Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Okay, fine. It's getting cancelled either way and it'll be better that way as If people really enjoy it and it's that good there won't be loads of issues to collect and it can be a cult hit! Everybody wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

They could easily just rename it to Amazing Foes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Fantastic Foes

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
The astonishing foes
The bombastic foes
The avenging foes
The indestructible foes
The invincible foes
The uncanny foes
Marvel knights foes

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Oh hey actually talking about the books that are out this issue basically wrapped up all of the secret identity stuff/mind swapness with as little creepiness as possible. Including the Ana-Marie stuff and it's all done straight forward with no confusion.

In fact i'd say it's probably a better issue than #1 even if already the forced Electro stuff feels dated.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You know as much as I'd like it to be MJ and for her character to get respect or move on and get her own series I kinda want that chick and the real Peter to continue on for a bit. She's had a bad deal.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
She's certainly better than anyone else they've thrown at him lately, and a bland Electro story is better than Gwen coming back again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gatts posted:

You know as much as I'd like it to be MJ and for her character to get respect or move on and get her own series I kinda want that chick and the real Peter to continue on for a bit. She's had a bad deal.

That is a weird starting point that honestly its best to move on from.

That page does actually do a fine enough job for it to end. Suprising to be able to praise Slott but there we go.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 21, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pleasently surprised at how Anna Maria and the Avengers were handled (despite making the avengers look like total morons), outside of that the book was unimpressive.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gatts posted:

I'd rather herself and Peter don't hook up given how messed up her life has been. Though i'll be happy for her not turning evil since that seems the most likely outcome for them.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Gatts posted:

Anna Maria is terrible and I can't think of any real personality she has. She existed (and still exists kind of) as little more than a morality crutch for Otto.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Keep her character at least then. Let her develop.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
More likely once Ock comes back she'll try to lead him to redemption and then get killed just in time for Ock to be a villian in a movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Senor Candle posted:

More likely once Ock comes back she'll try to lead him to redemption and then get killed just in time for Ock to be a villian in a movie.

So pull a Doom then. Go back to his roots.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gatts posted:

Keep her character at least then. Let her develop.

It seems easier just to get a new character if you are just gonna make her develop one.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I see the return of sexy female Doc Ock in the future, not to be confused with sexy original recipe Doc Ock.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Suben posted:

Anna Maria is terrible and I can't think of any real personality she has. She existed (and still exists kind of) as little more than a morality crutch for Otto.

She's also a one-dimensional perfect girlfriend. Great cook, nerdy, smart, devoted, low self-esteem...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

She's also a one-dimensional perfect girlfriend. Great cook, nerdy, smart, devoted, low self-esteem...

See we keep her from being too perfect by sticking her with an obvious physical handicap and drawing her like a child!

Can I write Spider-Man for years now?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They should make Hastings do it, his Deadpool Annual was the best Spidey i've read in a while. :3: "That's because diet Dr. Pepper doesn't really taste like the real thing, baby!"

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Peter Parker spearheading the prison industrial complex is honestly worse than anything Slott did on Superior goddamn.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

At least he's not working in urban renewal like Iron Man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Suben posted:

Peter Parker spearheading the prison industrial complex is honestly worse than anything Slott did on Superior goddamn.

And if he cures Electro of powers, then what's the point of building a supermax super prison?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It worked out so well when Reed and Tony built prisons so why not Peter?

gently caress Slott.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peter Parker and Hobie Brown take over an old repair shop. Flexible hours, reasonable but never guaranteed or steady income, someone who could cover for him and team up every now and then, constant stream of supporting cast neighbourhood peeps or new characters and their problems, and he and Hobie can futz around with his (or their) gear all they want.

Bonus points if the shop has a punny name like All the Fixin's.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How about Peter Parker is a former photographer who now teaches high school in a low income section of town?

Nah, that would never work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheJoker138 posted:

How about Peter Parker is a former photographer who now teaches high school in a low income section of town?

Nah, that would never work.

It doesn't, really. I'm not dismissing the good character interactions Pete has with some of the kids but being a teacher isn't a hobby. It requires consistent, expected, and long hours.

