Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Of all the things to nearly ruin a recording session, I did not expect it to be not realizing that my iPhone earbuds had their own microphone in them.

That has been the least encumbering issue we've encountered since we started this LP. Well, we can only go up from here, I suppose...

Quite literally, I mean. Our next two chapters are taking us up a mountain and then into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I was doing some looking around the Killzone tag on Tumblr to see what the fandom has been posting online. I came across something from Mercenary, which I decided to post here since that game currently isn't getting played for the LP.

During the multiplayer, you get valor cards (like the deck of "most wanted war criminals" issued during the initial post-9/11 war in Iraq and Afghanistan) that you pick up from killing opponents. All of the cards were made by Tom Mac and feature characters from throughout the Killzone trilogy and Mercenary. Since she's already appeared in the game and won't be around again, let's honor our not-love interest.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

High atop Vekta's mountains, the squad land in their stolen transport and start the upward journey on foot to the Orbital Station.

Enter Templar, Luger, Velasquez, Hakha

VELASQUEZ
I guess landing at the top of the mountain was too easy, huh?

TEMPLAR
T'was nearest we could afford.
Forget not that Adams predicts our arrival.

LUGER
Jan, when this is yet over--

TEMPLAR
It shalt be over nevermore.
Nay, not for many years,
If at all.

Exit Templar and Luger

VELASQUEZ
What's up with them?

HAKHA
Hath thou eyes failed thee?

VELASQUEZ
No, why don't you tell me.

HAKHA
Forsooth, yonder special forces captain,
Young, fresh-faced, and in love for the first time,
And all the world is promised to his lover.
Yet, she has other plans stewing.
They meet again, nine months past,
But the young captain's lover hath changéd.
Now she is an assassin, trained to kill.
Trained to think, not feel.
Act, not reflect.
Ah, she is yet almost perfect.
Though, I suspect the Captain feels otherwise.

Exit Hakha

VELASQUEZ
You know what? I think you're full of poo poo.

Interesting chapter here. There are less stages than usual--we have two, as opposed to our usual three or four--but their length is growing, as both take about 15 minutes to complete. There's not a whole lot of plot development here, but there's some interesting character stuff going on.

For one, it appears Luger is trying to reach out to Jan. This whole game, between firefights, he has been kind of whiny and broody about their past relationship. Now that he's not being such a goon about it, Luger appears to be broaching the subject of her own accord. What is she offering though? To rekindle a romance? No, I doubt it. That's not in-character for Luger. They've been through a lot with the Helghast invasion. Vekta City has been bombed, they've lost friends, family, father-figures, and who knows what else. Luger is showing some basic human empathy. At this point, though, Templar has dehumanized himself and face to bloodshed or whatever and rejects her attempt at conversation. Honestly, I don't think Luger is too broken up about it. If Jan wants to be sullen, fine. At least he isn't making inappropriate comments and flirting with her in the middle of a warzone.

Also, Rico and Hakha are bonding! Sort of. Rico is oblivious and needs Templar and Luger's relationship spelled out for him and feels comfortable enough asking Hakha. He still thinks Hakha is full of poo poo, but hey, baby-steps. Also, I'm pretty sure Rico worships the ground that Templar walks on, so any talk of Templar being less than perfect probably annoys Rico.

Otherwise, not too much to say about this mission.

BLR-06 Hadra MRL

The heaviest and deadliest anti-tank weapon in the invading Helghast's armoury. In fact, this is the very rocket launcher that took our Templar and co. when they hijacked those boats way back at the docks. It has three 6mm rocket tubes that can be fired one-at-a-time or simultaneously. When the are launched simultaneously, they are lobbed out in an arc like a grenade launcher, maximizing their spread, but losing distance. It's not terribly useful because we don't really come across this weapon in anti-tank situations. There are no armoured enemies to fight in the level. In fact, of the six rockets I get when I pick this weapon up, I waste or miss all of them. So, uh, whoop-dee-doo.

Terrible weapon placement and all that.

Also, I should note that I have no idea who manufactures these weapons. They're clearly not ISA, but neither are the affixed with codes signifying them as being for either Stahl Arms or Visari Corporation. So, it's a mystery, I guess.

