Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
It's been like a year and a half since I last played Age of Wushu for real, but I had to drop in to say that I'm going to be going to Mount Emei this summer. Finally I will learn- and report back- the proper pronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I always thought it was "eee-mai" but maybe that's just me. I'll probably save a sound clip of the locals pronouncing it and upload over a VPN, unsure.

It's funny, the professor writing my letter of recommendation for the study abroad program is Chinese as well as a practitioner of Tai-Chi and Wing-Chun and he and I were able to have a convincing discussion about everything from Wudang philosophy to the Sunflower Manual, despite all of my knowledge coming from Age of Wushu and Kung Fu Hustle. He, uh, seemed decidedly less impressed when I let that slip.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Anal Papist posted:

TLDR: feedz tricked a bunch of us into having actual interviews all so we could be tracked with far more dedication and accuracy than sex offenders. To have us work 4-8 hour shifts watching a kraken and occasionaly fighting until we out sperged the other groupoften for days or in one case weeks. We had our chat monitored, our pockets were riffled through and we were harrassed if we weren't the correct spec or had poo poo gear because we had no money because all game time was consumed by the kraken.
I get that you're trying to make the whole experience sound awful but honestly that sounds amazing. I wish I had stuck with ArcheAge long enough to serve under an almost literal Captain Ahab. Even if it wouldn't be fun at the time, what a story to tell, man.

So Age of Wushu is dead then? I really miss it and was thinking of coming back, even if only for a tour. Is Age of Wulin better?

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I'll check out Age of Wulin with some kind of ping accelerator. Is Swordsman Online any good? Or should I just wait for Moonlight Blade or whatever?

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Skion posted:

Really the only negative with wulin is that books and all events are around 6 hours earlier then wushu.

That and you lose all your progress in Wushu. That's one thing making me hold off on signing up. Another is that Moonlight Blade drops in 12 days and that looks amazing, so might be worth waiting for that, play with a big Goon group again. Either way I'm going to be going to actual China at the end of June, so I'll only have a month of playtime tops. Although while I'm there I could just buy a Chinese SIM card and do whatever they have over there, I don't know. Is a SIM card all I need to get into these betas and stuff? Even if it's not connected to any carriers?

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Ohhhh, I hadn't been reading the dates right, Moonlight Blade enters CLOSED beta on the 28th of this month. The Moonlight Blade website won't translate in Google Translate, at least not without some optical reader work, so I have no idea how to sign up.

Guess I'll just download Wulin.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
All I know is that fellow goons helped me out in AoW way more than I ever repaid them, or even could repay them. We had a crazy internal economy going on.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
http://en.wulin.webzen.com/News/announcements/1425195/15-04-2015/Week-1-Keep-your-account-safe-with-the-Webzen-Security-Month
This official link includes not one, not two, but three Reddit-tier meme images. In order to illustrate security.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Age of Wulin does not appear to have Jet Li

I miss Jet Li

Zipline
May 9, 2013

So many memories. Gone... like tears in rain.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Dinking around on Age of Wulin just makes me want to play Age of Wushu again. Why is it that everyone prefers Wulin again? What are its specific benefits over Wushu?

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I'm downloading Wushu right now. I'm going to give it another shot, maybe they have rebalanced things. This new expansion that hits today (5/20) looks enormous and fun to mess around with.

I'll be curious to see if the game is playable without Goon guides

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Maybe the Chinese have changed!

Zipline
May 9, 2013

angerbeet posted:

I just wanted to see what was new in the update, but all of my bags are expired and I went to an inn and... All of my clothing is stuck in a box?

Server merge seems to have done an OK job though, lots of pubs even in Luoyang and Suzhou

It's Tim for goons to return to.. Chinabame.exe

Cmon Haquer you know you can't resist

Facing the same issue. All of my bags and boxes are expired, my mail box is full, my inventory is full, and I can't remember my item protection password. Until I get a GM to respond to my email request for a reset I'm boned. That said, there are a lot of timers going now for rewards. One that I'm working on is 5 hours (!) long. I better get some kind of crazy reward at the end. What's the limit for AFK logout?

