Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I kind of wonder what a typical day is like for Snail Games USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

angerbot posted:

Lots of chinese 101 classes I imagine.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

angerbot posted:

I imagine he gets to work about 9:00. Spends a couple hours reading emails. Tries desperately to translate various instructions into English for the volunteer CMs/forum mods. Gives up. Goes to lunch. Plays games on his iPhone for a couple hours. Says "good enough" for whatever he managed to translate. Goes home around 5:00.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Applied to the GoonTangClan, Mederlock ingame

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Haquertal if you read this you hosed up and didn't pass leader.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Why you guys got rid of a universal account anyone could log into I dunno.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
^^^ Akeenai forgets to look at it during bidding and I've had problems with crashing since the last patch and it's usually with the 2nd client I'm running.

Shalhavet posted:

Haquertal if you read this you hosed up and didn't pass leader.

I didn't gently caress up, you were offline last night so I just held onto it since I'll be home around 10:20 anyway.

P.S. log the gently caress in next time.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I was in teamspeak the entire time and that's gonna be too late to bid.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Shalhavet posted:

I was in teamspeak the entire time and that's gonna be too late to bid.

What? 10:20 EST is 25 minutes before bidding.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is 'Battling in Jianghu Daxia Pack' and is it something I should toss? Also how in the world do I expand my bag space?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
So Yang..Guo left BloodFate to join Gensomaden, and they literally outbid me by less than 3 ding on the top bid to get BloodFate's base tomorrow.

So it seems we have a new enemy and we're going to instead take the base from Gensomaden instead next time it's off protection! :sun:

E: Diplomacy in action! I didn't say anything before the first line and the guy just spills his guts everywhere

Haquer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 5, 2014

madmario
Mar 30, 2014

While you sleep,
your enemy practices.
Hahahahaha. I ran into him shortly after reading this. He begged at me (for forgivenesS). I told him we were cool, but the blood of an innocent would be spilt for his transgression, and that I would send his griefed guildie his way.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

FebrezeNinja posted:

Shuffling translations, dongfang is either "the east" or "the East" so let's guess Korea/Japan.
So, Dongfang Shiting is Korean?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jackard posted:

So, Dongfang Shiting is Korean?

Dongfang Shiting is such a bro, how many months did he let us crash at his place?

Karate Sluts
Nov 21, 2010

I applied to GoonTangClan, I'm Ashimaru in game.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=22012
http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=22011
http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=22131
http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=22013

Jonathan is gonna be taking this guy's name, guild, and zone. I'll be loving around with an RG alt.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Applied to GoonTangClan as Youzhi.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My goodness, this new player experience is loving terrible. Halfway through the school story quest line and I've just been :psyduck: the whole drat time. Is the PVP combat and goon shenanigans really worth it?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mederlock posted:

My goodness, this new player experience is loving terrible. Halfway through the school story quest line and I've just been :psyduck: the whole drat time. Is the PVP combat and goon shenanigans really worth it?

Once you're done with the school quests they're done forever. The initial questing is basically the only questing that's forced upon you in the entire game (unless you plan on swapping to a faction later).

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Haquer posted:

Once you're done with the school quests they're done forever. The initial questing is basically the only questing that's forced upon you in the entire game (unless you plan on swapping to a faction later).

Oh okay, if that's the case then that's no big deal.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It helps a lot if you can find the whole experience "charming" and kind of think of Chinagame as a puppy with diarrhea or something. Not the puppy's fault! Oh, Chinagame.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

angerbot posted:

It helps a lot if you can find the whole experience "charming" and kind of think of Chinagame as a puppy with diarrhea or something. Not the puppy's fault! Oh, Chinagame.

This is kinda how I've been looking at it, thanks to autopathing making things a lot less tedious

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm going to post a tutorial on how exploring jianghu & factions works, if it could be added to the OP that'd be awesome.

Exploring Jianghu is a mode that you activate by clicking the "more" button then the flag with three "k"s on it. In this mode you'll challenge faction bosses and try to collect bounties, which are random faction bosses which when defeated, give you a box with an "Order of The Hero" token and a "Weapon Manual". "Order of the Heroes" can be turned in for a buff that lasts a whole week, you can have only 1 activate at a time, but +30 brawn is pretty nice. Weapon manuals are AMAZING. You'll also earn points that you can exchange for the above items as well as various quality tendon pills and mantis fist, demon heart chain hand and soul stealing sting of intrigue skills.