Continuity error here:

In the cut-scene, Hakha reloads and holsters the ISA pistol. That's weird, though, because Hakha never spawns with the ISA pistol.

Case in point, here's Hakha with the Helghast pistol only a few moments later when the level starts.

:ghost:

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 27, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Speaking of which, I appreciate that at the 11th hour, Adams has nothing clever or witty to say. None of his attempts to stop Templar and co. have come to fruition, Lente is dead and Adams is probably not in Visari's good graces at the moment, and the Earth Fleet are currently on their way to Vekta. Things are either going to sort themselves out real soon, or everything Adams has built is gong up in flame.

If you look closely in the cutscene, you can see Adams' eye twitch.

Your time is nigh, General Anime.

Motherfucker has nothing "witty" to say in this chapter because he's crushed the skull of the only person who bothered to talk to him anymore.

...Plus Vaughton and Lente are dead now too.
:ghost:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would absolutely read Heart Of Darkness 3: Heart Harder.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh. wow. It's more Greek than Shakespearean, but the game literally ends with your squad ascending a mountain into the heavens.

:allears:
I have no words to respond with, only giggled hysteria.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh. wow. It's more Greek than Shakespearean, but the game literally ends with your squad ascending a mountain into the heavens.

:allears:
I have no words to respond with, only giggled hysteria.

Hopefully we bring back a bomb :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

So I was doing some looking around the Killzone tag on Tumblr to see what the fandom has been posting online. I came across something from Mercenary, which I decided to post here since that game currently isn't getting played for the LP.

During the multiplayer, you get valor cards (like the deck of "most wanted war criminals" issued during the initial post-9/11 war in Iraq and Afghanistan) that you pick up from killing opponents. All of the cards were made by Tom Mac and feature characters from throughout the Killzone trilogy and Mercenary. Since she's already appeared in the game and won't be around again, let's honor our not-love interest.

It's hard to make out who some of the characters are when I googled it, since I couldn't find a great shot of the whole deck, but it look like Stahl is the King Of Hearts, which is funny to me. Oh god, we're so far away from KZ3!!! We're gonna push through the sequels with a better update schedule, though. In fact, Chapter 11 of KZ1 should be ready next week, meaning we can finally put the last nail in the coffin.

CJacobs posted:

I would absolutely read Heart Of Darkness 3: Heart Harder.

Don't encourage him.

Because it should have been either Heart of Darkness 2: Heart Harder or Heart of Darkness With a Vengeance

:colbert:

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 26, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

This chapter is really pretty, and I appreciate that the progression of the game began with you stuck in the trenches and slowly climbing out of them, higher and higher. Metaphorically, of course, and literally as we are currently working our way up a mountainside with plans to hijack a shuttle to go into space.

The mission objects aren't anything challenging. Work our way up the mountain corridor and occasionally hit some buttons, but that's it. The game makes a bit of a hubbub about needing to activate certain things to connect with other things to get the thing to go into space, but really, we don't care. It's meaningless. The buttons pop up on our way up the mountain and we hit them as necessary. There's no thinking. There's only the journey.

Ever onward and upward.

As an aside, I really like this final run-up to the Orbital Platform Station. It looks really cool! You can see your destination, but you're separated by a chasm. Looking around, you can see the entire path you need to take, complete with obstacles, to get to your goal. Pretty cool for a PS2 game. Stuff like FarCry blows it out of the water, but for the time it was super neat.

So yeah, next chapter we get on one of those shuttles and go gunning for Adams.

Speaking of which, I appreciate that at the 11th hour, Adams has nothing clever or witty to say. None of his attempts to stop Templar and co. have come to fruition, Lente is dead and Adams is probably not in Visari's good graces at the moment, and the Earth Fleet are currently on their way to Vekta. Things are either going to sort themselves out real soon, or everything Adams has built is gong up in flame.

If you look closely in the cutscene, you can see Adams' eye twitch.

Your time is nigh, General Anime.

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 27, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Knowing the way these things go it would more likely be A Good Day to Dark Heart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"Mistah Kurtz..." *explosion* "You dead."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I imagine a lot of the ease of playing the rest of the series comes from them not being Killzone 1.