Zipline
May 9, 2013

FebrezeNinja posted:

There is (was?) no afk timeout.

I just assumed they added one since I got up to take out the trash and when I came back the game was closed. Apparently it just crashed to desktop. That's much better!

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Haquer posted:

I sold my character :v:

Could make a new one. They're dumping all kinds of accelerated training manuals and pills on accounts right now.

EDIT: If anyone is playing again my main's IGN is Kuanfeng

Zipline fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 21, 2015

Zipline
May 9, 2013
So wait wait wait. Wait. Wait.

I stopped checking this thread for a few months because I read that you need a Chinese phone number to get into the closed beta and I did not have access to one of those. Now that I do and am physically located in China I read that not only is the game in open beta, goons have been playing it for weeks now, AND I never actually needed a Chinese phone number! Ah! Ahh!

On top of that I am now moving so quickly around China that despite having my gaming laptop with me (it weighs a lot) I have no time to play the game. Even if I do find a few hours to try out the game that is currently downloading to my computer my connection will quite literally be China-tier and I will be curbstomped.

AHHHHHHHH. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I have spent the last two months in China. During that time I climbed the actual Mt. Hua, constructed my own Dog Beating Staff to fend off monkeys, carried scrolls in a backpack, dropped money into beggars' bowls, went through the gates of Nanjing's city walls, walked the Path of 99 Bends, and more. I have seen things I cannot describe in words or capture in pictures.

But the entire trip all I wanted to do was get home and play Moonlight Blade. Or, rather, play Age of Wushu with a not-bad company, but I don't think that will happen. Having been to China I can say that as amazing as this trip was, seeing an idealized version in digital form is superior. And much, much, much cheaper.

Please tell me goons are still playing this.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
I can't get into the beta. QQ simply will not allow me to register. I've followed every guide I can get my hands on but the process always fails and no matter which number I use it never goes beyond the mobile verification phase. I've been trying for a week straight, I think it's time to call it quits. Hopefully a QQ account won't be needed for the English beta. When that comes out next year if we're lucky of course...

In the meantime, some wuxia pics from my trip.

Look who I spotted in a shop window in Suzhou!

Is it? Could it be?

It is! Copyrighted art ripped off by another Chinese company. What is this world coming to.

This statue in Nanjing brought back some fond memories.
''

Climbing Mt. Hua to attend the competition.

On the slopes of Mt. Emei.

The mountain is infested with capricious wild monkeys, so to fend them off I took two lengths of bamboo and constructed myself a...

Though since it's monkeys and not dogs I was dealing with I altered some things...

If you ever stay at the Teddy Bear Inn at the base of Mt. Emei be sure and look for my staff. I left it behind in the care of the employees for use by later travelers. See that you're one of them, for it served me well.

When I was in Shanghai I passed through the primary pedestrian tunnel connecting the city's main park with a gigantic all-luxury-brand mall, and I just had to take a video of the ads plastered on every single wall down the whole length.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfT16hvqWo

I'm disappointed I did not visit Dengfeng in Hunan province, where the Shaolin Monastery is located. I spoke to another traveler who had been there and he says the entire city's economy revolves around kung fu, with robed acolytes following masters through the streets and temples on every corner.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
What can I say, something about China just brings out the wuxia in the best of us

If anyone is still playing Moonlight Blade or AoW, is there a VoIP server up?

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Unguided posted:

What was the thing that looked like this?

Carrying scroll cases during Script Stealing.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
The mobile version is out now officially. Echoing the previous sentiment it's actually pretty good, but drat, it's just not the same. It really isn't. It has the mechanics and the overall aesthetic but it all turns to ashes in my mouth. My hopes for Moonlight Blade are high enough that they could pierce the heavens.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Haquer posted:

Moonlight Blade from all accounts seems to be more in line with WoW rather than its own weird niche thing like Wushu :(

I haven't tried it yet. How do you mean?

