Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Cicero posted:

I have a 2.5 year old that I'd like to do more DIY stuff with. He really likes to 'help', and my wife and I are trying to train him up to be independent and productive early, figuring that it's easier to start now. Obviously at his current age we're pretty limited in what we can do, but I figure goons will have some ideas.

We already sometimes let him help with simple things like starting screws, stirring pots and cutting veggies*, and we've gone to the adventure park in Berkeley. What other DIY things do people do with their kids? The more independent the kid can be in the activity the better, but I'm open to hearing anything.

* with extremely hands-on supervision of course

When I was younger my dad taught me a bit about electronics and logic by building out a simple train set with signals. At the time I took away that you could complete a circuit with the axles of Lionel trains. Using relays at the time we built out a simple blocking system like "if the train is in block b, the signal before block b is red."

You could do something like that infinitely easier with all of the embedded stuff that is accessible, but that requires programming and isn't really a hands on activity anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
I'm not sure exactly what two year old children are capable of, but somewhere about 5ish (I think?) I had my own set of jewelers screwdrivers and I used to get to take apart old toys that I had outgrown. It got me into the way things were made, and I was almost able to build most of them again, after I had wasted a bunch of smaller toys.

I'd imagine this could be made into a group activity where you could go buy a dollar store toy and then look at what makes it do stuff.

Don't underestimate how rad it is to hold a flashlight as a kid, if you're working on a car or something, even if you don't need light, he can always 'help' by holding a light.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Suave Fedora posted:

^ Canyoneer had the same idea.

Take them to Home Depot/Lowe's every Saturday I think at 9am. They have workshops where they have projects specifically designed for kids, like building bird feeders and poo poo.

I totally forgot this was a thing. That poo poo was rad when I was younger, I got to make a birdhouse and some kind of box that I was really proud of for some reason.

JEEVES420 posted:

My Dad never owned a set of clamps till we were all too old to sit on the boards he was cutting. Nothing more terrifying as a kid than your Dad tossing the circular saw across the yard as he screams "Get in the Car!" to go buy a new one. :D

When I was 10 or so, my dad was redoing part of the house and we needed sheetrock; We did not have a car appropriate for moving sheetrock. We had some Dodge Caravan or something from the early 90s. To compensate for the lack of space in the car we drove it back with the back of the van open with me crouched holding the sides of these four sheets of sheetrock. TL;DR one of the pieces of sheetrock hit the road going like 40.

I used to love going to hardware stores, my dad would explain tools to me if he was in a good mood, I learned a lot about tools I probably never would have used otherwise.

• Locked thread