I still like Killzone 1 better than Halo 1.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Live Free Or Dark Heart

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Night10194 posted:

I imagine a lot of the ease of playing the rest of the series comes from them not being Killzone 1.

I still like Killzone 1 better than Halo 1.

And to think I began with the intent to show off how much fun Killzone 1 actually was. Yeah, Killzone 2 is waaaay easier to play.

I'm in the opposite camp, though. I would take Halo 1 over Killzone 1 in a heartbeat. I feel everything about Halo 1 is just done better than Killzone 1. From gameplay, to graphics, to design, etc., whatever. Bungie's previous efforts showed a depth of maturity that was reflected in their design. Compared to Guerrilla's first work, Shellshock Nam 69, it was clear they had a lot of stuff to learn. Between Killzone 2 and Halo 2, it's a bit of a toss-up. I enjoy them both for what they do. I'd say Halo 2's combat felt more intuitive and elegant, but Killzone 2's AI put up a better challenge and the story had a far better resolution. Come Killzone 3 v. Halo 3, it's no contest. I'd take Killzone 3 without a second thought. It's the big-budget summer blockbuster extravaganza that Halo 3 wanted to be.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Original Halo is an incredibly tightly designed game, while not without its flaws it was the first FPS to be designed with a console control scheme in mind and it really shows in how well the gameplay works.

Unfortunately they lost some of that when the Halo series was swept away on a tidal wave of money.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Neruz posted:

Original Halo is an incredibly tightly designed game, while not without its flaws it was the first FPS to be designed with a console control scheme in mind and it really shows in how well the gameplay works.

Unfortunately they lost some of that when the Halo series was swept away on a tidal wave of money.

Goldeneye :colbert:

Also man there's some crazy stuff on Wikipedia about the development process:

Some Sperg posted:

At one time, developers planned to implement the reloading of the weapons by the player unplugging and re-inserting the Rumble Pak on the Nintendo 64 controller, though this idea was discarded at Nintendo's behest.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

whowhatwhere posted:

Goldeneye :colbert:

Also man there's some crazy stuff on Wikipedia about the development process:

The difference is that Goldeneye failed at good controls, like I don't know if you've ever gone and played Goldeneye on an N64 controller recently but goddamn I don't even know how I managed to ever shoot anything with that control scheme. That game has not aged well.

At the time it was pretty amazing but wow is it flawed by modern standards.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 8, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I scoff at the concept of auto-aim in shooter games today, but I pray for it when I go back to the N64. I mean, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the Turok games handled alright regardless, but it was still crazy difficult to aim accurately at anything that above or below you without twin sticks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've been playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on an emulator with an Xbox 360 controller and it's still not exactly ideal because of how the motion was balanced for a stick and set of four buttons. I end up with a weird hybrid control scheme where the left stick is the regular joystick and the right stick takes over for the C buttons. It works surprisingly well (certainly better than the original controller), but it takes a lot of practice.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Blind Sally posted:

I scoff at the concept of auto-aim in shooter games today, but I pray for it when I go back to the N64. I mean, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the Turok games handled alright regardless, but it was still crazy difficult to aim accurately at anything that above or below you without twin sticks.

Good God, this is one of the reasons whenever anyone brings up GoldenEye as the pinnacle of gaming I just kind of scoff and ignore them. I'm glad game designers realized the futility in trying to use a single joystick for controllers and evolved the concept. Nintendo may have been on the cutting edge at that point but everyone saw how awkward it was to use the joystick to move and then use a button in combination for precision aiming while you stood there like a chud.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

If memory serves, Quake 2 on the N64 actually didn't blow for this. I think you controlled your movement with the C-buttons in standard tank-control fashion, and aimed with the stick. The exact details might be off but I remember finding it way more natural to control than GoldenEye, despite being a bit too much of a pussy little kid to want to play it through all the way.