Dynasty definitely has the weird niche thing going on. So far every enemy I've fought has been Japanese, a crossdresser, or both.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Also while it's not grindy in the conventional sense, I wasn't working or at uni those 2 months and even playing the poo poo out of it I still felt behind the curve. I'm not sure I'd have the time for it anymore.

So it's like in AoW where you have to keep up with the power curve to do well at all? I don't want to get into a situation where I start 3 months late and have no chance.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

TheRagamuffin posted:

I don't remember this being the case in AoW, though? When the cap was Spiritually Balanced, at least...

It was pretty pronounced at the very top tiers that a lot of goons played at. I didn't feel it as strongly because I never had the reaction time for real PvP, but a friend of mine started up when we were already Spiritually Balanced and struggled for a while. Eventually he rerolled as Wudang and used their OP internal combined with the Tangmen dart set to rout people conning red and purple to him. It's possible but requires specific builds and crazy skill, in other words.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Essentially the only reason I come to SA any more is to check this thread for news of Age of Wushu or Moonlight Blade coming to the West. Now both are happening.

This is a good day

Zipline
May 9, 2013

kznlol posted:

First question starts to make sense after fiddling with it a bit. The first part seems to be just saying something about Wushu 2, but the second part says "You will be the name of the number of wandering rivers and lakes". Numbers through 20 don't seem to work, and I'm guessing in any case that they dont expect a random Chinese person to know the number of rivers and lakes in China.

[edit2] Jianghu translates as "rivers and lakes"

This post amuses me greatly

Zipline
May 9, 2013
AoW is probably the first game that made me realize how bad my skills have gotten. I would get so frustrated with how bad I was at PvP. Then a buddy of mine started playing and powergamed up a Tang that used darts and all kinds of cheap skills and he was basically unstoppable, and I just lost the will to play.

Which is a real shame because it was magical. Anyone remember that gigantic snake in a cavern way out in the middle of nowhere, for no reason?

Zipline
May 9, 2013
You have gotta be joking. I don't check this thread for like 3 months and everyone jumps BACK IN to Wushu, plays for 2 days, and jumps out.

Reading the last 100 posts was a rollercoaster of hope, joy, and bitter tears

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

Thank you for reminding me about jizzwhiz420

Tell me. Tell me the tale of Jizzwhiz420.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Was the major issue Snail USA or just Age of Wushu itself? As in, if we were Chinese and playing on the Chinese server, would it have been functional?

I lean towards "no". The cash shop stuff was egregious, though my real reason for leaving was just not having the reaction time necessary any more. That's what it all came down to, cash and reaction time.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
To play devil's advocate for a second, can you imagine being the scrub programmer excited to start his new career in gaming and then your first project is figuring out how to translate AoW for Western audiences? Good God, how do you explain the Meridian system alone? Or the references to Chinese folklore? Why are we cutting our balls off?

I got my degree in Chinese history and I can't even begin

Third World Reagan posted:

I miss being able to put out of game images into chat

or no prompt links

It's now officially been 7 years, can one of you finally tell me how that was done

Zipline
May 9, 2013

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

My entire Age of Wushu experience was some kind of insane fever dream. I remember:
-Kidnapping offline players and selling them to a shop
If you weren't selling your kidnap victims into prostitution were you even playing Age of Wushu?
Also, probably my favorite memory was waking up at the crack of dawn to log in in time to witness my best friend be executed in the town square for crimes against humanity.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Playing Bejeweled to craft stuff was a fun quirk, too.
Not only was crafting super relaxing after a PvP bout but I could use all those 1337 strats my mom developed while playing Bejeweled on her phone in line at the post office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Guide me, oh Chinagamers. Which do I jump into next?

-Sword of Legends Online (after next week's F2P transition/expansion)
-Age of Wushu (Taiwan server)
-Eating Chinese food in the bathtub (alone)