Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
New Oath thread? Let's give this another go.

:hist101:I, Tadhg, Oath to paint these 5 Wood Elf Eternal Guard!:hist101:

They are 28mm, from the Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy Wood Elf line. It is my hope to paint them very prettily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:Oath Complete!:hist101:

Prior to work:

Some basecoating:

Some more basecoating:

I forgot to take pics at the wash and highlight stages, too busy working.

But then, completed Wood Elves!

Claiming Jurnal and Themed Group this month.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Awesome looking Oaths, everybody! This year looks like it's starting off great.

A quick question: is there anything happening this year in terms of special basing and/or conversion work? I know it was a something in the last thread, but I'm not sure about Season 5. I ask, because I have a special conversion I'm about to work on that's also going to have a big scenic base, and I'm not sure if I should just dive right in or save it for later.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Oh, :hellyeah: this month is exactly what I've been hoping for!

:hist101:I, Tadhg, Oath the Wood Elf Sisters of Twilight on Gwindalor for the month of June:hist101:

The Sisters are from Games Workshop's Wood Elf "Sisters of Twilight on Forest Dragon" kit, and the giant eagle being used for Gwindalor is Game Workshop's Wood Elf "Lord on Giant Eagle" kit.

This is going to be an army centerpiece, so I'm going to try to do my best. Let's see what happens...

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

ijyt posted:

If you're about to prime models, you also have time to take a photo of them in bare plastic.

Alternatively, there's also time to take a photo of them while you're waiting for the first coat of primer to dry.

Mountains out of molehills.

This. To my knowledge, the intent of photos of bare/primed models way back when was to show that no work had been done on the model besides assembling it. The oath thread was always about getting people to paint their goony piles of unpainted models- usually bare plastic, but some people spray prime their models after assembly and just play with those. Either way, they're models with no actual artistic effort put into them yet.

Once you start talking about zenith priming or picking out different parts with base colors or shading recesses with black air paint after priming white or whatever, you're working on the model in multiple steps. Step One should be to take your picture, Step Two+ is where color or contrast or your special homemade glaze or whatever starts to get added.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Just a question: if we're adding bits to our bases this month, do we need to take AP photos with those as well? I'm taking a series of photos of the assembly process to do a Double the Fun month, but I'm not sure if I need to take a timestamped AP photo of the non-model parts going on the base.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

If I'm lucky, my Oath *might* be in a paintable state by the end of this weekend.

I've never had a modelling project take this much time, or this many steps that I have to wait after.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Very nice looking Oaths rolling in! I love end of the month, getting to see what everyone has painted.

I've been laid up with a neck injury for the past week, and haven't accomplished much on the way of painting. Still have two days, at least!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Oath is nearly done, just waiting for the gloss coat to dry before I spray it with matte. Then touch up anything dulled too much by the candy coat, photo it, and post!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

It's down to the wire, but,

:hist101:Oath Complete!:hist101:

I'm going to leave this as a placeholder to show that the Oath was finished, but I'm in the process of uploading a bunch of photos for the slideshow. I'll put those in a later post, rather than editing this one, to keep the timestamps consistent.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Time for better Oath Pics!

The post for the Oath:
The completed Oath post, just under the wire:

And now cool pictures of stuff!

Here's the assembly! :hist101:

Unassembled Eagle and Sisters. They don't normally sit on an eagle, the kit they come from has them riding on a dragon. It's going to take a bunch of drilling, pinning, filing, and wholesale chopping away of parts of the minis to make them fit on that tiny eagle back.

The ruined Waystone, taken from a High Elf Dragon kit. Rather than use a spindly little clear plastic rod to hold up a big metal model, I'm going to use this as an awesome perch.

The Eagle and sisters assembled. In addition to pinning, all of the metal parts are bonded with JB Weld to make a near-permenant join. I've had too many superglued eagles have wings snap off.

The Eagle attached to the Waystone. I ran a thick steel rod through the top of the Waystone for his feet to grip on and bear most of the weight, and ran a brass rod vertically to help prevent him from trying to tilt forward/backward and snapping his ankles. Again, JB Weld makes everything stay forever.

Add a bunch of brambles and spites and other goofy poo poo. Wood Elves kits come with a lot of spites for base dressing, and I decided to use pretty much every type I could find in my bits box. The brambles are a combination of leftover Dryad bits and a few pieces from a Citadel Wood. I also added a few Beastmen skulls to give the impression that a battle took place here a long, long time ago.

All assembled, ready to prime:

And the finished product!

Overall view of the model:

Top view of the Sisters and Gwindalor's wings:

Alternate top view:

Overall view of the base. Can you spot the green spite?

View from the right side. This little guy with the arrow is one of my favorite spite models.

Rotating a bit, view from the back right side. Painting the glowing runes was a lot of fun, and not as difficult as I expected. Definitely something I plan to do more in the future with elven waystones and such.

Back left view. More spites, more brambles, more runes.

Closer view of the base front. I really loved putting together the base for this model. The broken Waystone
made for an awesome mount, and really made the model feel special.

I'm claiming the special basing Jurnal this month, as well as last month's Jurnal of WIP photos for Double the Fun.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 1, 2014

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

I'm running behind on everything this month, but since LoJ is finally over I at least have evenings free again. Still going have to keep it small, so here goes:

:hist101:I, Tadhg, Oath to paint Gandalf, Saruman, and a palantir for the month of July!:hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:July Oath Complete!:hist101:

Jurnal entry is some slight glow on the top of the platform from Sauron's Eye within the palantir.

Quick and dirty this month (my white paints hate me and turned to glue tonight), but I have a couple more special projects I hope to work on in the coming month or two! :hist101:

• Locked thread