It's not a coincidence superheroes tend to be either independently wealthy or have jobs outside the norm. It's partly why Thor's secret identities have been jettisoned or why Foggy Nelson is critical to Murdock's law practice.

Working at a paper has worked for Clark Kent and Peter Parker so well because it gets them close to the action, indirectly provides them with money from their superheroics, and it excuses them for long absences as long as they produce results. If you're going to change Pete's job then he needs something similar or something easy going, which is why Slott had given Peter the most amazing and lenient boss at the tech company.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I would not at all be surprised if, within the next 12 months, Peter folds Parker Industries (or Anna Maria or Sajani or someoen buys it out) and he goes back to being a photographer.

It's strange, because I like Peter being a photographer in many of the media adaptations because it is just such a fun thing to see him try to pull off while super heroing. But it has been done to death so many times. I think the Bugle Cast is important to Spidey and besides people like Betty, it is hard to integrate them without the Bugle. But Peter being a photographer in the comics just bores me to no end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I would not at all be surprised if, within the next 12 months, Peter folds Parker Industries (or Anna Maria or Sajani or someoen buys it out) and he goes back to being a photographer.

It's strange, because I like Peter being a photographer in many of the media adaptations because it is just such a fun thing to see him try to pull off while super heroing. But it has been done to death so many times. I think the Bugle Cast is important to Spidey and besides people like Betty, it is hard to integrate them without the Bugle. But Peter being a photographer in the comics just bores me to no end.

It's why Bendis' idea to have him be one of the Bugle's web people was such a great one, beyond the obvious pun. It's the kind of work that he was able to do intermittently without treading the well-worn shutterbug ground and kept him around the Bugle. Nowadays you could have Peter be something like an app developer.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Peter should be working for Tony and Reed as consultant and be a part time high school or college professor. As far as Jonah is concerned he calls Peter up every day to upload Spidey fails to their YouTube channel that Parker films. Though he doesn't work for him nor is employed by the Bugle as far as Jonah is concerned he owns Peter as an employee anyway yelling at him and trying to be stingy with him.

EDIT: To get Parker luck in...Peter will shoot for Victoria Secret. He can be the hip swinging bachelor kids can relate to and live vicariously through. This will allow Peter to travel and put Spidey around the world.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 23, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The most logical job for Pete to have would just be as a scientist or researcher working for Stark (like he was pre-Civil War) or Reed Richards, who both already know who he is. But that effectively eliminates the potential drama of hiding his identity and explaining his repeated absences so it would never last as the status quo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wish we could eliminate that drama. He doesn't need that for work just for personal life if at all. Like his excuse is work and people think he's a woekoholic. He's and an adult. Not a high school slacker who is irresponsible to his job...that he needs because he's poor and relatable.

Retail it is then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dacap posted:

The most logical job for Pete to have would just be as a scientist or researcher working for Stark (like he was pre-Civil War) or Reed Richards, who both already know who he is. But that effectively eliminates the potential drama of hiding his identity and explaining his repeated absences so it would never last as the status quo.

I don't like the idea of Peter working for another hero, for several reasons, but I see the issue as being less about the drama and more about how the job would fit into his story or give him something meaningful to do. If he's up in an ivory tower trying to make improvements to the latest Quantum Flummoxer what does that actually mean for Peter, his supporting cast, his adventures, or the reader? At the Bugle or at the school, his job got him directly involved with the people of the city who were in trouble or causing trouble and leaving some guy webbed to a light standard at the end of the issue was a resolution for both his superhero job and regular job. Even Stark, who works for no one but himself, doesn't have stories centered around Making Science, but is concerned with high level captain-of-industry problems and ideals.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Working for Stark or Reed works to explain how he survives in NYC and is part of his character as a genius. Consulting is part time and connects him to the superhero community and Avengers. Peter teaching as a sub connects him to youth and applies something that is his past and creates drama and doing something productive. Part time photo hog connects him to people and society and city and potentially hot chicks. He holds multiple jobs like relatable youth or some poo poo and juggles responsibilities as his opportunity allows and can put him where he needs to be per story. They are not full time but combine for income.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
In the old books, Peter got a free apartment through his rich roommate, Harry. And he was never home, either, so he looked like (and, well, kind of was) a freeloader.

