Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Pretty much this. They are basically sitting on the only fuel source future trade/colony ships have in the closest star system to Earth's. And remember, in the Killzone universe, they don't have Faster-than-light travel.

It takes ships about ten years to get to Helghan/Vekta. (assuming there haven't been any more advancements in propulsion technology that would allow ships to go faster.) The reason Helghan is a chokepoint isn't because of the territory, it's because it's literally the only place to get fuel for several light-years. Sure you could try to move past them while not getting any fuel, but what are you gonna do when you run out, in the middle of nowhere, or on a collision course with a planet, or the star in the system you're in? And even if Helghan isn't the only place to get fuel, it's certainly the closest, and I would think that even after 10 years your tank might be running a little low. And remember, even if you're dealing with just trade ships, and not colony ships, these things are taking around ten years to get to Helghan, then ten years to get back, or maybe a couple more years to get where they're going. Unlike in something like Star Wars; traveling between planets isn't something you can just DO. You can't press a button and zoom into hyperspace and appear above Gyre for a cup of tea around lunch time. Traveling between planets in the Killzone universe still takes YEARS.

Though again, all of this is assuming nothing else really happens to space flight technology between like 2059 and whenever the heck the games take place. Oh and you know that fleet the UCN is sending to forcibly take Helghan? The Helghan and Vektan leaders know they're coming, and they've got around ten years to prepare for them. Sure they've got the Heavy Cruisers, which are still probably going to be an issue, but if you have ten years to prepare, build the biggest loving gun you can possibly build and hope to god it doesn't explode.

Of course, I'm speaking as someone who doesn't know how the timeline goes from here. Earth's forces could get there and just wreck the Helghan's poo poo, but considering what we're looking at, in game, I doubt they managed a complete recapturing of Helghan and Vekta.
At the time, anyway. I do like the slight Forever War aspect given to the space travel. You could send forces to one world only to find them hopelessly outmatched in technology. I imagine one of the reasons Earth so needs "colonial resources" is in the ever desperate race to remain the foremost technological power in Human Space by orders of magnitude.

Of course, considering that things might change in the future, maybe Earth has nothing to worry about. Discovering FTL technology would make Earth's superiority unmatched, since you'd have no time to prepare a proper defence fleet before the UCN arrived. Which might also explain Earth's desperate thirst for resources. I can't imagine research into breaking the laws of physics and relativity over their knee is exactly light on Earth's budget.

I do find interesting that the ISA has such loyalty to Earth, though. Being Vektans and Helghans (in the 2100-2200s), they should theoretically have greater loyalty to their homes than far away Earth. Instead, Earth seems to avoid the problem of using native forces without issue.

Perhaps they managed to institute the same kind of symbolism about Earth that permeates the Supreme Commander Universe. He who holds Earth is the rightful government of Mankind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

You guys, you can never have enough Shakespeare!

D:

I say you can never have enough Homer, but nobody listens.

So what if only two works are attributed to him?!

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I dunno.

Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie was pretty bad.

(Unlike Shakespeare, who rules.)

I don't think we're talking about the same Homer.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Neruz posted:

It was blindsided :v:

… That was horrible, Neruz.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

gyrobot posted:

Norway was supposed to become the last bastion of the Reich, Vekta in 3 surrendered. During Shadowfall, half of the country became a bastion for the Helghast after it became very obvious the Helghast kicked the ISA's collective teeth in. But people love to throw parallels of ISA being SpaceAmerica. If the ISA were a mix of SpaceSoviets with SpaceFrench (aka hardline generals who performs field executions of disobdient men while being ruthless avatars of war who one mans Helghast soldies) more people would like the ISA.

French Soldiers are pretty badass. Not as badass as the Poles, but then again who is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Those are French-Canadian soldiers.

Descendants of French soldiers, hardened by the cold Quebec weather and embittered by 300 years of Conquest by the English.

Very Badass and usually pretty angry. But still not as Badass as the Poles (who make it a point of taunting their foes before engaging battle).

Of course, War is the Business of the French, and they are very good at their business.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 18, 2014

• Locked thread