Regarding FPS controls, I've found Shadowfall a bit regressive for the KZ series. I definitely think 3 has been the zenith of Killzone's control scheme and fluidity. Shadowfall just feels a tad stiff and sluggish. Also the protagonist is loving Vanilla McWhitebread and it really kills my desire to continue playing through it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I understand why Halo 1 was designed how it was and Neruz is right that it was well designed for the difficulty of aiming with console sticks (at least, until you get ridiculously used to aiming with console sticks like some people), I just can't help but find the game absolutely mind-numbingly boring. A friend of mine wanted co-op help with the Library and by the time we were done I never wanted to see that game again.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Night10194 posted:

I understand why Halo 1 was designed how it was and Neruz is right that it was well designed for the difficulty of aiming with console sticks (at least, until you get ridiculously used to aiming with console sticks like some people), I just can't help but find the game absolutely mind-numbingly boring. A friend of mine wanted co-op help with the Library and by the time we were done I never wanted to see that game again.

It's kind of getting to be like goldeneye in the regards that it did a bunch of really cool new things, but since then people have found lots of ways to do those things better. Some of the things that were really neat at the time(Shields and health actually functioning differently) have lost a lot of their novelty when every shooter ever has regenerating health these days. It doesn't help that if I remember the campaign right it featured lots of padding levels where you literally played the same level again but backwards.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

It's kind of getting to be like goldeneye in the regards that it did a bunch of really cool new things, but since then people have found lots of ways to do those things better. Some of the things that were really neat at the time(Shields and health actually functioning differently) have lost a lot of their novelty when every shooter ever has regenerating health these days. It doesn't help that if I remember the campaign right it featured lots of padding levels where you literally played the same level again but backwards.

It had two of those, since one level involved tromping through the Siberian wasteland and the next was infiltrating the Severnaya bunker. Then later in the game you go back to do the exact same thing and get captured....and put in a different part of the bunker that has jail cells.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FoolyCharged posted:

An therein lies the brilliance of Halo! I always hear a lot of flak towards the circular nature of the level design or towards the Library itself, but drat, those were my favourite bits! The whole story, after all, revolves around the titular Halo ring. The war with the Covenant takes back seat to this. Hell, the war with the Flood takes back seat to this. The goddamned Halo ring can destroy an entire sector of space. (We later find out that several Halo rings can basically destroy the entire galaxy--these are frightening weapons of mass destruction, meant to hearken back to the nuclear fears our own society held post WWII). It's total destruction! What is a piddly war in comparison?

It's fitting, very fitting, then, that the level design reflects the ring itself. You begin on the Pillar Of Autumn, fight your way through Halo's various biomes until you find yourself at the Library. The Library is the tipping point of the game. The tipping point of the story. The Flood are released, 343 Guilty Spark reveals truths about the ring, and the stage is set to trigger what is effectively a gigantic space nuke! Considering we're walking on a giant space nuke, it's fitting that the Library functions like a lock of sorts. It's a maze. A Labyrinth, if you will (is it coincidence that Library and Labyrinth both begin with the letter "L"? Can't large libraries become labyrinthine in nature?). Guarding the functions of the Library, are the Flood. A species that looks like horrifically burned, scarred, and mutated victims of nuclear blasts. If you can't overcome them, you succumb to their radioactive purpose and become one of them.

So yes, the Library is a slog, but a necessary one, that shows narrative brilliance. If you can overcome these nuclear victims, the god in the machine, 343 guilty spark, will give you access to control the bomb, so that Master Chief, the pinnacle of the American Hero, can triumph over the Combined Control of the Covenant Powers (CCCP) or USSR. And as with history, the levels of Halo repeat themselves, reflecting the cyclical nature of Halo. It represents the structure's shape, sure, but it also represents the circular nature of war, of fear, of terror, and of ultimate destruction. After all, the Halo rings have been fired before, and you're about to fire them again. Only this time, yes, you're going through the levels backwards. And this time they are filled with the horrific survivors of nuclear war, the malformed and disgusting Flood.

This time, though, you are armed with the knowledge of nuclear death. Cortana, the representation of human wisdom, warns us of our doom, of the dangers of nuclear power. She encourages to betray the god in the machine, to cast aside 343, and to fight our war with conventional means. So that's what the good ol'USA does, when Master Chief returns to the Pillar of Autumn and turns it into a conventional explosive. Thus, we disarm the nuke, free the system from its grip of terror, leaving the USA and the USSR to continue their battle with conventional means.

