Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I can't wait to see how you guys delve into the Killzone series. Definitely a favorite of mine, and excited to see how this develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Inriri posted:

I like to believe that part of the dev team are actively trying to stop the writers from making the actual games interesting. My proof is that they still haven't made a game that's entirely through the eyes of the Helghast.

I always felt like they didn't want to go with the "You play as the genocidal murderers who started an inter-stellar war" angle as it might hurt sales.

It's like how you don't see first person World War 2 shooting games with you, the player, as the Germans.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just as a note on the swastika, it was used by many other groups, organisations and militaries before Nazi Germany ever got around to using it. In most cases I've heard or read about, the swastika was used as a symbol of luck, rather than wealth or prosperity.

The best example of this is with the Finnish Air Force, who adopted the swastika (Actually called the Hakaristi in Finland) back in 1918 when Swedish count Eric von Rosen donated an aircraft (Their second since creation) to them. Count von Rosen painted the blue Hakaristi on the aircraft as his personal good luck charm, and the Finns adopted it as their own. The white background was added afterwards. After the war ended for Finland, the allies pressured Finland to change and remove all forms of the Hakaristi due to its close resemblance to the swastika.

Wikipedia provides a flag for the Finnish Air Force Staff with two swastikas on it and dates it 1958, although I can't confirm any long-term use.

Fun Fact: Eric von Rosen was a brother-in-law to Hermann Goring.
Latvia used a red swastika for their air force up until their dissolution when annexed by the Soviet Union

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

We're going to be seeing a lot more of Helgan iconography as we head into the Killzone 2 and 3, and the parallels to the Soviet and Korean "mythology of the state" is beyond unnerving at times.

I seriously need to replay Killzone 2 and 3 to see for myself, cause that's awesome. drat you Nine-Gear Crow and Blind Sally, a man has only oh so much free time! :argh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
As a gun owner, I've never shot with or seen an orange-tinted scope. I do use orange or yellow tinted shooting glasses, but it's to reduce glare + eye protection and doesn't darken your view as badly as sunglasses normally would. I don't remember them using that orange tint in the later games for the sniper rifles, so maybe this was just a one-off?

I wouldn't say that this game really references world war I at all. Aside from the boot, which may or may not be a reference to All Quiet on the Western Front, trenches weren't used solely in World War 1. The point of trenches is to provide a decent amount of cover and protection from enemy action, whether that comes from infantry, artillery or other heavy weapons. I would look at the entire thing (At least so far) as a comparison to just World War 2 and how it has taken a sort of "total war" aspect, with whole cities being targeted and reduced to rubble. And while some cities were the subject of aerial bombing in World War 1, they hardly ever had a devastating, or large area of, effect.

For the grenades and their "cooking off" timers, 5 seconds has been the standard for a grenade's fuse for the longest time. It might seem long, but it's hardly uncharacteristic and serves a good purpose.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

M13 Semi-Automatic Shotgun

Also known as the LS13 Shotgun. Made by the ISA, but often utilized by Helghast soldiers. I don't really know what's up with it. It is called a "semi-automatic" weapon, but needs to be pumped after every shot. That's not semi-automatic, is it? People with gun knowledge, help me out!

Modeled after the Franchi SPAS-12, which actually shoots as a semi-automatic and pump-action firearm depending on what sort of ammunition is used. The whole "press 3 buttons for 3 shots" uhhh... mechanic, is probably why they labelled it as a semi-automatic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

We're on the receiving end. It's subtle, super subtle, but Guerrilla has framed it so that the heroes are in the position of the Nazi Germans repelling the Allied advance. I mean, look at the above image, of a Helghast APC rolling off of an amphibious landing craft, and compare it to this image from D-Day:

Eh? Eh? Though are technically playing as the heroes of the story, we are quietly being framed as the villains. We are the invading forces who have occupied France, and the Allies are fighting back in a desperate bid to retake it. No really, look back at the earlier history for this franchise: the ISA invaded and took Vekta from the Helghan Corporation, then packed them all off to Helghan. This sort of thing will reoccur throughout the series, so Guerrilla is obviously being very deliberate in how they are framing their conflicts.

The British never used the Crusader tank on D-day, and that photo (found on wikipedia) has a caption stating it was taken in 1942.

I am a huge nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

Gosh darn it! I'm in a place with unreliable internet. so I Googled "dday amphibious tank" ignored results for Hobart's funnies and grabbed the first image I could find without sourcing it. :eng99:

What if it was more of a Japan thing with island hopping, except replace island with planet?

I am naturally compelled to point out corrections with material concerning WW2 because I'm a giant nerd and own too much stuff related to that topic.

:canada:

• Locked thread