When you consume a weapon manual it will give you a choice of what weapon style you want to invest in. Unarmed, staff, stick, blade, double blade, hidden weapons, single sword, double sword, dual stings and dagger sets can all be improved by weapon manuals. The first level of weapon manuals takes 1 weapon manual and gives a few extra points of damage, the final level takes 512 weapon manuals (1023 total) and gives and extra 194 damage per attack (it's shown as purple damage on the relevant skill) However the amount of weapon manuals you need doubles per level and the damage because less efficient, weapon manuals to damage ratio is roughly: 1-5, 2- 7, 4-11, 8-16, 16-24, 32-38, 64-58, 128-86, 256-136, 512-194. Now that's per each level, in order to calculate how many weapon manuals you need total to reach a level, it's double the level's requirement -1.

So once per round you get a free select opponent, use this to select a bounty target, preferably on the highest tier of exploring jianghu you can do. Tier 1 bounties give 1 manual, tier 2 2, tier 3 5 and tier 4 ten. Doing exploring jianghu starts in minor tier and gradually unlocks recognized, known and famous tiers which get progressively more difficult. Complete 6 bosses in one round and you'll unlock a bonus round which when activated resets Exploring jianghu and every bountied boss drops double weapon manuals. Since you can buy one challenge order per day for tier 2 and below, that means if you challenge a tier 4 boss and 6 tier 2 bosses you'll get 32 weapon manuals guaranteed(The most I've over gotten in one bonus round is 82). Since you'll usually be soloing these factions, it sounds pretty rough and it is, but there's an equalizer.
BUFFS FOR 1 UNBOUND LIANG EACH.

Mad God Descends: Grants you gold armor and life drain, your attacks will only be interrupted by stuns and AOEing trash makes you IMMORTAL.

Venomously Slander: When you first pop this bad boy it pisses off everything in a 50 meter range then constantly damages everything within 30 meters, builds rage and is ideal for getting a good score
when you have to kill 30 or 40 opponents.

Explosive Attack: Damages one enemy and when they die from kung fu related conditions, they explode doing their max hp in damage to everything around them.

Rule The World: Strips bosses of their gold armor, applies a stun and causes anything affected by it to take double damage, it fights for freedom, this buff is your friend.

Protect One's Body: Adds an extra 2k health and a damage shield equal to your new total max health, this will save your rear end.

Move Like The Wind: Increased movement and spawns whirlwinds that deals 100 damage per sec and CC enemies.

Turn The Tide: This buff gradually ticks down then explodes dealing YOUR maximum health to enemies, does not stack so you have to reapply after the explosion.

Uncontrollable Rage: Gives you 50 rage then 10 rage per second for 10 seconds.

All Rivers Run into the Sea: Fully restores your internal force and then repeatedly renews it every 30 seconds for 2 minutes.

The cool thing about these buffs is most of them work together great, here are some common combos:

Rule the world + Whirlwind sprint, the boss is cc'd until sprint runs out giving you vital breathing time if your health is low (pop a pill or whatever)
Rule the world + Turn The Tide + Protect One's body. If you have 8k health, doing that much damage to the boss is cool, doing 10K is better and I'm not mathematician but 20k sounds like an improvement.
Whirlwind + Explosive attack, clears the mobs around the boss if they're troubling you.

Exploring Jianghu points: You can turn these in for fabulous prizes like: order of the heroes, skills books for: Demon Heart Chain Hand, Mantis Fist, Soul Stealing Sting of Intrigue, advanced challenge ordes, the ability to invite a friend and finally DIRECT CULTIVATION PILLS. Tier 1 bosses give you 10 points, tier 2 20, 3 30 4 40.

Boss Basics: Bosses have permanent gold armor, if you see the boss parrying, feint and you'll break its parry, hit it a few times and the boss will fall down and be vulnerable to cc, the more you hit a boss after its parry is broken BEFORE it falls, the longer the CC vulnerability will be(this when beggars use spirit snake poison). Each boss has different attacks and they will appear in their own location. You'll have to learn these locations on their own. After you kill the boss it will spawn one or two chests based on how well you did. However you only have 15 minutes to do exploring jianghu, but you'll be awarded bonus time based on the tier of boss you beat with an A rank.

