Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Painting. Anything you don't care about. Or just let him do the primer coat. But don't let him eat the paint! :D

But the "gopher" suggestion is great, I totally did that in my dad's shop (retrieving tools and supplies teaches the names of those items, and watching someone use them teaches how/why they're used) until I was old enough to be trusted with a hammer and not immediately pulp a finger or hit a window or something. At that point my dad gave me a big ol' hammer, some big-rear end nails, some scraps of 2x4/4x4/etc, and then just left me to sit in the dirt and hammer them together and then pry them apart until the nails were ruined.

2 and a half is pretty young to be wielding tools which can smash or cut or stab though, imho. Probably depends largely on your kid. But they DO make toy toolbelts and poo poo for a reason.. A cousin of mine wanted to be Bob the Builder from as far back as anyone in the family can remember, and almost all the toys he ever got were plastic hammers and saws and stuff until he was old enough to use real ones. Now he's a finish carpenter and owns a contracting company. :D

For starting screws, get a bar of cheap soap and have the kid rub each wood screw in the soap. It lubricates and makes it a ton easier to drive in a good-sized screw. And he'll learn FAST to not eat the soap! :)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread