Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It never did.

Was just another 'look how good we are, we are going to america' schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
https://gameforge.com/en-GB/play/swords_of_legends_online/news/21cdabab-4cf9-4846-9302-3dabf0c76b54
Beta is going to be in two tiny dick weeks. If anyone of you wants spend your time and money on this to give us a report it would be neato.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I've heard there's guild v guild pvp and some open world stuff in limited areas, has anyone got more info on that?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Xun posted:

I've heard there's guild v guild pvp and some open world stuff in limited areas, has anyone got more info on that?

I saw folks saying it’s not going to be in at launch.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways/swords-of-legends-online-closed-beta-test-key-giveaway-2000001011

I got a key from here for the upcoming beta, not sure if they're limited or what

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'll give it a try but it gives me a whole lot of B&S vibes rather than AoW. This was probably made around the time that B&S was very popular in china not cash in on that.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Estraysian posted:

https://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways/swords-of-legends-online-closed-beta-test-key-giveaway-2000001011

I got a key from here for the upcoming beta, not sure if they're limited or what

holy poo poo that was fast, I got a key at >200 left refreshed and now they're gone

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'll give it a try but it gives me a whole lot of B&S vibes rather than AoW. This was probably made around the time that B&S was very popular in china not cash in on that.

There will never be another wushu. This game was released in July 2019 and B&S was in 2013 so a 6 year gap? No idea how popular B&S is in china.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

looking up on some videos from the chinese version, apparently there are 3 classes not available from the start on the western release. A fast sword class, an archer and...a fox mage that can only played as a little girl.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
:goonsay: actually she's a thousand year old fox spirit

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I didn't realize B&S was going into closed beta this year.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

thanks for reminding me I had 80 gigabytes of chinagame LITE to download

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GPU driver crash on character creation

Chinagame starting strong

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

every class goes to their school once.

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT BARDS

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
take me down to Hoarfrost City where the guqins play and the xiaos are pretty

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The bards mana is called spellforce
The dark death evil purple man with a scythes mana is called edge

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ah poo poo you doing bard too?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok early thoughts on this so far:

This forgot to censor CaoNiMa as selectable name, just like Wushu which I always find hilarious.

Combat so far reminds me more of GW2 than B&S. No real reactive or conditional attacks so far but still actiony in that your attacks do cleave and hit base on position.

Questing reminds me more of FFXIV than anything, lots cutscenes and your character emoting them. But your character isn't wholly a mute like in FFXIV. The actual quest structure is very typical themepark mmo though at least in the beginning

Also the character creator isnt as insane as some other MMOs but its not bad. I was able to create the perfect ukiyo-e princess

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ok early thoughts on this so far:

This forgot to censor CaoNiMa as selectable name, just like Wushu which I always find hilarious.

Combat so far reminds me more of GW2 than B&S. No real reactive or conditional attacks so far but still actiony in that your attacks do cleave and hit base on position.

Questing reminds me more of FFXIV than anything, lots cutscenes and your character emoting them. But your character isn't wholly a mute like in FFXIV. The actual quest structure is very typical themepark mmo though at least in the beginning

Also the character creator isnt as insane as some other MMOs but its not bad. I was able to create the perfect ukiyo-e princess

:eyepop:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
for bard why does the little gauge explanation show you can have the red bars on the left side of it? is there like another stance or something

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I'm playing SOLO and I'm blown away that the game actually bothers trying to teach you basic and more advanced rotations using your class mechanics. Like I've never seen an MMO even try going beyond the absolute basics for tutorials.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

eonwe posted:

for bard why does the little gauge explanation show you can have the red bars on the left side of it? is there like another stance or something

The two classes I have played so far have mana that turns into a gauge that turns into another gauge

The bard can just attack a few times, if it gets two stacks, consume them instantly to use as second ability, then can build up those blue bars for another ability to consume

But that is when you are in cold mode and I assume there is a hot mode later or a way to swap

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is the main questline like post base game FFXIV or base FFXIV, how many times am I going to have to make the trip back to White Sands?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SweetBro posted:

Is the main questline like post base game FFXIV or base FFXIV, how many times am I going to have to make the trip back to White Sands?

It really doesnt make you travel constantly to the same place and even if it did the movement and transportation options in the game are top notch. Everyone has 50% speed boost by double tapping W and when you mount up on your sword you can surf pretty drat fast.

Biggest issue right now is the translation. Its extremely rough. It looks like they put a lot of the games text into an AI translator and just spit it into the game like that. Causes a lot of misgendering, awkward phrases like using Humans instead of people, some of the skills dont match what other tooltips say and sometimes mobs say things and you get error texts in their bubbles. Very Chinagame

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 22, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what seems really cool is there is an overwhelming amount of systems you seem to be able to engage in, none of which is written is super comprehensible or consistent language

theres all kinds of stuff you can gather and unlock and collectible poo poo, so I'm excited about that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah, the tooltips not matching is the most confusing part so far. The quest to teach you about dungeons tells you to start the dungeon on a difficulty that doesn't exist

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My hesitation with Chinagames is always wondering if it's gonna install a keylogger or hijack my computer to mine bitcoins or something.