How to get an A rank: When you start a faction or exploring jianghu there will be a screen with: 1 bonus objective and multiple groups of enemies(often they have a different name as npcs) If you want higher than a D rank, you must fulfill the bonus objective. If it's kill the boss in under 5 or 3 minutes, then do only that. If it's kill 40 enemies, kill forty enemies and kill one group of enemies the enemy name will glow gold when you have enough and it tells you how many you need total. If it's any other objective you need to kill 2 groups of enemies. The higher the score the more treasure you get.

As for factions, you can do this with a team of up to six people, and if you're VIP and you defeat a faction six times, there is a bonus chest on the faction menu you can open up and you'll be given the ability to teleport to the next faction you want to challenge. Much harder to solo since you won't have buffs and it gives ZERO exploring jianghu points.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 6, 2014

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I've been playing on a CN server for a couple hours and I have to say that the new player experience is far, far better and you get to watch Jet Li fly around and kick some rear end in Twilight Village as well.

The time of day and weather effects are both amazing. Been spending time trying to get all the Vagrant sets while wondering around more than a little lost because everything is in Chinese and I can't read it at all :smith:

Skion
Mar 24, 2013

got jumped by CaJe and wife, but worked out for me

cue mad IM requests for one on ones and nbloc gank squads being called in

GreatestNerdEver
Aug 3, 2007
I took another look at the marketplace on the chinese server, there are indeed (at least copper and silver quality) recipes for rulers, flutes, and the pretty girl weapon type, which are brass knuckles. Not using the proper weapon type makes you do 30% less damage. Gonna have to figure out a way to get them on patch day, maybe gold points?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

GreatestNerdEver posted:

I took another look at the marketplace on the chinese server, there are indeed (at least copper and silver quality) recipes for rulers, flutes, and the pretty girl weapon type, which are brass knuckles. Not using the proper weapon type makes you do 30% less damage. Gonna have to figure out a way to get them on patch day, maybe gold points?

Earthquake was saying that there are vendors in the schools that sell them during the stream but I dunno if he knew what he was talking about or what. I'd imagine they will pop up there as well like everything else.

Also why does the pretty girls get brass knuckles what that doesn't seem right.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Ladies can't use penis shaped weapons.

GreatestNerdEver
Aug 3, 2007

randombattle posted:

Earthquake was saying that there are vendors in the schools that sell them during the stream but I dunno if he knew what he was talking about or what. I'd imagine they will pop up there as well like everything else.

Also why does the pretty girls get brass knuckles what that doesn't seem right.

Vendors will sell them, yes, but crappy starter ones. They can go up to class 5 jade just like other crafted stuff.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Got stuck in the Vagrant quests in china because I don't read Chinese so "abusively difficult" is an understatement in some of the starter stuff to understand.
I started a Royal Guard this morning and they moved all of that starter town bullshit into the school that you choose instead, everything is so much more streamlined it's amazing. Going to test out betraying when I get home after work.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

GreatestNerdEver posted:

Vendors will sell them, yes, but crappy starter ones. They can go up to class 5 jade just like other crafted stuff.

So I need to wander to each school on koop and buy every weapon recipe we don't have yet basically on launch day right? If the T2 recipe go into the weekly rotation we could try ranking for a couple of weeks in hopes of gaining new fancy (I might have enough brass ingots plus other mats still to deep-spam truesilver for easy ranking...maybe).

Are there other professions getting new crafting stuff via new schools release?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Cooking will get another couple dozen recipes we can't make

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

funakupo posted:

So I need to wander to each school on koop and buy every weapon recipe we don't have yet basically on launch day right? If the T2 recipe go into the weekly rotation we could try ranking for a couple of weeks in hopes of gaining new fancy (I might have enough brass ingots plus other mats still to deep-spam truesilver for easy ranking...maybe).

Whelp I'll get back to purchase ordering brass ingots I guess.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

funakupo posted:

From the sound of it you can only enter the 3 secret faction areas if you're a member of the faction (or attaining membership). Me and bigbo have no clue where the hell you get the recipes but I'm guessing you can get some via gold points and maybe disciples of the factions can buy them.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
it will be some obscure thing, like the music trainer only in Scholars with specific ones.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

A mini-FAQ for noobs:

Cash Rules Everything Around Me: Get That Money, Dolla Dolla Bill Y'all

So, at the bottom of your inventory is this counter:

Those count how much currency you have. They are, from top to bottom, Bound Liang, Unbound Liang, and Silver Notes. Bound Liang are useless Monopoly money which you use for buying poo poo from NPCs, Practice Martial Arts, and pretty much nothing else. There is a limit to how much you can spend per day, but aside from that it's essentially limitless. Unbound Liang (also known as 'tael') is real money, which can be spent on poo poo you actually care about and can be traded to other players. You can also spend it on the same stuff you can spend Bound Liang on if you turn on that radio button next to it. Don't do that. The last currency is Silver Notes. I don't know much about them because you can only get them by spending Gold (i.e. dollars) on.

