hero in the room about his Spider-Sense at least twice that I can think of. It is not a secret.

Of course, he couldn't be expected to read the entire Spider-Man canon in however long he had to prep for the book, but you'd think there's at least one editor who's as nerdy as I am.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Didn't they actually have a conversation about his Spider-Sense literally two issues before that?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kainser posted:

Like 37 people know he has a Spider-Sense. The Green Goblin (Norman) even came up with a gas that nullified it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Look Peter has had a lot of concussions okay? The guy is lucky if he can keep his days of the week and colors straight.

I mean remember when he thought he was Doc Ock for a bit?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?186433-Updates&p=1085778&infinite=1#post1085778

Some unused concept art for Spidey. Ahahahah.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He would so have his ipod wired into his suit.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SirDan3k posted:

Look Peter has had a lot of concussions okay? The guy is lucky if he can keep his days of the week and colors straight.

I mean remember when he thought he was Doc Ock for a bit?

So you're saying Brand New Day is basically the "gas leak year" of Spider-Man?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Like 37 people know he has a Spider-Sense. The Green Goblin (Norman) even came up with a gas that nullified it.

There was that one-shot during Spider-Island with a bunch of little side stories and one was about a bunch of guys using their newfound spiderpowers to rob a bank while complaining about having weird uneasy feelings that they can't explain the whole time. Then one of the robbers reveals himself to be the Punisher, guns them down, and on the way out of the bank says something like "It's called Spider-Sense".

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I know this is a comic book forum, but I was wondering if anyone remembered the cartoon where Spider-Man's eyes became fully circular when he got spider sense. If anyone could find a screenshot, that'd be great, but I'm having trouble finding one myself.

I think it's either in the Spectacular Spider-Man or the '90s cartoon.

I know this is a really vague question, but I'd appreciate any help. It's for a tattoo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Grump posted:

I know this is a comic book forum, but I was wondering if anyone remembered the cartoon where Spider-Man's eyes became fully circular when he got spider sense. If anyone could find a screenshot, that'd be great, but I'm having trouble finding one myself.

I think it's either in the Spectacular Spider-Man or the '90s cartoon.

I know this is a really vague question, but I'd appreciate any help. It's for a tattoo.

I don't remember that in Spectacular though I could be wrong, but it wasn't the 90s cartoon because that one had the trippy flashing lava lamp / circulatory system background thing with a high shrill whistle type sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Lobok posted:

I don't remember that in Spectacular though I could be wrong, but it wasn't the 90s cartoon because that one had the trippy flashing lava lamp / circulatory system background thing with a high shrill whistle type sound.

I loved that.

That noise comes to me every time I'm reading something with spider sense.

• Locked thread