Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Cicero posted:

I have a 2.5 year old that I'd like to do more DIY stuff with. He really likes to 'help', and my wife and I are trying to train him up to be independent and productive early, figuring that it's easier to start now. Obviously at his current age we're pretty limited in what we can do, but I figure goons will have some ideas.

We already sometimes let him help with simple things like starting screws, stirring pots and cutting veggies*, and we've gone to the adventure park in Berkeley. What other DIY things do people do with their kids? The more independent the kid can be in the activity the better, but I'm open to hearing anything.

* with extremely hands-on supervision of course

^ Canyoneer had the same idea.

Take them to Home Depot/Lowe's every Saturday I think at 9am. They have workshops where they have projects specifically designed for kids, like building bird feeders and poo poo. I have two boys (ages 3,4) and I commiserate with you - everytime they come into the garage I have to give them something to do. I let them tool around with my smaller screwdrivers and have set aside miniature multi-tools for when they are a bit older. And of course, when I need them to scram out of the garage for safety reasons, I power on the router which is loving loud as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Boy do kids love ladders.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

That little kid and his amish tools blow my skills away. I like the dramatic flourish at the end where he dishes out the rook. "Look upon THAT, fair damsel."

• Locked thread