So, how do you get it? The answer is: Stalls. You see that little banner button? If you go to one of the big cities or a noob village and hit it, you'll pop up a window like this:

This is the stall interface. When you hit the 'online stall' button, your dude will set up a flea-market table and act as a NPC salesman for an hour, selling your useless poo poo for sweet, sweet unbound liangs. Drag and drop your poo poo onto there, set the prices, and watch your bank account explode! Or don't, because people have very particular tastes in what they actually buy. You can also set yourself up to automatically buy specific objects by hitting the 'purchase item' tab there, dragging over an example of the item you want, and setting a price.

But what price do you want to charge? Hit the 'V' key, and you'll pop open the Trade Center interface.

This is invaluable for searching for specific items to price them, or for shopping for objects by type. It's worth noting that Trade Center only tells you about stalls and 'world stalls' that are in the same zone as you are, so everybody does all their trading in Chengdu on Blue Dragon.

'World Stalls' are a slightly different version of stalls that you can get once you start making the big bucks. You've almost certainly seen them- they're those stalls with NPCs behind them that sell player goods all the time, rather than just for one hour. Problem is, you need to bid for stalls, and the minimum bid is 100 unbound liang. If you have a lot of really good poo poo to sell, world stalls are great, but if you're just selling steamed buns, you're not going to make much money.

So, what sells?
  • Scripts. People love scripts. Any first page of a skill will sell like hotcakes.
  • Instance-only materials. Any material that can only be found in an instance will sell well.
  • Similarly, any instance-only collectable item will sell well too.
  • Silver-or-higher rated equipment
  • Steamed Buns. Seriously.
  • Processed materials. Stuff like Guazhou Green sells pretty well.
  • Materials from disassembled items.

What doesn't sell well?

• Common materials. Nobody cares about Iron Ingots. The exception here is Malachite, which is rare enough that people actually buy it.
  • Most food items. If it's not Steamed Buns or absolute top-end food items, you can barely sell it for 1 wen.
  • Life Skill books. Not very popular.
  • Imitation paintings or caligraphy.

So: Go run instances, get instance-only crap, stall it and sell it in Chengdu.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

When you're buying and selling massive amounts of say, materials, you can also browse by item type on the left hand side, and select the quality next to the search interface. You can also browse by individual world stalls and trade stalls, if you see MrPibbleton's stall, BUY NOTHING SELL NOTHING. I'll always give you a crazy discount on stuff I sell and the price I buy things at is insanely low and exploitative. DO NOT INTERACT WITH MY STALL PM ME. Seriously most stuff under 100L I'll flat out give to you.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I've been refreshing snail's forums off and on all day looking for downtime/patch information for tomorrow and they've yet to post anything :cripes:

If anyone sees it before me please quote it here.

Skion
Mar 24, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

A mini-FAQ for noobs:

Cash Rules Everything Around Me: Get That Money, Dolla Dolla Bill Y'all

So, at the bottom of your inventory is this counter:

Those count how much currency you have. They are, from top to bottom, Bound Liang, Unbound Liang, and Silver Notes. Bound Liang are useless Monopoly money which you use for buying poo poo from NPCs, Practice Martial Arts, and pretty much nothing else. There is a limit to how much you can spend per day, but aside from that it's essentially limitless. Unbound Liang (also known as 'tael') is real money, which can be spent on poo poo you actually care about and can be traded to other players. You can also spend it on the same stuff you can spend Bound Liang on if you turn on that radio button next to it. Don't do that. The last currency is Silver Notes. I don't know much about them because you can only get them by spending Gold (i.e. dollars) on.

You mixed these two up, but otherwise nice guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Wow, their main forum is somehow dumber than usual.

They still haven't posted the existing server launch events, either.

Maintenance topic finally up: http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22183&sid=8781fdf8ade4873084b3984ff19e90e7