Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The game is funded by people who want to be the big fish in a small pond.. New pond = more money. Merge it back in a few months, make a new one, repeat until the game dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

FebrezeNinja posted:

Not being run by SnailUSA.

The Pay-to-Win features and necessary grinding were increasing and coming faster than QoL or fun features. One of two cash sets in particular were absolutely necessary for group fighting, and they never put more of the tradable tokens for sale unless you paid $300 for liang. And then not even that. Dunno if Wulin put those sets in. And ancient sets kept getting more powerful 1v1.

Also most of the interesting people to fight left Wushu.

Also there's probably less getting hacked.

The power creep also got really terrible in the later expansions, which I assume will be/already is a problem in Wulin. The upper levels of the jianghu inners and ancient skills could only be practically acquired by paying real money for taels, and made their owners practically invincible against anyone not using the same stuff. Same for the highest class jade gear.

So unless gpotato actually rebalances things, Wulin is just as doomed.

Wushu at release was amazing; I sometimes think that the team that made it died in a bus crash, and all expansions past the first couple were made by interns following the orders of the CEO's idiot cousin.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

aleksendr posted:

http://www.ageofwushu.com/news/view/578

A character purge in a mmo ? Has anyone ever see such things before ?

I know Snail Usa servers are Hamster powered but in this era of 2TB storage for 80$ are they so stripped for cash they need to purge old char to make room for more gold seller and bots accounts ?

I remember Everquest had one, back when it was still popular.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Natalie_Luna posted:

Also a word of warning for all returning goons:
Stay the hell away from Uzam and Deity, they are looking for guilable cannon fodder, Uzam has been given a p2w account and is being PAID to play and recruit people, since their original tactic of drop tons of money in wushu and make fun of anyone who does not backfired and destroyed what was left of our former allies.

Stay in Goons while you visit and realize it's not worth it or hook up with Eastwind / Renegade wich are leftover Shinoob/VU, or go with what Grithok said, join Rebellion :P
I fought for them during the "merge war" (As they were the only ones representing non p2w BlueDragoners while the mergeserver guilds trashtalked us all), I can invite people back into Goons if you want but
there is literally noone doing anything so all you get is occasional PMs from people thanking you for our old Wiki or asking where all the Goons are and when they will come back ;)

Rebellion represents non p2w? In what little of Wushu I played after the merge, before quitting for good, they had some of the highest concentrations of ancient skills and maxed out jianghu inners I'd seen in the game.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
My prediction: It will seem amazing for the first few weeks, then the massive grind and ridiculous pay2win bullshit will become apparent, and the cycle will continue.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

silentlament posted:

Looks like they are releasing on iOS and Android

https://m.facebook.com/ageofwushudynasty/

I'm in the closed beta of that. Surprisingly enough, it's pretty well done. Everything's smaller and simplified, and the perspective is fixed, but it has the overt > feint > parry system, flying skills, and open pvp. It does seem like it's going to be even more grindy and pay2win than its pc counterpart though. Once I went through enough of the seemingly endless newbie quests to unlock pvp, I found that I could barely scratch higher level players, even if they were afk.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I'm not going to bother looking, but I'm guessing that the Tangmen one still sucks rear end compared to the second.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Skion posted:

Opposite, its pretty much the same inner but better. Something something build stacks that max out at 30% crit/crit damage and 30% dodge.

That's a terrible answer. Now I'm tempted to reinstall a dying poorly designed pay2win garbage game.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If the game used Wushu's martial arts, it would be great. I am guessing it won't though.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

angerbeet posted:

I still think fondly back of paying for an MMO with Subway cards. The employees at the Subway were starting to get suspicious because I bought so many, but never any subs.

I think I eventually explained it as using them as a prize for office raffles or something.

The advice is years late, but you could reload the subway card online. Wushu players and money launderers are probably the only people who have ever done that.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

randombattle posted:

Almost as crazy as yanman pass.

“Oh boss fight coming up who is gonna float 21 feet in the air constantly for an hour by juggling skills while we try to not reset one of these 3 bosses?”

I sometimes wonder what the designer's intended strategy for that place was. Weirdest MMO dungeons I've ever played, even accounting for the cultural gap.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
In addition to the increasingly blatant pay2win stuff, there was also a massive amount of account hacking and kidnapping bots monopolizing one of the few ways to get the tradeable currency in the game.

It's a shame. If there were private servers run by people more competent than Snail, I would still be playing.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Delamore posted:

USA wushu was just a cheap cash in with the absolute minimum effort and some actual shady stuff going on behind the scenes, I wonder how many employees were even at that company.
It's actually pretty common american companies to buy the rights to Asian MMOs and just put the minimum effort in to cash in on it. Often it ends up a real mess because they release the patches with the same sort of timing they did on the original version rather than in any sensible way, so exploits that took a while to get discovered and patched on the original linger just as long on the US version but people who played the original know about them way early.
But I guess it was all part of what made the game fun, a google translation we could barely scratch the surface of and information outside the game being scarce and in Chinese. The fact that Asian players had information too playing into some sort of inscrutable wise Chinese inhabitants vs intruding and inexperienced foreigners story.
Even with datamining this game was a mystery but some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO.

I wish someone with actual knowledge of what the hell was going on at Snail would talk, how was the ban then pay for unban thing setup? how many people were employed? Did they actually have translators or did they just wing it with machine translation? was there even a support team?

Releasing content patches in the same order as their release on the China servers makes sense. But doing the same thing with the security patches is such an amazing level of lazy incompetence that they deserve some sort of reward.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Teketeketeketeke posted:

What a pain in the rear end lol.

The vandalism sounds hilarious and goon house destruction parties would have been amazing if it was in the game back in the day. But at heart it's a predatory money sink that demonstrates what went wrong with the game.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

My friend was waxing nostalga about this game and dragged me and a couple buddies along. I am currently suffering.

What is even left of the game at this point? 5 whales and 1000 kidnapping bots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I wish more games had PvP encounters in their dungeons.

Only thing close I've found is Destiny 2's Gambit mode, where 2 teams race to clear waves of enemies in two separate battlefields, and occasionally a portal opens up that lets someone invade the other team's battlefield and kill them to set back their progress.