Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Some of that is probably from publishers going "no it needs to be more like Call of Duty" or something to that effect; forcing the devs to 'genericify' the good guys but not caring about whether the bad guys are deep or interesting so long as they look evil. So the devs can probably get away with a lot more storytelling with the Helghast because they're the antagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Three generations is indeed an extremely short time for widespread genetic change, however that said when evolution does occur it does actually tend to happen rather rapidly in response to the environment and as you mentioned the story talks about genetic conditioning so it is not unreasonable to suggest that Helghan geneticists have helped evolution along.

Improbable, but not impossible given the context.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Helghast are pretty ovbiously supposed to evoke a mishmash of Axis forces during WWII, Russians during the Cold War, North Korea and various other similar 'threat to the west' style nations.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gildiss posted:

And they're bald.

Makes em look more sinister, same as the gas masks.

It's kind of funny that while justifying why the Helghast look like demon nazi super soldiers the devs managed to create a more interesting story than any other part of the game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Blind Sally posted:

I was waiting for a somewhat natural segue to come up in this thread's conversation for this, and I figure this is as good a time as any close as I'll get so--

Special Delivery: Combat knife to the chest!

THE MAIL ALWAYS GOES THROUGH! :black101:

I love how the pov jumps over a rocket.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I get the feeling General Anime would have been right at home in WWI.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Liquid hydrogen coolant would be so explosive :psyduck:

Use helium you fools, helium doesn't explode.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Blind Sally posted:

But, no--no, it can't be! Killzone is Shakespeare! :negative:

Good news, Shakespeare was the incredibly dumb lowest common denominator poop joke entertainer of his time, really dumb plot does not disqualify something from being Shakespeare! (See Romeo and Juliet).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

nine-gear crow posted:

Add:

• x1 idiot wiping the thermal grease off his CPU nearly melting the thing by accident.

:sweatdrop:

:golfclap:

"Oh my CPU is all greasy I should wipe it off ew yucky grease" *explosion*

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I read enough Shakespeare in high school literature classes to last me the rest of my life.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You can have enough of anything, especially when the things in question are basically soap operas written in a funny language that is almost but not quite comprehensible english.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Helghast are definitely not the same as current human beings; possessing a number of minor genetic alterations. None of the alterations are significant enough to prevent Helghast from breeding with other humans though so they are still human, just a human subspecies or 'breed' if you will.

Genetics is pretty flexible when it comes to breeding so it takes quite a lot of genetic changes to fully speciate and so long as the Helghast continue to interact with and breed with the rest of the human population they will never fully speciate and will remain a human subspecies.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 3, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

nine-gear crow posted:

Mother of god, what have you done to my table of contents? :cripes:

It was blindsided :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh. wow. It's more Greek than Shakespearean, but the game literally ends with your squad ascending a mountain into the heavens.

:allears:
I have no words to respond with, only giggled hysteria.

Hopefully we bring back a bomb :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Knowing the way these things go it would more likely be A Good Day to Dark Heart.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Original Halo is an incredibly tightly designed game, while not without its flaws it was the first FPS to be designed with a console control scheme in mind and it really shows in how well the gameplay works.

Unfortunately they lost some of that when the Halo series was swept away on a tidal wave of money.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

whowhatwhere posted:

Goldeneye :colbert:

Also man there's some crazy stuff on Wikipedia about the development process:

The difference is that Goldeneye failed at good controls, like I don't know if you've ever gone and played Goldeneye on an N64 controller recently but goddamn I don't even know how I managed to ever shoot anything with that control scheme. That game has not aged well.

At the time it was pretty amazing but wow is it flawed by modern standards.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 8, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

I understand why Halo 1 was designed how it was and Neruz is right that it was well designed for the difficulty of aiming with console sticks (at least, until you get ridiculously used to aiming with console sticks like some people), I just can't help but find the game absolutely mind-numbingly boring. A friend of mine wanted co-op help with the Library and by the time we were done I never wanted to see that game again.

One of the really big things they did in Halo that almost nobody actually noticed was enemy AI; the enemy AI in Halo is very carefully tweaked and designed so that it moves and takes cover and shoots at you in ways that make it easier for you to shoot back, all in the name of making thumbstick FPS's work properly.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
As a member of the PC Master Race I am personally of the opinion that the entire FPS genre is simply untenable on consoles without covering the player in ludicrous crutches like auto aim and even when you get an FPS that is playable with a console controller it would still play better with a mouse and keyboard.

Console controllers are amazing for third person action and platforming games and are far superior to a keyboard and mouse for those, but anyone who thinks an FPS is a good idea with thumbstick controls has gone mad.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, but 99% of all pc games don't have a good split screen with your buddies on the couch option. It might not play as well, but consoles are a lot easier to multiplayer in the same room than computers.

I'm not saying consoles don't have advantages; the PC Master Race thing was a joke. But FPS's that succeed on consoles do so in spite of the fact that the control scheme is terrible and typically have to use a number of crutch mechanics in order to make the game playable with thumbsticks.

I'm not even saying people shouldn't make FPS games on consoles; manifestly there is plenty of money to be made there and with practice people can become quite good at the controls. But none of that changes the fact that a console controller is a strictly inferior method of control to a keyboard and mouse for an FPS.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Split screen seems to be one of those things that most people don't really care about anymore thanks to the ubiquitousness of internet connections in this modern era, there is however a small but loud minority who feel that split screen multiplayer and the ability to sit on a couch with a bunch of friends and play a game together is the holy grail of gaming and they will murder you before they let you take their split screen away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Blind Sally posted:

The answer is: no. You do not go to space in KZ:M

KZ:M confirmed as being worse than Wolfenstein:TNO

• Locked thread