I think I'd prefer if Peter lived in his childhood bedroom, and Aunt May wondered if he was a failure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instead of working for Stark or Reed, why not just work for himself? If he's such a genius (and that gets played up WAAAY too much) and if it's so necessary for his genius to be part of his work (never mind that his employment consisted entirely of being a lovely photographer for the vast majority of his publication history) then why not be his own boss?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Instead of working for Stark or Reed, why not just work for himself? If he's such a genius (and that gets played up WAAAY too much) and if it's so necessary for his genius to be part of his work (never mind that his employment consisted entirely of being a lovely photographer for the vast majority of his publication history) then why not be his own boss?

Tactical realism man. He can't run his own company and be Spidey. Too much. He would be a deadbeat boss not paying employees and poo poo as his company goes under and he no take business classes which is mastering the art of bullshit. Real business management is like...not what you see in Comics unless you are lovely rear end Bruce Wayne. He can be his own consultant and charge for services.

But whatever. Just be interesting for story.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gatts posted:

Tactical realism man. He can't run his own company and be Spidey. Too much. He would be a deadbeat boss not paying employees and poo poo as his company goes under and he no take business classes which is mastering the art of bullshit. Real business management is like...not what you see in Comics unless you are lovely rear end Bruce Wayne. He can be his own consultant and charge for services.

But whatever. Just be interesting for story.

When I say he should be his own boss I don't mean running a Fortune 500 company. That's why I brought up something like a small shop he can co-own. He gets to use his smarts but in a way more down-to-earth than calibrating Reed's Protonic Widget Array and it keeps him as street level as he can possibly be without being a garbageman or hot dog vendor. You get some supporting cast old dude bringing in a toaster to fix... but he also mentions the proliferation of drug dealers in the area. The guy who owns the bodega next door gets Pete to help fix his refrigerators... and confesses that some mobsters have been leaning on him for protection money. Some kid brings in a gadget of some type he found in his backyard and Pete realizes it's one of Shocker's gauntlets but how did it get in this kid's yard?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

According to ASM 2, Tony actually doesn't know Spidey's identity. Cap seems to know but I don't think he was present during any unmasking scene.

Peter was a TA while working on non specific post grad studies back in the 80s.

To me, Peter is smart but he's not a genius on the level of Reed or Stark. But he's a great thinker on his feet and has a knack for inventing devices that work with his powers. At times, he's also shown a bit of a journalist in him probably from the years around Jonah, Robbie and Urich. That's a great skill set and he can work well in scientist groups to bring a new perspective, like Hickman did in FF. But I don't think he could go it alone like Reed or Tchalla often do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lobok posted:

It doesn't, really. I'm not dismissing the good character interactions Pete has with some of the kids but being a teacher isn't a hobby. It requires consistent, expected, and long hours.

It's not a coincidence superheroes tend to be either independently wealthy or have jobs outside the norm. It's partly why Thor's secret identities have been jettisoned or why Foggy Nelson is critical to Murdock's law practice.

Working at a paper has worked for Clark Kent and Peter Parker so well because it gets them close to the action, indirectly provides them with money from their superheroics, and it excuses them for long absences as long as they produce results. If you're going to change Pete's job then he needs something similar or something easy going, which is why Slott had given Peter the most amazing and lenient boss at the tech company.

It worked fine and there is no reason it couldn't continue.

It would be interesting, which I guess is the enemy here. Got to make him a part time tech guy who snooooooore.

or he could go back to the bugle and zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lobok posted:

When I say he should be his own boss I don't mean running a Fortune 500 company. That's why I brought up something like a small shop he can co-own. He gets to use his smarts but in a way more down-to-earth than calibrating Reed's Protonic Widget Array and it keeps him as street level as he can possibly be without being a garbageman or hot dog vendor. You get some supporting cast old dude bringing in a toaster to fix... but he also mentions the proliferation of drug dealers in the area. The guy who owns the bodega next door gets Pete to help fix his refrigerators... and confesses that some mobsters have been leaning on him for protection money. Some kid brings in a gadget of some type he found in his backyard and Pete realizes it's one of Shocker's gauntlets but how did it get in this kid's yard?

I am also really down with the All The Fixin's idea.

• Locked thread