Can you run games like this in a VM these days?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't know where to even begin with that but Gameforge have other games on Steam etc that they've published so if they had done that you'd have heard about it.

In fact the only time I can recall a publisher sneaking a miner into a game release was an American game.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

All the millions of Chinese gamers just live in a world full of Bitcoin miners, keyloggers, and constantly getting their PCs hijacked and they just don't give a poo poo I guess lol

Xun fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 22, 2021

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

why would you not want to mine bitcoins

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Spearman skill tooltips are basically incomprehensible but the tutorial built into the skill menu makes sense for the most part and actually explains how stuff works

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The dungeon quest is even stranger. It tells you to complete the dungeon in Practice difficulty, but the UI only has Drill, Normal, Hard so you run it in drill and doesn’t complete. So do you run it on normal then? Nope! There is a menu you open that has daily/weekly achievements, the daily achievement is running a dungeon and claiming the rewards clears the quest.

Also there are combos for classes, just not as complex as B&S, basically use one ability and it turns some of your other abilities into different versions.

Another thing is that sometimes its not mistranslations and there are actual story reasons for weird things. Like at the start of the game you say a big ol lady whose title is "Xs Spirit Animal" and you think its a mistranslation or something. No, they are in fact animals that can take human form.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 22, 2021

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
There have been very few cases of Chinese gaming software or hardware containing malicious code but it does get a ton of press :thunk: There are legit concerns with Chinese govt surveillance outside the MMO space but let’s not paint with too broad a brush here. Let’s also make sure to focus any commentary or concerns on specific shady companies or practices versus “China” or even “chinagame” in general.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

More musings

At least for summoner switching to healing spec means you are healing and just healing. 100% honest healer mode. You do have abilities that can boost the damage of your allies but all you can do is push out green numbers yourself. Also going into healing mode disables the action movements reverting you into classic MMO controls.

The combat so far is still pretty simple but I'm noticing the games "tell" system is actually good. Similar to FFXIV, the tells are intuitive. The talent system is similar to modern WoWs, where you have a certain amount of options that alter your playstyle significantly but at the same time they have this constellation system where you get tiny stat increments through them, see no point in it really.

Just at the second town and the game is VERY pretty. Like the lancer job hall was oppressive but it still looked good but the summoner job hall is downright beautiful, one of the best looking zones I've seen in an MMO.

The shop seems to be purely cosmetic, and Ive read that buying a set on one character allows you to use it on all. Thats not a bad deal when compared to something like BDO that has you buy outfits for each character. There are free options that you can get from playing the game but so far a lot of the people look the same because questing gear always looks the same for each person, so if you want to stand out while leveling you are going to have to fork some money. At least till you compile your wardrobe, the wardrobe system in the game is actually very detailed and good. The wardrobe system has a thing where you can preview how they look before you buy them, it consist on a video showing how it looks on the three genders, Man, Woman and Foxgirl.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 22, 2021

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Are there any eu goons playing around on the SOLO beta?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Have you figured out how the actually use the wardrobe system? No idea how to get the special currency to switch appearances but I've been loving around with other stuff

BurningCourage posted:

Are there any eu goons playing around on the SOLO beta?

I am!

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Xun posted:

Have you figured out how the actually use the wardrobe system? No idea how to get the special currency to switch appearances but I've been loving around with other stuff

I am!

Cool, I made my dude Congming the sword artist on the one EU server. Lag is horrendous on it right now so I stopped playing but will be around throughout the weekend. For the wardrobe system it seems like they want you to buy the currency to use (with a refund +20% on end of beta?).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Xun posted:

I am!

It SEEMS that you can gain them through rotating events. If you go into the cultivation UI and go to production list it'll tell you the rotating events, when they happen and what they reward and the stones used for the wardrobe system show up there.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BurningCourage posted:

Cool, I made my dude Congming the sword artist on the one EU server. Lag is horrendous on it right now so I stopped playing but will be around throughout the weekend. For the wardrobe system it seems like they want you to buy the currency to use (with a refund +20% on end of beta?).

Are the EU servers acting up again? It was pretty bad for a while but the second maintenance seemed to fix the warping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Are the EU servers acting up again? It was pretty bad for a while but the second maintenance seemed to fix the warping

They were when I was on earlier today (around 4-5pm Brit time). Awful lag causing skipping and action delays so I just quit when I got to the game wanting me to do a first dungeon.