Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

That's an interesting bit of happenstance in regard to casting of the games. The ISA don't have any big name stars or even big name voice actors attached to them outside of Sean Pertwee, which in and of itself is undermined since Hakha's half-Helghast and the other characters he voiced in the series are pure Helghast. Meanwhile, the Helghans have Brian Cox, Malcolm McDowell, and Ray Winstone on their side.

That really does factor into a major issue I have with the series and the reason I couldn't finish 2. The Helghast are so much more interesting than the ISA it's absurd. They have all the cool outfits and gear, all the great VA and lines, all the interesting backstory and motivation, and the ISA are just... grunts. It's really clear that all of the creativity goes into Helghast after awhile. It's not so bad now but in Killzone 2 the contrast between the ISA storytelling and the Helghast storytelling is dramatic. The Helghast are having speeches about pride and duty and personal sacrifice to protect their world and the ISA are grunting at eachother and engaging in the most obnoxious action-military dialog I've heard in awhile.

I couldn't finish it because I was so fed up with all the characters I was constantly surrounded by. Now maybe that was the point, something about grey areas and the good guys being bad guys too, but it's grating at best when you're stuck with the personifications of that for like 8 hours. I really shouldn't be spending my entire time with a game wishing I was playing as the bad guys instead. I don't care if the Helghast are space nazis, the ISA do something worse than be space nazis, they're boring.

Neruz posted:

Some of that is probably from publishers going "no it needs to be more like Call of Duty" or something to that effect; forcing the devs to 'genericify' the good guys but not caring about whether the bad guys are deep or interesting so long as they look evil. So the devs can probably get away with a lot more storytelling with the Helghast because they're the antagonists.

Antagonists are usually always more interesting indeed, and I had thoughts along the same lines as you when I was playing it. I get why it's like that, but that doesn't make it any better to play.

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Lotish posted:

I have no experience with the game, and I automatically like the Helghast more just because the ISA look loving dumb and generic and in every commercial I've seen they talk like absolute assholes.

Then for once, marketing is accurately presenting a product.

• Locked thread