Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This is a really cool LP. I've always heard that the series had a good backstory that is barely touched in the games, so it's great to actually see these games as being part of this huge, pessimistic history of the future.

I own 2, 3, and Mercenary, but the only one I was close to finishing was 2, although I gave up before they patched the final boss to be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

It takes ships about ten years to get to Helghan/Vekta. (assuming there haven't been any more advancements in propulsion technology that would allow ships to go faster.) The reason Helghan is a chokepoint isn't because of the territory, it's because it's literally the only place to get fuel for several light-years. Sure you could try to move past them while not getting any fuel, but what are you gonna do when you run out, in the middle of nowhere, or on a collision course with a planet, or the star in the system you're in? And even if Helghan isn't the only place to get fuel, it's certainly the closest, and I would think that even after 10 years your tank might be running a little low. And remember, even if you're dealing with just trade ships, and not colony ships, these things are taking around ten years to get to Helghan, then ten years to get back, or maybe a couple more years to get where they're going. Unlike in something like Star Wars; traveling between planets isn't something you can just DO. You can't press a button and zoom into hyperspace and appear above Gyre for a cup of tea around lunch time. Traveling between planets in the Killzone universe still takes YEARS.

This is what interested me so much about 2001: A Space Odyssey, which was the seven year journey to Jupiter (or Saturn, in the novel). Space travel should feel lonely, isolated, and empty, and I'd love to play a game that captured this feel of a space voyage.

• Locked thread