The title of the game is actually Halo: Cold War Evolved. Stay tuned for mine and nine-gear crow's next LP, "Let's Play The Halo Trilogy - A Shakespearean Analysis Of The Cold War".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think LPing Killzone like this is damaging Blind Sally's ability to interpret video games. He can't turn it off.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Night10194 posted:

To be fair, that's the shittiest part of the entire game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Glukeose posted:

But, no! It's the most brilliant part :negative:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glukeose posted:

I know, but I just can't be charitable to the game after having to play through that poo poo. God only knows why I liked Killzone 1 when I was younger, mind.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Night10194 posted:

I know, but I just can't be charitable to the game after having to play through that poo poo. God only knows why I liked Killzone 1 when I was younger, mind.

I was in the hospital for Ketoacidosis and they gave me a ps2 to play with in the ward. Amid the super kid-friendly games I saw Killzone, and let me tell you, Killzone 1 is a better experience than chronic vomiting and being pumped full of fluids!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

One of the really big things they did in Halo that almost nobody actually noticed was enemy AI; the enemy AI in Halo is very carefully tweaked and designed so that it moves and takes cover and shoots at you in ways that make it easier for you to shoot back, all in the name of making thumbstick FPS's work properly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, the AI in Killzone 1 does the same thing!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Hey, the AI in Killzone 1 does the same thing!

well except for the taking cover bit. It isn't so good at that bit.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Neruz posted:

One of the really big things they did in Halo that almost nobody actually noticed was enemy AI; the enemy AI in Halo is very carefully tweaked and designed so that it moves and takes cover and shoots at you in ways that make it easier for you to shoot back, all in the name of making thumbstick FPS's work properly.

Then developers introduced snap-to aiming and made games just expensive shooting galleries. Auto aim is near necessary if you want a chance on a console just because the sticks aren't going to be as accurate as a mouse and keyboard and without some degree of assistance you would have a hell of a time hitting things consistently.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
As a member of the PC Master Race I am personally of the opinion that the entire FPS genre is simply untenable on consoles without covering the player in ludicrous crutches like auto aim and even when you get an FPS that is playable with a console controller it would still play better with a mouse and keyboard.

Console controllers are amazing for third person action and platforming games and are far superior to a keyboard and mouse for those, but anyone who thinks an FPS is a good idea with thumbstick controls has gone mad.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Neruz posted:

As a member of the PC Master Race I am personally of the opinion that the entire FPS genre is simply untenable on consoles without covering the player in ludicrous crutches like auto aim and even when you get an FPS that is playable with a console controller it would still play better with a mouse and keyboard.

Console controllers are amazing for third person action and platforming games and are far superior to a keyboard and mouse for those, but anyone who thinks an FPS is a good idea with thumbstick controls has gone mad.

Yeah, but 99% of all pc games don't have a good split screen with your buddies on the couch option. It might not play as well, but consoles are a lot easier to multiplayer in the same room than computers.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, but 99% of all pc games don't have a good split screen with your buddies on the couch option. It might not play as well, but consoles are a lot easier to multiplayer in the same room than computers.

I'm not saying consoles don't have advantages; the PC Master Race thing was a joke. But FPS's that succeed on consoles do so in spite of the fact that the control scheme is terrible and typically have to use a number of crutch mechanics in order to make the game playable with thumbsticks.

I'm not even saying people shouldn't make FPS games on consoles; manifestly there is plenty of money to be made there and with practice people can become quite good at the controls. But none of that changes the fact that a console controller is a strictly inferior method of control to a keyboard and mouse for an FPS.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

FoolyCharged posted:

I don't think there's been a really good argument for split screen in the last ten or so years. Racing or fighting games, sure, but split screen FPS games have not really been the norm or even part of a promoted features list for like a decade. Outside of Halo I guess.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Split screen seems to be one of those things that most people don't really care about anymore thanks to the ubiquitousness of internet connections in this modern era, there is however a small but loud minority who feel that split screen multiplayer and the ability to sit on a couch with a bunch of friends and play a game together is the holy grail of gaming and they will murder you before they let you take their split screen away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
So Trizophenie sent me a message on Steam this morning. Something about extended LPs. There was a link too:

https://twitter.com/killzone/status/565209855263113217

• Locked thread